ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the MLB

Moderator: JaysRule15

BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Re: Around the MLB 2019 

Post#181 » by BigLeagueChew » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:36 am

Hoopstarr wrote:Had no idea he was leading in HRs. He's at 401 career now!

26 away from the top 50 all time.
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,182

Post#182 » by Hoopstarr » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:07 am

BigLeagueChew wrote:
Hoopstarr wrote:Had no idea he was leading in HRs. He's at 401 career now!

26 away from the top 50 all time.

It's incredible. And to think people thought of him as a throw-in in the Rolen trade.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,049

Post#183 » by Schad » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:43 am

Hoopstarr wrote:It's incredible. And to think people thought of him as a throw-in in the Rolen trade.

Less than a throw-in, even; my understanding is that he was in that trade largely as salary ballast. After 2010, we then waived him, and he was a member of the Oakland A's for a couple weeks in the offseason before they non-tendered him, and we re-signed him as free agent to a cheap deal.
**** your asterisk.
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,182

Post#184 » by Hoopstarr » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:31 am

Schad wrote:
Hoopstarr wrote:It's incredible. And to think people thought of him as a throw-in in the Rolen trade.

Less than a throw-in, even; my understanding is that he was in that trade largely as salary ballast. After 2010, we then waived him, and he was a member of the Oakland A's for a couple weeks in the offseason before they non-tendered him, and we re-signed him as free agent to a cheap deal.

The original target was Yonder Alonso, who was a top 50 prospect. It ended up being Zach Stewart (who still became our top prospect) and Josh Roenicke, with "E5" as salary ballast and someone to throw at 3B to replace Rolen.
Black Watch
Bench Warmer
And1: 762

Post#185 » by Black Watch » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:21 am

The Padres and Rockies set a modern-era record by combining for 92 runs in their four-game series (Rockies won 9-6, Padres won 16-12, Rockies won 14-8, Padres won 14-13). Colorado's Charlie Blackmon also became the first player since 1900 with 15 hits in a four-game series.
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.
Black Watch
Bench Warmer

Post#186 » by Black Watch » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:31 am

Ticket marketplace SeatGeek surveyed 8,000 MLB fans about their local ballpark's atmosphere, food and bathrooms, then ranked them based on the results. Jays turned up in the bottom 5 in both atmosphere and food.

Atmosphere

Top 5: PNC Park (Pirates), Petco Park (Padres), Oracle Park (Giants), Citizens Bank Park (Phillies), Busch Stadium (Cardinals)

Bottom 5: RingCentral Coliseum (Athletics), Tropicana Field (Rays), Rogers Centre (Blue Jays), Chase Field (Diamondbacks), Guaranteed Rate Field (White Sox)

Food

Top 5: Guaranteed Rate Field (White Sox), Citizens Bank Park (Phillies), Petco Park (Padres), Citi Field (Mets), Oracle Park (Giants)

Bottom 5: Rogers Centre (Blue Jays), Tropicana Field (Rays), RingCentral Coliseum (Athletics), Great American Ball Park (Reds), Kauffman Stadium (Royals)
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.
Black Watch
Bench Warmer

Post#187 » by Black Watch » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:06 pm

Talk about random: Max Scherzer suffered a broken nose after taking a ball off the face while practicing bunts in batting practice.
Black Watch
Bench Warmer

Post#188 » by Black Watch » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:09 pm

Man, whoever has Charlie Blackmon on their fantasy team must be running away with the title. During his current eight-game hitting streak, Blackmon is hitting .571/.571/1.167 with 6 HR and 15 RBI, raising his average from .295 to .341. He's also just the sixth player in the past 50 years with 3+ hits in five straight games.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#189 » by BigLeagueChew » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:48 pm

Read on Twitter

The anti Biggio. With min 100 PAs,the turtle leads the league in swing percentage while only striking 5 times, was recently recalled by the Twins.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Post#190 » by dagger » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:16 pm

This is going to hurt the Athletics
Read on Twitter
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#191 » by polo007 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:10 pm

Read on Twitter
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Post#192 » by dagger » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:50 pm

Cards closer Jordan Hicks likely heading for surgery with a UCL tear. Another Ken Giles derby entry.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#193 » by vaff87 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:29 pm

dagger wrote:Cards closer Jordan Hicks likely heading for surgery with a UCL tear. Another Ken Giles derby entry.

That guy probably throws too hard for his arm to hold up.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,049

Post#194 » by Schad » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:21 pm

STL has one of the worst collections of pitching prospects in the majors, but I'd gladly relieve them of Dylan Carlson.
**** your asterisk.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#195 » by polo007 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:29 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Healey said he was told by other reporters that Callaway continued to curse at him. Healey said he did not hear that because he was “10 feet away at that point.”

Healey said Callaway then went into another room, and when the manager returned after a few minutes, he picked up where he left off.

“I couldn’t confidently tell you exactly what he said, but he said, ‘You know we’re going to be in a bad mood after a loss,’ or something like that. And I tried to tell him, I didn’t mean anything by it. I was just saying I’ll see you tomorrow. And then he said, ‘Get this guy out of here,’ and that got the attention of Jason Vargas.”

