Shams: Jazz trade for Conley...

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Re: Shams: Jazz trade for Conley... 

Post#221 » by zero24gravity » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:44 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:

It feels good to already have the deal done. Our front office has moved on to concentrate on filling out the roster while a number of teams are still preoccupied with where the top tier free agents land. Some of these teams are going to whiff on their top targets and wind up disappointed. We are also a bit more attractive destination now for lower level free agents looking to join a competitive, winning team --- we've got a solid big three of "not quite All Stars". :D

Great point about getting it done early. The Jazz need every FA advantage they can get, and being able to treat mid & lower tier FA's like they are priorities (because they are), has to make those players feel good vs the way a team like the Clippers or Sixers might treat those players at this point. "Sorry, we have to wait to see what XXXXX does before we can have serious talks with you, and we aren't sure what our core roster will even look like", isn't exactly an endearing sales-pitch.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#222 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:13 pm

Random insignificant stats:

Freak of nature John Stockton: 19 seasons, 54,162 NBA minutes --- double Mike Conley's minutes. He was pretty darn good thru the end.

Chris Paul: 14 seasons, 37,150 minutes --- 1/3 more minutes than Conley and still an excellent player last regular season, but not quite All Star.

Mike Conley: 12 seasons, but missed nearly all of 17-18 season, so really 11 seasons, 27,793 minutes. Conley is coming off one of his best seasons.

Knock on wood, but it seems possible to get a couple of high level seasons out of Conley. Also, if he plays real well this season, I am still not sure it would be particularly attractive for him to opt out of receiving 34.5 million for one more season. I know 33 year old Horford is rumuored to be opting out of $29 mill this season to hopefully sign a four year, $112 mill contract, but it is a bit easier (if it actually happens) for skilled big men to get paid big dollars well in to their thirties than it is for a small point guard to get paid big dollars well in to their thirties.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,018

Post#223 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:48 pm

It's going to get interesting when (I predict) Conley threatens to opt out of his final year and asks for a 4 yr contract extension, taking him to 36 years old, one year younger than CP3 will be when his deal is up.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#224 » by Catchall » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:34 pm

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#225 » by Luigi » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:45 pm

Looks good in the jazz shirt.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#226 » by Luigi » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:03 am

Teammate of the year 2019. And sportsman of the year 2019. Cool.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#227 » by stitches » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:41 am

Oh damn... you mean to tell me he doesn't sit on his ass or roam around the world all summer? Shocker!

Seriously though... Nice to see them together... get that chemistry in from the get go and lets go win it all!
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,507

Post#228 » by durden_tyler » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:32 am

Don't waste Conley please (meaning do all the moves you have to do to becoming legit title contenders), will be following Utah next season and cheering for you guys to do well.

At the moment i already see your team as Top 3 in the West.

(Adopt this Grizz fan for a year because we have noting to cheer for in Memphis-- title and playoffs wise at least)
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#229 » by TNJazz » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:14 pm

durden_tyler wrote:Don't waste Conley please (meaning do all the moves you have to do to becoming legit title contenders), will be following Utah next season and cheering for you guys to do well.

(Adopt this Grizz fan for a year because we have noting to cheer for in Memphis-- title and playoffs wise at least)

Welcome to the TN Jazz fan club, (at least for this year right?) Its terrific cheering for the Jazz from TN, but games are always blacked out between the Jazz and Grizz and Jazz and Hawks where I live, which I don't understand as I live in the Nashville area. That includes games in Utah!

I love your prediction of top 3, I think Conley will help get us there if everyone stays healthy, now let's see what else they do to help shore up the bench a bit and maybe get one more quality player. I read elsewhere that Conley has "this look" for players where he holds people accountable. Thats great and I hope he feels coming into in that he will be able to do that with everyone on the Jazz as well.

Looking forward to any insight you can give us.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,507

Post#230 » by durden_tyler » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:31 pm

TNJazz wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:Don't waste Conley please (meaning do all the moves you have to do to becoming legit title contenders), will be following Utah next season and cheering for you guys to do well.

Welcome to the TN Jazz fan club, (at least for this year right?) Its terrific cheering for the Jazz from TN, but games are always blacked out between the Jazz and Grizz and Jazz and Hawks where I live, which I don't understand as I live in the Nashville area. That includes games in Utah!

I love your prediction of top 3, I think Conley will help get us there if everyone stays healthy, now let's see what else they do to help shore up the bench a bit and maybe get one more quality player. I read elsewhere that Conley has "this look" for players where he holds people accountable. Thats great and I hope he feels coming into in that he will be able to do that with everyone on the Jazz as well.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Not from the U.S./Tenn. so i don't have your blackout problems.:D

A little backstory i guess on why i became a Memphis fan; i am a player-first fan (Jason Williams) as most international fans (am from the Philippines) don't have a team to follow when by default when you're not from the U.S. (So in a way i hate Utah then too; when Utah were owning the young Sacramento Kings, when i became a JWill fan :D)

Anyway, Williams got traded to Memphis (then i hated the Kings) and got hooked with those teams. Even when J-Will was traded to Miami (where we won a ring :D, with nice contributions from my favorite player) i never really left being a fan of Memphis (especially the Grit and Grind...)

Curiously, i likeD Ricky Rubio when he entered the NBA. i really thought i'd have my "next Jason Williams" to follow (Now you know what kind of players i like to follow, so yeah pass-first Stockton i never really hated even when i was backing Jordan then); never panned out in Minnesota and i thought it was just the system.

But when he was traded to Utah and still did not improve, it was a disappointment that he never at least reached J-Dub's level (come at me, Spaniards, if they are still here; i am of course biased for Williams). i did like Utah's chances with Rubio at the helm of the PG spot, i was wrong...

So here we are with Conley with the Jazz. My first take is that he will really, really help Mitchell "grow in his own terms". From what i saw last year (especially the playoffs), there was just too much on his plate, too much pressure to perform because of the Jazz's lack of creators on offense. He's a young guy, so that was sort of expected especially when pitted against the veterans in Houston...

Now with Conley, he can relax a bit on offense. Conley is the sort of point guard who prioritizes running the team first but will take over when necessary. Additionally, i think he maximizes Gobert's offense too (see: Marc Gasol).

Ultimately, i think Conley's contribution is again, to help give Mitchel space to operate...

Mitchell drives... Kicks out to Ricky Rubio. Clank. That was last year. Conley will provide a better result. (Yeah a final shot at Rubio for the final sentence of the post :D)
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,463

Post#231 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:11 pm

I loved the Kings version of Jason Williams, he was one of the most entertaining players to watch. His passing was insane. Shame about the trade to Memphis, as Brown took out everything that was fun about him and made him just another PG.

Welcome aboard.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#232 » by Luigi » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:50 pm

Long live the grindhouse. Would love to see Conley work with Favors like he did with ZBo.
stitches
RealGM

Post#233 » by stitches » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:07 pm

Luigi wrote:Long live the grindhouse. Would love to see Conley work with Favors like he did with ZBo.

The Grindhouse joins the Rim Reapers! Noone will ever score on us again!
stitches
RealGM

Post#234 » by stitches » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:11 pm

stitches
RealGM

Post#235 » by stitches » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:09 pm

It's official now:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#236 » by dautjazz » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:14 pm

So pumped!
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
stitches
RealGM

Post#237 » by stitches » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:00 pm

Read on Twitter
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,280

Post#238 » by babyjax13 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:03 pm

TNJazz wrote:

In Alabama Pelicans, Grizzlies, and Hawks games are all blacked out, so I can't see 10 percent of the season on league pass, lol.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#239 » by dr0welf » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:06 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
TNJazz wrote:

In Alabama Pelicans, Grizzlies, and Hawks games are all blacked out, so I can't see 10 percent of the season on league pass, lol.

League Pass is the biggest joke because of the blackouts.
stitches
RealGM

Post#240 » by stitches » Tue Jul 9, 2019 4:58 pm

Return to Utah Jazz