Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,854

Re: Wizards 2019 Draft Thread - Part II 

Post#1441 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:02 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:
DCZards wrote:^^^^^From the film I've watched on Justin Robinson I've been especially impressed with his passing. He's almost Wallesque in the way that he seems to find open teammates.

Well... :)

I hope we won't lay expectations on this young man that he has no chance whatever to fulfill -- he averaged 6.8 assists per 40 minutes last year.. I hope he can play at some NBA level, any NBA level.

Which doesn't mean he won't blow us all out of the water by being great. Just that nothing indicates that as likely.

It's not Robinson's numbers it's his vision that I'm most impressed by. But 6.8 ain't bad for college.

But I agree that expectations have to be kept in check...at least for the time being. :)

But wait, I say, wait! Not so fast. I just went & watched his highlights from the season, from the portsmouth invitational, & an interview with him after his workout for the pacers. Now I love him.

Ok... it's highlights! I mean, he looks like the 2d coming of Steph! :) Which I think we can assume he's not.

Size will work against him, but he's a dynamic player, an excellent scorer, looks to be quite a good athlete, & he is an exceptionally smart & composed young man.

If he doesn't stick with the team, & given part of his salary is guaranteed, maybe he can be our GM?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1442 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:04 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:
truwizfan4evr wrote:I would take otto over steven Adams any day.

Hey, WizarDynasty -- why don't you link to a post around those 2 drafts in which you said that either of those two players was better than Otto Porter.

Can't do it, can you? I guess that's b/c you never said anything like that.

WizarDynasty was definitely beating the drum on Steven Adams. I don't remember him saying anything about Giannis.

Still... that's my bad -- sorry WizarDynasty! &, of course, you were right: Steven Adams has been a terrific NBA player.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1443 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:37 pm

Justin Robinson interview after working out for the Wizards:

I feel like I'm watching the same guy 20 years from now comment on his interview to be a POBO. Smart, composed, verbal, confident.

He's gonna do something in this world, that young man. Count on it.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#1444 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:06 am

Yeah! The kids got handles !
DCZards wrote:^^^^^From the film I've watched on Justin Robinson I've been especially impressed with his passing. He's almost Wallesque in the way that he seems to find open teammates.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#1445 » by Mojo Amok » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:13 am

Read on Twitter

It's like I don't even know who we are anymore. As far as I'm concerned, this is just a celestial rejiggering of yin and yang to open the door to a certain prodigal Pinoy and cinnamon challenges without the guilt.

payitforward
RealGM

Post#1446 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:06 am

Who is this Bryan Oringher cat that we need to be paying attention to what he says?
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#1447 » by Dat2U » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:32 am

payitforward wrote:Who is this Bryan Oringher cat that we need to be paying attention to what he says?

A socially awkward former video coordinator for the Wizards who's embarrassed himself with his antics and takes more than once on social media.

If these where the types of guys Ernie employed, my God!

He knows some stuff but let him tell it, he knows more than everyone else.

How dare anyone think like me! :lol:
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#1448 » by nuposse04 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:00 pm

Dat2U wrote:
payitforward wrote:Who is this Bryan Oringher cat that we need to be paying attention to what he says?

A socially awkward former video coordinator for the Wizards who's embarrassed himself with his antics and takes more than once on social media.

Him wanting to point out he can beat WNBA players in a scrimmage was a weird hill to die on. That and DM'ing random followers of his for money or that they get blocked, lol.

He doesn't have the best communicative skills. I lowkey hope he posts here.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#1449 » by doclinkin » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:25 pm

Right. When he talks about coaches laughing at defensive grades I get the sense that it’s first hand experience.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#1450 » by Shoe » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:09 pm

Ayo Dosunmu is who the Wizards should be targeting in 2020. Great size, speed, feel, and good character.

He was inconsistent but had some of his best games against Michigan and Michigan State. His defense (and name and hairstyle) reminds me of a point guard OG Anunoby.

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#1451 » by Dat2U » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:12 pm

Shoe wrote:Ayo Dosunmu is who the Wizards should be targeting in 2020. Great size, speed, feel, and good character.

He was inconsistent but had some of his best games against Michigan and Michigan State. His defense (and name and hairstyle) reminds me of a point guard OG Anunoby.

Agree. I think Dosunmu can work himself into a lottery pick.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#1452 » by tontoz » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:43 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:
truwizfan4evr wrote:I would take otto over steven Adams any day.

Hey, WizarDynasty -- why don't you link to a post around those 2 drafts in which you said that either of those two players was better than Otto Porter.

Can't do it, can you? I guess that's b/c you never said anything like that.

WizarDynasty was definitely beating the drum on Steven Adams. I don't remember him saying anything about Giannis.

Agreed. WizD was all over Adams (his comical rants are worth looking for) but I don't remember him mentioning Giannis.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1453 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:16 pm

payitforward wrote:With Robinson, who knows? We'll get to see him in SL.

I just wish they'd signed Dedric Lawson. But even in his case, you can point out a zillion reasons why he'll likely fail. I don't think he will, & I think it even less b/c GS went out & inked him about 10 minutes after the draft ended (meaning, I guess, that they had an "if you don't get drafted" deal in place).

