ImageImageImage

Why is this happening?

Moderator: ijspeelman

Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Why is this happening? 

Post#1 » by Richfield » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:50 pm

First the strange tweet before the 5th pick. Now this...

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254369/Cavaliers-Preferred-DeAndre-Hunter-Over-Darius-Garland

Cavaliers Preferred De'Andre Hunter Over Darius Garland
JUN 21, 2019 2:18 PM

The Cleveland Cavaliers preferred to take De'Andre Hunter over Darius Garland in the draft, league sources tell Joe Vardon of The Athletic.

The New Orleans Pelicans traded out of No. 4 to the Atlanta Hawks, who selected Hunter and left Cleveland with Garland at No. 5.

The Cavaliers selected another point guard last year in the lottery as well in Collin Sexton.

JOE VARDON/THE ATHLETIC

Chasing talent out of town already? Advertising for trade? Or just plain sloppy?
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Re: Why is this happening? 

Post#2 » by gflem » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:27 pm

Fake news? Click bait? Someone pushing their own agenda?
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#3 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:42 pm

yeah um the common belief is Cavs were high on Hunter which gives justification for Atlanta to trade away 8 and 17 to move up to get their guy but I think to some extent Cavs were blowing smoke about wanting Hunter knowing ATL had the best package to offer the Pels eliminating teams who wanted Garland from the bidding war leaving Darius there at 5.
I think cavs board was always RJ/Garland after Zion/Ja
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#4 » by Richfield » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:52 pm

gflem wrote:Fake news? Click bait? Someone pushing their own agenda?

This is the one about which I am curious.

Possibilities may include:

•Another team’s FO making Cavs pay a price for not making some deal they talked about.

•Cavs FO individual thinks they could have gotten it done where as Altman did not. Wants to be next in line.

•Cavs FO still wants to deal for Hunter. (Love?)

•Joe Vardon needs something to write, and is using previous day conversations. Pandering to the haters.

•Cavs FO building in an excuse to sell fans if/when Hunter hits and if/when Garland does not.

•Other possibilities

Right now putting this out doesn't seem like a constructive or fruitful topic to write a story about, unless its the “call us if you want Love” option. Considering the numerous other possibilities, feels like a non-constructive possibility is most likely. If the latter, i just hope its not coming from the Cavs the day after we took Garland. Not a good sign.
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Post#5 » by substancej » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:02 pm

Altman and Beilein seemed pretty convincing that Garland killed it at the Cavs' workout. I think they are more sold on Garland than they are with Sexton.
Kevin Love finna get traded
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,141

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:15 pm

The fact that the Cavs wanted Hunter isn't a secret. He broke that news on the radio before the draft AND before the Hawks traded up.

As to why Vardon wrote the article after the draft, it's because he's a clickbait ****. The Cavs F.O. needs to stop talking to him. He pulls crap like this all the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,066

Post#7 » by tidho » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:59 pm

If Garland is that this skinned we probably won't miss him

he was picked 5th, there's a realistic chance that nearly every team in the league liked 3 or 4 guys more than him

he'll be fine

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers