Cavs 2019-2020 Regular Season

Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,079

Re: Cavs 2019 off-season 

Post#41 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Richfield wrote:Clarkson firing agent, hiring Klutch Sports.

What are the implications for the Cavs, if any?

Does this accelerate his departure?

Expand his list destinations or reduce it?

It reduces his trade value IMO. From the perspective of the receiving team, he's now just a good expiring. You're not trading for him and hoping to re-sign him on a team-friendly deal. Next summer was already going to be an overpay summer.

I'd like to get value for TT and Clarkson this season. I'd even take on a two-year deal if the pick consideration was right. I genuinely like both guys and there were games last season when Love was hurt when they looked like only NBA players on the roster. But, I don't see either one in the Cavs long-term plans.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#42 » by Richfield » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:41 am

Stanley Johnson just got cut by Pelicans.

Any interest?

He's not an answer to our future starting spot on the wing I don't think, but maybe could get more out of him than others, give him a new system to try, and see if we can grow his value for use off the bench or for a future trade.

Porter Jr should be getting minutes there. Also Cedi, not sure how long we hold on to him? Or if Stanley plays at the 4 spot much, maybe if we go small. I don't think Johnson has much post game, more of a slasher and a defender, decent in transition? Not much handles I don't think, correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe not quite a Beilein system guy with those handles but I don't know his system all that much to be honest.

Thoughts?
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,365

Post#43 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:22 pm

Richfield wrote:Stanley Johnson just got cut by Pelicans.

Any interest?

He's not an answer to our future starting spot on the wing I don't think, but maybe could get more out of him than others, give him a new system to try, and see if we can grow his value for use off the bench or for a future trade.

Porter Jr should be getting minutes there. Also Cedi, not sure how long we hold on to him? Or if Stanley plays at the 4 spot much, maybe if we go small. I don't think Johnson has much post game, more of a slasher and a defender, decent in transition? Not much handles I don't think, correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe not quite a Beilein system guy with those handles but I don't know his system all that much to be honest.

Thoughts?

Until proven otherwise, it seems the Beilein-era will be defined by the question: "Can he shoot?"

and Stanley really can't.

Given that, I can't see why they'd want to take minutes away from Cedi let alone KPJ or Nwaba to try to develop Johnson.
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#44 » by Richfield » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:31 pm

And Windlerrrrrrrr...

So you think we hold onto both Nwaba and Cedi the whole season?
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#45 » by Stillwater » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:14 pm

Richfield wrote:And Windlerrrrrrrr...

I think Nwaba walks before the season, Cedi remains in the Starting Lineup until outplayed.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:25 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Richfield wrote:And Windlerrrrrrrr...

I think Nwaba walks before the season, Cedi remains in the Starting Lineup until outplayed.

If Nwaba walks, I've got not problem taking a flyer on Johnson. You really need at least one decent wing defender for both the starting line up and the bench.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:56 pm

Sounds like the Cavs are doing Nwaba a favor and renouncing his rights. That really sucks. I wish they had to tried to buyout Knight, Delly and others to open up enough cap space to at least make a team-friendly offer.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#48 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:50 pm

I'd like to see the Cavs go after Capela for Smith esp if Kawhi goes West where Houston is desperate enough to give up Capela just to get more space go after Butler sign and trade for Gordon and Tucker.
Capela could be moved for better value next summer if it doesn't work out with beileins system and makes a lot of sense if they have takers and more important no plans to keep TT and Henson.
The only hitch is Smith having to be moved asap and Houston may not be willing to do that if Kawhi stays in the east.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#49 » by gflem » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:59 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Richfield wrote:Stanley Johnson just got cut by Pelicans.

Any interest?

Thoughts?

Until proven otherwise, it seems the Beilein-era will be defined by the question: "Can he shoot?"

and Stanley really can't.

Given that, I can't see why they'd want to take minutes away from Cedi let alone KPJ or Nwaba to try to develop Johnson.

Not much interest imo. He will likely be looked at by the Lakers, as will any decent NBA bench player. They need guys like Johnson to fill out their roster.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:32 pm

Stillwater wrote:I'd like to see the Cavs go after Capela for Smith esp if Kawhi goes West where Houston is desperate enough to give up Capela just to get more space go after Butler sign and trade for Gordon and Tucker.
Capela could be moved for better value next summer if it doesn't work out with beileins system and makes a lot of sense if they have takers and more important no plans to keep TT and Henson.
The only hitch is Smith having to be moved asap and Houston may not be willing to do that if Kawhi stays in the east.
Altman was prett clear that the Cavs aren't going back into the tax unless the return is a premium. I'm guessing they think it could cost them that Bucks pick to unload guys at the end of FA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#51 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:37 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I'd like to see the Cavs go after Capela for Smith esp if Kawhi goes West where Houston is desperate enough to give up Capela just to get more space go after Butler sign and trade for Gordon and Tucker.
Altman was prett clear that the Cavs aren't going back into the tax unless the return is a premium. I'm guessing they think it could cost them that Bucks pick to unload guys at the end of FA.

I am hoping they can swap Smith for Capela and have deals to unload Henson and or TT to stay out of the tax, If not then yeah not much point in taking Capela except that he is an upgrade to all centers on the roster and if it only cost them Smith it would be worth staying in the tax to me even though it wouldn't happen .
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#52 » by Stillwater » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:35 pm

Cavs should bring Malachi Richardson ( so far a complete bust) in for training camp assuming he isn't picked up by another team first(doubtful), I think he could revitalize his career under Beilein as a solid 3/D role player with sneaky flashes of high caliber open court dominance ( once or twice a week )
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 9:18 pm

It's early, but we probably need to clear one of Henson/TT so Bolden can get some minutes. Wade looked solid too but we could use a backup PF.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#54 » by Stillwater » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:08 pm

jbk1234 wrote:It's early, but we probably need to clear one of Henson/TT so Bolden can get some minutes. Wade looked solid too but we could use a backup PF.

yeah I thought it was interesting they signed both of them to 2-way deals before summerleague.
Not sure who else on the Cavs sl roster that isn't already part of the org in some facet really has much chance of making the roster, unless Bolden for example has his contract converted to a full contract opening up another 2-way spot.
Personally I think other than bulking up Bolden is a gem in that his bbiq is solid for his age unlike most undrafted bigs who are projects.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:46 pm

LOL at the Cavs having the highest payroll in the league rn. The return on the JR trade would have to be astronomical to be worth it.

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1148282755089756166&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D1850727%26start%3D1340
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:39 pm

Luxury tax move.
Read on Twitter
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#57 » by Revenged25 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Interesting move by both sides and the article did shed some light on possible reasons for how it played out. Realizing your current perception and willing to help the team that is giving you an opportunity shows a lot of growth and maturity. Hopefully it continues and we are in the position where we want to give him a max contract in a few years.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#58 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:58 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254843/Celtics-Waive-Guerschon-Yabuselelooks like the Dancing Bear is available... still has some solid upside and would be a nice pickup for us...I mean it's difficult to gauge his value given his per 36 numbers are really good but he rarely saw the court for Boston. I would definitely give him that 15th roster spot.
If you don't know this guy here is a couple highlights from 17-18:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:23 pm

Stillwater wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254843/Celtics-Waive-Guerschon-Yabuselelooks like the Dancing Bear is available... still has some solid upside and would be a nice pickup for us...I mean it's difficult to gauge his value given his per 36 numbers are really good but he rarely saw the court for Boston. I would definitely give him that 15th roster spot.
If you don't know this guy here is a couple highlights from 17-18:
Yeah, I don't know about that. Boston drafted him and didn't want him to have the bust label. They're really, really thin at PF. If they cut him loose in spite of all of that, it's not a good sign.

Also, read the reviews on the Celtics board. Yikes.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#60 » by NatiboyB » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:34 pm

shouldn't we have moved or waived JR Smith by now even with that agreement for a few extra days? also I'd bring Criss back before Yabu.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers