ImageImageImage

Welcome Tyler Herro

Moderators: BFRESH44, IggieCC, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

User avatar
Beenie
Senior
Posts: 704
And1: 971
Joined: Oct 24, 2016
 

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#41 » by Beenie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:21 pm

The J-Will resemblance is uncanny. If he behind-the-back elbow passes to Bam on the break I'll piss myself.
User avatar
Maroko
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,589
And1: 11,400
Joined: Dec 22, 2012
Location: Paris
     

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#42 » by Maroko » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:22 pm

Dr_Heat wrote:Welcome to the Heat buddy


Image

i guess with these ears, sky can only be the limit, right ? i mean he is ready to take off
Bhut Jolokia
Sophomore
Posts: 240
And1: 140
Joined: Jul 01, 2004
       

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#43 » by Bhut Jolokia » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:56 pm

I think Herro was a decent pick at 13 by the Heat. He shoots FTs at an elite level already, so this is a good sign that he can improve the rest of his shooting. I understand that he has shorter arms than most other players but that doesn’t mean he is trash. Its hard to compare players because everybody has their own strengths and weaknesses. I can see he is a very competitive player that has a desire to improve, and that is probably a big reason why the Heat felt comfortable drafting him in the late lottery. Because of these important reasons I’m optimistic he can develop into anything from a Landry Shamet to a Devin Booker type player.
ImOnFire
Ballboy
Posts: 29
And1: 10
Joined: Jul 24, 2017
       

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#44 » by ImOnFire » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:08 am

Wingspan is overrated IMO. Would he be ok with a 4" longer wingspan? 2" on each arm? seriously he sucks because of 2" shorter arms/fingers/shoulder width, etc?
User avatar
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 7,398
And1: 30,626
Joined: Sep 16, 2016

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#45 » by Wiltside » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:40 am

I’m calling him Swaggy T from now on.

Kid is confident. Let’s hope he can back up the talk. He’s a Heat now, I’ll be rooting for him.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
User avatar
JustiseForMiami
Veteran
Posts: 2,683
And1: 5,631
Joined: Jul 02, 2015
       

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#46 » by JustiseForMiami » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:56 am

Wiltside wrote:I’m calling him Swaggy T from now on.

Kid is confident. Let’s hope he can back up the talk. He’s a Heat now, I’ll be rooting for him.



Drippy T?
Read on Twitter

Wiltside wrote:Can confirm Tyler Herro is, indeed, a bucket.

Chalm Downs wrote:Me too cute
User avatar
Rapaz
Head Coach
Posts: 6,075
And1: 19,478
Joined: Jun 12, 2014

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#47 » by Rapaz » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:21 am

Tyler Turdbucket
HerrOKC
User avatar
JustiseForMiami
Veteran
Posts: 2,683
And1: 5,631
Joined: Jul 02, 2015
       

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#48 » by JustiseForMiami » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:43 am

Rapaz wrote:Tyler Turdbucket



Image




Read on Twitter

Wiltside wrote:Can confirm Tyler Herro is, indeed, a bucket.

Chalm Downs wrote:Me too cute
User avatar
Mars
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,152
And1: 8,134
Joined: Mar 08, 2005
Location: Lovetron

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#49 » by Mars » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:53 am

JUSTISE SHUTTLESWORTH™
User avatar
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
Posts: 13,098
And1: 22,529
Joined: Mar 03, 2011

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#50 » by RexBoyWonder » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:40 am

Iv'e got a strong feeling that Calipari told Riley that Herro is just as good as Devin Booker was in his year in Kentucky.

Both were dead eye shooters with good size that were limited to the role assigned to them.

Booker broke out in the NBA, partly because he got a ton of freedom to grow and chuck, And that's where Spo comes in and might kill us.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
User avatar
puppa bear
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,992
And1: 2,329
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
   

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#51 » by puppa bear » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:21 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:Iv'e got a strong feeling that Calipari told Riley that Herro is just as good as Devin Booker was in his year in Kentucky.

Both were dead eye shooters with good size that were limited to the role assigned to them.

Booker broke out in the NBA, partly because he got a ton of freedom to grow and chuck, And that's where Spo comes in and might kill us.

Agreed on both counts. I don’t think Riley makes this pick without something like that from Cal.

Perhaps we can clear the deck of the vets, and force Spo to play the juniors? If he hasn’t got Dion/Dragic/JJ/Whiteside then he has to play the kids & we get to see what they can actually do.
BFRESH44
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 5,690
And1: 6,071
Joined: Mar 25, 2007
Location: Coral Gables

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#52 » by BFRESH44 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:42 pm

Herro is more Jamal Murray with the way he creates space than Booker. Ironically, another Kentucky product.
Bhut Jolokia
Sophomore
Posts: 240
And1: 140
Joined: Jul 01, 2004
       

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#53 » by Bhut Jolokia » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:39 pm

Another general comparison for Herro is a Landry Shamet type player. Both can be great spot up shooters and can also operate out of the pick and roll. They both are able to make plays for others and have high basketball IQs. Neither are the greatest athletes and have to hustle on defense to be successful on that end. Shamet’s first year stats were in 23 min he had 9.1 pts, 1.7 reb, 1.5 ast, 43% FG, 7.1 FGA, 42% 3s, 5.0 3PA, 81% FT, 1.2 FTA

I think he gets compared to Devin Booker a lot because they both went to Kentucky, and he is Herro’s favorite NBA player who he tries to model his game after. Bookers first year stats were in 28 min he had 13.8 pts, 2.5 reb, 2.6 ast, 42% FG, 11.4 FGA, 34% 3s, 3.8 3PA, 84% FT, 3.4 FTA.

Jamal Murray had similar numbers his first year with 21.5 min, 9.9 pts, 2.6 reb, 2.1 ast, 40% FG, 8.9 FGA, 33% 3s, 4.2 3PA, 88 FT%, 1.5 FTA.

There are definitely going to be some players in the lottery that don’t live up to expectations but Herro would be worth the pick if he comes close to any of those numbers in his first 2 years in the league. It will be interesting how he does with with the Heat early on.
User avatar
Rock Hardy
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,741
And1: 1,609
Joined: Jul 24, 2013
Location: 305 worldwide
       

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#54 » by Rock Hardy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:14 am

I refuse to be downbeat. This FO has gone from being great with free agents, to kinda getting shamed there. Now it looks like they went from not giving a **** about draft day, to securing solid picks. This video has me kinda hyped. He's got the foundation. The only question is if he can escalate it all to the NBA level. I like the Klay Thompson comparison better than the Devin Booker one, though I haven't seen anything about his defense, which is something that makes Klay truly special IMO.

Image
User avatar
Rock Hardy
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,741
And1: 1,609
Joined: Jul 24, 2013
Location: 305 worldwide
       

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#55 » by Rock Hardy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:21 am

That video was linked in this article on HotHotHoops:
https://www.hothothoops.com/2019/6/23/18714295/real-reason-tyler-herro-was-steal-of-2019-nba-draft-for-miami-heat-ttansition-offense

Zion Williamson made a surprising comment about Miami Heat’s draft pick Tyler Herro last year.

“Tyler is like probably the most underrated player in our class. He’s a very smooth and skilled scorer and I feel that goes unnoticed sometimes.”

Anthony Koon wrote an insightful piece detailing how University of Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari uncovered an overlooked skill of Herro that may pay huge dividends for the Heat down the road.

“While initially serving mostly as an off-ball scoring option early on in the season, Herro has developed into a secondary ball-handler for the Wildcats and has seen his assist numbers steadily rise up throughout the year.

“The combination of consistent outside shooting and a secondary playmaking option have given the Wildcats a different dimension to their offense.”

Coach Erik Spoelstra was looking for a player with the ability to prevent teams from packing the paint against the Heat’s rim-runners [emphasis mine].

“...Herro helps keep defenses honest and stops them from sagging off the three-point line to protect the paint. In prior years, opposing defenses have loaded up the paint against Kentucky to stop drives to the rim. This year, Herro’s floor spacing allows Kentucky’s elite athletes to attack more easily without facing a double or triple team.”

Herro had more success with his transition game than scoring off screens or hand-offs that often wind up being closely contested shots.
Image
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,579
And1: 3,022
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#56 » by Fischella » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:34 am

Herro is really a combo-guard, he should benefit tremendously from playing with Goran even if it's just for a year, the guy is a tremendous worker in terms of work-ethic and attitude, he has natural tools and the Miami program in terms of building his body should do him great, he needs to get stronger but remain quick

He has the best self-creation package in the mid-range of this class, his pull-up jumper is stupid good, aesthetically he is different but he could end up being a CJ McCollum type of Guard

Tyler like CJ is underrated defensively, yes his lack of length becomes a problem at times, but he has quick feet, the right mindset and feel, attitude, physicality and is engaged, he is going to give it all on that end and is really good at playing passing lanes as well

I had him 4th on my board, I love Miami as a destination, would likely have him 3rd now post-draft, just behind Zion and Brandon Clarke

Needless to say that the young pieces you have around him in J-Rich, Justise, DJJ, Bam, and the vets, are all great and fit around him
User avatar
puppa bear
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,992
And1: 2,329
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
   

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#57 » by puppa bear » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:53 am

Rock Hardy wrote:That video was linked in this article on HotHotHoops:
https://www.hothothoops.com/2019/6/23/18714295/real-reason-tyler-herro-was-steal-of-2019-nba-draft-for-miami-heat-ttansition-offense

Zion Williamson made a surprising comment about Miami Heat’s draft pick Tyler Herro last year.

“Tyler is like probably the most underrated player in our class. He’s a very smooth and skilled scorer and I feel that goes unnoticed sometimes.”

Anthony Koon wrote an insightful piece detailing how University of Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari uncovered an overlooked skill of Herro that may pay huge dividends for the Heat down the road.

“While initially serving mostly as an off-ball scoring option early on in the season, Herro has developed into a secondary ball-handler for the Wildcats and has seen his assist numbers steadily rise up throughout the year.

“The combination of consistent outside shooting and a secondary playmaking option have given the Wildcats a different dimension to their offense.”

Coach Erik Spoelstra was looking for a player with the ability to prevent teams from packing the paint against the Heat’s rim-runners [emphasis mine].

“...Herro helps keep defenses honest and stops them from sagging off the three-point line to protect the paint. In prior years, opposing defenses have loaded up the paint against Kentucky to stop drives to the rim. This year, Herro’s floor spacing allows Kentucky’s elite athletes to attack more easily without facing a double or triple team.”

Herro had more success with his transition game than scoring off screens or hand-offs that often wind up being closely contested shots.

Low key, the most important part of that article is Zion saying good words about Tyler. Zion may want out at some point, and having Tyler as someone who he’s respected since HS is a huge positive. We know we got Bron because Wade spoke highly of the franchise, and if Zion respects Tyler’s opinion and he gets the word then teaming up because an option.
User avatar
Bishop45
RealGM
Posts: 27,023
And1: 89,842
Joined: Apr 22, 2015
 

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#58 » by Bishop45 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Wish him well, support him as one of our own, be weary of artificially red kool-aid
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,157
And1: 45,193
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Location: Lottery land
       

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#59 » by DayofMourning » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:27 pm

Rock Hardy wrote:I refuse to be downbeat. This FO has gone from being great with free agents, to kinda getting shamed there. Now it looks like they went from not giving a **** about draft day, to securing solid picks. This video has me kinda hyped. He's got the foundation. The only question is if he can escalate it all to the NBA level. I like the Klay Thompson comparison better than the Devin Booker one, though I haven't seen anything about his defense, which is something that makes Klay truly special IMO.



That's a good attitude to have.

He looks like the kind of kid who is going to be able to put up points regardless of the situation. That's something we were hoping to see from JRich, but it hasn't happened.

Rich's game benefits greatly from being able to play off of guys and not having to be a lead guard. Herro looks like he can really get a bucket any where and looks very comfortable handling the ball.
Image

R.I.P. magnumt....
User avatar
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
Posts: 13,098
And1: 22,529
Joined: Mar 03, 2011

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#60 » by RexBoyWonder » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:35 pm

BFRESH44 wrote:Herro is more Jamal Murray with the way he creates space than Booker. Ironically, another Kentucky product.


Murray took 13 shots per game his second year, age 20.

9 shots per game his rookie year, same age as Herro.

And that Denver team almost made the playoffs in the West, it's not like he played meaningless games.


I'm just praying Herro gets 9 minutes per game.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs

Return to Miami Heat