Around The NBA

Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,083

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#81 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:28 pm

JonFromVA wrote:For anybody keeping score, the Laker's Rob Pelinka (now being accused of being a pathological liar) was Carlos Loozer's agent when he lied to Gordon Gund's face about his commitment to the team and was fired from his agency over the debacle.

I have mixed feelings about that entire thing. Boozer and his agent were **** but the Gund was stupid and was trying to circumvent the CBA. The Cavs were lucky to get out of that without getting sanctioned. If you like a player, just extend the Q.O.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,370

Post#82 » by JonFromVA » Tue May 28, 2019 9:06 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:For anybody keeping score, the Laker's Rob Pelinka (now being accused of being a pathological liar) was Carlos Loozer's agent when he lied to Gordon Gund's face about his commitment to the team and was fired from his agency over the debacle.

I have mixed feelings about that entire thing. Boozer and his agent were **** but the Gund was stupid and was trying to circumvent the CBA. The Cavs were lucky to get out of that without getting sanctioned. If you like a player, just extend the Q.O.

I don't think Gund was trying to circumvent the CBA, I think he was trying to help out a valued player who'd been constantly begging anyone and everyone that he wanted to get paid, and get paid right away. There was nothing the Cavs could legally do to help him other than let him out of his contract. Yes, the Cavs would have benefited, and maybe that was the bait on the hook that made the con work ... but they were perfectly fine with letting him play out his contract for 500K and then dealing with him.

They went to great lengths to make sure they did not form any sort of legal agreement that would violate the CBA ... it was all respect & trust. The problem is Gund gave it, then failed to receive it back.

And to make matters worse, LeBron encouraged Loozer to do what was "best for his family".
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#83 » by gflem » Tue May 28, 2019 10:54 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I don't think Gund was trying to circumvent the CBA, I think he was trying to help out a valued player who'd been constantly begging anyone and everyone that he wanted to get paid, and get paid right away. There was nothing the Cavs could legally do to help him other than let him out of his contract. Yes, the Cavs would have benefited, and maybe that was the bait on the hook that made the con work ... but they were perfectly fine with letting him play out his contract for 500K and then dealing with him.

They went to great lengths to make sure they did not form any sort of legal agreement that would violate the CBA ... it was all respect & trust. The problem is Gund gave it, then failed to receive it back.

And to make matters worse, LeBron encouraged Loozer to do what was "best for his family".

I dont know that the team was "perfectly happy" to let him play out the rookie deal, or they would have done just that. I believe it was Paxson (along with the scumbag Pelinka) that persuaded Gund to ok letting Boozer out of his deal. It was a really dumb move either way.
But I am enjoying the Lakers being a dumpster fire with Pelinka as GM, being led around by Lebron the GM. The only way it could be better is if Kryrie went there and then he cant stomach being Lebron's caddy again.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,370

Post#84 » by JonFromVA » Tue May 28, 2019 11:23 pm

gflem wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I dont know that the team was "perfectly happy" to let him play out the rookie deal, or they would have done just that. I believe it was Paxson (along with the scumbag Pelinka) that persuaded Gund to ok letting Boozer out of his deal. It was a really dumb move either way.
But I am enjoying the Lakers being a dumpster fire with Pelinka as GM, being led around by Lebron the GM. The only way it could be better is if Kryrie went there and then he cant stomach being Lebron's caddy again.

Actually, if I remember right I'd read that Paxson advised Gund not to do it, but Gund thought he had a close relationship with Loozer and chose to trust him.

It sure seemed like a dumb move at the time and in retrospect, but there's no telling what kind of a stink Loozer might have made if the Cavs didn't show him the "respect" he was begging for.

And yes, the Cavs would have been perfectly happy to let Loozer play out his deal. A few more million to throw around in free-agency isn't worth risking losing Loozer for nothing when you've got him under contract at 500k and then a RFA with Bird rights thereafter. Loozer and Pelinka somehow convinced Gund that there was no risk while at the same time repeating over and over to his face that they weren't agreeing to anything - just willing to return "respect".

Here's Gund's side of it:

https://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/gund_boozer_040714.html
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#85 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:04 pm

Read on Twitter

Savage
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#86 » by Richfield » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:37 am

If they can't find better deals, Miami and Charlotte should do a Batum for Whiteside swap. For change sake. New scenery boost for each guy.

Better rim protection for Charlotte, and just a new dimension on the court, might be open for easy lobs when Kemba drives. A more competent and skilled wing for Miami.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:29 am

Read on Twitter
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#88 » by Richfield » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:36 am

Love the the signature, jbk1234. Just got finished asking people to leave Kevin Love out of their Chris Paul trade suggestions.

That's hilarious.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:21 am

Richfield wrote:Love the the signature, jbk1234. Just got finished asking people to leave Kevin Love out of their Chris Paul trade suggestions.

That's hilarious.
Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#90 » by Richfield » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:59 am

Amico reporting that according to Steve Bulpett "Celtics looking to trade one or more of their three first-round picks"..

I guess we could kind of figure these picks were available given Boston's situation. But feels more like an advertisement now. Wonder if the Al Horford news changes how they feel about those picks, one way or the other.

A reminder, those picks are 14, 20, and 22.
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#91 » by Richfield » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:51 pm

The General Board showing news of Willie Cauley-Stein wanting a fresh start somewhere. Wants to become a free agent.

Unfortunately I have a feeling he and his agent have a place in mind, and that it's not Cleveland. However, if that's not the case, what do you guys think?

I've always liked his finishing close to the basket and mobility getting up and down the court. He spans quite a bit of space on lobs and on defense.

I think he'd give us flexibility should we want to go big inside with Nance at the 4, without loosing too much mobility in transition. Zizic is nice but not the most athletic. We'll also need some great help D if our guards are as bad at D as everybody says (they'd have to play up and under their opponent if too short, allowing more penetration).

Not sure how he'd fit Beilein schemes, and the fact that he's not happy in Sac town is a concern of it's own, but they do have Bagley. Seems like he's paid his dues first few years in the league, and might be ready to play bigger minutes and role.

For those of you trying to get rid of Tristan, these are the type of situations (not necessarily this exact one) that I think it's worth holding on to TT for until situations on other teams pop up. There might be an opportunity to steal somebody due to circumstances if we can hold on to him until that situation comes up. He's not worth getting rid of just to get rid of. He will be a sellable trade target for teams that think they're ready to take those next steps or add a proven product inside as they move forward to try to compete, even with that contract.

Not sure what Cauley-Stein will be looking for in free agency, or if he can get sign and traded. But if he fits in Cleveland, Tristan and Love won't be our inside guys forever, and they should consider getting younger inside with this opportunity imo.
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Post#92 » by substancej » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:18 pm

Richfield wrote:The General Board showing news of Willie Cauley-Stein wanting a fresh start somewhere. Wants to become a free agent.

Unfortunately I have a feeling he and his agent have a place in mind, and that it's not Cleveland. However, if that's not the case, what do you guys think?

I've always liked his finishing close to the basket and mobility getting up and down the court. He spans quite a bit of space on lobs and on defense.

I think he'd give us flexibility should we want to go big inside with Nance at the 4, without loosing too much mobility in transition. Zizic is nice but not the most athletic. We'll also need some great help D if our guards are as bad at D as everybody says (they'd have to play up and under their opponent if too short, allowing more penetration).

Not sure how he'd fit Beilein schemes, and the fact that he's not happy in Sac town is a concern of it's own, but they do have Bagley. Seems like he's paid his dues first few years in the league, and might be ready to play bigger minutes and role.

For those of you trying to get rid of Tristan, these are the type of situations (not necessarily this exact one) that I think it's worth holding on to TT for until situations on other teams pop up. There might be an opportunity to steal somebody due to circumstances if we can hold on to him until that situation comes up. He's not worth getting rid of just to get rid of. He will be a sellable trade target for teams that think they're ready to take those next steps or add a proven product inside as they move forward to try to compete, even with that contract.

Not sure what Cauley-Stein will be looking for in free agency, or if he can get sign and traded. But if he fits in Cleveland, Tristan and Love won't be our inside guys forever, and they should consider getting younger inside with this opportunity imo.

Henson is an excellent Center. Probably better than Cauley-Stein.
Kevin Love finna get traded
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#93 » by Richfield » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:22 pm

I actually used to want Henson on the Cavs since he was in college. Forgot we have him now. Will he be staying? Can't get a read on that. He gets mentioned in contract trades a lot.

Also I think Cauley-Stein is a step up, physically speaking. Henson might be a better fit in an offense that flows the way ours supposedly will.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#94 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:30 pm

This is not what you want to see as a fan base.

Read on Twitter
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#95 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:56 pm

Leonard going to the Clippers is good for the Cavs. Lakers now have $32M in cap space and no players. We've got a ton of expiring players.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#96 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:03 pm

not too mention there will be a tone of interest in dumping recently acquired draft assets by OKC for a allstar (Love)to pair with Russel Westbrook. There also is a possibility Toronto tries to retool losing not only Kawhi but Green.
I could see Clarkson being a target of a team like Toronto
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#97 » by gflem » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:43 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Leonard going to the Clippers is good for the Cavs. Lakers now have $32M in cap space and no players. We've got a ton of expiring players.

KLove to Lakers....if only they had anything left to give up.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#98 » by Revenged25 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:12 pm

gflem wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Leonard going to the Clippers is good for the Cavs. Lakers now have $32M in cap space and no players. We've got a ton of expiring players.

Well there is Kuzma...
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:04 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
gflem wrote:

Well there is Kuzma...
Lakers tried playing Kuzma at PF last year. He's a SF.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:14 pm

The Lakers have managed to completely screw up their roster again and this time they're handing out two-year deals. They brought back McGee, Rondo, and KCP. Danny Green is a decent get but that is not a team-friendly deal. Cousins is good signing for the money, but the just put another combustible factor into the mix. They've got nothing at PG. The entire thing could go sideways very quickly and they only have Kuzma as a trade asset if they need to reshape that roster on the fly.

cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers