ImageImageImageImageImage

Update: Harrison Barnes signs 4 yr $85M deal [Amick] (update #134)

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

Kings2016
Ballboy
And1: 4

Re: Harrison Barnes declines $25.1m player option. 

Post#41 » by Kings2016 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:37 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
City of Trees wrote:I see this unfolding two ways...

1. Barnes opted out after long negotiations with Sacramento and plans on resigning

Or

2. Barnes opted out after long negotiations with Sacramento and plans on testing the market, 100% ready to walk if a better deal comes along.

So I know what you're thinking "thank you Captain Obvious"... And you're right. This post is more of a rant.

As I sit here wondering if I should allow my brain to shift gears looking at potential Barnes replacements it's really bugging me that Barnes and the Kings already know how this ends and we don't.

SPARE ME THIS TUESDAY NIGHT VLADE.

This was today btw. Those smiles say we have something brewing.

Vucevic, Harris and Middleton are improvements that could get you to the playoffs for sure maybe further depending on how good Bagley is.... btw everyone thinks Harris is a power forward he is more of a small forward in a power forwards body.. he can play the SF with Bagley at the PF .. they have enough cap space IF they leave the Harrison Barnes thing alone to get both Vucevic at around 4 years 164 million and also Harris 4 years 164 max contracts that would improve your team and make you a contender in the west( PG Fox, SG Heild, SF Harris, PF Bagley C Vucevic) .. its not time to sit and wait until next year .. they have a great opportunity now and they need to do whatever they can to get it done .. Cauley Stein you let go or offer the qualifying offer just to make sure you can get something in return for him in a sign and trade. I just don’t think Vlade is smart enough to leave Barnes alone.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#42 » by BoogieTime » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:48 pm

Kings2016 wrote:Why In the heck would the Kings want Brooke Lopez that’s doesn’t change or improve you significantly. Jordan is to old now with this young roster.. Vucevic, Harris and Middleton are improvements that could get you to the playoffs for sure maybe further depending on how good Bagley is.... btw everyone thinks Harris is a power forward he is more of a small forward in a power forwards body.. he can play the SF with Bagley at the PF .. they have enough cap space if they leave the Harrison Barnes thing alone to get both Vucevic at around 4 years 164 million and also Harris 4 years 164 max contracts that would improve your team and make you a contender in the west( PG Fox, SG Heild, SF Harris, PF Bagley C Vucevic) .. its not time to sit and wait until next year .. they have a great opportunity now and they need to do whatever they can to get it done .. Cauley Stein you let go or offer the qualifying offer just to make sure you can get something in return for him in a sign and trade.

Dude man, I think you’ve written the same identical passage multiple times.

I’m thinking it’s understood Vuc, Harris, Middleton won’t readily be available and will have a lot of competition for their services, so people have “realistic” scenarios too if we can’t acquire the top dawgs
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#43 » by OGSactownballer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:52 pm

I honestly don’t get the love for Vuc here - especially at max money. He doesn’t fit and his effectiveness will be reduced - a very bad combination.
I’m all about getting Al here and I’d love to them see them get Harris at the 3 and (if we get really lucky) Beverly as the fourth guard.

That team is not only playoff caliber but likely top four.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#44 » by KF10 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:18 pm

I have a feeling that despite Barnes opting out, the Kings are going to bring him back regardless.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#45 » by OGSactownballer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:38 pm

KF10 wrote:I have a feeling that despite Barnes opting out, the Kings are going to bring him back regardless.

Yeah if I’m being realistic I agree.

The organization (read: Ranadive and Vlade) have had a hard on for him for a while and they finally got him.

While I was fine with the trade last year and I felt that he was certainly an improvement at the position of need, I feel like there are better options out there this year with as much money as is needed and a guaranteed premier role on an up and coming young team.

It’s a very appealing situation for a guy who is signing his prime deal and likely has a young family too (remember that Sac area is a BIG attraction to the wives and kiddos).
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#46 » by KF10 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:17 am

OGSactownballer wrote:Yeah if I’m being realistic I agree.

