ImageImageImage

Let's talk Robert Williams

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Cyclical
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,397

Let's talk Robert Williams 

Post#1 » by Cyclical » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:40 am

We're all following the free agency market and trying to forecast Danny's moves but how do you think Time Lord will fair next year? Is he ready for big minutes? Has he learned a thing or two under Horford's tutelage?

We know he can block shots with the best of them and he's definitely going to be physically stronger. The kid can pass the ball as well. Will he still get totally lost on D? Will he ever be effective outside the paint?

Or, will Danny trade him in a package for someone else...

I personally have a good feeling about the kid and I have a feeling Brad & Danny do as well and are taking the time to develop him.

Rookie Stats:
8.8 Minutes / 70% FG / 2.5 Rebounds / 1.4 Blocks

Your thoughts?

claycarver
Sixth Man
And1: 2,099

Re: Let's talk Robert Williams 

Post#2 » by claycarver » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:35 am

Looks eerily similar to DeAndre Jordan. Strengths and weaknesses. Is Brad ok with a blank spot on the floor past 6 feet in exchange for a vacuum cleaner around the basket?

Based on how the offseason is going, I'd guess they like him. I sure do.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#3 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:40 am

claycarver wrote:Looks eerily similar to DeAndre Jordan. Strengths and weaknesses. Is Brad ok with a blank spot on the floor past 6 feet in exchange for a vacuum cleaner around the basket?

The issue, obviously, is defense in space. Stevens needs to have schemed something up so that, when opponents try to force Williams away from the basket, either he can defend effectively or else not have to go in the first place. Given how alert and reasonably agile he seems in what he's already good at -- shot-blocking, roll man, etc. -- that should be doable.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#4 » by Roddy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:59 am

Excited to see him in Summer league.

If he can add a mid-range shot and work on his rebounding (he was bad at boxing out), so I could see him playing 20/25 minutes.
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#5 » by Elrod is Back » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:25 am

If Timelord gets rotation minutes that will be a colossal victory. Right now we have little reason to believe Brad thinks he can play at all, despite his obvious tools. I am rooting for the guy. His tools are incredible. But like all big men, it is unclear how much he loves the game, how much of a competitor he is, how hard he is willing to work.

You never have to worry about that with little guys. If Carsen Edwards or Tremont Waters weren't hyper-competitive basketball junkies they'd have never made it this far. When you are a 6-9 or taller and a gifted athlete, you can coast a long way before your lack of love for the game, work ethic, and competitive drive catches up to you. NBA history is littered with talented 7 footers who just didn't like basketball or to compete that much.

The jury is still out on Timelord in this regard. But it won't be for long. Let's hope he is just a small town kid who has a fire burning inside him.
Sibelius
Freshman
And1: 71

Post#6 » by Sibelius » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:45 am

What is the prognosis on his blood vessel condition? He was huffing and puffing in the limited minutes he had. Is he going to get surgery and will the surgery alleviate the breathing issues? I think his team defense can improve, but if he can't stay on the floor he has no chance of improving.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#7 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:07 pm

If as reported he will eventually need surgery I wish he had had it done after he was drafted. But I took his huffing and puffing as. The result of him not being able to go hard in workouts last year because of his knees, as well as that he could habe really used losing about 15 pounds. Of he does that and his knees are good I think he can develop all the mobility and endurance that he needs. Plus I expect his shot to come along.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,158

Post#8 » by chakdaddy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:08 pm

Sibelius wrote:What is the prognosis on his blood vessel condition? He was huffing and puffing in the limited minutes he had. Is he going to get surgery and will the surgery alleviate the breathing issues? I think his team defense can improve, but if he can't stay on the floor he has no chance of improving.

Pretty sure his issue was only circulation to the legs. I suppose that could indirectly affect his overall conditioning but that seems unlikely.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,151

Post#9 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:37 pm

Pretty impressive highlight clip for a dude who played 2mpg.

Pretty sweet passes by the scumbag from Brooklyn also. Lol
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#10 » by Ernest » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Anyone expecting anything from him this season is setting themselves up for disappointment. No real knock on him, maybe he will play well, but set expectations at nothing and hope to be surprised.
Iguodaladon
Pro Prospect
And1: 954

Post#11 » by Iguodaladon » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:36 pm

He's very very raw - like you said, he gets lost on D a lot. Outside of blocking shots and rebounding I didn't see much from him, but if he can round out the rest of his game he's an intriguing player
Obama to Zach Lavine: ‘I used to be able to get up like you back in the day.’
Jaren Jackson Jr on Doncic: 'I thought he was a myth'
bfchs123
Senior
And1: 1,442

Post#12 » by bfchs123 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:21 pm

Very raw and I doubt he gets anywhere near 20+ min next year (Baynes averaged ~16min, granted he was injured for part).

Hope we can hold onto him and would be great for him to learn from a guy like Capela/DJ who have very similar skillsets.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#13 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:58 pm

He gets lost on D, but his vision on the offensive end has to be a positive sign that he'll figure out what to do defensively, since he's obviously able to read the court. Not that his vision is truly remarkable, but I'd say it's definitely an above average skill he possesses relative to the average Center. He's no Jokic, but he's also not Al Jefferson. The athletic tools will take him a long way and I don't buy into that he couldn't have played more last year, there just wasn't room to let someone like him develop on the floor when you had championship aspirations (lmao imagine thinking this).

Right now he'd be the starting C, so worst case he should get solid backup minutes if they bring in a veteran to start over him. Especially if Theis goes back to Germany. There aren't many centers who immediately pick up the speed of the NBA and understand where to be defensively. It took Gobert a few years to know what to do at all and now he's a multi-DPOY winner. Just accept that he's going to look really, really bad sometimes and deal with it. This team shouldn't have championship aspirations at this point unless Ainge has some crazy trades up his sleeve, so hopefully they can get Williams at least 15 minutes a game.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
claycarver
Sixth Man
And1: 2,099

Post#14 » by claycarver » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:05 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
claycarver wrote:Looks eerily similar to DeAndre Jordan. Strengths and weaknesses. Is Brad ok with a blank spot on the floor past 6 feet in exchange for a vacuum cleaner around the basket?

The issue, obviously, is defense in space. Stevens needs to have schemed something up so that, when opponents try to force Williams away from the basket, either he can defend effectively or else not have to go in the first place. Given how alert and reasonably agile he seems in what he's already good at -- shot-blocking, roll man, etc. -- that should be doable.

I read somewhere that Williams actually had to do good bit of switching up and perimeter defense in college. They had a big next to Williams that wasn't as fleet footed, so that ended up forcing Williams to learn to defend away from the basket.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#15 » by ParticleMan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:17 pm

man if he could give us like 15 mpg next year that would be such a huge boost. basically fill theis's role.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,025

Post#16 » by Bad-Thoma » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:21 pm

I like the kid long term but he was so raw last season I don't expect that much yet, I'd be happy with any contribution.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,925

Post#17 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:36 pm

If the Celtics don’t trade Robert Williams then the hope is he will be able to give the Celtics a solid 20 mpg next year. Rim runner, defense, rebounding, setting screens and passing.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#18 » by Wes-J » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:39 pm

Lets face it he's 2-3 yrs from being ready. He's got a lot to learn on and off the court.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#19 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:33 am

claycarver wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:

I read somewhere that Williams actually had to do good but of switching up and perimeter defense. They had a big next to Williams that wasn't as fleet footed, so that ended up forcing Williams to learn to defend away from the basket.

I'm sure he has the physical agility. The issue is reading more of the court than just the small area around the basket or even, as it is correctly noted above that he does at the offensive end, the path between him and the basket.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,509

Post#20 » by VeryMuchWoke » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:09 am

I've heard he's been in the gym, putting a lot of work in. I hope he can get 15 mpg this year.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley

Return to Boston Celtics