Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

Silver Man
Starter
And1: 524

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#161 » by Silver Man » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:06 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:
Silver Man wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:Eh, not sure what you expected out of 40, 47, and 60. I know we didnt have a first so most kings fans were hoping to get some "steals" here. Reality is 2nd round is always a dart throw. We will be lucky if 1 of these guys becomes a bench player, and maybe 5 of the whole 2nd round.

Vlade has done fine drafting. You can blame him for passing on doncic, but bagley is pretty damn good himself.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using RealGM mobile app

Not including seconds because none of them have been good that Vlade has drafted.

Vlade is responsible for drafting one of the worst picks of all time in Papagiannis plus trading an unprotected first rounder, drafting Bagley over Luka. Drafting Fox was an obvious pick. Giles is still TBD, Jackson was not very good. Vlades is a bottom 3 GM. Always has been always will.

You can't say that. His draft record outside of an obvious player being there is indeed spotty. Horrible in fact. Where scouting and talent evaluation comes into play the Kings are abysmal.

Add in the fact that he traded an unprotected pick to end up sign Rondo, Belinelli(oh yeah who we traded for Malachai Richardson another awful player), Koufos. Tried to sign Lavine to a ridiculous contract but got lucky the Bulls are just as dumb.

Vlade is not good at his job.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#162 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:31 am

Silver Man wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Silver Man wrote:Cannot believe we did not draft Jontay Porter if he wanted to do a stash. Another incompetent evening from Vlade. Just the usual.
Eh, not sure what you expected out of 40, 47, and 60. I know we didnt have a first so most kings fans were hoping to get some "steals" here. Reality is 2nd round is always a dart throw. We will be lucky if 1 of these guys becomes a bench player, and maybe 5 of the whole 2nd round.

Vlade has done fine drafting. You can blame him for passing on doncic, but bagley is pretty damn good himself.

Not including seconds because none of them have been good that Vlade has drafted.

Vlade is responsible for drafting one of the worst picks of all time in Papagiannis plus trading an unprotected first rounder, drafting Bagley over Luka. Drafting Fox was an obvious pick. Giles is still TBD, Jackson was not very good. Vlades is a bottom 3 GM. Always has been always will.
You can say the same about most gms. Dude seriously, Google NBA draft 2014 and look at the last 5 years of 2nd round picks. You've got about a 10% chance of even getting a bench player.

2015 no 2nd rounder
2016 we had the 59th pick Isiah cousins who never played
2017 Frank Mason
2018 sold our 2nd

So how many 2nds has he really missed on?

We dont need to rehash the stauskas trade. That was a **** move. But it was also done when the goal was to compete around DeMarcus moving into a new arena. And if DeMarcus doesnt get sick and we dont fire malone who knows what happens yadda yadda yadda.

Since that trade hes been fine.

Papa was garbage, but so was that draft. Next 5 picks valentine, hernangomez, yabusele, Baldwin, ellenson. Not a difference maker in sight, hell not even a role player.. The reality is we traded #8 (chriss) for Bogdan/13/28. That trade was a huge win even if we didnt get those draft picks.

Drafting bagley over luka isnt decided. Hype luka all you want we dont know how these careers will turn out. Both have sky high potential.

Fox was absolutely not the obvious pick. That's revisionist theory. The entire GB gave us **** for that pick. People were screaming DSJ was the better PG, and issac was the better player. Fox was a pg who couldnt shoot and was too skinny.

Again with Jackson I dont know what you expect. I feel you have some unreal fairytale expectation that every pick is supposed to hit or it's a bad pick. If you get a 7th/8th man with the 15th pick you've done a great job. The fact that we have a player with Giles potential that we got at 20 is absolutely amazing.

I'm tired of this kind of attitude honestly. We have the brightest future we've had in 15 years thanks to vlade and you want to complain about 2nd round picks? Give me a **** break.

Maybe you forget what we did with our draft picks prior to vlade coming here. Ferdette, Robinson, McLemore, stauskas. All top 10 picks, pretty much all of them out of the league or not in NBA rotations.

KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Post#163 » by KF10 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:34 am

2nd rounders rarely pans out.

I would be elated if one player from our draft and SL make it to the Kings rotation next season.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#164 » by City of Trees » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:49 am

Ideally you want two 2nd round picks each year to fill your two way Contracts. Eventually one could pan out. It'll be an even greater need once the draft age rule changes. Multiple 2nds are the new way of developing your G League team. Picking 40+ tonight was never about the 2019 Kings roster. It was about adding to the 209 farm system.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#165 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:58 am

KF10 wrote:2nd rounders rarely pans out.

I would be elated if one player from our draft and SL make it to the Kings rotation next season.

Exactly. I swear I feel like I'm going crazy today. People are genuinely upset and I dont understand. The draft is this flashy thing where we see chaucy billips comparing 2nd round picks to all stars and we think every player will pan out. 2 years later we look back and forget who the hell these 2nd rounders even were.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,232

Post#166 » by blind prophet » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:02 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:

Exactly. I swear I feel like I'm going crazy today. People are genuinely upset and I dont understand. The draft is this flashy thing where we see chaucy billips comparing 2nd round picks to all stars and we think every player will pan out. 2 years later we look back and forget who the hell these 2nd rounders even were.

I'll never be happy about cash considerations man.

I am pleased with Guy's potential.

Vlade wants to stash a Euro at 60? I get it.

Have no idea about the 40th pick.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#167 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:07 am

blind prophet wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

I'll never be happy about cash considerations man.

I am pleased with Guy's potential.

Vlade wants to stash a Euro at 60? I get it.

Have no idea about the 40th pick.
TBH I dont really care about 2nd rounders, I cant get excited over guys who will probably be out of the league within a few years. If we've got one in the 31-40 range sure. After that whatever. If we can make a few million here and there and the owners then show willingness to spend later on great. I wont judge pockets off now, I'll judge them when it comes time to pay the young guys and improve the team.

Cash considerations isnt new. This is common practice at this point. Tbh I'm surprised we even kept 3 picks, figured 1-2 would be sold for cash.

SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#168 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:11 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:

There always seems to be a steal or two. The truth is Vlade drafted players for the most part that would have likely been undrafted. He's reached before and it didn't work out. It might work out now but 5 SG's? Wouldn't bet on it.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#169 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:37 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

There always seems to be a steal or two. The truth is Vlade drafted players for the most part that would have likely been undrafted. He's reached before and it didn't work out. It might work out now but 5 SG's? Wouldn't bet on it.
If Kyle guy has any future in the NBA it's as a seth curry backup pg imo. Vanja will never play in the NBA.

I agree though, we could have taken a sf and hoped for the best. That said, Tbh I'm a big believer in fit when it comes to 2nd rounders. All these kids have talent, it comes down to putting them in the right place, developing, and lots of luck. Look at GS, how many guys have come thru there and looked serviceable only to fizzle out on the next team when asked to do more.

James can at least score we know that much about him. Impossible to judge the roster when we dont know what it looks like even 2 weeks from now. What If we plan to trade bogdan? What if James proves to be a decent backup 2?

blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,232

Post#170 » by blind prophet » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:34 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

If Kyle guy has any future in the NBA it's as a seth curry backup pg imo. Vanja will never play in the NBA.

I agree though, we could have taken a sf and hoped for the best. That said, Tbh I'm a big believer in fit when it comes to 2nd rounders. All these kids have talent, it comes down to putting them in the right place, developing, and lots of luck. Look at GS, how many guys have come thru there and looked serviceable only to fizzle out on the next team when asked to do more.

James can at least score we know that much about him. Impossible to judge the roster when we dont know what it looks like even 2 weeks from now. What If we plan to trade bogdan? What if James proves to be a decent backup 2?

James is 6'7, we do have some depth issues behind Barnes at the SF assuming he stays put. Bogi if he stays still gives Guy a chance to see the floor as a better facilitator.

Vlade's stash even if it takes 5 years to come over is potentially better than an almost certain wash.

I am a tad optimistic.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#171 » by sacking123 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:59 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

That's a really good point and teams I think will start to latch onto this line of thinking. Draft the 2nd round for fit where they will have a role with the team in the first 2 seasons. Otherwise it just doesn't work too often. I'm guilty of thinking about high potential prospects because let's be honest, it's the 2nd round so why not swing for the fences.
However as we progress into the new age NBA ie G League etc there will be more players selected for fit on the NBA team IMO.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#172 » by dckingsfan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:24 pm

I didn't really like our draft. I thought there was a lot of value in the second round. But - you always have to wait and see how it plays out.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#173 » by dckingsfan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:27 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

This. There is always value in the second round. Having three picks is a good thing - you just need to hit on one. I like as an organization that Vlade feels that way. Now he just needs to get the science/art down for drafting in the second round.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,001

Post#174 » by OGSactownballer » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:26 am

Quite honestly we also need to face the fact that this draft had a lot of parity between picks 10-50.

So whatever comes out of it - if something does - will seem like a steal or a bust. But the reality is, it is just a weak overall draft after the top 1; 2-4; and 5-10.

Geez, four years from now Bol Bol might be tearing up the league and Denver is the geniuses that took a chance.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#175 » by BoogieTime » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:11 am

Roby becoming the highest paid 2nd round pick ever? I’m just saying, I could attempt to GM.

Not a diss to James though, he can certainly be a 2nd round steal
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: 2019 College Basketball / NBA Draft Thread 

Post#176 » by City of Trees » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:55 am

City of Trees wrote:
codydaze wrote:Washington plays today, I'll be keeping an eye on Mathisse Thybulle. Dude is a beast on the defensive end of the floor and can knock down the outside shot.
Yeah Thybulle is probably my #1 target if we trade up.
Shameless bump

Return to Sacramento Kings