The organization (read: Ranadive and Vlade) have had a hard on for him for a while and they finally got him.

While I was fine with the trade last year and I felt that he was certainly an improvement at the position of need, I feel like there are better options out there this year with as much money as is needed and a guaranteed premier role on an up and coming young team.

It’s a very appealing situation for a guy who is signing his prime deal and likely has a young family too (remember that Sac area is a BIG attraction to the wives and kiddos).

Yep.

If I was Vlade, I let Barnes walk. But realistically, he's gonna be back. The question is, what kind of contract Barnes will get?

3 years? 4 years?

$55m? $60m?

Oh god, or a $80m/4yr?? $100m/4y??

Is Barnes gonna be back as the starting SF? Please no. To me, he's a stop-gap for something better.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#47 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:33 am

Better what though. It was hard enough finding a true 3/4 and Barnes fit next to Buddy and Fox. I've been looking at almost every available possibility, the Kings have to do what it takes to bring him back. Replacing him with someone else even if they are slightly more talented won't matter if they can't be a better fit. Bringing back Barnes is essential and then with the rest of the space they can improve. Barnes plus someone will leave this team better off than no Barnes and someone.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#48 » by KF10 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:36 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:Better what though. It was hard enough finding a true 3/4 and Barnes fit next to Buddy and Fox. I've been looking at almost every available possibility, the Kings have to do what it takes to bring him back. Replacing him with someone else even if they are slightly more talented won't matter if they can't be a better fit. Bringing back Barnes is essential and then with the rest of the space they can improve. Barnes plus someone will leave this team better off than no Barnes and someone.

SF: Danny Green/Terrence Ross.

:dontknow:
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#49 » by SmellingColors » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:11 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:Better what though. It was hard enough finding a true 3/4 and Barnes fit next to Buddy and Fox. I've been looking at almost every available possibility, the Kings have to do what it takes to bring him back. Replacing him with someone else even if they are slightly more talented won't matter if they can't be a better fit. Bringing back Barnes is essential and then with the rest of the space they can improve. Barnes plus someone will leave this team better off than no Barnes and someone.

Agreed. I think Harris is the only improvement at that position in FA and I cannot see him signing here. I think you improve this roster through the starting C position and backup PG/SF spots. Other than that, you look at your Fox to take another leap in his 3rd year, Buddy to maintain his shooting and possibly improve consistency, and Bagley to take the sophomore leap Fox just had. Other than that, hopefully finding a backup PG that can facilitate the second unit will improve Bogi's play and perhaps we see Giles take another step as well. Not all of those things will most likely happen, but my point is that is where the focus should be rather than on moving on from Barnes.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#50 » by City of Trees » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:27 am

Has Harrison Barnes spoke publicly since opting out? An account I've never seen posted an alarming quote from Barnes but I question if it's true. The quote is Barnes basically saying he opted out because he fully expects a team to offer him the max
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#51 » by BoogieTime » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:33 am

With that burgerpatch (vegetarian burgers? sounds nasty) photo taken on the same day, I have to assume there is an understanding in place..

If there is will be interesting to see the number. IMO with his reputation, I can’t see anyone else forking over more than early mid teens, and the Kings would be bidding against themselves without letting him touch free agency with too large a contract
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#52 » by BoogieTime » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:35 am

City of Trees wrote:Has Harrison Barnes spoke publicly since opting out? An account I've never seen posted an alarming quote from Barnes but I question if it's true. The quote is Barnes basically saying he opted out because he fully expects a team to offer him the max

That would be on a random twitter search if true, I’m hoping
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#53 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:03 am

Dunno why everyone is so down on Barnes. He's exactly what you want at SF. Our top three guys are Fox/Bagley/Buddy. Barnes is a rather ideal fourth option. He's a two-way player, can defend most any wing in the league respectably, is a real threat from 3pt range, smart, the right kind of personality, and he's entering his prime. To me he strikes me as the kind of guy who will have his best seasons in his late-20s and early-30s. Whatever deal we sign him to, we are getting his best years.

