ImageImageImage

Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#21 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Green89 wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Is someone else leaving or are they just creating a new role?

Either way, great opportunity for Lawson and I think the team will definitely benefit having her here. Congrats!

If I understand correctly, they can have more coaches, but they can't all sit on the bench during games at once.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#22 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:41 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
London2Boston wrote:That’s nice and all, but can we get a Vet NBA coach to help Brad manage the locker room next?

Yep, she and the other new guy could both be very good. But where is the NBA vet (and especially big man!) player or coaching experience that IMO should really be added to his staff? And yeah, should probably be another African-American, too.

Perk would be good as a Big's coach.
Not sure they have to be African-American, though.

I wouldn't generally think that and it sounds like they're shipping out the malcontents anyway. But after the resentment over Stevens and Hayward I think it is reasonable to wonder whether there was anything the players might have perceived as race-related as well. And I may be wrong, but with Waltah and Micah gone, I think Jerome Allen might be the only A-A on the coaching staff.

With majority minority-roster sports it seems as if there is at least some effort made to see proactively if they can find minority coaches to hire, for at least reasonable representation, by making an affirmative effort in that direction. And in this day and age it is hard to believe an argument that Brad couldn't find a qualified African-American other than Jerome for his staff.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,772

Post#23 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:56 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Yep, she and the other new guy could both be very good. But where is the NBA vet (and especially big man!) player or coaching experience that IMO should really be added to his staff? And yeah, should probably be another African-American, too.

I wouldn't generally think that and it sounds like they're shipping out the malcontents anyway. But after the resentment over Stevens and Hayward I think it is reasonable to wonder whether there was anything the players might have perceived as race-related as well. And I may be wrong, but with Waltah and Micah gone, I think Jerome Allen might be the only A-A on the coaching staff.

Kara Lawson is AA.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#24 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:01 pm

Fwiw assistant coaches have actual responsibilities as far as scouting and game plans, no? You need people who can do that well and quickly - so if you bring on Perkins just to stare down Jaylen Brown or whoever, he’s probably not ready for the rest of the job yet.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#25 » by canman1971 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:07 pm

Can we focus on the super cool hire of a person who is qualified for a position that the Celtics wanted to fill without bringing up the freaking super all star Perkins? I mean, people come on?
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#26 » by canman1971 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:08 pm

GregB wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:What? A girl who never played in the NBA? Some unknown college coach from Rhode Island and now this? What is the Celtics coaching staff coming to? Fire Stevens immediately!

Sarcasm?

Pretty sure he laid it on extremely thick on that one.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,772

Post#27 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:21 pm

I'm just laughing at the notion that the Celtics need some sort of NBA veteran on the staff, even if he can't coach.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#28 » by GregB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:29 pm

canman1971 wrote:
GregB wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:What? A girl who never played in the NBA? Some unknown college coach from Rhode Island and now this? What is the Celtics coaching staff coming to? Fire Stevens immediately!

Sarcasm?

Pretty sure he laid it on extremely thick on that one.

Lol sometimes I’m just not sure with Curm.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#29 » by Edug27 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:33 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:I'm just laughing at the notion that the Celtics need some sort of NBA veteran on the staff, even if he can't coach.

If you have strange, difficult personalities like Kyrie on the roster.. sure.. but it’s a better idea to remove and avoid those personalities
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,894

Post#30 » by CelticsPride18 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:34 pm

Great hire.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#31 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:09 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Fwiw assistant coaches have actual responsibilities as far as scouting and game plans, no? You need people who can do that well and quickly - so if you bring on Perkins just to stare down Jaylen Brown or whoever, he’s probably not ready for the rest of the job yet.

Perk may well not be the guy. Just his wild quotes could do him in.

But that by no means means there is nobody other than Jerome Allen as a competent, African-American basketball coach to be found for their staff. Or one with NBA experience, either playing or coaching.

And yes, I think stuff like that sometimes matters. Absolutely nothing against Kara Lawson.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#32 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:12 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Perk would be good as a Big's coach.

Kara Lawson is AA.

Ha--a quick google and it didn't look like that initially to me. But she's also a Sidwell Friends girl. Not necessarily someone who has had the experience of a lot of these young guys. Still I do think it matters to the point of that being better. I imagine that would make her the first female AA NBA coaching hire?
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#33 » by 15th overall » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:31 pm

She seems more than qualified and I'm sure she'll do a great job but I'd rather not celebrate her having a vagina as if it will help the team I root for succeed somehow. It won't, this is just as irrelevant as any other assistant coaching hire.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,202

Post#34 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:32 am

Read on Twitter
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,279

Post#35 » by chrisab123 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:46 am

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I like the hire but this tweet is troubling. This team desperately needs a veteran coach. Yes Brad is but I'd kill to throw the brinks truck at Ron Adams or even Thibs.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#36 » by return2glory » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:50 am

For some reason, I’ve always like her. She is a winner.
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#37 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:37 am

LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#38 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:45 am

chrisab123 wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I like the hire but this tweet is troubling. This team desperately needs a veteran coach. Yes Brad is but I'd kill to throw the brinks truck at Ron Adams or even Thibs.
Honestly I don't think most veteran coaches know how to coach this generation. Thibs clearly had issues with it the past few years.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#39 » by djFan71 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:51 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Cool news. But, I'm not sure I get the math? How is 8 1/10th of the league? 30 teams, more than 80 coaches, so????
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#40 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:22 am

Parliament10 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
London2Boston wrote:That’s nice and all, but can we get a Vet NBA coach to help Brad manage the locker room next?

Perk only meets some African-American stereotypes anyway -- he's not from an inner city, and he never was able to jump. :)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics