ImageImageImage

Pat Riley

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Pat Riley 

Post#1 » by HeatIn5 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:38 pm

First things first, I love Pat Riley. He has been here since 1995, and deserves to have his name in the rafters as much as anyone that has ever touched this organization.

He has put us in a position to be truly named as one of the premier basketball franchises, and when you hear people mention the class of the Miami HEAT organization it is a direct result of the impact Pat has had.

With that being said, I think it is time for him to go.

Honestly, it has nothing to do with his on the court moves. Despite the mistakes of giving contracts to JJ, Whiteside and Waiters (mistakes all teams make, giving deals to guys that have good sample size run) he just seems a step slow and a step off.

Listen to the difference between even his end of season press conference and the one he did after the draft last night. It took him a moment to even remember Tyler's name, compared him to TJ and McGruder, and then said and I quote "He's much more than a shooter. He can catch and shoot too".

Now, question Pat all you want and throw him to the wolves. For me, I genuinely feel bad for him and last night he just looked done. He looked exhausted, and it was sad to see.

Someone said Shulaesque and I agree.

Pat wants to win one so bad, and I want that for him. But can't he do it from an advisor role and let someone with more fire and hunger be the face of the team?
Read on Twitter
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Re: Pat Riley 

Post#2 » by Heat_team02 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:09 pm

Shocking First-Round Pick Makes Miami Heat Fans Lose Their Minds, Question Pat Riley

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/miami-picks-tyler-herro-from-kentucky-fans-are-disppointed-11200462
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
BFRESH44
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 10,820

Post#3 » by BFRESH44 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:19 pm

I think the criticism is a little over the top. This is just a spoiled fan base, now. Definitely made some mistakes, every team does. The organization as a whole started to buy their own hype a bit with player development. Got caught in a blender with that 2016 salary cap explosion like the rest of the league did at the time. Hassan, Tyler Johnson, JJ, Dion contracts have all turned out to be pretty bad use of resources and flexibility. Hassan I can see taking the swing at, but as soon as we signed him, the league shifted gears and became a guard and pick N roll league. But the rest of those were just poor decisions then, and now with hindsight(although I was an advocate of matching the TJ contract).

I think the lesson was learned, though. Sometimes nothing is better than something, and don't get cornered in negotiations with role players.

They organization knows we need a tier 1 star. But those players are hard to get. We'll get another one of those, though. One day. Until then, we gotta stay the course, and continue to hit these singles and doubles until we're ready and in position for the home run.
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,305

Post#4 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:30 pm

BFRESH44 wrote:I think the criticism is a little over the top. This is just a spoiled fan base, now. Definitely made some mistakes, every team does. The organization as a whole started to buy their own hype a bit with player development. Got caught in a blender with that 2016 salary cap explosion like the rest of the league did at the time. Hassan, Tyler Johnson, JJ, Dion contracts have all turned out to be pretty bad use of resources and flexibility. Hassan I can see taking the swing at, but as soon as we signed him, the league shifted gears and became and guard and pick N roll league. But the rest of those were just poor decisions then, and now with hindsight(although I was an advocate of matching the TJ contract).

I think the lesson was learned, though. Sometimes nothing is better than something, and don't get cornered in negotiations with role players.

They organization knows we need a tier 1 star. But those players are hard to get. We'll get another one of those, though. One day. Until then, we gotta stay the course, and continue to hit these singles and doubles until we're ready and in position for the home run.

It's outdated thinking.

It worked for Alonzo Mourning and Shaquille O'Neal? Okay heres why.

Shaq saw rookie Wade play, and recognized his talent and wanted to team up with him.

Alonzo Mourning trade was back in the 90s, back when players weren't trying to dictate where they went. Back when Men were still Men and didn't bitch.

