ImageImage

2019 Draft Discussion

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Re: 2019 Draft Discussion 

Post#1621 » by SWedd523 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:45 pm

2020 related, but I just saw this guy https://www.nbadraft.net/players/precious-achiuwa

We HAVE to draft that guy.

My preciousssssss
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1622 » by BigSlam » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:56 pm

SWedd523 wrote:2020 related, but I just saw this guy https://www.nbadraft.net/players/precious-achiuwa

My preciousssssss

He's a slam dunk to be nicknamed Gollum if we do draft him.
B B M F 'ers
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#1623 » by SWedd523 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:59 pm

BigSlam wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:2020 related, but I just saw this guy https://www.nbadraft.net/players/precious-achiuwa

My preciousssssss

He's a slam dunk to be nicknamed Gollum if we do draft him.

He also has some pretty awesome hair, and his last name sounds like what you say when you sneeze.

Gollum Sneezes: The Precious Achiuwa thread

Yep. Early favorite

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1624 » by BigSlam » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:01 pm

SWedd523 wrote:and his last name sounds like what you say when you sneeze.

This got an audible laugh out of me.

Well played, well played....
B B M F 'ers
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,147

Post#1625 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:22 pm

UNCNYC wrote:It's kinda unfair that my players didn't get drafted so I have no way of seeing how I am as a GM. This would be my roster if I were GM

Kemba / NAW
Zhairre / Marinkovic
Bacon / Lamb
YuTa / Frank
Cook / Biz

Cook got picked up for summer leage by Denver so I don't need a replacement for him but I need one for Obeisie, so I will sub Marinkovic in for Obeisie (at least until if or when Obeisie gets a Summer League invite or G-league etc...) then after I will put him back in my line-up.

I do not think it has been long enough to truly evaluate, but you having players like Barrett, Morant, and Zion basically as busts and then claiming players like BJ Taylor, Yuta, McDaniels and Theo Pinson as future starters or better in the NBA is just head scratching.

Also, you make 20 predictions. I would be interested how many you have to get right before you consider yourself successful?

If Zion becomes great are you a failure for being so wrong? If Cook becomes a guy who makes the nuggets and plays 10 mins a game for the next 3 years are you right on him?

Also players like Zhaire and Edwards haven’t done anything yet and you thought they were going to be stars..

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#1626 » by UNCNYC » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:31 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:It's kinda unfair that my players didn't get drafted so I have no way of seeing how I am as a GM. This would be my roster if I were GM

Kemba / NAW
Zhairre / Marinkovic
Bacon / Lamb
YuTa / Frank
Cook / Biz

Cook got picked up for summer leage by Denver so I don't need a replacement for him but I need one for Obeisie, so I will sub Marinkovic in for Obeisie (at least until if or when Obeisie gets a Summer League invite or G-league etc...) then after I will put him back in my line-up.

I do not think it has been long enough to truly evaluate, but you having players like Barrett, Morant, and Zion basically as busts and then claiming players like BJ Taylor, Yuta, McDaniels and Theo Pinson as future starters or better in the NBA is just head scratching.

Also, you make 20 predictions. I would be interested how many you have to get right before you consider yourself successful?

If Zion becomes great are you a failure for being so wrong? If Cook becomes a guy who makes the nuggets and plays 10 mins a game for the next 3 years are you right on him?

Also players like Zhaire and Edwards haven’t done anything yet and you thought they were going to be stars..

Not really sure if when I make my predictions, if I actually am concerned about them coming out or not. I kinda just make them and go... But I just make them because I often look at everything (while overlooking everything as well). and the fact that I look at everything, (in this case the draft) I just so happened to make many predictions as part of my evaluation process...

I think that I am a decent evaluator of talent and I find it interesting to predict things like the success of NBA players... I think zion, barret etc... are going to be solid pros, just not nowhere NEAR the level most think.

As far as the Zhaires and Edwards of the world go, them not making it doesn't mean they're not good or talented. Most NBA GM's go with the FLOW of PREDICTIONS that are set before the draft.

As an NBA GM they would lose their jobs if they swung for the fence and took a YuTa Watanabe over a Jaren Jackson, (Even tho I would rather take YuTa). So guys like YuTa suffer due to media hype or lack there of...

If I were a GM,, and I had the first pick in THIS years draft I woulda deserately wanted to trade the pick, but I highly doubt I would have due to pressure of taking ZION.

This year is a good way to at least see if my assesments could be true in that if Mcdaniels and Roach (both of whom I like quite a bit but not as much as some of the others) turn out better than PJ Washington and Cody Martin. I say that because they would at least have been given somewhat of a chance to prove themselves. I think both of them are better than the two drafted before them. Not by much but slightly.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,147

Post#1627 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:50 pm

UNCNYC wrote:
Not really sure if when I make my predictions, if I actually am concerned about them coming out or not. I kinda just make them and go... But I just make them because I often look at everything (while overlooking everything as well). and the fact that I look at everything, (in this case the draft) I just so happened to make many predictions as part of my evaluation process...

I think that I am a decent evaluator of talent and I find it interesting to predict things like the success of NBA players... I think zion, barret etc... are going to be solid pros, just not nowhere NEAR the level most think.

As far as the Zhaires and Edwards of the world go, them not making it doesn't mean they're not good or talented. Most NBA GM's go with the FLOW of PREDICTIONS that are set before the draft.

As an NBA GM they would lose their jobs if they swung for the fence and took a YuTa Watanabe over a Jaren Jackson, (Even tho I would rather take YuTa). So guys like YuTa suffer due to media hype or lack there of...

If I were a GM,, and I had the first pick in THIS years draft I woulda deserately wanted to trade the pick, but I highly doubt I would have due to pressure of taking ZION.

This year is a good way to at least see if my assesments could be true in that if Mcdaniels and Roach (both of whom I like quite a bit but not as much as some of the others) turn out better than PJ Washington and Cody Martin. I say that because they would at least have been given somewhat of a chance to prove themselves. I think both of them are better than the two drafted before them. Not by much but slightly.

So looking at your list you had Roach and BJ Taylor rated higher than Morant. So is it safe to say Roach and BJ aren’t playing 25 mins a game in three years you were wrong on them?

Or are you saying you just have opinions and you do not think making these bold predictions should hold any weight if you are wrong?

A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile so if you make enough crazy predictions you are bound to be right eventually.

Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1628 » by UNCNYC » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:56 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:

So looking at your list you had Roach and BJ Taylor rated higher than Morant. So is it safe to say Roach and BJ aren’t playing 25 mins a game in three years you were wrong on them?

Or are you saying you just have opinions and you do not think making these bold predictions should hold any weight if you are wrong?

A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile so if you make enough crazy predictions you are bound to be right eventually.

I think all things being EQUAL they will out perform Ja Morant. Things being equal means all players mentioned given the same opportunity at success... I think If BJ Starts or Roach (or plays a lot) they will be better players than Ja Morant will be... When I rate players I often don't even look out how many views a video gets because I don't want to be caught up in the world of (taking what the experts say we should etc...) so I pick players on what I feel I think are the best players. I truly think if there were no MOCK drafts there would be so much less pressure on a GM and the players (that I like) would actually get drafted higher and more often.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1629 » by UNCNYC » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:19 pm

I predicted Bacon would be better than Monk. If Bacon had not been given an opportunity by the HORNETS and they had not been patient with him he would be just another of the MANY players that were "overlooked" by teams.

Below is a video of Tyler Cook. I posted it because I truly think he is talented. I posted a WHOLE GAME featuring Tyler Cook. If you are bored check it out...

UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#1630 » by KingCat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:15 am

This recent news makes our draft choice even worse imo. Who cares about a Marvin replacement in a year when we need a Kemba and Lamb replacement right now???
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1631 » by UNCNYC » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:09 pm

KingCat wrote:This recent news makes our draft choice even worse imo. Who cares about a Marvin replacement in a year when we need a Kemba and Lamb replacement right now???

I agree. We have very little to replace Kemba but might be a bright side as a replacement for LAMB...

