Bol Bol

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#461 » by Hoopz Afrik » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:05 pm

He's going to prove a lot of people wrong.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#462 » by clyde21 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:07 pm

another guy mentioned yesterday that teams had problems with his 'handlers', whatever that means.
SkyhookinUrMom
Junior
And1: 351

Post#463 » by SkyhookinUrMom » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:08 am

Rooting for this Guy

Give him minutes as a SF
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#464 » by The-Power » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:05 am

SkyhookinUrMom wrote:Rooting for this Guy

Give him minutes as a SF

Are you rooting for him or want him to be played at SF? Because it cannot be both.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,534

Post#465 » by Alatan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:28 am

I think he might be a better 4 than a 5. Staying light but working on his strength would help him with his health and longevity.
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Re: Can Bol Bol be better than Bamba 

Post#466 » by Richfield » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:21 pm

Oscar9992 wrote:Bol is Eastern AKA 'Horn' African, so he is gonna be bust.

Bamba is Western African descent so he is gonna be excellent!

Yeah, call me 'racist' idi**s.

Lou WIlliams has East African ancestry.

Luol Deng. And the most obvious guy you overlooked, MANUTE Bol, HIS FATHER, from Sudan, played in the NBA. They were not busts either.

You also conveniently ignored West African busts.

No shortcuts with good scouting, especially not ethnicity or geographic location.

"Racist id**t"
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Re: Can Bol Bol be better than Bamba 

Post#467 » by Hoopz Afrik » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:00 pm

Richfield wrote:
Oscar9992 wrote:Bol is Eastern AKA 'Horn' African, so he is gonna be bust.

Bamba is Western African descent so he is gonna be excellent!

Yeah, call me 'racist' idi**s.

Lou WIlliams has East African ancestry.

Luol Deng. And the most obvious guy you overlooked, MANUTE Bol, HIS FATHER, from Sudan, played in the NBA. They were not busts either.

You also conveniently ignored West African busts.

No shortcuts with good scouting, especially not ethnicity or geographic location.

"Racist id**t"

Don't feed the trolls. He knows nothing.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#468 » by Coeur » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:09 pm

Alatan wrote:I think he might be a better 4 than a 5. Staying light but working on his strength would help him with his health and longevity.

I think that will help a ton playing w Jokic. I even wondered about how good of zone defenses could be played w Bolbol
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,534

Post#469 » by Alatan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:37 pm

Coeur wrote:
Alatan wrote:I think he might be a better 4 than a 5. Staying light but working on his strength would help him with his health and longevity.

I think that will help a ton playing w Jokic. I even wondered about how good of zone defenses could be played w Bolbol

I think that Jokic and Bol could be really effective together but defending the pick and roll will really be a challenge.

I hope Bol can be a good help defender and a decent PnR defender. Jokic needs to improve as a rim protector. On offense they are a dream combo. Bol brings both outside spacing and inside gravity and we Nuggets fans know how deadly Jokic is if you give him space to do his magic.

Jokic and Bol compliment each other really well. Jokic brings the girth and strength to battle inside and be a road block while Bol brings verticallity and rim protection that Jokic lacks. They are both skilled offensive players with 3 point range witch is really deadly at their positions.

The more spacing a team has the easier it is to create offense. Being able to play 5 out is supper deadly especially if you have a savant passer such as Jokic. Defensively they might be getting a bit exposed considering neither of them has the foot speed to keep up with perimeter players. Thats why we will need 2 good wing defenders to minimize the ability of teams to exploit a twin tower lineup.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#470 » by Coeur » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Alatan wrote:
Coeur wrote:

I think that Jokic and Bol could be really effective together but defending the pick and roll will really be a challenge.

I hope Bol can be a good help defender and a decent PnR defender. Jokic needs to improve as a rim protector. On offense they are a dream combo. Bol brings both outside spacing and inside gravity and we Nuggets fans know how deadly Jokic is if you give him space to do his magic.

Jokic and Bol compliment each other really well. Jokic brings the girth and strength to battle inside and be a road block while Bol brings verticallity and rim protection that Jokic lacks. They are both skilled offensive players with 3 point range witch is really deadly at their positions.

The more spacing a team has the easier it is to create offense. Being able to play 5 out is supper deadly especially if you have a savant passer such as Jokic. Defensively they might be getting a bit exposed considering neither of them has the foot speed to keep up with perimeter players. Thats why we will need 2 good wing defenders to minimize the ability of teams to exploit a twin tower lineup.

Wow. The last paragraph especially. You nailed it all around

2 defenders- yeah I think that’s why they settled on Harris and Craig with that roster

Jokic as a savant passer- this is why I believe in the Wiggins in Denver idea. An elite quick finisher from the 2 or 3 would be unstoppable. I’m convinced the culture and playing w Beasley and Craig could elevate Wiggins elite tools into elite production

I know neither of us is counting on Bolbol. But just the same as Michael porter jr and Vanderbilt the 3 of these guys will all get an opportunity and the ceiling should be scary for the rest of the nba
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#471 » by Vae Victus » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:17 pm

If Bol Bol is lucky, he'll have a Marcin Gortat career trajectory (not saying theyll be the same level/type of player, just the way Gortat's career blossomed as time went on).

Gortat was stuck behind prime DHo, who being an iron man minutes eater, only played like 10-15 mins a game. However Gortat was really good and efficient and eventually was signed to be PHX starting C where he did a a great job on a bargain deal, then he went to WAS and slowly aged into ineffectiveness, which is perfectly normal once youre past age 33.

Bol Bol will get scrap mins behind Jokic until he proves he can handle more. I figure it'll take him 2 years to get his body totally acclimated to the NBA and by that point some team will likely take a chance and try to steal him.

