ImageImageImage

2019 NBA Draft 2.0 - I can be your Herro baby

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,122

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 2.0 - I can be your Herro baby 

Post#1021 » by GopherIt! » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:03 pm

Dr_Heat wrote:Damm people give these kids a chance, they haven’t even play a single NBA minute yet. When and if this Hero kid starts shooting lights out , we ain’t going to care about his wingspan or what grocerie store he goes to

in this pic he looks like one of those gluten free skinny cow whole food punchable face hipster types doc but my hunch is he’s actually a publix kinda guy.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,027

Post#1022 » by twix2500 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:13 pm

dean456 wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
Kennard's defense is better than Bookers'...Why do you want Herro to be a bust so badly?

Did bust ever come out my mouth. You are just making bad arguments. Debating if his arms are 6'3" vs 6'4" is silly. Debating if his defense will be Eddie House or Kennard or Booker or Ellington is silly.

You dont have to directly say bust but when you do say our 13th pick is going to be Jason Kapono, we can read between the lines Twix.

I was comparing former Heat shooters who had similar body deminsions. I was also having a little fun with it. The question that many have with Herro were similar questions about Kapono coming to the league. Length, defense, ball handling ability to score in the paint over players his height. No one gonna be exactly the same. The difference is Kapono took terrible care of his body. The one year he did work on his body is with the Heat. He shot 51% from 3 and won three 3pt contest. He was a better college player than Herro. And which I was wrong, he is 6'8 with a 6'6 winsgspan compared to Herro 6'6 with a 6'3 wingspan.

I see a lot of you calling him a ball handler and now a combo guard. Which is what you would call Donavan Mitchell and Terry Rozier. I hope he shows that ability. Kentucky didnt use him that way. He was primarily an off the ball player. He got the ball off of screens and curls, would put the ball on the floor off these screens to try and beat his man, he would reset if he couldnt. He was more successful coming off curls to get separation. He shot better from the corner. He wasn't a very good passer.

Can he become a good ball handler and passer, sure. I don't think he is physically incapable. I am concern about his quickness, but that can be overcome by smarts using angles and screens. But to think he can "one on one" like Mitchell, I find that hard to believe. The tapes I have watched he didn't bring the ball up. I am assuming the Heat will test his handles in a week from now. Heat tend to have bad PG play in the summer league.

He has a beautiful stroke. So I see a lot of potential to be a shooter. So what I will do is review some Booker Kentucky tapes to Herro's.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Dr_Heat
RealGM
And1: 96,866

Post#1023 » by Dr_Heat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:19 pm

Maroko wrote:
Dr_Heat wrote:Herro will win the 2020 NBA All-Star Game 3 Point Contest, i’m calling it now :rock:

Thanks buddy , you are the best. Someone make this guy a MOD of the Heat board
Dr_Heat wrote: Oof
Maroko
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,432

Post#1024 » by Maroko » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:43 pm

Dr_Heat wrote:
Maroko wrote:
Dr_Heat wrote:Herro will win the 2020 NBA All-Star Game 3 Point Contest, i’m calling it now :rock:

Spoiler:

Thanks buddy , you are the best. Someone make this guy a MOD of the Heat board

You welcome bro and i am good with being a simple member of that family

new version

Spoiler:

dean456
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,252

Post#1025 » by dean456 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:55 pm

twix2500 wrote:
dean456 wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
Did bust ever come out my mouth. You are just making bad arguments. Debating if his arms are 6'3" vs 6'4" is silly. Debating if his defense will be Eddie House or Kennard or Booker or Ellington is silly.

You dont have to directly say bust but when you do say our 13th pick is going to be Jason Kapono, we can read between the lines Twix.

I was comparing former Heat shooters who had similar body deminsions. I was also having a little fun with it. The question that many have with Herro were similar questions about Kapono coming to the league. Length, defense, ball handling ability to score in the paint over players his height. No one gonna be exactly the same. The difference is Kapono took terrible care of his body. The one year he did work on his body is with the Heat. He shot 51% from 3 and won three 3pt contest. He was a better college player than Herro. And which I was wrong, he is 6'8 with a 6'6 winsgspan compared to Herro 6'6 with a 6'3 wingspan.

I see a lot of you calling him a ball handler and now a combo guard. Which is what you would call Donavan Mitchell and Terry Rozier. I hope he shows that ability. Kentucky didnt use him that way. He was primarily an off the ball player. He got the ball off of screens and curls, would put the ball on the floor off these screens to try and beat his man, he would reset if he couldnt. He was more successful coming off curls to get separation. He shot better from the corner. He wasn't a very good passer.

Can he become a good ball handler and passer, sure. I don't think he is physically incapable. I am concern about his quickness, but that can be overcome by smarts using angles and screens. But to think he can "one on one" like Mitchell, I find that hard to believe. The tapes I have watched he didn't bring the ball up. I am assuming the Heat will test his handles in a week from now. Heat tend to have bad PG play in the summer league.

He has a beautiful stroke. So I see a lot of potential to be a shooter. So what I will do is review some Booker Kentucky tapes to Herro's.

You don't see it much in Kentucky because they make their players play a role there and don't play much hero ball. But if you look at his games prior to college you can see that he has an ability to play make and handle the ball effectively. I realize that its high school and its different to the pro's but it at least shows that he has the skills and IQ to do different things it's just a matter of him being able to apply that on an NBA level. It might take him a while to adjust to the NBA game and be given the chance by our coaches to take on that responsibility but I believe he can do it.
DrHeat
Junior
And1: 617

Post#1026 » by DrHeat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:37 pm

Kentucky runs their program to win basketball games not to maximize the players draft stock.. If you want to show everything you got and take 20 shoots a game you go to USC (like KPJ) and OJ mayo etc.. Many players did not showed the versatility at Kentucky.. Even KAT was not allow to shoot much from 3PT... Devin Booker averaged 21 min a game from the beach and 9PTs/ 2 RBs and 1 assist (less steals than Herro) ... The fact that Herro was on the floor for 32 minutes and games and in the last 10 games > 36 minutes tells you a lot about what Calapari thinks of his game
DrHeat
Junior
And1: 617

Post#1027 » by DrHeat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:42 pm

Has anybody seen this article from the Undefeated... Damn this kid has a 4.4 GPA!! I guess being smart can only help..

KZ Okpala could make rare decision to leave Stanford early for NBA
The projected first-round pick is getting the ‘best of both worlds’ in college

BY MARC J. SPEARS
@MARCJSPEARSESPN

STANFORD, Calif. — Stanford University’s athletics department takes pride in its motto: “Stanford … not a four-year decision. But a lifetime decision.” But for Stanford sophomore forward KZ Okpala, it could be the rare two-year decision on his way to the NBA.

Okpala said his Nigerian immigrant parents were ecstatic their son was attending Stanford, primarily for the education. But the 6-foot-9-inch forward is also pursuing his NBA dream.

“It’s the best of both worlds coming into Stanford,” Okpala told The Undefeated. “I love playing at a high level, but my parents love academics. Just to please them, and I love school, but I still wanted to play at a high level. It’s the Pac-12 and in the West Coast where I come from.”

Okpala committed to Stanford before his senior year of high school after growing to 6 feet, 8 inches from his freshman height of 5 feet, 10 inches. He had a 4.4 GPA at Anaheim Esperanza High, according to the Los Angeles Times, and led Esperanza to its first California Interscholastic Federation Division II title (and also a win over Duke star Zion Williamson’s high school team). ESPN ranked him the 42nd-best player in the Class of 2017.

Now a college sophomore, Okpala has excelled in basketball while managing the academic challenge during his two years at Stanford. He is averaging a team-high 18 points as well as 5.8 rebounds and two assists per game this season. He is also shooting 36.9 percent from the 3-point line and was named a finalist for the Julius Erving Small Forward of the Year Award.

But soon Okpala will have to decide if it’s time to put his education on hold. The 19-year-old is a projected first-round pick in this year’s NBA draft.

Only two Stanford players have left for the NBA before their junior seasons: the 7-foot twin brothers Brook and Robin Lopez, who were the 10th and 15th picks overall, respectively, in the 2010 draft after each playing two seasons for the Cardinal.

NBA scouts told The Undefeated that they expect Okpala to be a top-20 pick.

“He’s a really good player who can be really good in the future,” one NBA scout said. “He has all the measurables: height, wingspan, athleticism. He can shoot, pass and dribble. He can defend multiple positions, whether it’s a point guard or a forward. Once he gets his shot ready out to 3, he is more valuable on this level.”

Said another NBA scout: “He will be an NBA starter or key reserve one day if he keeps working.”

Another NBA scout saw Okpala as a late first- or early second-round prospect but thought he should return for his junior season.

“He has positional height and length and has the look of an NBA player,” the scout said. “He needs to develop his game to go with his look. Someone may take a flier on him because of his height and length. He’s not an amazing athlete, but he’s 6-9, can play small forward and is very long.”

Okpala credits his offseason workouts for his success this season after averaging 10 points per game as a freshman.

“I made a commitment to myself around this time last year that I was going to go all-in and put my eggs in one basket,” Okpala said. “Every day working out three times a day. Eating right. Lifting weights. Doing all the little things. Getting sleep. Drinking water. All the little things.

“I didn’t think I put in a lot of attention my freshman year, and I still got a little bit of attention. I was like, ‘What if I really go all-in here?’ ”

Stanford has produced 30 NBA players, including four current players: Milwaukee Bucks center Brook Lopez, Chicago Bulls center Robin Lopez, Dallas Mavericks forward Dwight Powell and Washington Wizards guard Chasson Randle.

Former NBA guard Brevin Knight, who played four years at Stanford, believes no Stanford player should depart early unless he is a projected top-10 pick or his family is in financial need. (Okpala’s family wouldn’t fit that mold, as his father is an engineer and his mother is a lawyer, a source said.)

“If you’re able to get into Stanford, academics was important to you or a necessary evil to an end,” Knight said. “A lot of kids who get a chance to go there, basketball is a love of yours but you have something else going. The NBA is something that is attainable from Stanford. But what if you get your degree at Stanford and go to the NBA? It’s the best of both worlds: You can play with the best players in the world and be amongst the movers and shakers of the world.

“I went to Stanford to make connections. I didn’t go there to make the NBA. It just so happened I ended up making it to the NBA.”

Okpala said the NBA has been a dream of his since he was 7 years old. If he tests the waters by entering June’s NBA draft, an NBA scout said he would very likely get an invitation to the pre-draft camp in May in Chicago, where he could interview and work out for teams. How Okpala fares in the pre-draft camp could ultimately influence his decision to return to Stanford or not.

A source close to Okpala said he is currently undecided but the source wouldn’t be surprised if Okpala ultimately enters the draft and keeps his name in it. Okpala, however, is focusing on finishing the season strong.

“Whatever happens after the season with whatever I decide, I don’t think about it right now. Right now, I am just focusing on my teammates,” Okpala said.

Okpala is holding out hope that the Cardinal (15-15) can win the Pac-12 tournament to earn an NCAA tournament bid. Stanford plays in the first round of the Pac-12 tournament against UCLA on Wednesday.

“There has never been a game where you’re like, ‘Oh, we are about to get smacked,’ ” Okpala said of dealing with losing this season. “That’s one thing. Every game I know there is a chance. I know there is a good chance.”

The odds might be stacked against Stanford making it to the Big Dance, but don’t bet against Okpala’s future.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#1028 » by twix2500 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:14 pm

If he could become a bigger Rex Chapman, I would be happy.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,368

Post#1029 » by RexBoyWonder » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:15 pm

twix2500 wrote:

Thank you.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
twix2500
RealGM

Post#1030 » by twix2500 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:21 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:
twix2500 wrote:

Thank you.

I was hesitant to compare him to Chapman, because he was a hellava college player and had hops. But since many want a pro comparison. When he was with the Heat, after he lost much of his hops, I think it is more of a fair comparison.

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,008

Post#1031 » by DayofMourning » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:23 pm

KZ's definitely got some genetics working in his favor. Smart kid. Good length.

His skill set needs some polish, but he's already got a solid foundation. This kid really feels like a Heat special. With all their time spent developing prospects, this one could be the one that really shows out.
rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,181

Post#1032 » by rate_ » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:07 pm

Tyler Herro Kentucky playtype

Kezie Okpala (sophomore) Stanford playtype
Spacely
Analyst
And1: 6,155

Post#1033 » by Spacely » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:31 pm

rate_ wrote:Tyler Herro Kentucky playtype

Kezie Okpala (sophomore) Stanford playtype

Been waiting for these forever thanks bro
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1034 » by DayofMourning » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:59 pm

I like this highlight video for KZ as it shows the diversity in his offensive game. It shows he is able to get around the trees due to his length. Handles the ball a lot. Moves the ball to the open man quickly. Got that three point range from the corners.
Kobewade11
Head Coach
And1: 15,588

Post#1035 » by Kobewade11 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:11 pm

louis king signs 2 way contract with detroit. now we can stop pretending to be worried about why nobody picked him up.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1036 » by DayofMourning » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:24 pm

kobewade11 wrote:louis king signs 2 way contract with detroit. now we can stop pretending to be worried about why nobody picked him up.

Heard it was because he was passing gas in his interviews. Must be an Oregon thing.
Spacely
Analyst
And1: 6,155

Post#1037 » by Spacely » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:46 pm

DayofMourning wrote:

I like this highlight video for KZ as it shows the diversity in his offensive game. It shows he is able to get around the trees due to his length. Handles the ball a lot. Moves the ball to the open man quickly. Got that three point range from the corners.

Once he gains more strength he’s gonna be amazing in the paint, in the stats it says his isolation game is average but from eye check I don’t really see that. Is it because he isn’t use to his body and uses his length a lot more than he should? I do see a lot of leaning/off balance shots when he gets past his defender in isolation situations. Feel he will definitely improve on that once he grows into his body and gets more familiar with it.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#1038 » by twix2500 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:54 pm

Spacely wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

Once he gains more strength he’s gonna be amazing in the paint, in the stats it says his isolation game is average but from eye check I don’t really see that. Is it because he isn’t use to his body and uses his length a lot more than he should? I do see a lot of leaning/off balance shots when he gets past his defender in isolation situations. Feel he will definitely improve on that once he grows into his body and gets more familiar with it.
I think it because he gets himself in too tough of situations at times. I seen him try to take it up under the rim on 3 people and get blocked becuase it was simply no space. Likely do to his decision making. He got some Waiteritis in him

Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,191

Post#1039 » by Bishop45 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:59 pm

I'd call it Richitis, my mans Waiters will make the dish more than not.

Pala does have some gaffes on both ends of the court. Question his bball IQ more than Herro's(Since they'll forever be linked together from Thurs. onward)

Kezie's tools for a 4 are nice, just needs to be reprogrammed to our drive-n-kick
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
twix2500
RealGM

Post#1040 » by twix2500 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:11 pm

Bishop45 wrote:I'd call it Richitis, my mans Waiters will make the dish more than not.

Pala does have some gaffes on both ends of the court. Question his bball IQ more than Herro's(Since they'll forever be linked together from Thurs. onward)

Kezie's tools for a 4 are nice, just needs to be reprogrammed to our drive-n-kick
Naww Rich will flat out trip on his face with no one around

Return to Miami Heat