ImageImageImage

The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#621 » by PhillyPhilly » Thu Jun 6, 2019 12:33 pm

Former Australia national head coach talks about Ben HERE and shares his opinion about Ben shooting with the wrong hand.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#622 » by Tomjas » Thu Jun 6, 2019 11:15 pm

Simmons is training with Jimmy’s shooting coach according to Pompey
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#623 » by PhillyPhilly » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:59 am

Tomjas wrote:Simmons is training with Jimmy’s shooting coach according to Pompey

Yep, the same guy who took Jimmy's offensive game to the next level apparently. He also works with Jaylen Brown too. HERE is a good interview about how he works. Sounds like he's very blunt and will tell it like it is. Can't see him tolerating Ben's mechanics and form with the jumper he was displaying this season tbh. Gonna be interesting to see what he does with Ben now. No-doubt Jimmy is the one who put them together so this is positive news and at least Ben is working with someone other than his brother now.

I wonder if he works with Johnson until he leaves for the Australia camp? Or will he also see Magic and Dennis Scott this summer which was allegedly the plan?
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#624 » by PhilasFinest » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:57 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Tomjas wrote:Simmons is training with Jimmy’s shooting coach according to Pompey

Yep, the same guy who took Jimmy's offensive game to the next level apparently. He also works with Jaylen Brown too. HERE is a good interview about how he works. Sounds like he's very blunt and will tell it like it is. Can't see him tolerating Ben's mechanics and form with the jumper he was displaying this season tbh. Gonna be interesting to see what he does with Ben now. No-doubt Jimmy is the one who put them together so this is positive news and at least Ben is working with someone other than his brother now.

I wonder if he works with Johnson until he leaves for the Australia camp? Or will he also see Magic and Dennis Scott this summer which was allegedly the plan?

Interesting snip from his comments on working with Jerami Grant (when he was still in Philly, prior to trade)

SI:What have you been doing with Jerami Grant?

Johnson: He's been with me the whole summer. He's such a great athlete, he's so long, he's got the body potential to be a top player in this league. Our focus is not getting him in shape; he doesn't have to be in shape until September. We're coming to the gym and we may spend two hours every day on shooting.

SI: Right, if he can get a jumper that changes everything.

Johnson: So that's what we work on. And playing off the dribble versus playing as a dunker. We want him playing facing the basket. That enhances his stock as a player, and it helps him as a teammate. If J-Grant is knocking down the three at 35, 36% they'll be really good. And if he can beat you on one dribble, he's going to jump over everybody. But you can't get to that point if you don't have technique on your shot, because nobody's gonna close out on you.

That article is a really good read. Guy has worked with some good players who have really improved since this article was posted in 2016. Hopefully its the start to an improved, deadly Ben Simmons.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#625 » by PhillyPhilly » Fri Jun 7, 2019 4:11 am

PhilasFinest wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

Interesting snip from his comments on working with Jerami Grant (when he was still in Philly, prior to trade)

SI:What have you been doing with Jerami Grant?

Johnson: He's been with me the whole summer. He's such a great athlete, he's so long, he's got the body potential to be a top player in this league. Our focus is not getting him in shape; he doesn't have to be in shape until September. We're coming to the gym and we may spend two hours every day on shooting.

SI: Right, if he can get a jumper that changes everything.

Johnson: So that's what we work on. And playing off the dribble versus playing as a dunker. We want him playing facing the basket. That enhances his stock as a player, and it helps him as a teammate. If J-Grant is knocking down the three at 35, 36% they'll be really good. And if he can beat you on one dribble, he's going to jump over everybody. But you can't get to that point if you don't have technique on your shot, because nobody's gonna close out on you.

That article is a really good read. Guy has worked with some good players who have really improved since this article was posted in 2016. Hopefully its the start to an improved, deadly Ben Simmons.

Yeah Grant shot 39% from three last season!!!...he's improved dramatically in that department :o . We just have to hope and pray that Johnson can influence Ben to try different things. I firmly believe if he switches to shooting jumpers with his right hand he will be able to develop a decent jumper if he puts in the reps and effort. With the lefty jumpers they could be corrected with some adjustments and he did make a good few from 10-15 in his rookie season but I just think shooting everything mainly right handed and only shooting jumpers with your left just doesn't bode well moving forward. So I hope Johnson has seen this and seeks to address it. Because no respectable coach can see Ben's wonky form and him twisting the ball out with his palm on release and honestly say that that is the way forward. They just can't.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,735

Post#626 » by phillynative » Fri Jun 7, 2019 10:54 am

So how many people is he working with this summer exactly lol
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,712

Post#627 » by the_process » Sat Jun 8, 2019 3:53 am

phillynative wrote:So how many people is he working with this summer exactly lol

Too many.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant

Post#628 » by Tomjas » Sat Jun 8, 2019 8:18 am

the_process wrote:
phillynative wrote:So how many people is he working with this summer exactly lol

Too many.

Nobody knows

Last year, he wasn’t in the gym because he didn’t post selfies

This year, he’s got too many coaches
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,713

Post#629 » by AirP. » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:18 am

Tomjas wrote:
the_process wrote:

Too many.

Nobody knows

Last year, he wasn’t in the gym because he didn’t post selfies

This year, he’s got too many coaches

He was at the Rico Hines runs last year and taking outside shots, so he knows he has a jumper which is why it's odd he didn't take jumpers during the NBA season last year.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,786

Post#630 » by Negrodamus » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:44 am

Read on Twitter
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#631 » by logical_art » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:07 pm

From the outside it seems like a non-shooting drive and post up based parameter player (Simmons) and a dominant low post big (Embiid) are not a good pairing. Do you think there's any chance the Sixers trade Simmons if they can resign Butler?
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,464

Post#632 » by youngcrev » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:16 pm

logical_art wrote:From the outside it seems like a non-shooting drive and post up based parameter player (Simmons) and a dominant low post big (Embiid) are not a good pairing. Do you think there's any chance the Sixers trade Simmons if they can resign Butler?

Nope
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#633 » by logical_art » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:18 pm

youngcrev wrote:
logical_art wrote:From the outside it seems like a non-shooting drive and post up based parameter player (Simmons) and a dominant low post big (Embiid) are not a good pairing. Do you think there's any chance the Sixers trade Simmons if they can resign Butler?

Nope

Do you think Simmons and Embiid are a good fit together?
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,464

Post#634 » by youngcrev » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:36 pm

logical_art wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Nope

Do you think Simmons and Embiid are a good fit together?

I think until Ben starts shooting the ball, figuring out what to do with him in the halfcourt is an issue no matter who he is paired with. Obviously, he causes spacing issues for the team, and that's not optimal with a iso/post scoring center.

Aside from that (and I'm not trying to brush that off, because it is a big factor), I like the pairing. It's an amazing tandem on the defensive end. Elite rim protector paired with a guy that can switch 1-4 with ease? Yes, please. Ben gives you a guy that's a terror in transition and has no issue feeding the big man as much as he wants to eat. Jo can step out and spread the floor during the possessions you want to have Ben post up.

Ben just being able to hit a spot up corner 3 would do wonders for the synergy of the pairing.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,846

Post#635 » by Ben » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:02 am

Honest question from one who's been following the Sixers for years but who hasn't kept up on any of the Ben Simmons conversation on this board. I know that there are strong feelings pro and con, and haven't felt the need or had the time to participate. The following question may well have been addressed many times, but I wouldn't know it.

So here's my question. What's your assessment of Simmons making Giannis-type progress?

I've seen all of Ben's offensive limitations on display, just like the rest of you. I know that he has to improve his jump-shooting, his 3P shot, and his confidence shooting overall. But I notice that he compares favorably with Giannis at the same age (22), which represents 4 seasons for Giannis and only 2 for Simmons. Simmons is better at almost everything except blocks, free throws (similar in # taken per 36, but much worse % for Ben), and 3P shooting. But of course Giannis wasn't (and still isn't) good at 3P shooting; he's just better than Ben, who won't take that shot at all. And if you roll back the comparison so that it's 3 seasons for Giannis and 2 for Simmons, Ben compares even more favorably.

Given that many of us are bummed by Ben's lack of offensive aggressiveness, it's especially interesting that he even compares favorably to Giannis (at a similar career stage) in terms of FGA/36.

SO: is there a special reason why Ben couldn't be expected to make the same kind of increase in offensive aggression and desire to dominate that Giannis gradually made? Is it something in his character? I know that his detractors here say that he just has no desire to work on that part of his game (as well as his ability to shoot). Curious to hear from a bunch of you.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,112

Post#636 » by eyeatoma » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:36 am

Ben wrote:Honest question from one who's been following the Sixers for years but who hasn't kept up on any of the Ben Simmons conversation on this board. I know that there are strong feelings pro and con, and haven't felt the need or had the time to participate. The following question may well have been addressed many times, but I wouldn't know it.

So here's my question. What's your assessment of Simmons making Giannis-type progress?

I've seen all of Ben's offensive limitations on display, just like the rest of you. I know that he has to improve his jump-shooting, his 3P shot, and his confidence shooting overall. But I notice that he compares favorably with Giannis at the same age (22), which represents 4 seasons for Giannis and only 2 for Simmons. Simmons is better at almost everything except blocks, free throws (similar in # taken per 36, but much worse % for Ben), and 3P shooting. But of course Giannis wasn't (and still isn't) good at 3P shooting; he's just better than Ben, who won't take that shot at all. And if you roll back the comparison so that it's 3 seasons for Giannis and 2 for Simmons, Ben compares even more favorably.

Given that many of us are bummed by Ben's lack of offensive aggressiveness, it's especially interesting that he even compares favorably to Giannis (at a similar career stage) in terms of FGA/36.

SO: is there a special reason why Ben couldn't be expected to make the same kind of increase in offensive aggression and desire to dominate that Giannis gradually made? Is it something in his character? I know that his detractors here say that he just has no desire to work on that part of his game (as well as his ability to shoot). Curious to hear from a bunch of you.

His lack of initiative in trying to working on it at all costs over the summer reeks of stubborness. He has his brother helping him, instead of actual trainers, and actually regressed last year on his jumper than improve it. Everything he has said in the media, and has shown on court is a clear unwillingness to seriously improve this part of his game. Yes, he practices 3's and free throws, but with not much success. He has horrible mechanics. It boggles the mind, that his mentor (LeBron) hasn't conveyed the importance of the jumper to his game.

I believe he should have switched hands his red shirt year. Now it's too late, and maybe he did try to work on his jumper, but shooting with the wrong hand will always cause too much variance. If I don't see significant improvement this year, I think his jumper is a lost cause.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Post#637 » by TheBallsDeeper » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:52 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Ben wrote:Honest question from one who's been following the Sixers for years but who hasn't kept up on any of the Ben Simmons conversation on this board. I know that there are strong feelings pro and con, and haven't felt the need or had the time to participate. The following question may well have been addressed many times, but I wouldn't know it.

His lack of initiative in trying to working on it at all costs over the summer reeks of stubborness. He has his brother helping him, instead of actual trainers, and actually regressed last year on his jumper than improve it. Everything he has said in the media, and has shown on court is a clear unwillingness to seriously improve this part of his game. Yes, he practices 3's and free throws, but with not much success. He has horrible mechanics. It boggles the mind, that his mentor (LeBron) hasn't conveyed the importance of the jumper to his game.

I believe he should have switched hands his red shirt year. Now it's too late, and maybe he did try to work on his jumper, but shooting with the wrong hand will always cause too much variance. If I don't see significant improvement this year, I think his jumper is a lost cause.

I agree with everything except it being too late to change hands.

He can not get worse at this stage, so shooting with the correct hand must be a better option. He can already shoot right handed, and has done in a few games. It already looks much more natural, so a few months of shooting hundreds of shots per day and he would be a much better player.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant

Post#638 » by Tomjas » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:54 am

Lol at people still claiming that he´s working exclusively with his brother
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,112

Post#639 » by eyeatoma » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:13 am

Lol if you think he's going to improve this summer after committing to the Australian national team.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#640 » by PhillyPhilly » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:26 am

Ben has been working with respected nba trainer Chris Johnson for several weeks In LA. A guy who also works with Jimmy Butler. We just have to hope and pray he gets Ben to shoot with his right hand and put In a ton of reps.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers