Welcome Matisse Thybulle!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,410

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#81 » by FlyingArrow » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:30 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Right, they tanked and got Duncan. We tanked and got a few players. We’re currently in the middle of the Duncan run.... except without the championships. So we need to keep grabbing young potential to hopefully hit on one or two every so often.

Not the same. San Antonio already had stars before they tanked for Duncan. They held stars out with fake injuries to get more stars.

The point is that we have the star power now to win a championship. We need to complete the team with complementary pieces and get the job done. If you don't have the star power in place already, a Tobias max contract will make it so you will probably never get that star power. If you do have it (and we do), it helps put you over the top to hopefully win a championship.
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 443

Post#82 » by PhillyFan11 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:36 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Shake Milton is our top 5 player. And Toronto > Philly.

You need to pass me whatever you’re smoking buddy. This blissful delusion you have seems fun

Oh, I thought we were playing dumb when you asked who is our star player.

Nope, just dumb that you think Joel Embiid is a top 5 player
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,661

Post#83 » by Negrodamus » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:48 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:
You need to pass me whatever you’re smoking buddy. This blissful delusion you have seems fun

I never said we have a top 5 player. I said we have our Kawhi.

But since we're for some reason talking about top 5 players, Embiid is a top 5 going forward with Durant tearing his achilles.
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,257

Post#84 » by bball4life » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:51 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:

In the Toronto series, the Sixers were plus 109 with Embiid in the lineup and -200 with him out. Top 5 or not, that's good enough for me. Oh, he's still getting better too.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,681

Post#85 » by phillynative » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:04 pm

Womp womp womp
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#86 » by Negrodamus » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:13 pm

bball4life wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

In the Toronto series, the Sixers were plus 109 with Embiid in the lineup and -200 with him out. Top 5 or not, that's good enough for me. Oh, he's still getting better too.

And second team all nba with.... you guessed it, Kawhi Leonard
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,847

Post#87 » by kuclas » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:23 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Right, they tanked and got Duncan. We tanked and got a few players. We’re currently in the middle of the Duncan run.... except without the championships. So we need to keep grabbing young potential to hopefully hit on one or two every so often.

Not the same. San Antonio already had stars before they tanked for Duncan. They held stars out with fake injuries to get more stars.

It’s a shame. Cause Vancouver likely stays in Vancouver with Tim Duncan had the nba had the stupid no first overall pick the first 3 seasons.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#88 » by PLO » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:41 pm

I mentioned this in the other thread. I watched quite a number of UW's games this season and to my eye Thybulle isn't actually all that physically strong. I think he'll need to add some muscle to stop players just barrelling through him in the NBA.

I mean, I can recall times where noted ~ 200 lb heavyweight Louis King just went through him on his way to the cup vs the Huskies. Thybulle has active hands and a fantastic wingspan but players are just going to go right at him at the next level.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#89 » by LloydFree » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:01 am

kuclas wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

It’s a shame. Cause Vancouver likely stays in Vancouver with Tim Duncan had the nba had the stupid no first overall pick the first 3 seasons.

I forgot about that rule. I think that rule helped us get Iverson over Toronto in '96.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#90 » by Black Mage » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:24 am

Negrodamus wrote:
sixers78 wrote:Why is this pick drawing so much criticism? It’s a late first rd pick. I mean I do hate trading with Boston. But I just don’t like Boston. I get the trade up for Fultz criticism. I even get the Zhaire over MJP criticism. But like are fans really upset over late firsts and how 2nd rd crap shoot picks were handled? I’m intrigued by his defense and off of stats judging free throws and 3pt % he should be able to become 3 and D I believe. Nets guards torched us badly. I don’t mind adding someone whose pedigree is defense. Work on the rest. What are you expecting drafting in the 20’s?

You get a cheap player for multiple years with the possibility of becoming a star. Matisse Thybulle's ceiling is better shooting Andre Roberson. That's not a star. That's someone you can pick up in free agency.

I'd kill for a better shooting Andre Roberson. That dude is a major defensive menace.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#91 » by Negrodamus » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:34 am

Black Mage wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
sixers78 wrote:Why is this pick drawing so much criticism? It’s a late first rd pick. I mean I do hate trading with Boston. But I just don’t like Boston. I get the trade up for Fultz criticism. I even get the Zhaire over MJP criticism. But like are fans really upset over late firsts and how 2nd rd crap shoot picks were handled? I’m intrigued by his defense and off of stats judging free throws and 3pt % he should be able to become 3 and D I believe. Nets guards torched us badly. I don’t mind adding someone whose pedigree is defense. Work on the rest. What are you expecting drafting in the 20’s?

You get a cheap player for multiple years with the possibility of becoming a star. Matisse Thybulle's ceiling is better shooting Andre Roberson. That's not a star. That's someone you can pick up in free agency.

I'd kill for a better shooting Andre Roberson. That dude is a major defensive menace.

Hope he hits that ceiling!
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#92 » by Arsenal » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:42 am

Black Mage wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Yeah a Roberson who can hit an open 3 and doesn't brick his free throws is a significant positive difference maker. Hope that is what we get with Thybulle.
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#93 » by James40 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:18 am

We should be happy if this kid actually makes it through the season healthy. For a Sixers rookie, that’s good enough.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#94 » by PhilasFinest » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:48 am

Arsenal wrote:
Black Mage wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Yeah a Roberson who can hit an open 3 and doesn't brick his free throws is a significant positive difference maker. Hope that is what we get with Thybulle.

Roberson was an elite rebounder coming into the league and kind of a tweener....he was literally a double double machine.Thybulle is more of a ball hawking wing compared to Roberson, and his shot is much better coming into the NBA.

Thybulle is tough to compare because his defensive #'s were so elite (steals and blocks) and his offensive game is kind of an unknown.

Id say his ceiling is probably somewhere in the realm of a Spurs Danny Green or a ball hawking Thabo Sefolosha.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#95 » by ivysixer2000 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:25 am

James40 wrote:We should be happy if this kid actually makes it through the season healthy. For a Sixers rookie, that’s good enough.

Now the jinx is on.

Curse you.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,334

Post#96 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:26 am

Stanford wrote:
Read on Twitter

We were fools. It was Matisse the whole time.

Thybulle is a hinkie type player
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#97 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:27 am

PhilasFinest wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Black Mage wrote:

Roberson was an elite rebounder coming into the league and kind of a tweener....he was literally a double double machine.Thybulle is more of a ball hawking wing compared to Roberson, and his shot is much better coming into the NBA.

Thybulle is tough to compare because his defensive #'s were so elite (steals and blocks) and his offensive game is kind of an unknown.

Id say his ceiling is probably somewhere in the realm of a Spurs Danny Green or a ball hawking Thabo Sefolosha.

His offense reminds me a lot of Danny Green. He’s like a rich man’s version of Danny Green
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#98 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:42 am

He gambles a lot on defense and at one point it looks like that he just cares on getting those steals and blocks by gambling heavily on defense. Getting steals and blocks is easier on college because of the zone defense.

Defensively, he looks more like Roco that his man may drop 30-40 but he’ll be a plus defender by those deflection numbers.

Scouting report also say that he doesnt go for the boards, but i dont think its a big issue when we have multiple guys who likes to go for the boards.
papajoe
Junior
And1: 360

Post#99 » by papajoe » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:25 am

Elton brands clueless, got no hope for this franchise
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 40,629

Post#100 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:32 pm

76ciology wrote:He gambles a lot on defense and at one point it looks like that he just cares on getting those steals and blocks by gambling heavily on defense. Getting steals and blocks is easier on college because of the zone defense.

Defensively, he looks more like Roco that his man may drop 30-40 but he’ll be a plus defender by those deflection numbers.

Scouting report also say that he doesnt go for the boards, but i dont think its a big issue when we have multiple guys who likes to go for the boards.

He'll be an elite team defender, especially with rim protection of Embiid and the ball pressure from Simmons / Butler. I'd imagine their vision is hounding teams with Smith on ball, Thybulle on SG, with Ben and Jimmy taking turns on the weakest offensive player on the other team so they can roam on defense.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers