ImageImageImage

Danny Ainge is an incredible GM

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Danny Ainge is an incredible GM 

Post#1 » by sam_I_am » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:48 pm

Ainge deserves criticism for bad picks, lost opportunities, failed trades, failure to win more titles with Big 3 etc.

However, his ability to fix a horrific salary cap situation when he first arrived and turn that into the Big 3 in a mere 5 years was astonishing. When Big 3 collapsed and Doc bailed on us, he responded with Brad Stevens and Nets trade. He then stole IT and Boston became a free agent destination for first time ever. Tatum trade was a coup. He then had a team with 3 stars, 3 young lottery talents, and more lottery picks in the pipeline. Despite bad luck with Hayward and Kyrie injuries team comes within a game of finals.

Then this past season the team imploded and our stars started jumping ship 1 week before draft.

If he turns that shocking downturn around by signing Kemba Walker.....wow.....just wow. Say what you want about individual draft picks and complain about the results. But this guy is always positioned for a home run. Antoine Walker was right. He is a dangerous snake....always ready to strike and it looks like he is doing it again.

Will it lead to the pinnacle of success we all crave - banner 18? Who knows and that is how we must ultimately judge him. However to have a GM that positions the organization to overcome blindsiding adversity with such dexterity is truly special. With all the vultures on ESPN like Stephen Smith and Jay Williams lining up to kick Ainge when he’s down it’s going to be awesome come July 1 when Ainge’s plan becomes fully apparent to see them eat crow.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,922

Re: Danny Ainge is an incredible GM 

Post#2 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:59 pm

Yes, all that is true but... Fire Ainge!
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,662

Post#3 » by The Corey's » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:01 pm

Let's give him to the end of the week before we get crazy people.

Also, fire ainge.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#4 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:09 pm

He's all I want in a GM. Always building the roster so that when opportunity arises he can take advantage. He acquired Tyler Zeller and a first round pick (for nothing) because the Cavs needed to clear a couple mil for LeBron. And then used that first round pick to get IT. Turned nothing into IT, then turned that into Kyrie. Kyrie didn't work out, but hey, you gave up almost nothing for him. Signed Horford and Hayward, nothing has come of that because of freak injury. If Hayward doesn't ruin his ankle 5 minutes into his contract, this team is so different right now.

He turned Avery Bradley into Marcus Morris. Saved money, AB instantly turned into one of the worst players in the NBA, and while I loathe everything about Morris, he's certainly better than AB.

Quibble with some draft picks (go look around the NBA, every team drafts like **** over a 15+ year span), but you can't quibble with the way he builds a roster to be flexible or almost any of his trades (what's the last trade he definitively lost?)

The last 3-4 years we've gone into each offseason with a possibility of either reboot or retool or go for it and he's been able to ride the line and sort of do all three and he's acquired future draft capital every year. Maybe some would prefer he go more 'ALL-IN', but I'd rather have a competitive team for 10-15 years with 1 championship in there, than go all in like the Rockets and come up just shy 3 years in a row and have a long drought ahead. Or go look at the Raptors, they wen't all-in on Kawhi and were obviously rewarded, but what if he just leaves? They're ****. The margins are razor-thin when you go all-in and construct a team with a potential 1-year window like that. Sometimes it pays off, usually it doesn't. Maybe Kawhi stays, but that's a big risk. Maybe he never recovers from injury. Toronto took a chance and it worked. Celtics take that chance and Kawhi probably breaks his leg in the preseason. Celtics don't have the luxury of just sucking ass like the Lakers, but it not mattering because, "lmao we're the lakers and every good young player wants to live in LA."

That said, fire the bum, he missed out on Giannis, Dragan Bender, and Sekou Doumbouya.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#5 » by OldCeltics » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:24 pm

We highly overrate Ainge. Average drafter, was gifted KG by McHale. Other than that he's gathered and hoarded asses, till he lost a bunch of them.

However, I'd prefer him over anyone else.
sam_I_am
RealGM

Post#6 » by sam_I_am » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:27 pm

OldCeltics wrote:We highly over rate Ainge. However, I'd prefer him over anyone else.

