Two way contracts and second round picks question

Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Two way contracts and second round picks question 

Post#1 » by Roddy B for 3 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:38 am

Can a team sign second round picks to guaranteed contracts for multiple years and keep them on the roster as two way players?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: Two way contracts and second round picks question 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:23 am

A team can try to do a two-way contract for up to 2 years, within the financial limits of a 2 way contract. 2nd round picks qualify (among others) for such an offer. But whether a player agrees to that is negotiable.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,681

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Thu May 7, 2020 1:04 am

DBoys wrote:A team can try to do a two-way contract for up to 2 years, within the financial limits of a 2 way contract. 2nd round picks qualify (among others) for such an offer. But whether a player agrees to that is negotiable.

If it's true that two-way eligibility is for any player who has four years of NBA experience or fewer, can a player be signed to a two-way contract more than once? Thanks.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#4 » by DBoys » Thu May 7, 2020 4:49 am

GREY 1769 wrote:If it's true that two-way eligibility is for any player who has four years of NBA experience or fewer, can a player be signed to a two-way contract more than once? Thanks.

"If it's true that two-way eligibility is for any player who has four years of NBA experience or fewer"....If I'm not mistaken, the cutoff is 3 years of NBA service.

"...can a player be signed to a two-way contract more than once?"

Are you asking how many separate 2-way deals can a player do? Or with a certain team and one individual player?

As long as they don't have more than 3 years of NBA service, as I understand it, they can keep signing and signing, if teams keep offering. Obviously there are timing issues and desirability issues that get in the way of a player signing many 2-way deals, but in theory afaik there 's almost no limit to how many 2-way deals a player can sign.

With a single team, there can only be 2-way deals made between a player and that one team covering all or part of 3 (separate) seasons.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,681

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Thu May 7, 2020 5:16 am

DBoys wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:If it's true that two-way eligibility is for any player who has four years of NBA experience or fewer, can a player be signed to a two-way contract more than once? Thanks.

"If it's true that two-way eligibility is for any player who has four years of NBA experience or fewer"....If I'm not mistaken, the cutoff is 3 years of NBA service.

"...can a player be signed to a two-way contract more than once?"

Are you asking how many separate 2-way deals can a player do? Or with a certain team and one individual player?

As long as they don't have more than 3 years of NBA service, as I understand it, they can keep signing and signing, if teams keep offering. Obviously there are timing issues and desirability issues that get in the way of a player signing many 2-way deals, but in theory afaik there 's almost no limit to how many 2-way deals a player can sign.

With a single team, there can only be 2-way deals made between a player and that one team covering all or part of 3 (separate) seasons.

Thanks. We have two players on two-way contracts who will be entering RFA status (spotrac.com also lists their respective QOs) and I wasn't sure if re-signing on two-way deals again was allowed (ie/ if there were other conditions besides years of service). It sounds like the answer is yes since each falls within the three years of service period - one will be entering his third year with us; the other, his second. I appreciate the info.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:

Return to CBA & Business