ImageImage

How do you rate the Hawks Draft and who was your favorite pick?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

pacehawk
Freshman
And1: 39

How do you rate the Hawks Draft and who was your favorite pick? 

Post#1 » by pacehawk » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:00 am

I definitely give the Hawks a solid A and I while I think Hunter is probably the best player (And, I guess the Hawks think so too since he was their 1st selection!) in the Hawks draft Fernando was my favorite selection (Did NOT see that trade coming and in my personal opinion he was a HUGE steal and a GREAT VALUE pick!)!
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Re: How do you rate the Hawks Draft and who was your favorite pick? 

Post#2 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:03 am

We jumped Cleveland for Hunter at 4
Reddish fell to 10 for us
Bruno the surprise pick.

I love it all.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 972

Post#3 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:35 am

Think this was the best draft we've ever had. Favorite pick was Bruno even though we got Reddish also because that came out of nowhere.

A+ draft for me. Feels like Christmas came early. Got everything I wanted and more. Thanks dad(Travis)
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#4 » by Buzzard » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:56 am

I was worried about not taking a big. Bruno was icing on the cake. This is a A+. We filled needs but also took quality. Cam may be seen as a reach; but we need to swing for the fences and we did.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Nathan2331
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#5 » by Nathan2331 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:02 am

A+ draft. I didn't like how much we have up to get to #4, but it honestly didn't matter when we got Reddish at #10. I personally don't have much of an opinion on Fernando, but he's obviously highly regarded so I can only hope he lives up to the praise. Travis Schlenk amazes again. I still question his negotiating abilities on trades and it remains to be seen if he can eventually secure a big free agent, but he's definitely got a great vision for the team.
Threezus
Veteran
And1: 1,622

Post#6 » by Threezus » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:03 am

Outside of getting Zion this was the best draft possible for me of the people i wanted. Bol Bol and Bruno were the 2 Centers i really liked alot in this draft and both fell to the 2nd round lol. But we ended up with 1 of them and everyone here already knows my love fest for Hunter and Reddish. So A++ and Schlenk is without a doubt one of the best GM's we have ever had in Atlanta for almost any of our teams in any sport. What he has done to retool us and get us prepared for the next decade of hawks basketball is nothing short of phenomenal and impressive. I was already pretty much trusting in him after the last few drafts but this one just pushes it over the top. Even if these 2 guys flop i won't be mad or blame it on him because they were the 2 guys i wanted besides Zion the most and maybe Culver although i liked hunter and reddish more than him.
Threezus
Veteran

Post#7 » by Threezus » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:04 am

Buzzard wrote:I was worried about not taking a big. Bruno was icing on the cake. This is a A+. We filled needs but also took quality. Cam may be seen as a reach; but we need to swing for the fences and we did.

Cam was actually the best value we got probably not a reach. Cam was considered a top 5 to 7 pick in almost every mock draft and no one expected him to fall to 10. We got crazy lucky that it happened and that Rui went at 9 no one expected that at all.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#8 » by Buzzard » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:07 am

Threezus wrote:
Buzzard wrote:I was worried about not taking a big. Bruno was icing on the cake. This is a A+. We filled needs but also took quality. Cam may be seen as a reach; but we need to swing for the fences and we did.

Cam was actually the best value we got probably not a reach. Cam was considered a top 5 to 7 pick in almost every mock draft and no one expected him to fall to 10. We got crazy lucky that it happened and that Rui went at 9 no one expected that at all.

Talking about other folks view, the media.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Threezus
Veteran

Post#9 » by Threezus » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:11 am

Buzzard wrote:
Threezus wrote:

Talking about other folks view, the media.

Not sure about other folks in general but my reply was based on the media lol. Thats where he has gotten most of his love although im sure that was because of being a Dukey with RJ and Zion. But they were huge on him overall and alot of them thought we were going to trade up for him leading up to the draft. Now on that note we are the hawks and the media usually hates us so now that we took him at 10 they will for sure do a 180 and say we reached on him in the media after they praised him before hand. We know how this game goes in atlanta my friend ;)
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,326

Post#10 » by Worst_to_First » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:18 am

Great draft guys!

Cam was drafted at the same number that Paul George was. A very good sign.