Although not a huge scorer, but GREAT defender I think if given a chance we will be happy with "SNOOP" aka Kerwin Roach as a viable replacement down the line or even sooner. Since it's summer league I will post this FULL GAME to show SNOOPS defense. This game is against Jarrett Culver and SNOOP pretty much SHUT HIM DOWN. I think SNOOP played better actually. I am such a huge fan of both he and Mcdaniels. If anyone is bored and wants to watch a full game and get to know snoop better this would be a game to tune into. SNOOP is a GLOVE on defense. Has a high IQ.

P.S. this is a full game not clips so I only recommend watching if you're bored lol. I watch basketball all the time so I can't wait for summer league haha

;t=752s
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
CatgutStitches
Junior
And1: 262

Post#1632 » by CatgutStitches » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:07 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:

Don't even try dude...just accept it as entertainment. You could easily assemble a team in the G League that he thinks would win the NBA championship for the next decade...

As far as Washington being a worse choice if we lose Kemba I disagree. We are going to be terrible either way, so if we had Washington as the BPA then that's who you pick. Though I still would have taken a flyer on a high risk/reward player with 36, because I think both Martin bros would have been undrafted.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1633 » by UNCNYC » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:36 pm

Hey guys its SUPER early but heres a peak at Next years draft. While it is NOT THAT DEEP in an obvious way but it is deep if we do our research.

To me the CLEAR number 1 player is Killian Hayes. Josh Green is someone who could be as good as Hayes as well and considered
for #1.

To me if I were drafting now I would DEFINITELY do Killian Hayes #1.

NOTE - Jaden McDaniels is in this draft (I do not have him as an option for us) but it would be funny if we had the MARTINS
and McDaniels on our squad.

As for the 2nd pick there are quit a few directions to go there

Arturs Zagars - Since we lost Kemba, if we can get him in the 2nd its a MUST. (although Killian Hayes is pretty much a PG).
Zagars has loads of star potential.

C.J. Elleby - A solid stud player that could be a Terrence Mann type.

Tom Digbeu - Has almost as much potential as Killian Hayes and Josh Green.

John Petty - Low key star. Hes like my SNOOP of next years draft. I am a fan.

AJ Reaves - Had a foot injury, but if he has healed, I had him at #1 in THIS years draft for a while so he could be an option.

Amar Sylla - Stud inside and has potential but lacks a real jumper. People say he reminds them of Greek Freak but I don't
think so.

CENTERS - Neemias Queta OR ikey Obiagu

POTENTIAL SUMMER LEAGUE INVITES - Quentin Grimes, Emmitt Matthews Jr., Kellan Grady, Isaiah Joe,

SUPER SLEEPER - Ty-Shon Alexander. He is not in the MOCKS so he should be there. I think he could be the steal of the draft.
He just seems like the guy you will regret not taking but totally understand how you missed him because he will most likely
be overlooked. as of now he would be my 2nd round pick.

UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1634 » by UNCNYC » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:07 pm

I forgot one last player to include for the 2020 draft. There are only 4 players I would consider taking in the first round of next years draft (thats how week it is imo).

Killian Hayes
Josh Green
Arturs Zagars

and "Malcolm Cazalon" who I forgot to include. He would be my second pick behind Hayes. It is extremely weak draft tho so far.

UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
bravor
Starter
And1: 733

Post#1635 » by bravor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Good choice for Cazalon since he has good size, plays on both hands and has good basket iq. But he tends to be a little disinterested at times and too 'easy' with the ball (turnover prone because he can be careless). Talent is there (size too for a 2), but he needs to prove he can translate it at the pro level (plays in Bourg en Bresse in France, yeah, like you could know where it is :lol: ). I think he has more chance to do a career in Europe like Bogodanovic (the good one, the serb from sactown) before he gets a chance in the nba.
Kinda injury prone too.
I dont get why you are high on vagars though. As fun as he is, even with ped's he has no chance to become a factor in the nba (he is less athlétic than Dragic), he would be destroyed defensively.

