ImageImageImage

No More Wine!

Moderator: ijspeelman

Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

No More Wine! 

Post#1 » by Richfield » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:34 am

Cavs fans, it's time to rejuvenate the Cavs. Of course I'm talking about transitioning out of the Wine and Gold once again.

My personal favorite Cavs colors are the White, Orange, and Blue. I think they have a brighter energy that inspires and energizes. Even in the few game Cavs played with orange and blue last season or two, there was something special in the air. I don't know about that zig zag thing, but color-wise, that was a change for the better.

I don't know what goes in to the organization's decision to transition colors. All I know is we've done it before. We will do it again. I believe now is the right time. We can always don the Wine and Gold for special retro nights. But on the average night, I want the Cavs at peak energy and that crowd poppin', loud, flags and towels waiving, and pep in our steps.

Personally, I see maroon or wine as a tired color. It's part of our history so I will always enjoy seeing people still wearing them. But it's already associated with two eras of Cavaliers basketball. Perhaps white, orange, and blue deserves a second chance as well. The energy in Richfield Coliseum in the late 80's early 90's was undeniable. Those guys played together in a way that we will be striving for moving forward.

The switch to sky blue and black in the later 90's when Cavs were bad wasn't my cup of tea, and I've missed the Cavs in their best colors ever since.

Mr James did a nice job of bringing back the Wine and Gold. But that era is over. We are entering a new era once again.

I would even be open to a newer set of colors, as long as it transitions away from the current. Hopefully they'd be unique to the Cavs. Or perhaps there is some combination of select colors from all the Cavs era's that could be put together just right. I am not a color way artist. So I won't be posting all of my favorites of the past or suggestions for the future. But I am a lifelong Cavs fan and I know that it's time to make this change.

How can we get this done?
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Re: No More Wine! 

Post#2 » by substancej » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:43 pm

I personally don't like white, orange and blue. It's generic. The Knicks and Thunder both use white, orange and blue. No other teams have wine and gold.
Kevin Love finna get traded
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by Richfield » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:09 pm

substancej wrote:I personally don't like white, orange and blue. It's generic. The Knicks and Thunder both use white, orange and blue. No other teams have wine and gold.

I'll take anything else. Even if we could just use the current navy with gold trim for away, and white or gold primarily for home. Open to suggestions that take wine out of the equation as the main color. Or as the secondary color. A little bit of wine trim I'll get over it.

Any suggestions for new or stay put?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:06 pm

Yeah, I'm keeping the wine and gold if it's up to me.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:04 pm

wine is better with age...
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by Richfield » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:24 pm

Stillwater wrote:wine is better with age...

Unless it's been opened, twice.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:31 pm

Richfield wrote:
Stillwater wrote:wine is better with age...

Unless it's been opened twice.

or never
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#8 » by gflem » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:26 pm

Prefer the Wine and Gold in some form. Never really was a fan of the orange and blue. Leave that for the Knicks.
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#9 » by afarmenian » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:46 pm

bring back the blue stripe!
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by Richfield » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:57 am

afarmenian wrote:bring back the blue stripe!

Even though I disagree with you on the details, I agree with you on the CHANGE, and want to post this anyway.

Miss this guy..

Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by Richfield » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:03 am

These are hot.. but they need the shorts to more dark involved, more navy on the trim..

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#12 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:29 pm

Richfield wrote:Cavs fans, it's time to rejuvenate the Cavs. Of course I'm talking about transitioning out of the Wine and Gold once again.

You sound like the Cavs are a moribund franchise stuck in a malaise, not a high-end brand that just went to the finals 4x and won the cities first championship in 50+ years. lol

Keep the Wine & Gold.
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by Richfield » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:47 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Richfield wrote:Cavs fans, it's time to rejuvenate the Cavs. Of course I'm talking about transitioning out of the Wine and Gold once again.

You sound like the Cavs are a moribund franchise stuck in a malaise, not a high-end brand that just went to the finals 4x and won the cities first championship in 50+ years. lol

Keep the Wine & Gold.

Malaise is exactly how I would describe how Cavs started the first halves of the past 3 or 4 seasons, either in "switch off mode" for the majority of them, and last year in "Coach Lue doesn't want to be here and we're going to sh*t on our rookie directly to the media for the first few months of the year".

In those first few, with LeBron, that malaise might have been the difference between building great chemistry and rhythm to achieve the ultimate goal, another Championship, instead of falling just short, again.

Last year, in the second half of the season, we were lucky enough to have a hungry young rookie that never believed the doubters and returning spirited Kevin Love combined with a coach who knew how to stay the course and just grow a little better every day, without getting too down or scapegoating others, as had been the previous culture.

So yeah, I think these guys deserve their own look, their own identity, that doesn't involve the high-malaise maroon (wine) color that reminds of regular season starts of the past.

Still amazed at how Cavs fans are so satisfied with just that one ring, and use it to excuse for all the other trash that happened around it. Not getting back on defense (because we had a ring), giving minimal effort until february (because we had a ring), and finding ways to blame others for anything that could go wrong instead of staying focused on the possibilities of another ring (because we had a ring).

Cavs could have won more than one ring with LeBron James in the 10 or whatever years he played for them. But with low expectations, and satisfaction with just the one, I don't expect anybody to agree with that. After all, you have your one ring. All else doesn't matter, even the future.

These young guns know better, they're hungry, and won't take the first half of the season for granted, and will try to win games off the bat. For that, I believe they deserve their own era, which uniforms do a great job of defining when you change them up.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#14 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:13 pm

Richfield wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Keep the Wine & Gold.

Malaise is exactly how I would describe how Cavs started the first halves of the past 3 or 4 seasons, either in "switch off mode" for the majority of them, and last year in "Coach Lue doesn't want to be here and we're going to sh*t on our rookie directly to the media for the first few months of the year".

In those first few, with LeBron, that malaise might have been the difference between building great chemistry and rhythm to achieve the ultimate goal, another Championship, instead of falling just short, again.

Last year, in the second half of the season, we were lucky enough to have a hungry young rookie that never believed the doubters and returning spirited Kevin Love combined with a coach who knew how to stay the course and just grow a little better every day, without getting too down or scapegoating others, as had been the previous culture.

So yeah, I think these guys deserve their own look, their own identity, that doesn't involve the high-malaise maroon (wine) color that reminds of regular season starts of the past.

Still amazed at how Cavs fans are so satisfied with just that one ring, and use it to excuse for all the other trash that happened around it. Not getting back on defense (because we had a ring), giving minimal effort until february (because we had a ring), and finding ways to blame others for anything that could go wrong instead of staying focused on the possibilities of another ring (because we had a ring).

Cavs could have won more than one ring with LeBron James in the 10 or whatever years he played for them. But with low expectations, and satisfaction with just the one, I don't expect anybody to agree with that. After all, you have your one ring. All else doesn't matter, even the future.

These young guns know better, they're hungry, and won't take the first half of the season for granted, and will try to win games off the bat. For that, I believe they deserve their own era, which uniforms do a great job of defining when you change them up.

You'd have made a better argument if you argued that these new guys didn't deserve to wear the Wine and Gold, that they should earn it first; but team colors do not define an era. The Cavs never should have switched away from the W&G in the first place, and they should be proud to wear it.

I can guarantee they have ZERO association between the uniform and sleeping through the regular season.
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by Richfield » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:19 pm

Whatever you say, you're the boss JonFromVa.
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#16 » by Richfield » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:50 pm

Alright, I'll concede on the wine if it's got some blue mixed in. Not sure why the blue makes them so much better. In fact I like these when they have blue too.

And it makes sense to bring all the eras together too, wine gold and blue.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers