Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Re: Woj: Pacers acquire Warren and 32 from Phoenix for nothing 

Post#21 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:21 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:love the possibilities at 32.

Sent from my phone.

Yup. What if Cam Johnson falls to 32?

The guy that I've been watching drop is Kris Wilks. But I think he could be gotten in the 40's. He's the Indiana native who I mentioned the other day.

This Warren trade is much better than I expected. I said I'd do the 18 for Jackson, never thought they'd do this.

I haven't seen Wilkes listed on many, if any, mock drafts for awhile. After 40 or 45, it's really just who you want to bring in for a guaranteed tryout in camp, and a lot of guys may get drafted that promised to take a 2 way deal.

Which, if Iggy would take a 2 way, I'd LOVE to get him at 50. Amongst several other guys, too.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#22 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:22 pm

Johnson looks NBA ready, but he's an SF so that would make 3-4 of them with Doug, Bogie, Warren already on the team assuming we bring Bogie back. Same issue if the target was Wilkes. If Thad is gone I'd like a PF here like Daniel Gafford but he also might drop to the 40's.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#23 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:24 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

The guy that I've been watching drop is Kris Wilks. But I think he could be gotten in the 40's. He's the Indiana native who I mentioned the other day.

This Warren trade is much better than I expected. I said I'd do the 18 for Jackson, never thought they'd do this.

I haven't seen Wilkes listed on many, if any, mock drafts for awhile. After 40 or 45, it's really just who you want to bring in for a guaranteed tryout in camp, and a lot of guys may get drafted that promised to take a 2 way deal.

Which, if Iggy would take a 2 way, I'd LOVE to get him at 50. Amongst several other guys, too.

Who is "Iggy?"
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#24 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:27 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:Who is "Iggy?"
the kid from Michigan.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:28 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

Who is "Iggy?"

Iggy Brazdeikas from Michigan.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:29 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:Johnson looks NBA ready, but he's an SF so that would make 3-4 of them with Doug, Bogie, Warren already on the team assuming we bring Bogie back. Same issue if the target was Wilkes. If Thad is gone I'd like a PF here like Daniel Gafford but he also might drop to the 40's.

I imagine Wilkes would be a 2 way signing, also. Basically, if you're looking at someone at 50, barring them just showing out like crazy in camp (not just summer league), they're likely looking at a 2 way deal.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:45 pm

Career stats on TJ Warren.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/warretj01.html

Out of 410 career games his team has played, he's only played 261, so huge red flag. Just developed a 3 pt shot only this past year, and it kind of collapsed month by month from 48 to 42 to under 40%, so where was he on the way to plateau? Advanced stats have put him as about replacement level the last two seasons, based almost totally on his defense. How much can Burke improve him there? That's the question.
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 465

Post#28 » by granger05 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:20 am

I like the deal. I think that Warren has a scorer's mentality which we could use. He's paid reasonably for what he is and his contract runs through his age 28 season. I like using our cap space to pickup another draft pick.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#29 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:24 am

If we draft well at #32 this could be a great deal this is the way to use our cap space let's get some future picks.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,894

Post#30 » by Damkac » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:46 am

Congrats on stealing from the worst sport organization in the world. You will love TJ and what he brings for his money.
But he is sf. Suns only played him at pf because the idiots can't build a functioning roster.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#31 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:03 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wow, we got Warren and the 32 for cash? That's a slam dunk. I just went out to walmart and boom a deal happens.
love the possibilities at 32.

Sent from my phone.

LOL, came to this thread for my next post, but this made me literally laugh out loud.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#32 » by winter_mute_13 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:24 am

Damkac wrote:Congrats on stealing from the worst sport organization in the world. You will love TJ and what he brings for his money.
But he is sf. Suns only played him at pf because the idiots can't build a functioning roster.

Well that's nice to hear, but TBH I'm not convinced. From the outside, he looks like a black hole scorer who does little else. The improved shooting looks good though so hopefully that's not a fluke. It's true that his contract is not that large but the number of years is concerning.

Regarding position, if Bojan returns he is the SF, so Warren will probably be playing some PF here as well.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#33 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:28 am

I will be surprised if most here don't come to really like TJ as a player. I have been watching the Suns for a very long time, and he is one of the more natural scorers I've seen. I hated that he was always hesitant to shoot the 3 in past years, but they wanted him to add it to his game, and threw an annual bonus to his contract to hit a certain # of 3s this past season, and he worked hard with David West's brother in the offseason, shooting over 40,000 3's, completely changing his form, and he came in on fire....he came within 5 3s of earning his bonus even though he only played in half of the games this year...he was shooting them at a high % on fairly high volume.

I know his % decreased by month, but in the final month it was still 39.5%, which is still pretty good, and he finished like 8th in the NBA in 3pt%. He just started on fire in the first month at 48%. I typically look at one year spikes with hesitation but watching him and knowing he rarely shot 3s in his first 4 years, changed his form, worked that hard, and tripled his attempts, I don't think it's anything to worry about. The guy is a gym rat.

But his bread and butter has always been his touch from short to mid range. It is uncanny. You will be surprised at this touch I think...he knows how to use the backboard and rim and bounces.

He has a rep of being a ball stopper and while that can be argued, I wouldn't exactly say that's a good description without context. He has spent his whole career watching Bledsoe, Booker or even Brandon Knight pound the ball and he typically has worked as an end of the shot clock outlet. This season when we finally moved on from the Earl Watson fiasco, with Kokoskov who wanted to move the ball, he moved it if he got it early in the shot clock, but again, he often would get it to finish, because that's what he is...a damn good finisher.

He is not a good assist guy but has improved a bit in that regard. I think it's kind of in part to what his role has always been. Knowing him I think he continues to improve there even though it will never be a strength.

His defense was improved this year. It's not really reflected on some of the box score stats like on b-ref due to playing with Ayton and Booker and also because those are based on rebounds and stuff, but he was much better 1 on 1 and is pretty good with steals and will typically turn those into fast break buckets himself. His DRPM was vastly improved even though our team's D likely got much worse with Ayton.

Anyway, I think you will enjoy watching him and I'm glad he's on a team I actually pull for...love your team and like the smaller market teams so I will be watching.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,187

Post#34 » by Nuntius » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:29 am

Pacersike wrote:Weird move. Injury prone player, weak rebounder for a 4, eating up our cap space for free agents.

I guess the Pacers already know that only the Ellis/Tyreke free agents want to join the Pacers again so they take the gamble for another pick.

We still have more than enough for a max. Picking up Warren doesn't affect who we're going to target in FA. What it does affect is that we won't be able to keep both Bojan and Thad. We need to make a choice between the two now since part of the money that would go to these now will now go to Warren.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#35 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:33 am

winter_mute_13 wrote:
Damkac wrote:Congrats on stealing from the worst sport organization in the world. You will love TJ and what he brings for his money.

Well that's nice to hear, but TBH I'm not convinced. From the outside, he looks like a black hole scorer who does little else. The improved shooting looks good though so hopefully that's not a fluke. It's true that his contract is not that large but the number of years is concerning.

Regarding position, if Bojan returns he is the SF, so Warren will probably be playing some PF here as well.

Somewhat of a younger version of Bojan... this past year comparison.. http://bkref.com/tiny/rHuRe also better DRPM

Same age comparison... http://bkref.com/tiny/j2yYB

Also, I didn't mention above, but I meant to...I think he will thrive on a new team and especially under a coach like Nate McMillan, particularly when it comes to defense and moving the ball. I think he will continue to grow.....he works very hard...I think he continues to grow like Bojan did when he got there.

I should have mentioned games played too. Hornacek didn't play him in most games in his rookie year so he rode the bench. He started playing him after a while in his second, but he broke his foot and was out the rest of the year. In his third our medical staff made a mistake and gave him the wrong fluid and put him in the hospital...this isn't public info but was classified as a "head injury" and he was out for a while in the middle of the season. 17-18 they sat him to tank after a minor injury. This past year he has a bone bruise for the last half....the ankle had bothered him since November.

He really had two legit injuries...the broken foot that ended his second season and this ankle bruise this year.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,894

Post#36 » by Damkac » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:06 am

winter_mute_13 wrote:

He don't gets assists but I wouldn't call him black hole. It's not like he dribble for half of shot clock without thinking of passing to anyone. If he can he score, if not he gives the ball back. I also think his passing and defense will improve on a functional team unlike in the $arver circus.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,187

Post#37 » by Nuntius » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:00 am

Damkac wrote:
winter_mute_13 wrote:

He don't gets assists but I wouldn't call him black hole. It's not like he dribble for half of shot clock without thinking of passing to anyone. If he can he score, if not he gives the ball back.

So, he is basically used as a finisher, right?
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,142

Post#38 » by Gremz » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:32 pm

For anyone concerned about Indy's "Max space" potential, you must realize we are simply not that kind of franchise. Will we entertain offers for such players? Absolutely. Would they theoretically sign in Indiana? Probably not.

We've always made a habit of utilizing our cap space to build talent usually via trade and draft, and I think this trade is a perfect example of how we go about business. Very happy with the deal, and from what I hear about Warren I think he'll not only fill a big need, but also fit this culture to a tee.
Guzman_9
Pro Prospect
And1: 183

Post#39 » by Guzman_9 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:59 pm

I am also happy about the trade. We aren’t a team with tons of assets. We literally had 6 players on roster. I still hold small grain of hope we at least try for DLo but I doubt it. I know its gonna happen that we probably end up with Rubio which THAT I won’t be happy about. I’m tired of the Pacers just plugging in PGs to bid time.
Pacer Fan. 8-)
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:15 pm

So, if we were to be able to dump Doug's deal for cap space (would likely be cheaper than TJ's dump, and we know have an extra 4 future 2nd round picks via Miami and Utah), we would have almost $41m in cap space, enough to keep Bojan's cap hold on the books, and still offer D'Angelo Russell a full max offer. Just, food for thought. No guarantees we even pursue it, but we're in a position to be flexible enough to do most of anything.

Return to Indiana Pacers