Now as a practical consideration, who else would we get? KD and Kawhi? No one even brings them up because we know we ain't getting them. Harris? Not signing here. Middleton? Not signing here. That leaves Bojan Bogdanovic who is arguably not even as good as Barnes for us considering he is worse on defense. For him, I would think he just stays with Indy. For us, why needlessly shake things up for a lateral move?

Barnes is easily the best realistic option. We have other positions of need and ultimately if we are going to the playoffs its gonna be a bit of a carry job by the three guys I mentioned.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,504

Post#54 » by codydaze » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:07 pm

BoogieTime wrote:With that burgerpatch (vegetarian burgers? sounds nasty) photo taken on the same day, I have to assume there is an understanding in place..

If there is will be interesting to see the number. IMO with his reputation, I can’t see anyone else forking over more than early mid teens, and the Kings would be bidding against themselves without letting him touch free agency with too large a contract

I've had the burgers, had no idea it was a vegan place. Can confirm they are nasty.

I do feel like there's already an understanding that he'll be back, I just hope it's no more than 15-18 million a year.
OhioKingsFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#55 » by OhioKingsFan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:36 pm

Barnes isn't a max player, but I think he's a very good player, especially when he plays to his strengths. I think our team allows Barnes to do that: shoot 3s, defend, smart cuts to the hoop, etc.

The only SF FAs that I would rank above Barnes are Kawhi and Tobias Harris (I think KD will be a full time PF when he comes back from his injury). While Jimmy Butler is a better player, I admit that I think Barnes fits better with the other "core" players. I really hope we bring him back.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#56 » by enderwilson » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:37 pm

The market for SF isn't great right now and I can see us offering up to $20K to keep him around. But it's going to come down to the needs of other teams and how much money they're going to want to offer him. In addition to the $$$ I can imagine that Harrison is going to be considering where he wants to be. What franchise he's going to want to be in for the next 3-4 years. It will be telling to see if he stays cause to me that will be a signal that he's confident with the organization.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,504

Post#57 » by codydaze » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:01 pm

City of Trees wrote:Has Harrison Barnes spoke publicly since opting out? An account I've never seen posted an alarming quote from Barnes but I question if it's true. The quote is Barnes basically saying he opted out because he fully expects a team to offer him the max

I was scared about that for a second but it's from 'Real NBA Quotes' which is a meme account.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#58 » by City of Trees » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:02 pm

codydaze wrote:

I was scared about that for a second but it's from 'Real NBA Quotes' which is a meme account.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#59 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:24 pm

KF10 wrote:

SF: Danny Green/Terrence Ross.

:dontknow:

Those are more like 2/3's at best. Barnes is a legit 3/4. There were some potential options the draft but Vlade opted not to go that direction.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#60 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:26 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:Dunno why everyone is so down on Barnes. He's exactly what you want at SF. Our top three guys are Fox/Bagley/Buddy. Barnes is a rather ideal fourth option. He's a two-way player, can defend most any wing in the league respectably, is a real threat from 3pt range, smart, the right kind of personality, and he's entering his prime. To me he strikes me as the kind of guy who will have his best seasons in his late-20s and early-30s. Whatever deal we sign him to, we are getting his best years.

Now as a practical consideration, who else would we get? KD and Kawhi? No one even brings them up because we know we ain't getting them. Harris? Not signing here. Middleton? Not signing here. That leaves Bojan Bogdanovic who is arguably not even as good as Barnes for us considering he is worse on defense. For him, I would think he just stays with Indy. For us, why needlessly shake things up for a lateral move?

Barnes is easily the best realistic option. We have other positions of need and ultimately if we are going to the playoffs its gonna be a bit of a carry job by the three guys I mentioned.

Exactly. Barnes is able to impact a game for the Kings without demanding the ball. Adding someone like Bojan to Barnes is one thing. Maybe you could go small and blitz teams offensively. But trading one out for the other will leave this team less than they were. We've seen Bojan when his offensive role disappears and it's right back to mediocrity in terms of impact.

Return to Sacramento Kings