ImageImage

Re-Signed: The PJ Washington Jr. Thread (3yrs/$48m)

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,144

Re: Welcome to Charlotte: PJ Washington 

Post#81 » by Braggins » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:40 pm

LofJ wrote:PJ can play the 3, 4, or 5 depending on who he's sharing the floor with. Today's NBA is all about guys like him with positional versatility.

Heck, all 3 of the guys we drafted have positional versatility. I'm starting to think that Mitch understands the modern game more than we give him credit for.

Read on Twitter
_tijo_
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 335

Post#82 » by _tijo_ » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:45 pm

Two guys at 6-4, 6-5, and three guys at 6-7, 6-8? But Kemba's only 6-0...

Mitch knows that we can't pay Kemba.
Who I woulda took:
2022: Duren | 2021: Bouknight, Jones | 2020: Ball | 2019: PJ | 2018: Porter Jr | 2017: Monk | 2016: Damian Jones | 2015: Winslow | 2014: Vonleh, Napier | 2013: McLemore | 2012: MKG | 2011: Knight, Kawhi
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#83 » by KingCat » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:14 pm

I see his basement as DJ White, his floor as Marv/Tolliver and his ceiling as A modern day David West. Not a very exciting prospect. The last time there was this little buzz or excitement around a prospect was the Henderson pick back in 09
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Braggins
RealGM

Post#84 » by Braggins » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:19 pm

KingCat wrote:I see his basement as DJ White, his floor as Marv/Tolliver and his ceiling as A modern day David West. Not a very exciting prospect. The last time there was this little buzz or excitement around a prospect was the Henderson pick back in 09

Belinelli in 2016
Frank in 2015
Cody in 2013
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,216

Post#85 » by amcoolio » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:22 pm

KingCat wrote:I see his basement as DJ White, his floor as Marv/Tolliver and his ceiling as A modern day David West. Not a very exciting prospect. The last time there was this little buzz or excitement around a prospect was the Henderson pick back in 09

DJ White was possibly the worst defender in the NBA, chunky, and didn't shoot 3's. Washington is athletic, long, and has a motor. Was a good and vocal defender this past season and also hit the 3 really well with a nice stroke. Very lazy comparison.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
KingCat
Sixth Man

Post#86 » by KingCat » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:36 pm

amcoolio wrote:

DJ White was possibly the worst defender in the NBA, chunky, and didn't shoot 3's. Washington is athletic, long, and has a motor. Was a good and vocal defender this past season and also hit the 3 really well with a nice stroke. Very lazy comparison.

You realize basement means worse possible outcome right? There is a possibility he can’t expand his range to three, there is a possibility he can’t defend against NBA athletes so yes there is a small possibility he ends up as a DJ White. Just like there is a small possibility he ends up as a David West.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#87 » by TheKingofSting » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:00 pm

I give the pick an A- and I'm a tough judge. I love the Luol Deng comparison who was a pretty damn good player until the view of him around the league changed when the Lakers gave him that albatross contract and ironically was given to him by Mitch Kupchak. I'd take the Miami Deng type of production with the #12 pick all day. He sure killed us all of the time back then!
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
dmutombo321
Sixth Man
And1: 365

Post#88 » by dmutombo321 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:02 pm

TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#89 » by TheKingofSting » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:16 pm

President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#90 » by DY_nasty » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:36 am

i like this pick a lot now.

im very ok with this.
KingCat
Sixth Man

Post#91 » by KingCat » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:49 am

I just had an epiphany. I would be a lot happier with this pick if we did not pick Miles last year. I think PJ is a better prospect than Miles, and I like his wingpsan and his skill set alot more than Miles. I just think Miles is just too stubby and doesn't have the horizontal speed or skill to make up for it to be a success wing in the modern NBA.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,043

Post#92 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:04 am

KingCat wrote:I just had an epiphany. I would be a lot happier with this pick if we did not pick Miles last year. I think PJ is a better prospect than Miles, and I like his wingpsan and his skill set alot more than Miles. I just think Miles is just too stubby and doesn't have the horizontal speed or skill to make up for it to be a success wing in the modern NBA.

One can play the 3. The other the 4.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#93 » by BigSlam » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:21 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
KingCat wrote:I just had an epiphany. I would be a lot happier with this pick if we did not pick Miles last year. I think PJ is a better prospect than Miles, and I like his wingpsan and his skill set alot more than Miles. I just think Miles is just too stubby and doesn't have the horizontal speed or skill to make up for it to be a success wing in the modern NBA.

One can play the 3. The other the 4.

Yup.

That's like saying I would have liked the Bridges pick had we not made the Monk pick the year prior.
B B M F 'ers
Braggins
RealGM

Post#94 » by Braggins » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:21 am

Miles was my 2nd choice for our pick last year and PJ was my 2nd choice of who was available this year. I'm not sure who I think is the better prospect if you compare them head to head, but I'm pleased with both and don't think there will be any issue with them playing together.

I'm guessing in a year or two we'll be seeing lots of lineups with Miles at PF and PJ at center. They actually fit together very nicely in that context imo.

The front offices hands were tied with the mess left over from the Cho/Clifford era that it was always going to take a couple years to restructure the team around Borrego's play style without wasting a bunch of future assets. The roster will probably still be a bit mismatched for this next season.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,508

Post#95 » by LofJ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:37 am

Braggins wrote:

Miles was my 2nd choice for our pick last year and PJ was my 2nd choice of who was available this year. I'm not sure who I think is the better prospect if you compare them head to head, but I'm pleased with both and don't think there will be any issue with them playing together.

I'm guessing in a year or two we'll be seeing lots of lineups with Miles at PF and PJ at center. They actually fit together very nicely in that context imo.

The front offices hands were tied with the mess left over from the Cho/Clifford era that it was always going to take a couple years to restructure the team around Borrego's play style without wasting a bunch of future assets. The roster will probably still be a bit mismatched for this next season.

It will take another two years for this to fully be Mitch and Borrego's team.
bravor
Starter
And1: 733

Post#96 » by bravor » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:56 am

Curious to see if he is nba ready and if his two way profile is a reality. Obviously Hornets FO decided to pick him players who don't s**on the defensive end, so it's hard for me to complain.
Since there is no Clarke, i still hope some undersized pf/c will be signed here (Harrell, Birch, ..).

hopefully this means that if there is no kemba, the team will tank good enough to lock some good potential stars (and at the very least all star) in the Atlanta way and keep developing the role players around him/them. And if Kemba stays, the only question is how much and who you can find for Hornets' expirings and for a good return
BobsBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 100

Post#97 » by BobsBuddy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:37 am

:o Welcome to Charlotte PJ..Hope you aren't like the last PJ we had. I think he's probably in jail somewhere by now.

WE NEED HELP BAD so show us what you got come Octobeer. :roll:
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#98 » by euphorbus » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:52 am

I'm just glad we landed a talented player who knows how to play basketball. I do not really care how fast he runs the 50 yard dash or how many basketballs he can spin at one time. Nor do I think it really matters to the future of the Hornets what positions he can play. It does matter that PJ is accomplished at nearly every facet of the game--shooting, rebounding, blocks. He averaged 1.8 assists in 29 minutes per game, which bodes well for the future.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,608

Post#99 » by fatlever » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:35 pm

Certainly we have the record for the most PJ's who have played for an organization. This makes three.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,508

Post#100 » by LofJ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:40 pm

His actual first name is Paul. It's a good combo with Washington, not sure why he goes by PJ.

Return to Charlotte Hornets