ImageImageImage

Would swapping Tobias w D Russ make sense?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

If Tobias & D Russ swapped teams...

Both teams get better
47%
Only Sixers get better
14%
Only Nets get better
31%
Both teams get worse
8%

Total votes: 49

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,746

Re: Would swapping Tobias w D Russ make sense? 

Post#101 » by Negrodamus » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:54 pm

Russell did average 27 ppg in 4 matchups against the Raptors.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#102 » by Kobblehead » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:19 pm

But he can play on and off the ball and space the floor for Embiid. Jimmy can't.

Jimmy is a #1 on a non-contender. He can't be a #2 or a #3 because he won't play off the ball.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#103 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:59 pm

Damn I'm getting my hopes up to replace Jimmy with DLO. Jimmy could go join LeBron and AD in LA while he comes here.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,461

Post#104 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:12 pm

As crazy as this topic has gotten, I actually agree that D'Angelo Russell is a much better fit for us than Jimmy Butler is both short and long term. I don't necessarily think he's a better player than Butler, but he's a much better fit with Simmons and Embiid in my opinion. A player like D'Angelo Russell has been the missing piece since the duo of Simmons/Embiid was first formed. As mentioned Markelle Fultz was supposed to be that guy, prior to that we all had high hopes of drafting D'Angelo Russell back in 2015. We then acquire Fultz when Russell's value was at a career low. Many written him off as a bust already in the league. He went to Brooklyn and became a star player and now he's a restricted free agent. If we lost Butler or Harris and gained Russell I wouldn't be upset at all.
You can't for one second say that Butler didn't struggle at times trying to find a fit on this team. We all saw it quite often during the regular season where his "fit" was in question. Obviously in the playoffs that changed, but because he isn't a very good three point shooter, his fit on this team is a hard one at times. As Kobble mentioned, he has to be a primary ball handler/shot creator to maximize his talents.
For the record i'm in no way saying that we shouldn't bring him back because i'd love to have him back....But...the thought of adding a younger talent who is now an all star along with being a better fit for this team is definitely intriguing.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,121

Post#105 » by Arsenal » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:57 pm

D'Angelo Russell is great for us IF we can also bring in another stud backcourt defender in Danny Green.

Add both those guys and we're set. Green takes the toughest defensive matchup allowing us to hide Russell on defense.

We can get both those guys if we let Butler go because we'll have $38M in cap space. $27M for D'Lo MAX then the rest to Danny Green.
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#106 » by bball4life » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:01 pm

It's honestly like you all have forgotten what happened when the Sixers played the Nets this past playoffs. The only place the Nets ended up successfully"hiding" Dlo was on the bench in favor of Dinwiddie. Empty volume chucking scoring in the regular season means nothing come playoff time, particularly from a player who refuses to go to the hoop and draw contact.

I'd be shocked if Dlo is ever a piece for a successful playoff team.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#107 » by Arsenal » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:05 pm

bball4life wrote:It's honestly like you all have forgotten what happened when the Sixers played the Nets this past playoffs. The only place the Nets ended up successfully"hiding" Dlo was on the bench in favor of Dinwiddie. Empty volume chucking scoring in the regular season means nothing come playoff time, particularly from a player who refuses to go to the hoop and draw contact.

He just made an all-star team at age 22. Not sure why people like you are sure that he's a finished product.

Re: efficiency - he would see way more open looks here playing with Embiid, Simmons, Redick, and Butler or Harris. With the Nets he usually faced the best perimeter defender of the opposing team.
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#108 » by bball4life » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:10 pm

Arsenal wrote:
bball4life wrote:It's honestly like you all have forgotten what happened when the Sixers played the Nets this past playoffs. The only place the Nets ended up successfully"hiding" Dlo was on the bench in favor of Dinwiddie. Empty volume chucking scoring in the regular season means nothing come playoff time, particularly from a player who refuses to go to the hoop and draw contact.

He just made an all-star team at age 22. Not sure why people like you are sure that he's a finished product.

Re: efficiency - he would see way more open looks here playing with Embiid, Simmons, Redick, and Butler or Harris. With the Nets he usually faced the best perimeter defender of the opposing team.