EDIT: Oh my post was the 10th as well LOL.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:49 am

This draft might turn out better than last year's draft...which is really saying something.

Bruno in the 2nd round is great.

Reddish at #10 was great.

Getting DS Hunter in general is great.

Well played, TS.

Hunter should be a rock-solid fourth or fifth starter in his prime. If Reddish can improve as a shooter, he could be a star. In the end, the Hawks drafted one of the safest bets in the draft while also gambling on a player with one of the highest ceilings. Very solid night.
SI.com
Duff Man
Ballboy
And1: 20

Post#12 » by Duff Man » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:55 am

This draft was crazy good. TS really leveraged all the assets into an amazing load of talent. For once, the chips fell in our favor (Fernando? WOW). The Hawks are going to be possibly the most entertaining team to watch next season. Likely playoff contestants.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#13 » by kg01 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:56 am

jayu70 wrote:We jumped Cleveland for Hunter at 4
Reddish fell to 10 for us
Bruno the surprise pick.

I love it all.

Yup. I also love the picks we didn't make. It turned my stomach seeing Hayes in a Hawks hat. I was sitting there like, "Wait, this is the pick going to NOP ... no, that was the 10 ... wait no, that was the 8 ... no, no he's definitely not a Hawk ... *whew* ok, I'm good."

:(
:wink:
king01 :king:
kg01
General Manager

Post#14 » by kg01 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:57 am

Duff Man wrote:This draft was crazy good. TS really leveraged all the assets into an amazing load of talent. For once, the chips fell in our favor (Fernando? WOW). The Hawks are going to be possibly the most entertaining team to watch next season. Likely playoff contestants.

We should teach a draft class for Pat Riley and Dan E. strAinge.

Don't be reaching for guys and don't be sittin' on assets 'til they lose value.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:58 am

kg01 wrote:We should teach a draft class for Pat Riley and Dan E. strAinge.

Wes Wilcox and Mike Budenholzer should be forced to attend that class as well.
kg01
General Manager

Post#16 » by kg01 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:59 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:We should teach a draft class for Pat Riley and Dan E. strAinge.

Wes Wilcox and Mike Budenholzer should be forced to attend that class as well.

No, they were expelled from school. Never to return.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#17 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:02 pm

hawks_fan25
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#18 » by hawks_fan25 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:16 pm

I wanted to complain about some of the moves, but everything ended up working out perfectly. Almost as if TS had scripted the night and it went exactly as he had in his script. We are probably a playoff team in the east, but I do hope all the vets we've picked up in the trades don't take court time from the youngsters. I'd much rather see us finish out of the playoff with all the young guys learning how to play together than to be in the playoffs with Bazemore, Crabbe and Hill eating minutes.

I'm hoping Hill gets released and Crabbe and Bazemore just split time as the 9th and 10th reserves.

Either way it goes this year, we have an exciting young core and about $65m in expirings! Exciting times.
Duff Man
Ballboy
And1: 20

Post#19 » by Duff Man » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:33 pm

It just hit me how shrewd the trade in the draft was last year. That's long-term planning right there. A gamble? Absolutely, but one that paid off handsomely. Young, Huerter, Spellman, Hunter, Reddish, Fernando...my goodness.
kg01
General Manager

Post#20 » by kg01 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:40 pm

hawks_fan25 wrote:I wanted to complain about some of the moves, but everything ended up working out perfectly. Almost as if TS had scripted the night and it went exactly as he had in his script. We are probably a playoff team in the east, but I do hope all the vets we've picked up in the trades don't take court time from the youngsters. I'd much rather see us finish out of the playoff with all the young guys learning how to play together than to be in the playoffs with Bazemore, Crabbe and Hill eating minutes.

I'm hoping Hill gets released and Crabbe and Bazemore just split time as the 9th and 10th reserves.

Either way it goes this year, we have an exciting young core and about $65m in expirings! Exciting times.

All indications are that Crabbe wants a buyout. Also smells like Hill could get waived. I don't mind Bazemore here in a mentor-role. He was toggled in/out of the lineup last year nicely. Use him to spell the new wangs and we'll be fine. Bembry may be the odd man out.

Return to Atlanta Hawks