ImageImageImage

Welcome Ty Jerome!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,444

Re: Welcome Ty Jerome! 

Post#21 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:09 am

I know that everyone thinks that the Nash comparisons are unfair and ridiculous, but in comparing their college stats, I found them to actually be fairly similar. With a few minor exceptions, Which is encouraging I think.

Steve Nash-
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/steve-nash-1.html .

- 14.9 points/ 3.1 rebounds/ 4.5 assists. FG% 43/ 2p% 46/ 3 point % 40/ Free Throw % 86.

Ty Jerome-
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ty-jerome-1.html .

-13.6 points/ 4.2 rebounds/ 5.5 assists. FG% 43/ 2p% 47/ 3 point% 39/ Free throw % 78.

Now of course, Nobody was quite as good as Nash was for us, but in fairness, I can personally see some similarities in their shooting, passing, poise, competitiveness, and really high basketball IQs'.

I'm really excited to see the impact that he'll have on our team by his 2nd or third year in the league. Once he's fully adjusted to everything.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,691

Post#22 » by sunsbum » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:23 am

sunsbg wrote:Clearly the best play-maker on the team right now, which is not saying much unfortunately.

He's a better playmaker than most PGs already
Flex is now your father.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#23 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:24 pm

It's alright to be really optimistic about this kid! :wink:
Read on Twitter
?s=09
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#24 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:33 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:I know that everyone thinks that the Nash comparisons are unfair and ridiculous, but in comparing their college stats, I found them to actually be fairly similar. With a few minor exceptions, Which is encouraging I think.

Steve Nash-

- 14.9 points/ 3.1 rebounds/ 4.5 assists. FG% 43/ 2p% 46/ 3 point % 40/ Free Throw % 86.

Ty Jerome-

-13.6 points/ 4.2 rebounds/ 5.5 assists. FG% 43/ 2p% 47/ 3 point% 39/ Free throw % 78.

Now of course, Nobody was quite as good as Nash was for us, but in fairness, I can personally see some similarities in their shooting, passing, poise, competitiveness, and really high basketball IQs'.

I'm really excited to see the impact that he'll have on our team by his 2nd or third year in the league. Once he's fully adjusted to everything.

The natural comp for every white(ish) playmaker that is ultra nonathletic *CAN'T* always be Steve"2x MVP" Nash. I hate seeing these comps
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#25 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:35 pm

sunsbg wrote:Clearly the best play-maker on the team right now, which is not saying much unfortunately.

sunsbg wrote:Reminds me a bit of Doncic's craftiness and ability to go to any place on the court he likes despite not being the fastest or most athletic guy on the floor. Appears a better playmaker than Johnson already.

He's got good passing but is he athletic enough to create or is his value as a 2nd/3rd touch type of playmaker? In which case Johnson probably fills that role just as good if not better
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#26 » by TASTIC » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:59 am

I can't see any other comp except Greivis, unfortunately.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing, he had a good long career mainly as a back-up, but a couple of seasons starting. Averaged 9-3-5 with a 3 per game over an 8 year career - if we get that from the 24th pick in a (seemingly) weak draft, I'm fine with that.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#27 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:11 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:I know that everyone thinks that the Nash comparisons are unfair and ridiculous, but in comparing their college stats, I found them to actually be fairly similar. With a few minor exceptions, Which is encouraging I think.

Steve Nash-

Ty Jerome-

The natural comp for every white(ish) playmaker that is ultra nonathletic *CAN'T* always be Steve"2x MVP" Nash. I hate seeing these comps

I just chose that due to his advanced passing, court vision and high basketball IQ too. Nothing to do with his athleticism or ethnic background honestly man.....lol.....He just reminds me of Nash in his abilities and statistical similarities is all. :wink: just give it some time, and we'll see how close he gets to that particular comparison k. Also, unfair pressure or not, I personally like that comparison. :D
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#28 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:20 am

There could be a host of other better comparisons. Greivis Vasquez, Steve Blake...Satoransky.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,016

Post#29 » by sunsbg » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:17 am

lilfishi22 wrote:

sunsbg wrote:Reminds me a bit of Doncic's craftiness and ability to go to any place on the court he likes despite not being the fastest or most athletic guy on the floor. Appears a better playmaker than Johnson already.

He's got good passing but is he athletic enough to create or is his value as a 2nd/3rd touch type of playmaker? In which case Johnson probably fills that role just as good if not better

Just looks like a smart guy that will make a good use of screens, speed change and height advantage on most PGs. I see a better potential on O than Johnson, who is more of a combo guard. No idea how good/bad Ty will be on D though.
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,080

Post#30 » by oddity » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:18 am

Ty really does remind me of Vasquez, but I think he could develop into a better shooter than Vasquez ever was. And remember NO Hornets Vasquez? He was ballin out back then
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
sunsbum
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by sunsbum » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:13 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

Steve Nash-

Ty Jerome-

I just chose that due to his advanced passing, court vision and high basketball IQ too. Nothing to do with his athleticism or ethnic background honestly man.....lol.....He just reminds me of Nash in his abilities and statistical similarities is all. :wink: just give it some time, and we'll see how close he gets to that particular comparison k. Also, unfair pressure or not, I personally like that comparison. :D

I also felt this way about steph curry coming out of college. I know I bring his name up alot latey but Rudy Fernandez had this kind of passing and playmaking as well. We'lll see, maybe hes just another nick stauskas who I really liked as well at one point.
Flex is now your father.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach

Post#32 » by sunsbum » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:14 am

lilfishi22 wrote:There could be a host of other better comparisons. Greivis Vasquez, Steve Blake...Satoransky.

Doesn't remind me of blake at all other than the fact that they are white PG's.
Flex is now your father.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#33 » by Fo-Real » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:58 pm

TASTIC wrote:I can't see any other comp except Greivis, unfortunately.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing, he had a good long career mainly as a back-up, but a couple of seasons starting. Averaged 9-3-5 with a 3 per game over an 8 year career - if we get that from the 24th pick in a (seemingly) weak draft, I'm fine with that.

Satoransky but a better floor general?
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#34 » by TASTIC » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:14 pm

Fo-Real wrote:
TASTIC wrote:I can't see any other comp except Greivis, unfortunately.

Satoransky but a better floor general?

Here's hoping!

Sato's so underrated. Beal kept the Wiz close to .500 obviously but Sato was awesome as a starter.

Nothing too earth-shattering but he can throw it down...Which I don't think Jerome can really do.

Would love Satoranksy here for the right price, he's already use to playing alongside a ball dominant SG so the transition would be easy. Suspect the Wiz match anything reasonable for him anyway, much like Delon Wright with Memphis.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by sunsbum » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:30 pm

Not a quality I care about in a PG.
Flex is now your father.
sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,449

Post#36 » by sasquatchBob » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:54 pm

Is Jerome quick or athletic enough to drive to the basket at NBA level? His passing becomes less effective if he can't get to basket on his own.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#37 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:32 pm

sasquatchBob wrote:Is Jerome quick or athletic enough to drive to the basket at NBA level? His passing becomes less effective if he can't get to basket on his own.

I don't think he's a lead guard in the NBA. I think his passing will likely not be a big factor as a lead ball handler because I don't think he will be able to consistently create on his own at the NBA level. So his value will likely be as a secondary or third passer after the lead guard (Booker/FA PG) has scrambled the defense. I have more confidence he'll be able to make the right decision (shoot or make the right pass) once he receives the pass. But I think his ceiling is a fringe primary ball handler in the 2nd unit
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#38 » by darealjuice » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:44 pm

He’s probably not creating his own offense against NBA guards, but he doesn’t need to when the league is so pick and roll heavy. Teams should respect his 3-point shot and go over screens, so he’ll be able to find ways to get into the paint in those situations even if he’s not breaking people down 1 on 1. It’s not likely we drafted him to be our go-to guy late in the shot clock or anything.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#39 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:21 pm

sasquatchBob wrote:Is Jerome quick or athletic enough to drive to the basket at NBA level? His passing becomes less effective if he can't get to basket on his own.

I think so. He is every bit as athletic as Nash was. Steph Curry, Harden, Nash, Lillard, none of those guys tested very well athletically coming out either. But they can pass and shoot and when you can do that the floor opens up.

Point guards need to be able to have ahandle, pass, shoot and play D. They have to be able to do at least three of the four.

Rubio--handle, D, pass.
Nash--pass, shoot, handle.
Lillard--shoot, handle, pass

Pg's who fail usually can only do one or two. Kendall Marshall--dribble, pass.
Melton--D, handle.
Okobo--handle, shoot.
Bledsoe--handle, score (but not shooting), D.

Jerome--handle, pass, shoot. I am cautiously optimistic.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,054

Post#40 » by Crives » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:25 pm

Offensively Jerome looks special.

Defense is what scares me. Good thing is he has decent size. Ideally he defends a pure 3 and D SG/SF on defense, while Bridges covers the lead guard.

Return to Phoenix Suns