The modern NBA.... even IF we had better assets than the Lakers, Anthony Davis didn't want to play for Miami. Period. No matter how many singles and doubles you hit, the modern NBA players bitch and complain about not re-signing for your team, and that they'll bolt as soon as FA comes... so all your assets are worthless.
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
BFRESH44
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 10,820

Post#5 » by BFRESH44 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:42 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
BFRESH44 wrote:I think the criticism is a little over the top. This is just a spoiled fan base, now. Definitely made some mistakes, every team does. The organization as a whole started to buy their own hype a bit with player development. Got caught in a blender with that 2016 salary cap explosion like the rest of the league did at the time. Hassan, Tyler Johnson, JJ, Dion contracts have all turned out to be pretty bad use of resources and flexibility. Hassan I can see taking the swing at, but as soon as we signed him, the league shifted gears and became and guard and pick N roll league. But the rest of those were just poor decisions then, and now with hindsight(although I was an advocate of matching the TJ contract).

It's outdated thinking.

Shaq saw rookie Wade play, and recognized his talent and wanted to team up with him.

Alonzo Mourning trade was back in the 90s, back when players weren't trying to dictate where they went. Back when Men were still Men and didn't bitch.

The modern NBA.... even IF we had better assets than the Lakers, Anthony Davis didn't want to play for Miami. Period. No matter how many singles and doubles you hit, the modern NBA players bitch and complain about not re-signing for your team, and that they'll bolt as soon as FA comes... so all your assets are worthless.

Yeah, it's harder to get that player more than ever. They either take the supermax, or are traded to the team of their choice, and use their impending free agency as leverage.

But guys still want to come here. We were on Kyrie's preferred list of teams to be traded to, and Jimmy Butler wanted in. So real good players still want to come here. We just missed the boat on having the flexibility or tradeable assets to get them. And THAT you can blame Riley for.
NBADraft2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,123

Post#6 » by NBADraft2003 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:00 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:

It's outdated thinking.

:lol:

This is far from being the truth.
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager

Post#7 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:09 pm

NBADraft2003 wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:

It's outdated thinking.

By comparison to todays beta generation though
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
NBADraft2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,123

Post#8 » by NBADraft2003 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:22 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
NBADraft2003 wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
It's outdated thinking.

By comparison to todays beta generation though

They were just as bad, it’s just that social media wasn’t around but newspapers were and still caught a lot of that type of stuff.
Maroko
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,432

Post#9 » by Maroko » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:26 pm

NBADraft2003 wrote:
They were just as bad, it’s just that social media wasn’t around but newspapers were and still caught a lot of that type of stuff.

Spoiler:
the moment when you get banned, i will always remembered it even if Iggy and HWR were And1 the mod who did it

delanka
Veteran
And1: 16,314

Post#10 » by delanka » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:37 pm

Is this the Pat Riley appreciation thread ?
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,768

Post#11 » by Johnny Fontane » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:10 pm

I think he'll try for one more run in free agency next year & retire shortly after. Either way, nothing but gratitude/respect for the man for bringing Miami/South Florida it's first NBA championship, assembling a team greater than anyone can dream, then winning 2 more. It's definitely time to sail off into the sunset though.
Maroko
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Maroko » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:27 pm

Since it was a 2nd pick, people just don't understand that DonFather traded Bol Bol for another 2nd round pick + cash...

1) People would have been patient with Bol Bol and see how it would have worked with him and no one would have never complained about Riley drafting that guy even if he failed, it was just a 2nd round pick...It's not like he picked him at the 13th spot

2) If you are going to trade that guy then try to get something more interesting not just another 2nd pick + cash

3) If i am not mistaken, the salary would have been guaranted right ? I think it's more a move about salary cap than anything and yes we are about 1 million now lol this is very sad actually
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#13 » by HeatIn5 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:46 pm

Maroko wrote:Since it was a 2nd pick, people just don't understand that DonFather traded Bol Bol for another 2nd round pock + cash...

