Bol Bol

Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Bol Bol 

Post#1 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:12 pm

19 years of age and 7'2" with a 7'8" wingspan and probably an attitude over being disrespected on draft night. Rumors say the Knicks wanted to draft him, so perhaps (just maybe, not certainty) they were the ones that told the NBA to invite him to the Green Room.

Rumors say his medical situation isn't good. Stress fractures in the foot of taller players can be serious problems, but he said he's 100% now and has been working out and started hitting the court last month. Watch for how he favors (or doesn't favor) his left foot.

Others say he isn't passionate about basketball but before the draft, he said he should be a top-3 pick - sounds like he believes in himself!

Think about this, at his height he can dribble fairly well, hit a three-point shot and block shots (and yes, he can jump - they say he doesn't have a great vertical leap but at his height, just 12" off the ground is more than enough). He's rather versatile and seems like a great fit next to Jokic (down the road). He was considered top-5 last pre-season (sounds like Michael Porter).

In 9 college games, he averaged 21 ppg 9.6 reb 2.7 blocks with 13-25 from college 3pt line. He likes corner 3s and it seems unlikely there will be many that could affect his shot from there, although he does start his shot a little low his release is high enough (just above his head). He also seems at least average (and in college better than average) on the defensive end.

Here's an interesting factoid: ESPN compared him to other players in this draft and gave him the fourth-highest chance of being an all-star.

Zion Williamson - 72%
Jaxson Hayes ---- 28%
Brandon Clarke -- 27%
Bol Bol ------------ 11%

Definitely a gamble but one worth taking.
cjx
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,454

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#2 » by cjx » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:49 pm

Nuggets vs. Raptors in the 2019 NBA Finals, book it! MPJ and Bol Bol are going to wreak havoc. You know what it is.
Take a couple of minutes and check out this comic book, my friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/574101710/the-assemblage-issue-1a-courage-and-no-more-crises
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#3 » by U hova » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:36 pm

I think it's impossible for him to stay on-court with Jokic... I see it less as a MPJ situation and more like an extreme case of the Embiids.

Hoping for the best, if not - it was a minor risk and we should keep taking those.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:22 pm

cjx wrote:Nuggets vs. Raptors in the 2019 NBA Finals, book it! MPJ and Bol Bol are going to wreak havoc. You know what it is.

:talkhand: :meditate: I like it, but ....
cjx
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by cjx » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:37 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
cjx wrote:Nuggets vs. Raptors in the 2019 NBA Finals, book it! MPJ and Bol Bol are going to wreak havoc. You know what it is.

The sooner you embrace this reality, the sooner it will come to fruition. Believe with everything you have, my friend. Denver is going to the 2020 NBA Finals!
Take a couple of minutes and check out this comic book, my friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/574101710/the-assemblage-issue-1a-courage-and-no-more-crises
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,760

Post#6 » by TunaFish » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:48 am

Stiffs has some video on him in the comments section and he certainly is an interesting prospect. Too light for his size but he looks like a player that can certainly shoot. It's very likely that he's been taught a wing's game. For a man his size, he has decent handles.

It is also interesting to see how he has been taught to play in the paint. He seems to rely on a short fade away jump shot when normally you would see a more aggressive move to the basket or a hook shot. He's impossible to block with that shot and he shoots it effectively. From my view, he is a stretch four offensively.

Injuries aside, this is a very good 2nd round pick.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:45 am

cjx wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

The sooner you embrace this reality, the sooner it will come to fruition. Believe with everything you have, my friend. Denver is going to the 2020 NBA Finals!

Denver going to the finals - I believe that is a possibility.
I think both Porter & Bol "wreak havoc" is unlikely - not impossible, but unlikely. I'd love it if they did, but ... nope, if Las Vegas has odds on that one, I'd never make that bet.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 331

Post#8 » by Mac1958 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:13 pm

Just watched some highlights at

;t=99s

This kid is not his dad. He has real agility (at least for his height) and real, legitimate basketball skills.

Obviously his body is the problem, between his foot, potential injuries and the fact that his hips are about six feet off the ground.

But he's definitely a basketball player, not just a really tall guy.
cjx
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by cjx » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:59 am

Bol Bol and MPJ will be 2 baby KDs coming off the bench. Once Bol Bol improves his diet, gains some weight and strengthens his legs, the sky will be the limit (he can be a Thurl Bailey and MPJ can be a Rashard Lewis). Looking forward to seeing the Nuggets in the 2020 Finals!
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#10 » by TunaFish » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:21 am

Stress fractures of the foot ended the career of Yao Ming. It's difficult injury for any player but seems more common with bigs. That's the only explanation for Bol Bol dropping to the second round. Fear.

However, not every individual's future can be accurately predicted as far as any physical injury, probabilities notwithstanding. Manute Bol, his father played a decade and was similarly built. Manute could not shoot like this son though.
Canned in Denver.
cjx
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by cjx » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:51 pm

Don't overwork Bol Bol, use him as a super 6th or 7th man off the bench who no one can match up with!
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#12 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:57 pm

I won't go TOO GAGA over him...yet. Regardless of this year, have to remember he will always be playing behind Jokic, think that's his best role. I could see limited minutes beside Joker but as cjx offers up, he looks like the anchor of a strong bench unit. Wouldn't surprise me if he makes the roster much as MPJ did this year, Welsh will continue to develop in the G-League on the 2-way moving him back up around the trade deadline if Plumlee gets moved.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#13 » by Coeur » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:03 pm

skywalker33 wrote:I won't go TOO GAGA over him...yet. Regardless of this year, have to remember he will always be playing behind Jokic, think that's his best role. I could see limited minutes beside Joker but as cjx offers up, he looks like the anchor of a strong bench unit. Wouldn't surprise me if he makes the roster much as MPJ did this year, Welsh will continue to develop in the G-League on the 2-way moving him back up around the trade deadline if Plumlee gets moved.