Bol Bol's in a great place to develop as DEN has done a bangup job with their foreign Cs the past several years (Mozgov, Nurkic, Jokic).
clyde21
RealGM

Post#472 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:48 pm

he needs to play the same position Porzingis has been playing
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#473 » by Richfield » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:00 am

I think Bol will have to learn how to flop effectively, when guys get too physical. Draw fouls, earn some space, then he can operate a little bit.

If he is an NBA player physically, I don't know, but his skill set seems like a fit for the Warriors, no?
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#474 » by Richfield » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:23 am

pootbrah wrote:
Fischella wrote:From what I heard, medicals were not the biggest issue, still a problem, but interviews were, he came out as a guy with no interest in playing basketball professionally
I figured there must be a ton of psychological red flags. Tbh who cares though, he's probably just introverted and not good at expressing himself. When you're 7'3" and sudo he's probably faced a fair bit of discrimination which can help make someone that way. Once he opens up I bet he's a great guy and loves the game etc... after all his dad was one of the greatest human beings and humanitarians to grace us. :) Really rooting for him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

Great post. Kareem used to talk about some issues he had socially just being that tall and fitting in and being "at ease" around people.

I bet everybody he meets outside of basketball settings, and their mother, just stare, since he was young probably. And when they do talk the subject is probably "you're tall!" (thanks for pointing that out, didn't know). And "do you play basketball?".. the usual.. So he's probably had this heap of expectations to go pro his entire life from everybody he meets. That's gotta wear on a kid, and a young man. Just sayin'.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,921

Post#475 » by stuporman » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:07 am

Bol and Jokic standing next to each other will look like the number 10.... but ironically this pairing may actually work health permitting. A front line of Jokic, Bol and Porter would be the biggest in the league....what's the odds they ever play together even once let alone a season's worth?
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
clyde21
RealGM

Post#476 » by clyde21 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:11 am

Richfield wrote:
pootbrah wrote:
Fischella wrote:From what I heard, medicals were not the biggest issue, still a problem, but interviews were, he came out as a guy with no interest in playing basketball professionally
I figured there must be a ton of psychological red flags. Tbh who cares though, he's probably just introverted and not good at expressing himself. When you're 7'3" and sudo he's probably faced a fair bit of discrimination which can help make someone that way. Once he opens up I bet he's a great guy and loves the game etc... after all his dad was one of the greatest human beings and humanitarians to grace us. :) Really rooting for him.

Great post. Kareem used to talk about some issues he had socially just being that tall and fitting in and being "at ease" around people.

I bet everybody he meets outside of basketball settings, and their mother, just stare, since he was young probably. And when they do talk the subject is probably "you're tall!" (thanks for pointing that out, didn't know). And "do you play basketball?".. the usual.. So he's probably had this heap of expectations to go pro his entire life from everybody he meets. That's gotta wear on a kid, and a young man. Just sayin'.

agreed, but if that's teams'm thought process, a lot of people need to be fired. when are you ever gonna find a 7'2 dude that can score on all 3 levels, shoot FTs at an 80% clip and block shots? good luck.

if he was red flagged because of medical issues (something we're not necessarily privy to), then that's a different discussion.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#477 » by CoreyVillains » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:13 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Richfield wrote:
pootbrah wrote:I figured there must be a ton of psychological red flags. Tbh who cares though, he's probably just introverted and not good at expressing himself. When you're 7'3" and sudo he's probably faced a fair bit of discrimination which can help make someone that way. Once he opens up I bet he's a great guy and loves the game etc... after all his dad was one of the greatest human beings and humanitarians to grace us. :) Really rooting for him.

agreed, but if that's teams'm thought process, a lot of people need to be fired. when are you ever gonna find a 7'2 dude that can score on all 3 levels, shoot FTs at an 80% clip and block shots? good luck.

if he was red flagged because of medical issues (something we're not necessarily privy to), then that's a different discussion.

But the question is how is he going to show off the natural talent and 3 level scoring ability if he has no idea how to play organized team basketball? And how does a kid who doesn’t understand the nuances of the game going to see the floor at all on a title contender? There’s not much room for him to play through all of the mistakes he is 100% going to make. How much patience is a coach focused on seeding and a title going to have for someone like Bol? My bet is very little.
pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#478 » by pootbrah » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:29 am

CoreyVillains wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Richfield wrote:

But the question is how is he going to show off the natural talent and 3 level scoring ability if he has no idea how to play organized team basketball? And how does a kid who doesn’t understand the nuances of the game going to see the floor at all on a title contender? There’s not much room for him to play through all of the mistakes he is 100% going to make. How much patience is a coach focused on seeding and a title going to have for someone like Bol? My bet is very little.
That's the thing. Albeit only 9 games (Garland 5....) but against a generally tough college schedule, he showed he could display that in a team setting......

clyde21
RealGM

Post#479 » by clyde21 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:52 am

im not sure wth 'doesn't know how to play organized basketball' means...dude was on pace to have an enormous college season, and Oregon's metrics were all much better with him on the court (granted only 9 games against weak competition)...
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#480 » by CoreyVillains » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:59 pm

pootbrah wrote:
CoreyVillains wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

That's the thing. Albeit only 9 games (Garland 5....) but against a generally tough college schedule, he showed he could display that in a team setting......

He had very nice box score numbers. But if you watched the games, s Apparent he has no idea how to play in a team setting. He was always in the way on offense, just inching towards the ball handler. He consistently broke sets. Set awful screens. He scored his points in a very AAU type of way. Defensively he was a nightmare. Over jumping close outs, failing to box out, very little effort. I shudder at the thought of him guarding NBA guards on switches. He has a longgggggg way to go. And I’d bet on him never getting there. But maybe getting drafted in the second round humbles him a bit and lights a fire under him.

Return to NBA Draft