1) People would have been patient with Bol Bol and see how it would have worked with him and no one would have never complained about Riley drafting that guy even if he failed, it was just a 2nd round pick...It's not like he picked him at the 13th spot

2) If you are going to trade that guy then try to get something more interesting not just another 2nd pick + cash

3) If i am not mistaken, the salary would have been guaranted right ? I think it's more a move about salary cap than anything and yes we are about 1 million now lol this is very sad actually

i am almost positive 2nd round picks are not guaranteed

Read on Twitter
Maroko
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Maroko » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:52 pm

JustiseForMiami wrote:
Maroko wrote:
Spoiler:
Since it was a 2nd pick, people just don't understand that DonFather traded Bol Bol for another 2nd round pock + cash...

i am almost positive 2nd round picks are not guaranteed

Hmm you right but it makes it even worse then lol
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,773

Post#15 » by contract » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:17 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:The modern NBA.... even IF we had better assets than the Lakers, Anthony Davis didn't want to play for Miami. Period. No matter how many singles and doubles you hit, the modern NBA players bitch and complain about not re-signing for your team, and that they'll bolt as soon as FA comes... so all your assets are worthless.

You still make the trade. Toronto did and now Barney has a ring.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,773

Post#16 » by contract » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:21 pm

Pharenheit wrote:I think he'll try for one more run in free agency next year & retire shortly after. Either way, nothing but gratitude/respect for the man for bringing Miami/South Florida it's first NBA championship, assembling a team greater than anyone can dream, then winning 2 more. It's definitely time to sail off into the sunset though.

I don't think he's leaving until his health takes a hard turn for the worse. He has too much power and too little accountability. Why would he ever leave a cushy gig like this?
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,030

Post#17 » by Flash4thewin » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:10 pm

contract wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:The modern NBA.... even IF we had better assets than the Lakers, Anthony Davis didn't want to play for Miami. Period. No matter how many singles and doubles you hit, the modern NBA players bitch and complain about not re-signing for your team, and that they'll bolt as soon as FA comes... so all your assets are worthless.

Exactly you make the trade. The only reason you dont make it is if you cant sell a free agent on this organization.

Granted if you show up with McWuberts and Danny Granger as reasons to stay, why even bother.
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager

Post#18 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:00 pm

Flash4thewin wrote:
contract wrote:

Exactly you make the trade. The only reason you dont make it is if you cant sell a free agent on this organization.

Granted if you show up with McWuberts and Danny Granger as reasons to stay, why even bother.

Honestly, Riley shouldn't even think about 2014 anymore. Lebron was never going to stay. He was planning to leave way before the Finals even started. Wade was done, injured knees. And Cleveland had won the #1 overall pick. And they had Kyrie Irving. And Kevin Love was wanting out of Minny. Easy superteam right there, and Lebron gets to pretend he cares about CLE.

There is nothing Pat Riley could have done to keep Lebron. Literally nothing.

Lebron wanted to fix his reputation and Cleveland had the assets for another superteam.

2014 wasn't on Riley IMO.
radikalBaller
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,324

Post#19 » by radikalBaller » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:20 pm

Who is the best player on this team ?? Winslow, BAm, 34 years old Dragic, Tiler Johnson ? lol Pat and this front office have been screwing around for to long since Lebron left, whoever is the best player on this team would not even be the 2nd best player on any team in this league, not even the Hawks, not even the freaking knicks...This front office need to wake the foak up going for those safe role players picks year after year and signing journeymen and gleaguers to max contracts WTF, top 3 payroll and nothing to show for it, not even a Bol Bol for the fans because your capsace is so screwed that you need to save 1 million lol
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,030

Post#20 » by Flash4thewin » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:08 am

radikalBaller wrote:Who is the best player on this team ?? Winslow, BAm, 34 years old Dragic, Tiler Johnson ? lol Pat and this front office have been screwing around for to long since Lebron left, whoever is the best player on this team would not even be the 2nd best player on any team in this league, not even the Hawks, not even the freaking knicks...This front office need to wake the foak up going for those safe role players picks year after year and signing journeymen and gleaguers to max contracts WTF, top 3 payroll and nothing to show for it, not even a Bol Bol for the fans because your capsace is so screwed that you need to save 1 million lol

We drafted Hero because he fits with out team, but we would trade everyone on our team for a star so why draft for fit and not go with the best player with the highest upside?

Return to Miami Heat