Draft Grades thread

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Re: Draft Grades thread 

Post#21 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:13 am

i think Boston had a low key very good draft -- Romeo, Edwards, Grant all solid picks, they hit some needs and got good value across the board.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#22 » by Coeur » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:23 pm

clyde21 wrote:i think Boston had a low key very good draft -- Romeo, Edwards, Grant all solid picks, they hit some needs and got good value across the board.

How was a SG a need? A projected backup pf? How do they maximize those guys? The Edwards pick will look great but I really feel like they **** the bed. I like Romeo but as a starter w some good players. He’s not a ball handler or 6th man type. So really he’s looking for minutes Hayward, Tatum and brown don’t take???

Atleast tell me this. What could they have got for pick 20 & 22? Couldn’t they have gotten 9-12 or so pick?

Celtics should have came out of this draft with Herro and Doumboya. Instead they waited and got Romeo and grant Williams.
beantownski
Bench Warmer
And1: 598

Post#23 » by beantownski » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:25 pm

Coeur wrote:
clyde21 wrote:i think Boston had a low key very good draft -- Romeo, Edwards, Grant all solid picks, they hit some needs and got good value across the board.

How was a SG a need? A projected backup pf? How do they maximize those guys? The Edwards pick will look great but I really feel like they **** the bed. I like Romeo but as a starter w some good players. He’s not a ball handler or 6th man type. So really he’s looking for minutes Hayward, Tatum and brown don’t take???

Atleast tell me this. What could they have got for pick 20 & 22? Couldn’t they have gotten 9-12 or so pick?

Celtics should have came out of this draft with Herro and Doumboya. Instead they waited and got Romeo and grant Williams.

how was SG a need?!? maybe because Brown is the only two on the roster.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their
shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and
you'll have their shoes.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#24 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:50 pm

Coeur wrote:

because SG is a need? Jaylen Brown is the only functional SG on their roster and is coming up on an extension soon. also Romeo is more of a combo guard anyways that can handle a bit, so he can play with Brown on the court together. not seeing the issue here.

also Herro was picked #13, before any of their picks.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,046

Post#25 » by Capn'O » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Any theories on why THT dropped?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,488

Post#26 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:13 pm

Capn'O wrote:Any theories on why THT dropped?

My guess: an empty gym is a terrible setting for THT. He's chubby. His athleticism doesn't pop. Unless he shoots lights out in drills (doubtful) he isn't a workout guy. In hindsight, he probably should've scrimmaged at the combine. His tools might have had a chance to shine in actual games.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Bar Fight
RealGM
And1: 15,859

Post#27 » by Bar Fight » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:13 am

Coeur wrote:

Lol. It's not that difficult. Start Brown, Tatum, and Hayward. Langford off the bench. Why would a 14th pick rookie start for any half decent team? He'll be fine in a bench role

Herro was selected before us.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#28 » by Roddy B for 3 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:28 am

How I grade the picks,
-50% where they are on my big board vs whoever was left still on the big board at the time of the draft pick.
-50% what do I think the team needs heading into that draft pick (example: A big, a starting PG, perimeter shooting, perimeter defense, best talent regardless of role, best talent regardless of the role unless the role is SG, etc.)

I don't factor in things like Cleveland sending 4 2nd round picks in for pick #30. I only grade the draft pick itself against who was still available to be drafted.

The median first round pick grade was between 61.65 & 63.3

Pick Number - Team name - draft pick grade

#1 - NOP - 100 -Williamson
#2 - MEM - 91.65 -Morant
#3 - NYK - 100 -Barrett
#4 - ATL - 100 -Hunter
#5 - CLE - 61.65 -Garland
#6 - MIN - 38.3 -Culver
#7 - CHI - 73.3 -White
#8 - NOP - 66.65 -Hayes
#9 - WAS - 100 -Hachimuri
#10 - ATL - 63.3 -Reddish
#11 - PHX - 36.65 -C.Johnson
#12 - CHA - 48.3 -Washington
#13 - MIA - 43.3 -Herro
#14 - BOS - 56.65 -Langford
#15 - DET - 86.65 -Doumbouya
#16 - ORL - 78.3 -Okeke
#17 - NOP - 75 -Alexander-Walker
#18 - IND - 26.65 -Bitazde
#19 - SAS - 28.3 -Samanic
#20 - PHI - 83.3 -Thybulle
#21 - MEM - 70 -Clarke
#22 - BOS - 30 -Williams
#23 - OKC - 33.3 -Bazley
#24 - PHX - 43.3 -Jerome
#25 - POR - 56.65 -Little
#26 - CLE - 39.15 -Windler
#27 - LAC - 73.3 -Kabenglee
#28 - GSW - 36.65 -Poole
#29 - SAS - 78.3 -K.Johnson
#30 - CLE - 36.65 -Porter Jr.

My top 5 favorite draft selections:
Zion-he was obviously the top talent in this year's draft, NOP could not have done better at this pick imo.
Barrett-I had him as the #2 prospect and he fills a need for NYK, NYK could not have done better at this pick imo.
Hunter-Atlanta picked the fourth best player available after the top three available players were taken. Hunter also fits the team very well
Hachimura-Hachimura was #5 on my big board and was drafted #9 that is great value especially because 1-4 on my big board have already been drafted. Hachimura-Hachimura will fill a vacant role for WAS he will be a great player for the team to get easy transition baskets with and I think in the half court he will develop a good offensive game suited for a #3 or #4 scorer on a great team. I think he will one day be a #3 or #4 best defender on a great team too.
Morant- I had him #3 in this class and he went #2. I would have preferred JJJ + Barrett to JJJ+Morant-, but Morant us also a good fit. Selecting the #3 talent in the draft is always a cause for celebration but since the #2 talent in the draft also would have filled a position of weakness I docked the Grizzlies points.

My least 5 draft picks were:
#18 - Indy has no need for another center.
#19 - I would like to change this because I trust SAS more than myself, but I'm sticking true to my big board for this exercise and have to dock SAS points for taking someone I had ranked #41 on my board.
#22 - I don't think Grant Williams has the size to play his game at the NBA level and I don't give much value to drafting players for what they can become (such as Grant *can* become a better defender and diversify his offense more).
#23 - I haven't seen enough out of Darius Bazley to give him a first round grade on my big board
#11, #28, #30 tied - Cam Johnson was a huge reach and they already have Mikal Bridges many, better players and fits were available. I ranked Poole as an UDFA (Idk where I should have ranked him, I didn't scout him). I don't think Porter Jr is going to be a relevant NBA player in 5 years and they already drafted 2 SG's ahead of him
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,740

Post#29 » by VanWest82 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:22 am

A+ for OKC. I still can’t believe Brandon Clarke fell that far. Bet he’s a top 5 guy from this class before it’s all said and done. Think Kenyon Martin on the Nuggets. That’s a really good player.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#30 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:21 pm

Fischella wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I think Phoenix and San Antonio showed their true colors with SA getting better players at 19 and 29 than Phoenix got at 11 and 24.

If you include the trade, New Orleans' draft was an all-time game-changer. They became must-see tv - for at least the next 4 years.

I don't really think this is true at all, Cam Johnson over Samanic for me, even if only slightly (when you add Saric to it, it's obviously even clearer) and Ty Jerome even though I didn't have him as a 1st rounder is clearly better than Keldon, who was the worst 1st round pick this year by a mile

I'm hearing people calling Keldon the steal of the draft - now. I was way down on Cam and you were so emphatic about being down on Keldon that we should revisit this at some point.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#31 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:41 pm

GameBredAPBT wrote:Bro ATL & NOLA obviously had the best drafts bro. Bro arguing otherwise is silly, both teams made out like bandits & are set for the next five years at LEAST. Bro. Bro ATL could potentially be the next “dynasty” out East, so much young talent on that team brah.

Bro let’s get real here, Chicago SLAYED their draft bro, White is a superior prospect to both Garland & Morant IMO, and bro Gafford at 38 was the steal of the draft bro. Bro Chicago is now the youngest & arguably the most athletic team in basketball bro. Bro people are gonna be surprised by Wendell Carter & Chandler Hutchison this year bro.

Bro honourable mentions to both Detroit & Portland.

Bro bro bro bro bro :nonono:
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Return to NBA Draft