ImageImageImage

Jalen Lecque

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Jalen Lecque 

Post#1 » by Saberestar » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:00 am

Lecque’s story was unique before Phoenix signed him.

From New York, the five-star talent was an N.C. State signee, but he could declare for the draft coming out of high school because he reclassified after his junior year.

That led to Lecque becoming a year removed from his original high school class, which is required to enter the draft. The now 19-year-old completed a fifth year at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire.

He went to the NBA combine last month in Chicago and measured out to 6-2½ without shoes (6-4 ¼ with shoes) and 185.2 pounds.

Lecque showed his explosive leaping ability in posting the highest max vertical there at 43 inches. He also made some good passes on pick-and-roll and out to perimeter shooters off the bounce.

Remember, Suns General Manager James Jones was in Chicago. He saw Lecque.

Dude is a talent. Probably could’ve used a year of college, particularly in the ACC. He would’ve improved and probably become a first-round pick in 2020.

Saberestar
RealGM

Re: Jalen Lecque 

Post#2 » by Saberestar » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:02 am

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#3 » by Saberestar » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:15 am

Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#4 » by Fo-Real » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:29 pm

It will be hilarious if this damn kid is better than Melton or Okobo. If he went to college he maybe would have been next years high upside pg in the draft.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,461

Post#5 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:47 am

It would be awesome if we were able to bring in Beverly to mentor Jalen on defense, tenacity, and toughness. And then let both Booker and Seth curry mentor him on shooting. Could you imagine what he could possibly become for us with great shooting and great defense added to his unreal athleticism??? :o :o :o

He could then become our third star in a few years, right as Booker and Ayton and Bridges enter there primes. That would be a really exciting and scary team. :nod:
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#6 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:01 am

He's certainly athletic

Read on Twitter

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#7 » by Saberestar » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:23 am

Fo-Real wrote:It will be hilarious if this damn kid is better than Melton or Okobo. If he went to college he maybe would have been next years high upside pg in the draft.

Hilarious? I think it is a real possiblity.

Melton and Okobo were second rounders for a reason. And they did not play well AT ALL on his rookie season. They have shown nothing.

I am OK with the idea of give them another season, but I am not optimistic about a big improvement in their games.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#8 » by Wilber85 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:03 am

Jalen Lecque ROY 2021. Ben Simmons style
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,807

Post#9 » by RedIndian » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:08 am

Archie Goodwin was athletic as hell too. Don't expect anything but D-League burn for this kid.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#10 » by bigfoot » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:41 am

RedIndian wrote:Archie Goodwin was athletic as hell too. Don't expect anything but D-League burn for this kid.

Goodwin was low IQ too. Let's hope JJ has done some evaluations of his mental abilities and character.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,031

Post#11 » by sunsbg » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:27 am

Fo-Real wrote:It will be hilarious if this damn kid is better than Melton or Okobo. If he went to college he maybe would have been next years high upside pg in the draft.

I sometimes check future mocks and certainly have seen his name and Westbrook comparison at the top of one.

That being said, he went undrafted, so he's basically a kid that can jump and probably not good at anything else. Not sure if he will spend any time with the Suns being assigned to D-league and how much development those guys get there. Curious to see how he does in SL though.
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#12 » by darmani » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:29 am

Read on Twitter
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,622

Post#13 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:19 am

Or even Jerome considering we moved up to get Jerome
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#14 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:22 am

Cool
denial
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,014

Post#15 » by denial » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:20 am

I was trying to determine that average height of an NBA guard because I was thinking Lecque was too short, (as in his height, not as in Todd Shaw). So I googled the average NBA guard height and found that they are usually 6'4" or shorter. So he is good.

But what was kind of interesting to me, as an aging basketball fan who is adjusting to the new style of basketball where its often five out with 10 wings and a bunch of iso, was the list of positions at the bottom of the wiki page.

1 Floor General
2 Wing
3 Wing
4 Post
5 Pivot

In addition to these titles, the little sub-notes stood out to me (swing, combo, wing etc)

I get that the game has changed alot in the last 10-20 years.

(I wrote a long post where I described how I thought of the \positions and how I thought wikipedia was weird.
I had made two lists of my own. One was my "old" version (because I am old) with the tradition 1PG ball handler through 5C banger. Then my second list was a modern list with 5 out spreads and more iso descriptions. Basically 4 wings and a stretch inside-out guy.
But the more I typed the more I sort of "got" what they were saying. I figured I'd still post this because I still think their list is interesting and wondered if anything about their list surprised any of you younger folks who better understand today;s game)

Edit: Oh and then the chart they show just confused me more. The image shows 2 out, 3 in. For me, in the old days, a "normal" set would have been 3 out, 2 in. Or maybe 2 out, 2 in, with one roamer/pivot/stretch guy. Now adays it seems more like 4 out or 5 out with some motions etc. (I have always been a fan of motion offenses and would usually run a 3 out set with heavy motion and hi picks, which I assume would be outdated now adays even with the motion because of my heavy use of high pnr) Their chart is unexpected for me. Im curious if seeing this will change my view on offensive sets. The location of the "3" and "5" in particular)

Wiki page (at the bottom under "basketball positions"): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_guard

image: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ac/Basketball_Positions.png/200px-Basketball_Positions.png

Another Edit: Looking at the table of positions more now I think I also don't get the format of the table itself. Because next to the notes for the "1" they have "Combo Guard PG/SG".. To me "1" always means PG (which of course could be a combo guard). So maybe they are listing the numbers as "roles" and not actually "positions". Which makes sense in a way.. its a literal "position" within the set. But I digress at this point. I'm sure its all subjective.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#16 » by kennydorglas » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:41 am

Based on his combine numbers, his athletic testing was off the charts (+1.7 above the standard deviation, which is ELITE).
Had a very bad agility testing tho (-0.8 standard deviation).

For future reference, Derrick Rose had a +1.8 athletic testing and was average in his agility test.
Ill definitely look into his lateral movement in the SL.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#17 » by ATTL » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:50 am

I was thinking Jalen had a promise in the late first or early second to keep his name in. Getting him as an undrafted free agent is pretty great. No risk high reward player to let learn in the gleague for a couple years.

Excited to see him in summer league.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#18 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:51 am

I think it's pretty clear he's right up there in terms of the physical and athletic measurements and he has a good amount of skill too. Problem seems to be on court smarts and just getting it together.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,205

Post#19 » by King4Day » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:41 am

Is the assumption he'll play the year in the G-League?
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Post#20 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:12 am

DarkHawk wrote:Is the assumption he'll play the year in the G-League?

I'm guessing he will at a minimum play a lot of it there.

Return to Phoenix Suns