Lots of volume scorers who can't play defense have made the all star teams over the years. I am way more concerned with his lack of ability or desire to play defense or the fact he NEVER goes to the rack but instead tries these little finesse shots to avoid layups for whatever reason. Add that to his questionable character and the fact this was by far his best year in a contract year and I'd avoid him like the plague.

If you want someone who hits open looks just stick with Redick. Dlo loves to pound the ball and is ball dominant. I just don't like his game for a team with championship aspirations
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#109 » by Arsenal » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:17 pm

bball4life wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

Lots of volume scorers who can't play defense have made the all star teams over the years. I am way more concerned with his lack of ability or desire to play defense or the fact he NEVER goes to the rack but instead tries these little finesse shots to avoid layups for whatever reason. Add that to his questionable character and the fact this was by far his best year in a contract year and I'd avoid him like the plague.

If you want someone who hits open looks just stick with Redick. Dlo loves to pound the ball and is ball dominant. I just don't like his game for a team with championship aspirations

Disagree. Just over half of his 3PT attempts were assisted. He is a good off-ball shooter, around 39% from 3PT last year. But he can create for himself which is what we desperately need in our backcourt. Redick certainly can't. Butler sort of can but isn't great at it.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#110 » by Negrodamus » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:19 pm

My own silly, likely irrational, reason to not max D'Angelo is that I'd like to see what we have in Shake Milton. I know, the G-League is a terrible barometer for projecting players to the NBA, but being a rookie and dropping a 25, 5, and 5 with 1.3 spg and going to the line 5 times a game and 6 threes a game is worth noticing. Along with that, he was dunking over people with either hand and finishing at the rim (one of his biggest concerns).

He is a similar athletic tier to D'Angelo but is taller and longer. Clearly has great vision, but not to the same level as Russell. Is a willing slasher where D'Angelo is clearly not. Russell is the better shooter off the dribble because of his crazy quick release, but I actually like Shake's form better. I also like Shake's potential on defense better.

Obviously DLo is established so it's absurd to compare the two, but I am also not terribly comfortable with a lot of DLo's shortcomings as a max contract. Just got cited for marijuana possession at the airport (say what you want about weed legalization, but don't take it to the obviously illegal place where they check for it). Struggles mightily on defense. I'm also concerned by his inefficiency:
https://www.bball-index.com/dangelo-russell-your-time-is-now/

I know my first sentence will get me killed, but I am fully prepared to embrace any criticism.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#111 » by Arsenal » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:42 pm

I think Shake showed some nice flashes but I'll be shocked if we make any moves or don't make any moves based upon him. If he ends up being a player that's just icing on the cake.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#112 » by Negrodamus » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:48 pm

Arsenal wrote:I think Shake showed some nice flashes but I'll be shocked if we make any moves or don't make any moves based upon him. If he ends up being a player that's just icing on the cake.

Oh I definitely know that, hence irrational. I'm just wondering if Russell is the right move.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#113 » by Arsenal » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:52 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Arsenal wrote:I think Shake showed some nice flashes but I'll be shocked if we make any moves or don't make any moves based upon him. If he ends up being a player that's just icing on the cake.

Oh I definitely know that, hence irrational. I'm just wondering if Russell is the right move.

People are talking like he's a finished product. Russell just put up a huge season at age 22. It even compares favorably to guys like Harden and Curry at that same age. Not saying he's going to be as good as those guys, but he should continue improving for the next 5+ years until his late 20's. Guys like that typically don't ever come available.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#114 » by Negrodamus » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:57 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

People are talking like he's a finished product. Russell just put up a huge season at age 22. It even compares favorably to guys like Harden and Curry at that same age. Not saying he's going to be as good as those guys, but he should continue improving for the next 5+ years until his late 20's. Guys like that typically don't ever come available.

Definitely Steph, but not Harden due to a lack of drawing fouls. Steph was pretty bad at that early on, but he was also always an elite shooter, never dipping below 40% from 3 or 80% from FT. D'Angelo has a wonky form that I believe will prevent him from ever being in the Steph area of a shooter.

Not saying he's not going to be a good player, but there are parts of his game that are very concerning to me; especially once the playoffs come around.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#115 » by Kolkmania » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:52 am

I like the idea of swapping Harris with Russell, however this is purely a hypothetical scenario since it is not possible via S&T or whatever, right?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers