Post#41 » by Saberestar » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:15 pm

Read on Twitter
mikea7
Sophomore
And1: 109

Re: Welcome Cam Johnson 

Post#42 » by mikea7 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:36 pm

Sorry if already posted.

https://clutchpoints.com/the-warriors-are-salivating-for-cam-johnson-but-he-will-come-with-a-steep-price-to-pay/

I'm about as down on the franchise as they come, having watched this for 25 years. We need to keep clearing cap space and then, guys:

Wait and see. That's all there is to do anyway.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#43 » by Crives » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:28 pm

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Post#44 » by Saberestar » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:29 pm

Wow, I have heard on 98.7 FM an interview with Cam Johnson and he is impressive. Smart, well spoken and very likeable.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Post#45 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:34 pm

Saberestar wrote:Wow, I have heard on 98.7 FM an interview with Cam Johnson and he is impressive. Smart, well spoken and very likeable.

I was trying to listen but at work. Will have to check out if they have a tape up later. I heard he sounds impressive.
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#46 » by matt131 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:55 pm

From reddit:

He was expecting to go in mid to late teens with early 20s being the latest.

Worked out for Phoenix about a week after the combine. Said it felt different. Loves the area.

Three teams he thought he was most likely to go to were New Orleans at 17 (who apparently had Cam Johnson "VERY" high on their board according to Burns and Gambo), OKC at 21, and Philadelphia (assuming) at 24 before they traded to 20.

No issues with his hips, feels better than ever. Surgery was a corrective thing, something not to get back to an old level but to get to a higher level.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#47 » by darealjuice » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:58 pm

matt131 wrote:From reddit:

Worked out for Phoenix about a week after the combine. Said it felt different. Loves the area.

Three teams he thought he was most likely to go to were New Orleans at 17 (who apparently had Cam Johnson "VERY" high on their board according to Burns and Gambo), OKC at 21, and Philadelphia (assuming) at 24 before they traded to 20.

No issues with his hips, feels better than ever. Surgery was a corrective thing, something not to get back to an old level but to get to a higher level.

May not be as bad of a reach as we initially thought if he thought he was going to go as early as 17. Warriors supposedly being interested and trying to trade up for him was interesting to hear too. Still don't love the value, but the front office obviously isn't interested in guys that they have to teach how to play basketball.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#48 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:54 pm

Oh I absolutely think he goes late teens. Looking at the draft shooters went higher than expected. Hero went two picks later and was mocked much lower.

I don't like the pick because I wanted PJ Washington or Clarke but I don't think it was the reach some make it out to be.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#49 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:59 pm

darealjuice wrote:

May not be as bad of a reach as we initially thought if he thought he was going to go as early as 17. Warriors supposedly being interested and trying to trade up for him was interesting to hear too. Still don't love the value, but the front office obviously isn't interested in guys that they have to teach how to play basketball.

Yeah, I think Philly was moving up to try and get ahead of OKC too to draft him. And he makes sense next to Zion, Ball, Jrue, Ingram and Hayes. But they got NAW who is good for them too...solid guard rotation....and loads of picks for the future.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#50 » by darealjuice » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:13 am

bwgood77 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:

Yeah, I think Philly was moving up to try and get ahead of OKC too to draft him. And he makes sense next to Zion, Ball, Jrue, Ingram and Hayes. But they got NAW who is good for them too...solid guard rotation....and loads of picks for the future.

Yeah that's what it sounds like. I think some people are downplaying his skillset by calling him just a stand still shooter, and he's a bit more athletic than people give him credit for. Only time will tell if he was worth the pick, but I'm sure the Thunder would have loved to see him spacing the floor for Russ and PG.

I'm really curious to see how the Pelicans look this year. Ball/Holiday/Ingram/Zion/Hayes or Okafor sounds like a pretty stifling defensive team, but the paint will be very clogged on offense with that lineup shooting like 30% from 3. I liked that they came out of the draft with Zion, Hayes, and NAW though.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,163

Post#51 » by Frank Lee » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:17 am

:noway: Wtf
So we get the best pure shooter in the draft. Some kid who made over 44% from NBA threes (160 shots I think I heard) a GD deadeye sniper who actually knows how to play basketball....

And you guys are b****ing about not drafting some may be good rook? We could have easily done worse, even at 6.
I’m trusting our basketball boys on this one... You know, those two guys who actually played in the league.
What ? Me Worry ?
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#52 » by Mr Puddles » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:39 am

https://arizonasports.com/story/1983546/suns-cameron-johnson-outside-noise-gives-me-more-motivation/

But just as quickly as his name and the moment of it all went by, Johnson and the Suns brass was criticized for the selection.

“It gives me a little more motivation, keeps a little bit of a chip on my shoulder but couldn’t say it’s the first time I heard that. To me, I’m honored that they saw enough in me to take me at 11 and I’ll do everything in my power to make it the right move for them.”

"The Reach" will be a great nickname for him. I hope he does well if for no other reason than to proof the haters wrong.
Spoiler:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#53 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:21 am

Frank Lee wrote::noway: Wtf
So we get the best pure shooter in the draft. Some kid who made over 44% from NBA threes (160 shots I think I heard) a GD deadeye sniper who actually knows how to play basketball....

And you guys are b****ing about not drafting some may be good rook? We could have easily done worse, even at 6.
I’m trusting our basketball boys on this one... You know, those two guys who actually played in the league.

I didn't even realize Jeff Bower played in the league. Love the shooting.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#54 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:22 am

Mr Puddles wrote:https://arizonasports.com/story/1983546/suns-cameron-johnson-outside-noise-gives-me-more-motivation/

But just as quickly as his name and the moment of it all went by, Johnson and the Suns brass was criticized for the selection.

“It gives me a little more motivation, keeps a little bit of a chip on my shoulder but couldn’t say it’s the first time I heard that. To me, I’m honored that they saw enough in me to take me at 11 and I’ll do everything in my power to make it the right move for them.”

"The Reach" will be a great nickname for him. I hope he does well if for no other reason than to proof the haters wrong.

That is a good nickname....great to have a motivating one where it will make people look stupid if he proves them wrong.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#55 » by Kerrsed » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:51 am

Had no idea that Kendall Marshall was one of his coaches at NC.

Look, the kid is smart. Very well educated. Graduated college early with like a 4.4 GPA. He's a fighter. Took a very very unorthodox way of getting to college and getting into the NBA. He also fought through pain and injuries.

He's basketball smart as well. Knows his limits and doesnt try to venture to far out of his lane, so he makes less mistakes.

He is a 3 point assassin. I mean he can hit jumpshots all over, but he really drills those 3's. He does a little bit of everything. Only thing he seems to have issues with is drawing contact/fouls and getting to the FT line, but thats because you are far more likely to see him shooting jumpers than taking it to the rim.

As i pointed out like a month before the draft:
Spoiler:

This is a Culture Change pick that the FO is making. Our 2 first round picks are both older, more mature guys who are highly educated, good basketball IQ, and hit the 3 ball at a solid rate. Instead of swinging for the fences and hoping that the Young guy with potential becomes a star, the FO was more than willing to go for the 10+ year career roleplayers that every team needs. The guys that can help from day one and that contenders usually take at the end of the 1st round.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#56 » by matt131 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:26 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,032

Post#57 » by sunsbg » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:45 am

I hope there is a 6th man potential long-term here, as he doesn't look like a starter material to me.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#58 » by bigfoot » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:22 am

So at 6'9" thoughts on Johnson being our backup PF. He's as tall and weighs the same as Brandon Clarke. Some sites have him listed as a SG/SF while others as SF/PF. Like Booker, Cam had one of the best lane agility times in the combine. If he added a few more pounds can he backup Saric who is 6'10"? He's only 10 pounds lighter than Saric.

TJo / Jerome / Lecque
Booker
Bridges / Oubre
Saric / Johnson
Ayton / Baynes
Crives
General Manager

Post#59 » by Crives » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:25 am

darealjuice wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:

Yeah that's what it sounds like. I think some people are downplaying his skillset by calling him just a stand still shooter, and he's a bit more athletic than people give him credit for. Only time will tell if he was worth the pick, but I'm sure the Thunder would have loved to see him spacing the floor for Russ and PG.

I'm really curious to see how the Pelicans look this year. Ball/Holiday/Ingram/Zion/Hayes or Okafor sounds like a pretty stifling defensive team, but the paint will be very clogged on offense with that lineup shooting like 30% from 3. I liked that they came out of the draft with Zion, Hayes, and NAW though.

36 inch vertical and very smart player. He’s going to surprise a lot of people.
Crives
General Manager

Post#60 » by Crives » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:27 am

bigfoot wrote:So at 6'9" thoughts on Johnson being our backup PF. He's as tall and weighs the same as Brandon Clarke. Some sites have him listed as a SG/SF while others as SF/PF. Like Booker, Cam had one of the best lane agility times in the combine. If he added a few more pounds can he backup Saric who is 6'10"? He's only 10 pounds lighter than Saric.

TJo / Jerome / Lecque
Booker
Bridges / Oubre
Saric / Johnson
Ayton / Baynes

I think he’s trying to put on weight/muscle. In his interview I think he mentioned getting stronger as one of his top areas of focus

Return to Phoenix Suns