Hayes could be fun here. We should know soon where he plays (he wants to play a european cup). But id rather the Hornets pick an american pg with high potential, and a decent pf/c. Considering the Diaw (i dont get the hate honnestly, he is by far the most talented nba player we ever had) and Batum stories, drafting a high rank'd french prospect would not bode well. I'd rather the Hornets trade or sign one of our future prospects that could not confirm to see if they could bounce back (like what happened with Hezonja to a certain extend).
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1636 » by UNCNYC » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:40 pm

bravor wrote:Good choice for Cazalon since he has good size, plays on both hands and has good basket iq. But he tends to be a little disinterested at times and too 'easy' with the ball (turnover prone because he can be careless). Talent is there (size too for a 2), but he needs to prove he can translate it at the pro level (plays in Bourg en Bresse in France, yeah, like you could know where it is :lol: ). I think he has more chance to do a career in Europe like Bogodanovic (the good one, the serb from sactown) before he gets a chance in the nba.
Kinda injury prone too.
I dont get why you are high on vagars though. As fun as he is, even with ped's he has no chance to become a factor in the nba (he is less athlétic than Dragic), he would be destroyed defensively.

Hayes could be fun here. We should know soon where he plays (he wants to play a european cup). But id rather the Hornets pick an american pg with high potential, and a decent pf/c. Considering the Diaw (i dont get the hate honnestly, he is by far the most talented nba player we ever had) and Batum stories, drafting a high rank'd french prospect would not bode well. I'd rather the Hornets trade or sign one of our future prospects that could not confirm to see if they could bounce back (like what happened with Hezonja to a certain extend).

I dissagree on Diaw being the most talented we have ever had lol.

I do agree with the doubt in taking a french player but in this draft they seem to be THERE lol.

The only players who I LOVE in the upcoming draft is HAYES and OBEISIE
(I didn't include obeisie because I already drafted him this year lol).

I think if we don't take Hayes we are pathetic.

But outside of that this draft is the WEAKEST in a long time.

What I like about Zagars is what if he does become that "it" guy... He is not an athletic freak or super fast etc...
but he is a good passer, has good speed, and can shoot and has good size. In a draft this weak I would gamble.

I didn't know about any Ped's...?
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
bravor
Starter
And1: 733

Post#1637 » by bravor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:14 pm

"we" = france. I was talking about our (french) nba players.

Ballo (mali) reached the finale of last U19 and has been impressive (on both ends) and there are couple prospects around the 18/19 that are probably worth more than many guys who were lottery in last couple of drafts. In particular the 2017 draft is looking quite underwhelming now. Couple bigs in Europe too that could be interesting (obviously petrusev in Gonzaga will be interesting to follow, and overlal Gonzaga could be fun if chemistry is good - we have Ayayi there, i hope he will be able to shine, he has some real nba game).
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#1638 » by LofJ » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:51 pm

What do you think about Killian Hayes bravor?

After watching some video on him and Maledon I don't understand why Hayes is listed as a late first rounder and Maldon an early lottery pick. They seem to be pretty equal to me with Hayes having a slight edge.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1639 » by UNCNYC » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:15 am

bravor wrote:"we" = france. I was talking about our (french) nba players.

Ballo (mali) reached the finale of last U19 and has been impressive (on both ends) and there are couple prospects around the 18/19 that are probably worth more than many guys who were lottery in last couple of drafts. In particular the 2017 draft is looking quite underwhelming now. Couple bigs in Europe too that could be interesting (obviously petrusev in Gonzaga will be interesting to follow, and overlal Gonzaga could be fun if chemistry is good - we have Ayayi there, i hope he will be able to shine, he has some real nba game).

Thanks for your knowledge man. I knew about Petrusev as well as Kalaitzakis (who is a decent prospect) One more question, What do you think of Obeisie? Is he know yet out there? I am a big fan of his.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1640 » by UNCNYC » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:05 am

Well guys some of you liked my depth chart and some of you dislike it, but this year there is no way to like or dislike it. This is my 2020 depth chart lmaoooooo

PG
Killian Hayes

SG
Killian Hayes

SF
Killian Hayes

PF
Killian Hayes

C
Killian Hayes
UPDATED 2-18-2024