Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,571

The Jaylen Nowell Thread 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:35 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Re: The Jaylen Nowell Thread 

Post#2 » by minimus » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:04 am

Just let this guy play. Very promising player.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,167

Post#3 » by Neeva » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:35 am

Looking forward to watching him play in summer league.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#4 » by Takingbaconback » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:51 am

Wow that is impressive. In the few games I've watched, he seemed to run toward the ball and didn't seem too interested playing within the system offball. If he is a willing passer and can work on actions off the ball, he looks like a huge steal. It could be that Washington lacked offensive firepower around him and he thought they needed him to score more to win.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,039

Post#5 » by shangrila » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:16 am

Takingbaconback wrote:Wow that is impressive. In the few games I've watched, he seemed to run toward the ball and didn't seem too interested playing within the system offball. If he is a willing passer and can work on actions off the ball, he looks like a huge steal. It could be that Washington lacked offensive firepower around him and he thought they needed him to score more to win.

I think that's what happened. Can't say for sure but the numbers suggest it. Only 25% assisted at the rim, 7% (!) assisted from other 2s and he took almost 100 more shots than the next closest player on his team.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,167

Post#6 » by Neeva » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:24 am

Didn’t washington have thybull? Players from that school have really busted in the league the past few years, I hope Nowell breaks that trend.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#7 » by Takingbaconback » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:32 am

Neeva wrote:Didn’t washington have thybull? Players from that school have really busted in the league the past few years, I hope Nowell breaks that trend.

From what I understand, I think he's more of defender rather than a scorer and shot creator although he looks like he's gonna develop into a very solid 3-D guy eventually. Speaking of Thybulle, I wish we got our hands on him
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#8 » by minimus » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:29 pm

He reminds me Scary Terry. He is far from polished product and needs good offensive scheme to be impactful player
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#9 » by Killboard » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:17 pm

Seems like a gym rat and heads up guy. Also skilled on both sides of the floor.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#10 » by KGdaBom » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:38 pm

I think he was one of many solid picks we could have made. I heard about the 44% from three and that excited me. Than I found out it was on pretty low volume and his prior season he made 35% making his college career 3% just under 40. His 50% combined shooting from a SG last season and 48% for his college career is something I'm still excited about. I like him, but guardedly optimistic.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#11 » by KGdaBom » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:40 pm

Neeva wrote:Didn’t washington have thybull? Players from that school have really busted in the league the past few years, I hope Nowell breaks that trend.

I don't put much stock into a school's trends for players. Some, but not much. Pretty much each player stands of their own merit in my book. I would use the school's trend as a tie breaker.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#12 » by Swish4 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:27 am

Pretty solid all around game. The kind of guy you can put on the floor and don't have to worry about at either end of the court. He's well rounded.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#13 » by Killboard » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:03 pm

I love Ben Rubin work at The Stepien. Isnt because he never missess but because he always is trying to figure out things from different perspectives.

This is a very good read on Nowell.

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/06/12/draft-notes-jaylen-nowell-better-think/
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#14 » by wolfen » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:28 pm

Everyone loved KBD in round 2 last year. I was happy about the pick as well, but I believe Nowell will be an even better round 2 pick than KBD. Summer league can't get here soon enough to watch the new young guns play!!
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#15 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:51 pm

Killboard wrote:I love Ben Rubin work at The Stepien. Isnt because he never missess but because he always is trying to figure out things from different perspectives.

Additional notes from Ben Rubin in the comment section:

"Nowell is a player who is seriously underrated. He’s probably the best of this bunch and could potentially be a lot more than a bench player. Pac-12 played in perpetual zone and Nowell doesn’t seek bodies so didn’t get to the FTA a lot which hurts him by metrics, but he was excellent at realizing how to get his shot off in interior ranges, when to pull up and keep distance between himself and his defender, and while he’s not as good a prospect as Ray Allen or Donovan Mitchell, not as big as either nor quite as good and a stratosphere less athletic than Mitchell, I think if we gave him a fair shake, he might profile as a lottery level prospect or close to it."

(Comparing Nowell and Coby White) "They’re different players, with Coby having some more general O control, more seemingly diverse shooting skills and more passing chops, but look from a macro level at Coby White and Jaylen Nowell’s freshman boxscore stats. It’s impossible not to notice they’re nearly identical, then to take it a step farther and also note that Jaylen Nowell is significantly more athletic and a significantly better frame."

(Comparing Nowell to other perimeter players drafted in the 1st round) "Also, pretty sure Nowell is straight up a better prospect than Herro and KPJ, so with where you can get them in the draft, and considering where you can get them in the draft, it’s not close. Think Nowell would’ve been a year or two away from averaging over 20 ppg, 5 rpg, 4 ast and over a steal while shooting 50% from 2P, close to or better than 40% from 3P and 80% from the FT. Basically a Roy, Lillard, George Hill type season."
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#16 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:20 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
Killboard wrote:I love Ben Rubin work at The Stepien. Isnt because he never missess but because he always is trying to figure out things from different perspectives.

"Nowell is a player who is seriously underrated. He’s probably the best of this bunch and could potentially be a lot more than a bench player. Pac-12 played in perpetual zone and Nowell doesn’t seek bodies so didn’t get to the FTA a lot which hurts him by metrics, but he was excellent at realizing how to get his shot off in interior ranges, when to pull up and keep distance between himself and his defender, and while he’s not as good a prospect as Ray Allen or Donovan Mitchell, not as big as either nor quite as good and a stratosphere less athletic than Mitchell, I think if we gave him a fair shake, he might profile as a lottery level prospect or close to it."

(Comparing Nowell and Coby White) "They’re different players, with Coby having some more general O control, more seemingly diverse shooting skills and more passing chops, but look from a macro level at Coby White and Jaylen Nowell’s freshman boxscore stats. It’s impossible not to notice they’re nearly identical, then to take it a step farther and also note that Jaylen Nowell is significantly more athletic and a significantly better frame."

(Comparing Nowell to other perimeter players drafted in the 1st round) "Also, pretty sure Nowell is straight up a better prospect than Herro and KPJ, so with where you can get them in the draft, and considering where you can get them in the draft, it’s not close. Think Nowell would’ve been a year or two away from averaging over 20 ppg, 5 rpg, 4 ast and over a steal while shooting 50% from 2P, close to or better than 40% from 3P and 80% from the FT. Basically a Roy, Lillard, George Hill type season."

That is some serious like of Jaylen Nowell. If he's half as good as this guy thinks we got a steal.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#17 » by Swish4 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:20 pm

He gets knocked down for only playing zone in college, but I remember a scout talking about how playing zone teaches guys some defensive concepts that are very useful. Things guys that have played man to man primarily don't learn.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#18 » by Jedzz » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:31 am

Swish4 wrote:He gets knocked down for only playing zone in college, but I remember a scout talking about how playing zone teaches guys some defensive concepts that are very useful. Things guys that have played man to man primarily don't learn.

I like this point if true.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#19 » by Jedzz » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:31 am

Killboard wrote:

Seems like a gym rat and heads up guy. Also skilled on both sides of the floor.

Please give him minutes to find out.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#20 » by horaceworthy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:04 am

TheZachAttack wrote:

He’s also fairly young for his class (5 months older than Herro), and the las 19 year old SG to win PAC 12 player of the year was James Harden, so we’ve got that going for us, which is nice.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves