ImageImageImage

Welcome Ty Jerome!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,441

Re: Welcome Ty Jerome! 

Post#41 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:42 pm

Crives wrote:Offensively Jerome looks special.

Defense is what scares me. Good thing is he has decent size. Ideally he defends a pure 3 and D SG/SF on defense, while Bridges covers the lead guard.

Which again is why I think that Beverly would be a perfect mentor for him, Melton, as well as Jalen Lecque. Could you imagine if Jerome, using his high IQ and scrappiness became a plus defender under Beverly's tutelage? I mean obviously under a top notch NBA strength and conditioning program he'll undoubtedly get stronger and to a degree more athletic as a result too.

Even better, Jalen with his ridiculous athleticism and potential being mentored by Beverly and becoming a lockdown defender?? :o That'd be incredible for us honestly.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#42 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:49 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Defense is what scares me. Good thing is he has decent size. Ideally he defends a pure 3 and D SG/SF on defense, while Bridges covers the lead guard.

Which again is why I think that Beverly would be a perfect mentor for him, Melton, as well as Jalen Lecque. Could you imagine if Jerome, using his high IQ and scrappiness became a plus defender under Beverly's tutelage? I mean obviously under a top notch NBA strength and conditioning program he'll undoubtedly get stronger and to a degree more athletic as a result too.

Even better, Jalen with his ridiculous athleticism and potential being mentored by Beverly and becoming a lockdown defender?? :o That'd be incredible for us honestly.

Oh yeah. Bev can teach how to grab, kick, bite, smack people in the g-nads, and trip.

This mentor crap is just that. I have never seen it work. That is what you hire coaches for.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,054

Post#43 » by Crives » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:59 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Oh yeah. Bev can teach how to grab, kick, bite, smack people in the g-nads, and trip.

This mentor crap is just that. I have never seen it work. That is what you hire coaches for.

I agree good mentor may not directly help improve skills. But hustle defense is infectious, a guy like Bev set the tone on D and change the culture.... if he buys in.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#44 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:24 pm

Crives wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

I agree good mentor may not directly help improve skills. But hustle defense is infectious, a guy like Bev set the tone on D and change the culture.... if he buys in.

Um. I thought my sarcasm was obvious.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#45 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:32 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Yeah, Because it's totally ridiculous to think that rookies could learn from veterans and get better from having those same vets share their experience and techniques to get better results....lol.... If that were even remotely true, then why do players such as Hakeem Olajuwan ( Dream camp) , Kevin Garnett, Steve Nash, Tim Duncan even have camps and workshops for players in the offseason?

Also that's what coaches are for.....Sure to a degree, But if you look at the majority ( If not all) of the teams in the league, they have former players helping to work with and develop young players skillsets for their respective teams. Are you then insenuating that it's only possible for young players to learn from such veterans ONLY after they've retired? :lol:

It's simply ridiculous to make the assumption that younger players can't learn from and aren't at all impacted by tenured players on the same team.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1344432-10-best-current-player-mentors-in-the-nba.amp.html .

One last example-
https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2031580-13-veteran-players-assisting-younger-nba-stars-this-season.amp.html .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2031580-13-veteran-players-assisting-younger-nba-stars-this-season.amp.html . The point is that NBA teams bring in veteran players specifically for that purpose. We've even recently tried it with Holmes and Ayton. And intend to try it further with Baynes soon to be mentoring Ayton on what it means to be tougher and man up.

Whether or not you're able to identify such strategies or not , is really not a determining factor as to it's viability or use honestly. It happens, is a staple of rookie delopment in addition to player development personnel, and will continue to be a tool for further development.

Having said that, Beverly's toughness, tenacity, relentless motor and willingness to hold other players, even Booker and Ayton accountability would be invaluable to speeding up their development and overall toughness and competitive nature.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#46 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:34 am

jcsunsfan wrote:
Crives wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:Oh yeah. Bev can teach how to grab, kick, bite, smack people in the g-nads, and trip.

Um. I thought my sarcasm was obvious.

Sorry man, my bad.....it was a long day... :oops:
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Post#47 » by Saberestar » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:53 pm

Read on Twitter
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#48 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:20 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Really optimistic about this kid. Would be nice to see the new regime get off to a good start with its draft picks.
Villalobos
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,266

Post#49 » by Villalobos » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:33 pm

he moves/plays like 39 year old Ginobili, which isn't exactly a bad thing for a 24th pick in a bad draft
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,612

Post#50 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:39 pm

I love the skills the kid brings, I think he plays with very high IQ and I like his shooting abilities. I still have doubts about his level of athleticism. But we'll see how he matches up to NBA level athletes soon enough and hopefully prove me wrong
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#51 » by jcsunsfan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:57 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:I love the skills the kid brings, I think he plays with very high IQ and I like his shooting abilities. I still have doubts about his level of athleticism. But we'll see how he matches up to NBA level athletes soon enough and hopefully prove me wrong

His defense was a plus in college because he is big and smart. This stat list has been the best predictor of NBA abilities I have seen.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/ty-jerome
TheLogician
Sixth Man
And1: 1,532

Post#52 » by TheLogician » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:11 am

I'd rather have Jerome over someone like Dinwiddie. Better shooter and playmaker on rookie scale contract.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,612

Post#53 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:25 am

jcsunsfan wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I love the skills the kid brings, I think he plays with very high IQ and I like his shooting abilities. I still have doubts about his level of athleticism. But we'll see how he matches up to NBA level athletes soon enough and hopefully prove me wrong

His defense was a plus in college because he is big and smart. This stat list has been the best predictor of NBA abilities I have seen.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/ty-jerome

I'm not full entrenched into college basketball so I don't know in detail about each team's individual defensive schemes ie whether he was hidden, the scheme was elite and he made smart decisions or whether he was just a really damn good individual/team defender. Defense in college is always a little iffy to me, especially if the defensive stats aren't paired with either elite physical dimensions (esp wingspan) or elite athleticism that matches up to the NBA level. Very few good defenders in the league get by by just being smart. Dudley is one of those guys who was the definition of an un-athletic guy without elite wingspan that got by playing great D by being smart and having just good enough size.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,329

Post#54 » by TASTIC » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:26 am

TheLogician wrote:I'd rather have Jerome over someone like Dinwiddie. Better shooter and playmaker on rookie scale contract.

Seriously?

Dinwiddie walks right in after averaging 16.8pt 2.4reb 4.6ast 1.8x3pt 44% from the field 81% at the line (5.2 FTA) in only 28mpg and he's locked up until 2021-22 at $12m. Can't say Jerome is a better shooter when he hasn't hit a single NBA shot and Dinwiddie's hardly a bad shooter. I get the money thing, but Dinwiddie is ideally how you want Jerome to end up/hope he does...
TheLogician
Sixth Man
And1: 1,532

Post#55 » by TheLogician » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:23 am

TASTIC wrote:
TheLogician wrote:I'd rather have Jerome over someone like Dinwiddie. Better shooter and playmaker on rookie scale contract.

Seriously?

Dinwiddie walks right in after averaging 16.8pt 2.4reb 4.6ast 1.8x3pt 44% from the field 81% at the line (5.2 FTA) in only 28mpg and he's locked up until 2021-22 at $12m. Can't say Jerome is a better shooter when he hasn't hit a single NBA shot and Dinwiddie's hardly a bad shooter. I get the money thing, but Dinwiddie is ideally how you want Jerome to end up/hope he does...

I like Jerome's player profile a lot more. He's kind of a "can't fail" guy due to his intangibles and skill level.
ryanball
Sophomore
And1: 238

Post#56 » by ryanball » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:02 am

I'm hoping for the best. Athleticism is wildly overrated in the NBA right now. Plenty of amazing athletes who wash out of the league or barely linger on as bottom-feeders because they suck at basketball. I'll take someone who can play basketball over a guy who can jump good and has really long arms.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#57 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:58 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Yeah, Because it's totally ridiculous to think that rookies could learn from veterans and get better from having those same vets share their experience and techniques to get better results....lol.... If that were even remotely true, then why do players such as Hakeem Olajuwan ( Dream camp) , Kevin Garnett, Steve Nash, Tim Duncan even have camps and workshops for players in the offseason?

Also that's what coaches are for.....Sure to a degree, But if you look at the majority ( If not all) of the teams in the league, they have former players helping to work with and develop young players skillsets for their respective teams. Are you then insenuating that it's only possible for young players to learn from such veterans ONLY after they've retired? :lol:

It's simply ridiculous to make the assumption that younger players can't learn from and aren't at all impacted by tenured players on the same team.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1344432-10-best-current-player-mentors-in-the-nba.amp.html .

One last example-
https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2031580-13-veteran-players-assisting-younger-nba-stars-this-season.amp.html .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2031580-13-veteran-players-assisting-younger-nba-stars-this-season.amp.html . The point is that NBA teams bring in veteran players specifically for that purpose. We've even recently tried it with Holmes and Ayton. And intend to try it further with Baynes soon to be mentoring Ayton on what it means to be tougher and man up.

Whether or not you're able to identify such strategies or not , is really not a determining factor as to it's viability or use honestly. It happens, is a staple of rookie delopment in addition to player development personnel, and will continue to be a tool for further development.

Having said that, Beverly's toughness, tenacity, relentless motor and willingness to hold other players, even Booker and Ayton accountability would be invaluable to speeding up their development and overall toughness and competitive nature.

I am jaded by the Tyson Chandler experience. There are only a few players who really do the mentor role well. Jamal Crawford is one, but you can never assume ANY player will be a good mentor if he is not one already. The best they can hope from Baynes is that he pushes Ayton in practice--which I expect he will. But the mentor role in the NBA is way overblown.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#58 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:59 pm

TheLogician wrote:
TASTIC wrote:

Seriously?

I like Jerome's player profile a lot more. He's kind of a "can't fail" guy due to his intangibles and skill level.

Jerome is a 6-5 TJ McConnell--which is not bad at all.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#59 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:23 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:Oh yeah. Bev can teach how to grab, kick, bite, smack people in the g-nads, and trip.

One last example-

I am jaded by the Tyson Chandler experience. There are only a few players who really do the mentor role well. Jamal Crawford is one, but you can never assume ANY player will be a good mentor if he is not one already. The best they can hope from Baynes is that he pushes Ayton in practice--which I expect he will. But the mentor role in the NBA is way overblown.

I can agree with that to some extent. There are lousy mentors / tole models for young players, etc. Just as their are good mentors and role models for young players too. Ideally, Our front office can hopefully Identify the right players to bring in that would be good to great mentors for our young rookies and 2nd year players. It really sucks that there just aren't as many high character players nowadays as there were back when we had Nash, Grant Hill, etc.

But again, Hopefully our front office can have an astute eye in being selective in that regard. Hopefully they can also properly identify such a player from his character, as well as his body of work in the league over the years.

Which I believe is their mantra with it being said that they're targeting high character, high IQ players. But you're not totally wrong in the assertion that it's overrated, but that's a byproduct of the shallow , ego driven me first, take the easy route to success ( Superteam) perspective. And that's only amplified by these big market teams collusion and tampering, and lack of accountability and parity as well. :-?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#60 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:14 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
TheLogician wrote:
TASTIC wrote:Seriously?

Jerome is a 6-5 TJ McConnell--which is not bad at all.

I love TJ McConnell but Jerome is miles better than TJ was coming out of college and probably will be better on day one than TJ is now.

Return to Phoenix Suns