Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Re: Better Than Zion: The Jalen McDaniels Thread 

Post#41 » by UNCNYC » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:16 am

Diop wrote:
Read on Twitter

He already has an outside shot but could improve it a bit. He is very talented. Although he is OLDER he can put on weight so who knows how much that could add to his game. He is a very good defender and can shoot from anywhere. Hes like a mixture of 4 players. Kuzma, Garnett, Crash and Durrant. He's not as good as them but does remind you of them.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#42 » by UNCNYC » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:29 pm

I think if Jalen can stay out of trouble and healthy he could be one of the best players every "drafted" by this team. Not best to play just drafted. He could make 1st team for us. Not saying he will be just saying it wouldn't surprise me much.

Kemba
Davis (could say Kobe but he never played here). (also could say Crash because we got him in expansion draft)
McDaniels
Johnson
Mourning
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#43 » by fatlever » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:30 pm

countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,303

Post#44 » by countryboi » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:52 pm

fatlever wrote:https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article231932943.html

he needs to get off his high horse, the kid has not be charged with anything and should be allowed the chance to move on provided he doesnt do something stupid again.
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#45 » by UNCNYC » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:07 pm

countryboi wrote:
fatlever wrote:https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article231932943.html

he needs to get off his high horse, the kid has not be charged with anything and should be allowed the change to move on provided he doesnt do something stupid again.

As much as I do not agree with what McDaniels did, he was a minor when this happened. I know it will be hard in this day and age for him to move on but I hope he gets the chance to do so.

BTW I think the McDaniels Roach combo is better than the Martin Washington combo even tho they barely and didn't get drafted.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Splitta
Sophomore
And1: 174

Post#46 » by Splitta » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:04 pm

Not condoning what McDaniels did which was reprehensible and he should make amends but Scott Fowler acting like he is the moral compass of the Charlotte community is pretty well sickening. He constantly wrote over and over that the Richardson statue should be removed. I am surprised the Observer is still in business with writers like Fowler. It is pretty simple just report the news and not always offer your opinion. People can form their own opinion. My vent is over!!!
BobsBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 100

Post#47 » by BobsBuddy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:31 am

:o If the kid shows genuine remorse for his actions and has talent ….Give him a chance.
If not cut him now.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#48 » by Eoghan » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:57 pm

Fowler can catch a bus at highway speeds for all I care. Trying to tell a business how to do their job and ruin a young man's career before it begins all because of a tissue paper thin "what if it were your daughters?" appeal to emotion fallacy is some of the most reprehensible journalism I've ever read.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#49 » by BigSlam » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:19 pm

Eoghan wrote:Fowler can catch a bus at highway speeds for all I care. Trying to tell a business how to do their job and ruin a young man's career before it begins all because of a tissue paper thin "what if it were your daughters?" appeal to emotion fallacy is some of the most reprehensible journalism I've ever read.

"ruin a young man's career before it begins"?

What about the lives of the two young women that were ruined? Their attempted suicides as a result of the slut shaming they were battered with and the "shhhh, you can't say anything because he's a high profile high school athlete" wall they ran into?

Go look at the scars on the inner forearm of one of the girls from her slicing herself from wrist to inner elbow.

Then read how McDaniels treated the mediation with utter contempt.

Are you seriously making McDaniels our to be the victim in this?

I find that utterly disgusting.

There are only two originating reprehensible acts here, and everything after is a result of those two reprehensible acts.
B B M F 'ers
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#50 » by UNCNYC » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:43 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Eoghan wrote:Fowler can catch a bus at highway speeds for all I care. Trying to tell a business how to do their job and ruin a young man's career before it begins all because of a tissue paper thin "what if it were your daughters?" appeal to emotion fallacy is some of the most reprehensible journalism I've ever read.

What about the lives of the two young women that were ruined? Their attempted suicides as a result of the slut shaming they were battered with and the "shhhh, you can't say anything because he's a high profile high school athlete" wall they ran into?

Go look at the scars on the inner forearm of one of the girls from her slicing herself from wrist to inner elbow.

There are only two originating reprehensible acts here, and everything after is a result of those two reprehensible acts.

Hey Bigslam, I want to commend you for being a standup quality human being.

Just wanted to say I doubt our broster (brother and poster combined) Eoghan meant it that way although it came across a
bit insensitive.

He over the years has been a quality poster and good person.

It's nice to know we have people like You (who stands up for the victims) and people like him (who believes in second chances).

Once again you guys never fail in letting us know how lucky we are to have the members of this board.

Let's do the best we can to try and keep it basketball related
(while also knowing that something happened that was horrible, sending our support, and hoping all involved can find peace)

I saw this type of situation happen on the dook boards regarding the lacross case and it got the board shut down on espn
(not the reason why I suggested we try to avoid the topic) just mentioning it...

Once again my/our hearts go out to who was involved and hopefully everyone can overcome it...
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#51 » by Eoghan » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:12 am

BigSlam wrote:

We have law enforcement and a legal system for this. This is not Fowler's or anybody else's business but the parties involved. **** anybody that tries to convict a stranger in the court of public opinion, that is my point. None of us were there, none of us know these people. If the Hornets feel like they did enough research to give McDaniels a chance, that's their business. Just like if you only want to root for a team full of high character choir boys, that's your business. McDaniels isn't even charged with a crime and people like Fowler want to treat him like a convicted felon and deny him career opportunity. Those girls made the mistake of engaging in sex acts and they handled the negative consequences very poorly. That's very unfortunate but McDaniels isn't directly responsible for their behavior ex post facto. If I get cut off in traffic and it makes me so angry that I punch the steering wheel and break my hand, my injury is nobody's fault but my own. The guy that cut me off shouldn't get a bigger fine just because I handled it poorly.
Splitta
Sophomore
And1: 174

Post#52 » by Splitta » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:55 am

Eoghan wrote:
BigSlam wrote:

We have law enforcement and a legal system for this. This is not Fowler's or anybody else's business but the parties involved. **** anybody that tries to convict a stranger in the court of public opinion, that is my point. None of us were there, none of us know these people. If the Hornets feel like they did enough research to give McDaniels a chance, that's their business. Just like if you only want to root for a team full of high character choir boys, that's your business. McDaniels isn't even charged with a crime and people like Fowler want to treat him like a convicted felon and deny him career opportunity. Those girls made the mistake of engaging in sex acts and they handled the negative consequences very poorly. That's very unfortunate but McDaniels isn't directly responsible for their behavior ex post facto. If I get cut off in traffic and it makes me so angry that I punch the steering wheel and break my hand, my injury is nobody's fault but my own. The guy that cut me off shouldn't get a bigger fine just because I handled it poorly.

I don't think Eoghan condoned the acts and neither do I. Our problem was Fowler trying to destroy someone in the public's eye and that is not right. It is up to the courts to decide his fate. Fowler can write a story with any details that are available but should not publicly convict the guy based on his opinion as if he is the judge and jury. I have worked in the Charlotte area since 1971 and have seen the Observer go from a "news" organization to an opinion based newspaper with reporters like Fowler. It just not right and I quit taking the paper copy probably 15 years ago. Just plain poor journalism.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#53 » by BigSlam » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:04 am

Eoghan wrote:
BigSlam wrote:

I've sat here for a moment thinking of the best way to respond to this naive, misogynistic, narrow minded, insensitive, offensive, ignorant (in the uneducated way - not the unknowing way) and just plain wrong post but then I remembered the best way to silence an idiot.......
B B M F 'ers
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#54 » by BeesWax » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:22 am

BigSlam wrote:
Eoghan wrote:
BigSlam wrote:"ruin a young man's career before it begins"?

I've sat here for a moment thinking of the best way to respond to this naive, misogynistic, narrow minded, insensitive, offensive, ignorant (in the uneducated way - not the unknowing way) and just plain wrong post but then I remembered the best way to silence an idiot.......

Just to go on record I thought it was against the rules to personally attack someone. Has that changed?
Spoiler:
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#55 » by BigSlam » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:25 am

BeesWax wrote:
BigSlam wrote:I've sat here for a moment thinking of the best way to respond to this naive, misogynistic, narrow minded, insensitive, offensive, ignorant (in the uneducated way - not the unknowing way) and just plain wrong post but then I remembered the best way to silence an idiot.......

Just to go on record I thought it was against the rules to personally attack someone. Has that changed?

Nope, still the same.

And I'll be happy to be suspended or permanently banned over this.

Report the post and let the other mods deal with it if you like.

I emphasized the word "idiot" in my post above to make it easy for you to reference.

Knock yourself out.
B B M F 'ers
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#56 » by yosemiteben » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:52 am

That was out of line, name calling is never appropriate.

Let's make this a bit easier and leave the cultural / political commentary for the current affairs board.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#57 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:04 am

Ill give Fowler credit in that he doesn't sugarcoat anything like Bonnell does.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#58 » by SWedd523 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:09 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:Ill give Fowler credit in that he doesn't sugarcoat anything like Bonnell does.

It's also not his job to use that platform to virtue signal, attempt to influence public opinion, or defame another person with a complete lack of knowledge on the subject.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#59 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:12 am

SWedd523 wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:Ill give Fowler credit in that he doesn't sugarcoat anything like Bonnell does.

It's also not his job to use that platform to virtue signal, attempt to influence public opinion, or defame another person with a complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

Thats 2019 journalism in a nutshell.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#60 » by SWedd523 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:13 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:

Thats 2019 journalism in a nutshell.

you know what, that's fair :lol:

Return to Charlotte Hornets