Behind Lawson in this kind of player, I had Daquan Jeffries. The Magic signed him.

Obviously, not a lot of these guys work out -- but some do; some work out great for that matter. I only want to sign those, btw. 8-)

Just an fyi on Lawson - he's only signed an SL contract, so anyone can still sign him to an NBA contract - though I agree with you that GS is the most likely team to sign him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1454 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:29 am

Ahhh, so basically he's getting a chance to show GS that his skills are worth an investment. Meanwhile, GS gets the chance to find out which of their UFAs will be leaving. That's very smart GM work.

I'll be interested to see whether he lands a spot in the NBA. He's very skilled & productive. Will his shortcomings as an athlete mean that his outstanding college numbers (overall every bit as good as Rui's) leave him outside looking in?
Jay81
Starter
And1: 473

Post#1455 » by Jay81 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:04 am

Dat2U wrote:

lol that guy is an idiot....a twitter trainwreck
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#1456 » by DCZards » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:41 pm

This is from Sam Vecenie’s of The Athletic thoughts on the draft:

Picks I wasn’t quite as high on

3. Rui Hachimura — I think Hachimura is a small reach here, but evaluators around the NBA were extremely mixed on him and I’m willing to hear out differences of opinion on this. It’s not a big deal from a talent perspective to take him at No. 9 in a draft like this. He has genuine upside if a team felt comfortable and confident in a development plan for him to get him there. So in that vein, I think I’m more frustrated with the process on a pick like this than anything. According to SB Nation, no one from the Wizards met with Hachimura before selecting him, and no one from the organization even so much as spoke with him. With most prospects, that approach wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. But with Hachimura, it gets a little bit more complicated because there are a lot of factors to consider as a large market drafting him. He’s not a guy you just throw to the wolves and see what happens. You need a plan. The language is no longer a barrier, but he’s also a person with a tremendous amount of interest in him from the entire country of Japan and until this point has basically lived an entirely sheltered existence in America. Going to Gonzaga and living in Spokane, Washington helped hide him away from massive media situations outside of some feature stories where people came to him. Throughout the pre-draft season, Hachimura was hidden away by Wasserman — with many teams believing he had a promise set. Now, he’ll be entering the NBA, where the spotlight is about 10 times larger than college basketball, and the team who selected him didn’t even so much as speak with him to best figure out how to make this work? Given that Hachimura still has a remarkable amount of development still left in his game — particularly when it comes to shooting the 3 and playing defense — this is not a road I would have gone down. He’s a high-level human being, and someone who I think adjusts well to things. But it’s just indicative of what the Wizards have done this spring and summer, going about things with half measures instead of picking a lane and going full-bore behind their decisions. That falls as much on owner Ted Leonsis more than it does on general manager Tommy Sheppard. So yeah, this one didn’t work for me from a front office perspective more than the player himself.

Favorite second-round picks

4. Admiral Schofield — The Wizards decided to buy into the second round and grab Schofield, another tough, physical two-way wing/forward who can guard up the lineup and knock down shots from distance. The difference between Schofield and Paschall is that I think Paschall has more ball skill and athleticism, but guys in this mold fit the modern NBA in terms of downsizing and retaining strength and perimeter skill. He should also get a chance to play relatively early, as the Wizards have holes at the 3 and 4.

payitforward
RealGM

Post#1457 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:42 pm

payitforward wrote:
DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:Well... :)

I hope we won't lay expectations on this young man that he has no chance whatever to fulfill -- he averaged 6.8 assists per 40 minutes last year.. I hope he can play at some NBA level, any NBA level.

Which doesn't mean he won't blow us all out of the water by being great. Just that nothing indicates that as likely.

It's not Robinson's numbers it's his vision that I'm most impressed by. But 6.8 ain't bad for college.

But I agree that expectations have to be kept in check...at least for the time being. :)

But wait, I say, wait! Not so fast. I just went & watched his highlights from the season, from the portsmouth invitational, & an interview with him after his workout for the pacers. Now I love him.

Ok... it's highlights! I mean, he looks like the 2d coming of Steph! :) Which I think we can assume he's not.

Size will work against him, but he's a dynamic player, an excellent scorer, looks to be quite a good athlete, & he is an exceptionally smart & composed young man.

If he doesn't stick with the team, & given part of his salary is guaranteed, maybe he can be our GM?

Check out the extensive -- & pretty positive! -- coverage of Justin Robinson at 19:53 of this podcast:

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/03/01/hardwood-homies-scouting-reports-johnson-robinson-wade-martin-twins/
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1458 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:52 pm

payitforward
RealGM

Post#1459 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:13 pm

I'd love to see the Wizards sign Yovel Zoosman -- very gifted prospect from Israel. I was a bit surprised to see him totally passed over in the draft.

We are probably too tight salary-wise, but the other guy it might make sense to sign is Jontay Porter.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1460 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:39 pm

A very lengthy scouting report on Zoosman is not very good other than comments about his 7-1 wingspan.
https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2019/5/10/18537306/yovel-zoosman-2019-nba-draft-scouting-report-atlanta-hawks

Return to Washington Wizards