ImageImageImage

Deividas Sirvydis

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Deividas Sirvydis 

Post#1 » by coordinator0 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:31 pm

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/896386/deividas-sirvydis-to-fight-for-spot-in-pistons-roster/

Sirvydis will travel to USA and train individually, before making his way to Detroit. He is expected to be part of the Summer League roster of the Pistons and from there try to secure a spot in Dwane Casey’s final squad for the upcoming NBA Regular Season.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

So we'll get to see him right away. I like it, would rather see his development (physical especially) come with the team and their resources rather than overseas where they have no influence. Sirvydis might be signed to the other 2-way slot with Bone too. If just sliding under the luxury tax is the goal that's what I would expect at least.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Re: Deividas Sirvydis 

Post#2 » by MotownMadness » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:35 pm

SL champs
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#3 » by Kilo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:44 pm

He's coming over to be a G-League draft and stash. I guess it works in the same way - he signs a G-League contract rather than a NBA contract and it's the same as holding his second round rights as if he played in Europe. I'm not sure how a 2-way contract would work - I assume that wouldn't be a draft and stash as it's an NBA contract still.

He's taking a huge pay cut if he signs a basic G-League contract as I think they were recently bumped up to $70K max.

G-League is such a terrible league though - he should stay over in Europe. But I can see why his club team there doesn't want the kid anymore if they just develop him for the Pistons/NBA.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#4 » by thesack12 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:28 pm

Kilo wrote:He's coming over to be a G-League draft and stash. I guess it works in the same way - he signs a G-League contract rather than a NBA contract and it's the same as holding his second round rights as if he played in Europe. I'm not sure how a 2-way contract would work - I assume that wouldn't be a draft and stash as it's an NBA contract still.

He's taking a huge pay cut if he signs a basic G-League contract as I think they were recently bumped up to $70K max.

G-League is such a terrible league though - he should stay over in Europe. But I can see why his club team there doesn't want the kid anymore if they just develop him for the Pistons/NBA.

I'm not sure if I buy into you last thought. I mean there are several foreign prospects drafted every year in the second round. How often do we hear their current teams are pushing them to come over immediately?

Those coaches/executives/team owners over there have all the same goals the NBA guys do here. Keep their jobs, seek promotions, make money, etc. If they have a player in house that they feel can help them achieve those, I don't know why they would be eager to push them out the door. Especially if that player's potential future employer is practicing patience and doesn't want to get their hands on them immediately.

Maybe his current team doesn't internally think he's all that good?

Edit: Just re-read the tweet in the OP about his team eager for the buyout. I have no idea what the situation around that team is, are they eager to get the buyout because they are currently cash strapped? Or are they eager to get the buyout because they feel like he's going to get exposed with further seasoning and Detroit will never come calling with a check in hand down the line?
Kilo
RealGM

Post#5 » by Kilo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:25 pm

^I think they thought of him as a long term prospect for their team and were willing to put the time in to develop him with that end result. Sirvydis himself was quoted that he didn't have NBA plans really until around the draft and he was getting some interest. They'd rather use his roster spot and developmental time for a player who will be there longer term. He wasn't some uber prospect type carrying his team where even one-two more years of him would be worth it. He was a depth guy when playing up.
Weaver = Hinkie
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#6 » by The_Irony » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:00 pm

Honestly the only good comparison would be cedi osman.

got drafted at 20 and didnt come into the league until 23

hes a good player now..lets see if this kid can do the same thing
thesack12
RealGM

Post#7 » by thesack12 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:15 pm

Kilo wrote:^I think they thought of him as a long term prospect for their team and were willing to put the time in to develop him with that end result. Sirvydis himself was quoted that he didn't have NBA plans really until around the draft and he was getting some interest. They'd rather use his roster spot and developmental time for a player who will be there longer term. He wasn't some uber prospect type carrying his team where even one-two more years of him would be worth it. He was a depth guy when playing up.

All valid points.

That said, several of these type of picks are made every year in the draft. NBA teams aren't drafting 24,25 year old prospects which are the "core player" types for those foreign teams. NBA teams draft foreign prospects based on potential, generally speaking the younger a player is the more potential they have. Every draft has a handful of foreign picks that never make it to the NBA. Why that happens may be for a multitude of reasons.

I'm not going to pretend like I have half a clue what his team's situation is over there. Maybe they have their next Sirvydis already in house and ready to queue him up, I don't know. Its just odd that foreign clubs would be eager to push their guys out the door if they held any value to them.

He also just became a lot more marketable over there as well. I'm sure they could sell some more tickets over there touting "come and see future NBA player Deividas Sirvydis."

In any event, its just a strange situation. Detroit apparently took him with the idea of using the draft and stash strategy, yet now his team is apparently eager to get rid of him.

Did Detroit do enough homework on this guy?
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#8 » by Han Solo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:58 pm

There was some big Lithuania basketball fan in the GB a few days back that said this kid was coming over this year. Not staying in Europe. He also said this kid can really shoot the ball.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#9 » by Kilo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:09 pm

Michael Tellem is his agent, so we better have made this pick with our eyes wide open and he's still a draft and stash. I think we looked for the best player who would accept a draft and stash. I'd be willing to bet that we asked the agents of players pegged to be early second rounders if their clients would be draft and stash. Bone also took 2-way contract money which I guess is D&S as they're still RFA's after that contract and don't count against our cap next season.
Weaver = Hinkie
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#10 » by MotownMadness » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:14 pm

He actually looks pretty good
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,598

Post#11 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:06 pm

All he has to do is end up being better than Porter and that will be a success. If they both end up scrubs, just be the better one. And, that will be a success.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,701

Post#12 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:05 am

thesack12 wrote:
Kilo wrote:He's coming over to be a G-League draft and stash. I guess it works in the same way - he signs a G-League contract rather than a NBA contract and it's the same as holding his second round rights as if he played in Europe. I'm not sure how a 2-way contract would work - I assume that wouldn't be a draft and stash as it's an NBA contract still.

I'm not sure if I buy into you last thought. I mean there are several foreign prospects drafted every year in the second round. How often do we hear their current teams are pushing them to come over immediately?

Those coaches/executives/team owners over there have all the same goals the NBA guys do here. Keep their jobs, seek promotions, make money, etc. If they have a player in house that they feel can help them achieve those, I don't know why they would be eager to push them out the door. Especially if that player's potential future employer is practicing patience and doesn't want to get their hands on them immediately.

Edit: Just re-read the tweet in the OP about his team eager for the buyout. I have no idea what the situation around that team is, are they eager to get the buyout because they are currently cash strapped? Or are they eager to get the buyout because they feel like he's going to get exposed with further seasoning and Detroit will never come calling with a check in hand down the line?

Honestly, most Euro teams develop young players just so they could cash in from bigger clubs, thats just reality of the day. Problem with Sirvydis and Rytas, is that he is not big contributer for their team still, this is not Mega Leks situation, where team is purely a farm, but young players are also their leaders, so its worth keeping them. I would not expect great things from Sirvydis and Sekou right away, they were far away from being regular contributers even in their domestic league, and NBA is different level entirely. I expect both Sirvydis and Sekou to be in G league for a long time.

G league is terrible, but its not a terrible path, and I dont expect G league being to weak for Sirvydis right away. Look at Houston and Hartenstein. They drafted Hartenstein and put in G league, first year he was g league role player, but second year he figured out and destroyed g league, he was big superstar there, and I expect Hartenstein to be NBA contributor soon, he made a big jump just playign in G leagye. i think thats not a bad tactic to use with non lottery projects.

I am just afraid Sirvydis will turn exact same way as Furkan Korkmaz from Philladelphia. Korkmaz was not close ready to contribute at Euroleague or especially NBA level, but he wanted to come over to the nbA as soon as possible, he spent 2 years in Philly bench warming and G leaguing, and now we have rumors that Philly do not want to extend him and that he is returning to Turkey.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#13 » by The Moose » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:24 am

UcanUwill wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Honestly, most Euro teams develop young players just so they could cash in from bigger clubs, thats just reality of the day. Problem with Sirvydis and Rytas, is that he is not big contributer for their team still, this is not Mega Leks situation, where team is purely a farm, but young players are also their leaders, so its worth keeping them. I would not expect great things from Sirvydis and Sekou right away, they were far away from being regular contributers even in their domestic league, and NBA is different level entirely. I expect both Sirvydis and Sekou to be in G league for a long time.

G league is terrible, but its not a terrible path, and I dont expect G league being to weak for Sirvydis right away. Look at Houston and Hartenstein. They drafted Hartenstein and put in G league, first year he was g league role player, but second year he figured out and destroyed g league, he was big superstar there, and I expect Hartenstein to be NBA contributor soon, he made a big jump just playign in G leagye. i think thats not a bad tactic to use with non lottery projects.

I am just afraid Sirvydis will turn exact same way as Furkan Korkmaz from Philladelphia. Korkmaz was not close ready to contribute at Euroleague or especially NBA level, but he wanted to come over to the nbA as soon as possible, he spent 2 years in Philly bench warming and G leaguing, and now we have rumors that Philly do not want to extend him and that he is returning to Turkey.

With everything they've said so far, its very unlikely Sekou will be in the gleague for a long time. Don't forget we were playing Thon Maker minutes this season, I think they will let him play through the lumps. Sirvydis will certainly be in the g-league because the team only wants to carry 1 rookie on the roster this season
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#14 » by Jstock12 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:09 pm

thesack12
RealGM

Post#15 » by thesack12 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:07 pm

^ Cool pic, thanks for sharing...

Does anybody know if that was taken before or after Conley got traded to Utah?

I'm calling it right now, Sirvydis gonna recruit Donovan Mitchell to Detroit in 2021 :-P
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#16 » by Jstock12 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:10 pm

thesack12 wrote:^ Cool pic, thanks for sharing...

I'm calling it right now, Sirvydis gonna recruit Donovan Mitchell to Detroit in 2021 :-P

He JUST posted it on his instagram, 2 hours ago. I think a kid like him wouldn't have been able to keep something like that a secret. So my guess is that he's been in the same gym as those guys the last few days.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#17 » by thesack12 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:13 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:^ Cool pic, thanks for sharing...

He JUST posted it on his instagram, 2 hours ago. I think a kid like him wouldn't have been able to keep something like that a secret. So my guess is that he's been in the same gym as those guys the last few days.

Yeah, you would think so.

He's definitely doing work with the right kind of guys.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#18 » by The_Irony » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:44 pm

Jstock12 wrote:

what could have been
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#19 » by vege » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:00 am