According to Healey, Vargas was getting dressed at his locker, which was about 15 feet away in the cramped visitors’ clubhouse, and Healey noticed the pitcher had been staring at him for what seemed like roughly 45 seconds. Healey said he was just standing there, “wondering why Mickey was blowing up,” when he saw Vargas. He recalled asking him if everything was OK or if there was something he wanted to say.

That’s when Vargas threatened him.

“He said, ‘I’ll knock you out right here’ and then took a couple of steps toward me,” Healey said. “Some people said charged — charged is super-strong.”

Mets media relations manager Ethan Wilson got between Healey and Vargas while other players, Noah Syndergaard and Carlos Gomez among them, moved in to make sure the pitcher remained at a distance. Healey said he walked away at that stage.

“I was shocked, and at the same time trying to tell Vargas or Callaway or Ethan, ‘Hey, I didn’t mean anything by it,’ which might have been interpreted as aggression on my part. I was in no way trying to be aggressive or antagonistic or anything. At that point in the day, I want to talk to Diaz and then leave, you know?

“What’s the point in me trying to pick a fight?”
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#196 » by Skin Blues » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:29 pm

Schad wrote:STL has one of the worst collections of pitching prospects in the majors, but I'd gladly relieve them of Dylan Carlson.

Giles for Reyes? He's injured, again, and has had control issues, again. He pulled a "Ken Giles" injuring himself with a punch earlier this season (more of a "Hunter Strickland" move, I guess) which resulted in a month on the DL, and now has some mysterious chest injury or something which caused him to be shut down again. But it's the right type of guy to take a chance on (could be useless for the rest of this season, but unlimited potential in the future) and they must be getting sick of all of his issues by now. Depends how serious the injury is, I guess.
-MetA4-
Head Coach
And1: 465

Post#197 » by -MetA4- » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:37 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
Schad wrote:STL has one of the worst collections of pitching prospects in the majors, but I'd gladly relieve them of Dylan Carlson.

Giles for Reyes? He's injured, again, and has had control issues, again. He pulled a "Ken Giles" injuring himself with a punch earlier this season (more of a "Hunter Strickland" move, I guess) which resulted in a month on the DL, and now has some mysterious chest injury or something which caused him to be shut down again. But it's the right type of guy to take a chance on (could be useless for the rest of this season, but unlimited potential in the future) and they must be getting sick of all of his issues by now. Depends how serious the injury is, I guess.

Seriously? Reyes is like a less accomplished version of Aaron Sanchez LOL.
Skin Blues
Veteran

Post#198 » by Skin Blues » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:31 pm

-MetA4- wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:

Seriously? Reyes is like a less accomplished version of Aaron Sanchez LOL.

Well, yeah. If he was a guy with this prospect pedigree, with 5 years of team control remaining, and more accomplished than Aaron Sanchez, there'd be no way we'd be getting him for Ken Giles. He was still a Top 20 prospect coming into this season according to Baseball America, after all. Even if you disagree with that rankings (as I'm sure you do) he's obviously still got huge potential which an injury to his non-throwing hand hardly affects. If we can get somebody better than him, then that's great too.
-MetA4-
Head Coach
And1: 465

Post#199 » by -MetA4- » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:07 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Well, yeah. If he was a guy with this prospect pedigree, with 5 years of team control remaining, and more accomplished than Aaron Sanchez, there'd be no way we'd be getting him for Ken Giles. He was still a Top 20 prospect coming into this season according to Baseball America, after all. Even if you disagree with that rankings (as I'm sure you do) he's obviously still got huge potential which an injury to his non-throwing hand hardly affects. If we can get somebody better than him, then that's great too.

More accomplished than Sanchez?

He turns 25 in two months and has a whopping 1 career WAR. Aaron Sanchez has a 3.6 WAR season under his belt, boss.

What, he's a hard throwing hyped prospect with a history of injuries.....like Aaron Sanchez, who you may have forgotten, was an "Ace level" prospect himself at one point?

No, I'm not trading 1.5 years of Ken Giles for Alex Reyes alone.
Skin Blues
Veteran

Post#200 » by Skin Blues » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:44 pm

-MetA4- wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Well, yeah. If he was a guy with this prospect pedigree, with 5 years of team control remaining, and more accomplished than Aaron Sanchez, there'd be no way we'd be getting him for Ken Giles. He was still a Top 20 prospect coming into this season according to Baseball America, after all. Even if you disagree with that rankings (as I'm sure you do) he's obviously still got huge potential which an injury to his non-throwing hand hardly affects. If we can get somebody better than him, then that's great too.

More accomplished than Sanchez?

He turns 25 in two months and has a whopping 1 career WAR. Aaron Sanchez has a 3.6 WAR season under his belt, boss.

What, he's a hard throwing hyped prospect with a history of injuries.....like Aaron Sanchez, who you may have forgotten, was an "Ace level" prospect himself at one point?

No, I'm not trading 1.5 years of Ken Giles for Alex Reyes alone.

I didn't say he's more accomplished than Sanchez. Maybe you need to re-read what I wrote.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays