ImageImageImageImageImage

Fort Knox: A defense of Kevin Knox

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Re: Fort Knox: A defense of Kevin Knox 

Post#641 » by blanko » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:35 am

Guys like knox and frank is why i think thr nba should use the d leage team more. If knox and frank payed in the d leage their rookie years without pressure it would have done wonders for their development.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#642 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:37 am

blueNorange wrote:summer league means nothing.

trier and mitch shouldn’t attend this summer, they have nothing to prove. they can hang.

don’t have them risk injury.

knox needs it.

The only players that need summer league are guys trying to make teams. Guys with a secure spot don't need sl at all.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#643 » by MaseInYourFace » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:30 am

8516knicks wrote:just now much do people expect Knox to improve next season? I fear a Frank -like snail pace.

I expect him to improve much faster than Frank. Part of the issue is frank hasn’t really defined a role or a potential role for himself yet.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#644 » by MaseInYourFace » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:32 am

method wrote:The thing with Frank is Fiz should of giving him Muds minutes.Knowing Frank was signed for multiple years and Mud was a free agent.He should of been allowed to play thru his mistakes similar to Knox.2 years and I still don't know what we have.

It’s a nice thought and something a lot of fans hope for but he has to coach a whole team not just Frank.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#645 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:34 am

Knox really needs to work on being a more efficient scorer. he can do that with shooting reps and focusing on blending his game by getting to the line more. He does those two he'd be a vastly better player.

As for defense, he can focus on deflections and taking charges for now. The defensive schemes should hopefully get him to being serviceable.

I'm not worried about Knox developing at all.

MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#646 » by MaseInYourFace » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:38 am

One thing that’ll help Knox a lot is just getting stronger. The biggest knock I often see from peeps on here about him is how inefficient his scoring was. He’ll be able to finish at a much better clip and draw fouls once he’s stronger.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
cooch2584
Sixth Man
And1: 86

Post#647 » by cooch2584 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:25 pm

I have given up on frank but,to impress me knox needs to have a breakout year. average 18 pts and 9 rebounds and ill be impressed with good solid defense. i don't think frank has the IT factor to play in NY.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#648 » by br7knicks » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:33 pm

every time i see this thread getting bumped up, i hope it's because he's been traded for someone who plays defense. why can't the twolves take knox and trier for culver.

knox and trier are lowIQ, offense only players, like wiggins and KAT. they'll score 150 ppg, but lose all 82. and the knicks will have culver. everyone is happy, and the knicks start winning
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#649 » by br7knicks » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:34 pm

cooch2584 wrote:I have given up on frank but,to impress me knox needs to have a breakout year. average 18 pts and 9 rebounds and ill be impressed with good solid defense. i don't think frank has the IT factor to play in NY.

i disagree. don't need him to score a bunch and put up good numbers. just learn to play smart basketball and play even halfway decent defense. he didn't do either one last season.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
cooch2584
Sixth Man

Post#650 » by cooch2584 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:52 pm

off topic, but does anyone realize that, according to google, Nikola Vucevic only makes 1.7 mill and hes a ufa?? So if we can get KL for the max and offer Vucevic a good chunk of money Im happy with what we have and lets go to war.
cooch2584
Sixth Man

Post#651 » by cooch2584 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:56 pm

Nope my bad, Vucevic gets 12.7 mill, so we offer him 20 mil for 3 years. By then he will be 31 and then we go from there.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,776

Post#652 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:56 pm

cooch2584 wrote:off topic, but does anyone realize that, according to google, Nikola Vucevic only makes 1.7 mill and hes a ufa?? So if we can get KL for the max and offer Vucevic a good chunk of money Im happy with what we have and lets go to war.

According to basketball reference, he made around 12 million last year.

I'd assume he's looking at 20 million or more if he can get it, and nothing less than 16 million.

I mean, he's a nice passer for a big, has some range, but where and what do you do with Mitch?

Also, it's spending what amounts to one max cap slot (no chance for 2 max cats after this) for a good, but not great player.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#653 » by MaseInYourFace » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:57 pm

cooch2584 wrote:off topic, but does anyone realize that, according to google, Nikola Vucevic only makes 1.7 mill and hes a ufa?? So if we can get KL for the max and offer Vucevic a good chunk of money Im happy with what we have and lets go to war.

We don’t need Vucevic. No sense tying up money on a free agent center in today’s nba especially when you already have a promising cheap one you drafted.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 42,990

Post#654 » by DaGawd » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:02 pm

cooch2584 wrote:I have given up on frank but,to impress me knox needs to have a breakout year. average 18 pts and 9 rebounds and ill be impressed with good solid defense. i don't think frank has the IT factor to play in NY.

18 and 9 in year 2 are pretty lofty expectations..
BaF
Washington Wizards
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#655 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:07 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:Knox really needs to work on being a more efficient scorer. he can do that with shooting reps and focusing on blending his game by getting to the line more. He does those two he'd be a vastly better player.

As for defense, he can focus on deflections and taking charges for now. The defensive schemes should hopefully get him to being serviceable.

I'm not worried about Knox developing at all.

The Knox bashing is a bit much. Yes, he was defensively unaware a lot, and he surely was slow - not so much in general, but the awareness combined with not a lot of quickness to laterally slide, made him look pretty bad on defense.

Assuming he'll never be "great" defensively, I'd assume, as has been posted in here before, that some quick twitch quickness can come with physical development/strength, and awareness, both in general, and of individual players.

Offensively, he just needs a more consistent jumpshot, but it's already decent. Also, some more strength will make his drives more effective, which were already pretty effective considering he was one of the youngest players in the league. They got better as the season went on.

A lot of the Knox bashing is just weird. Give him a chance to get to 22 years old. Even 21.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#656 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:07 pm

DaGawd wrote:

18 and 9 in year 2 are pretty lofty expectations..

Especially if a max cat or two gets signed.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,610

Post#657 » by Billy Goat » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:10 pm

br7knicks wrote:

i disagree. don't need him to score a bunch and put up good numbers. just learn to play smart basketball and play even halfway decent defense. he didn't do either one last season.

Im afraid Fiz is just allowing bad habits. Didnt seem to be much direction or coaching last season. So many bad shots.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#658 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:34 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

Im afraid Fiz is just allowing bad habits. Didnt seem to be much direction or coaching last season. So many bad shots.

This is very much a concern.

Knicks have stated they are going down a development path. What the coach allows and teaches is part of it too.

The assumption is, for the glass half full crowd, that Fiz let them freelance etc for max losses. That's an odd thing for a coach to do, as most of them have their system sort of wired into their DNA, but lets assume Fiz is smart and flexible enough to put aside his coaching traits for a year.

It's also a concern as RJ has a rep for needing some guidance in reigning in his game, in terms of forcing shots and decision making. A general assumption seems to be that maximum RJ is unlocked, if possible, by a combination of his own diligence AND a coaching staff that steers him towards better decisions and also role of secondary creator/scorer.

It's the most important subtext of the upcoming year. What style and system does Fiz play, and how strict is he towards holding players accountable within it. That's the offensive side of the ball.

Also looking for more accountability on the defensive side of the ball as well.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#659 » by blanko » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:38 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:

trier and mitch shouldn’t attend this summer, they have nothing to prove. they can hang.

knox needs it.

The only players that need summer league are guys trying to make teams. Guys with a secure spot don't need sl at all.
No second year guys get burn also. Not every game but they do get burn.

Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#660 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:46 pm

blanko wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:

knox needs it.

No second year guys get burn also. Not every game but they do get burn.

The games are rather meaningless to contracted players. If they were why not play every game if there is value there?

Return to New York Knicks