WOuldnt it be great to have welsh and Bolbol steady enough to be able to afford trading plumlee away. Right now plumlee is such a need. But it would be nice to not pay that much for that role (possibly get him back for much less if he is held on to?)
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:13 pm

Coeur wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:I won't go TOO GAGA over him...yet. Regardless of this year, have to remember he will always be playing behind Jokic, think that's his best role. I could see limited minutes beside Joker but as cjx offers up, he looks like the anchor of a strong bench unit. Wouldn't surprise me if he makes the roster much as MPJ did this year, Welsh will continue to develop in the G-League on the 2-way moving him back up around the trade deadline if Plumlee gets moved.

WOuldnt it be great to have welsh and Bolbol steady enough to be able to afford trading plumlee away. Right now plumlee is such a need. But it would be nice to not pay that much for that role (possibly get him back for much less if he is held on to?)

It's not going to happen this year but Plumlee's contract ends with this season.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#15 » by TunaFish » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:39 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
Coeur wrote:

It's not going to happen this year but Plumlee's contract ends with this season.

Big veteran center (Plumlee) with an expiring contract (who has started in the NBA) available. Sure, why not? Wonder what he's worth? For the Nuggets you trade Plumlee if they can find another backup center because I'm betting that Bol Bol will be a stretch 4 and would be overpowered by an NBA center.
Canned in Denver.
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by Coeur » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:49 pm

TunaFish wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
Coeur wrote:WOuldnt it be great to have welsh and Bolbol steady enough to be able to afford trading plumlee away. Right now plumlee is such a need. But it would be nice to not pay that much for that role (possibly get him back for much less if he is held on to?)

Big veteran center (Plumlee) with an expiring contract (who has started in the NBA). Wonder what that's worth? For the Nuggets you trade Plumlee if they can find another backup center because I'm betting that Bol Bol will be a stretch 4 and would be overpowered by an NBA center.

I think he’s great fit with Jokic. My hope is that you could get him a 3-4 year deal down around 6 or 7?

If trading him? I wonder about Willie Cauley-Stein. Maybe you could get him in a pretty great deal?

I would even love to take on Demarcus Cousins if the number was right. 12-14 per?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:30 am

Coeur wrote:
TunaFish wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:It's not going to happen this year but Plumlee's contract ends with this season.

Big veteran center (Plumlee) with an expiring contract (who has started in the NBA). Wonder what that's worth? For the Nuggets you trade Plumlee if they can find another backup center because I'm betting that Bol Bol will be a stretch 4 and would be overpowered by an NBA center.

I think he’s great fit with Jokic. My hope is that you could get him a 3-4 year deal down around 6 or 7?

If trading him? I wonder about Willie Cauley-Stein. Maybe you could get him in a pretty great deal?

I would even love to take on Demarcus Cousins if the number was right. 12-14 per?

Cauley-Stein is probably going to want at least double his salary last year of $4.7m and I suspect a lot more. He's not a stretch player - only took 2 3pt shots last year. I like a lot of his game but am not convinced he fits with Jokic and the Nuggets.

Cousins probably can't get $12m. Last year he signed for $5m+ but he didn't really look 100% at any point. Not sure how high he goes and if we keep Millsap at his $30.5m, we won't have any shot at signing Cousins. I did like the new attitude, but he clearly understood he was not the alpha-dog on the Warriors. I'm betting he'd understand that in Denver too. 12 months ago, I'd have hated signing Cousins; don't object so much now. But I see him as a backup center that is probably going to get more than we can match - just not sure what that number will be. The best we could offer is a MLE (probably).
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by Coeur » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:06 am

Millsap for Wiggins

Cousins 4 x 15. Carmelo for min.

Plumlee, monte Norris 2 1sts for Bogdan and Bjelica

Sign Beasley to extension. And juancho

Carmelo and cousins bring KD

Durant for Gary Harris and thrill Barton

Murray/Bogdan/Beasley
Torrey Craig
Wiggins/mpj/juancho
*KD/Carmelo/Vanderbilt/Bolbol
Jokic/Cousins/welsh

Murray/
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:16 am

Coeur wrote:Millsap for Wiggins
Cousins 4 x 15. Carmelo for min.
Plumlee, monte Norris 2 1sts for Bogdan and Bjelica
Sign Beasley to extension. And juancho
Carmelo and cousins bring KD
Durant for Gary Harris and thrill Barton

Murray/Bogdan/Beasley
Torrey Craig
Wiggins/mpj/juancho
*KD/Carmelo/Vanderbilt/Bolbol
Jokic/Cousins/welsh

Sounds like a plan any of the Nuggets' opponents would love - and that is not sarcasm.
Millsap for Wiggins seems ridiculous.
Cousins & Melo seem unlikely and not necessarily good fits.
It seems likely that Durrant will require more than Harris & Barton.

I do like the Bogdan-Bjelica suggestion though, as well as the Beasley-Hernangomez plan.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:18 am

Does anyone else believe it possible that Bol & Porter live up to their potential?

Jokic - Bol - Porter - Harris - Murray
and
Vanderbilt - Hernangomez - Craig - Beasley - Morris (for a small-ball 2nd string).

Return to Denver Nuggets