I think we underrate him because we once had a GM go 40 years - 1951 to 1990 - where the team never went more than 5 years without winning a title! Probably would have been 50 years were it not for death of Len Bias.

Nobody can ever live up to Auerbach’s legacy. Bill Belechek would have to keep Pats run going another 20 years to even come close.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#7 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:12 pm

sam_I_am wrote:Ainge deserves criticism for bad picks, lost opportunities, failed trades, failure to win more titles with Big 3 etc.

However, his ability to fix a horrific salary cap situation when he first arrived and turn that into the Big 3 in a mere 5 years was astonishing. When Big 3 collapsed and Doc bailed on us, he responded with Brad Stevens and Nets trade. He then stole IT and Boston became a free agent destination for first time ever. Tatum trade was a coup. He then had a team with 3 stars, 3 young lottery talents, and more lottery picks in the pipeline. Despite bad luck with Hayward and Kyrie injuries team comes within a game of finals.

Then this past season the team imploded and our stars started jumping ship 1 week before draft.

If he turns that shocking downturn around by signing Kemba Walker.....wow.....just wow. Say what you want about individual draft picks and complain about the results. But this guy is always positioned for a home run. Antoine Walker was right. He is a dangerous snake....always ready to strike and it looks like he is doing it again.

Will it lead to the pinnacle of success we all crave - banner 18? Who knows and that is how we must ultimately judge him. However to have a GM that positions the organization to overcome blindsiding adversity with such dexterity is truly special. With all the vultures on ESPN like Stephen Smith and Jay Williams lining up to kick Ainge when he’s down it’s going to be awesome come July 1 when Ainge’s plan becomes fully apparent to see them eat crow.

timpiker
Senior
And1: 428

Post#8 » by timpiker » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:49 pm

Trust in Danny
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#9 » by ParticleMan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:53 pm

Ainge. The worst GM, except for all the other ones.

(apologies to winston)
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,283

Post#10 » by brackdan70 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:50 pm

I came here to say fire Ainge but some of you have a similar sense of humor.

Dude is a solid GM though but I worry about his health. Hopefully with Kyrie gone the blood pressure goes down a bit, and no more heart attacks.
Sign here
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,680

Post#11 » by SLCceltic » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:55 pm

OldCeltics wrote:We highly overrate Ainge. Average drafter, was gifted KG by McHale. Other than that he's gathered and hoarded asses, till he lost a bunch of them.

Which assets did Ainge lose ??
ROYALGREEN
sam_I_am
RealGM

Post#12 » by sam_I_am » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:13 am

OldCeltics wrote:We highly overrate Ainge. Average drafter, was gifted KG by McHale. Other than that he's gathered and hoarded asses, till he lost a bunch of them.

Gifted by McHale .... even though Al Jefferson alone was worth more than entire package NO got for a much younger in his prime Anthony Davis.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#13 » by Dannyboy36 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:14 am

Everyone keeps saying this but it was the best trade package available back for Minnesota. At the time, Al Jefferson looked like something much more.
MyBoyBlu
Junior
And1: 283

Post#14 » by MyBoyBlu » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:17 am

I mean this team is losing Kyrie/Al/Morris/Baynes/Rozier and gaining Kemba and a 4.7 MLE player. In no way shape or form is this team better than last year nor a contender this year and very likely next year.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,537

Post#15 » by Kalela » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:33 am

I hope you are right. So far this off season it is not looking good. If he manages to sign/trade for a starting level big to replace Horford then I will praise him like you lot.
Fire Mazzulla
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#16 » by captain green » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:43 am

I think he is incredible, I hate some of his tendencies. But no one else maybe epestien I'd rather have, Jerry west is damn good to and Riley but to close to the lakers for me to not eventually bitch about it. I do think he goes to the end of Stevens contact and considers stepping down though.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,158

Post#17 » by chakdaddy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:43 am

sam_I_am wrote:

Gifted by McHale .... even though Al Jefferson alone was worth more than entire package NO got for a much younger in his prime Anthony Davis.

This
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,158

Post#18 » by chakdaddy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:46 am

Dannyboy36 wrote:

Everyone keeps saying this but it was the best trade package available back for Minnesota. At the time, Al Jefferson looked like something much more.

Meanwhile Gasol for Gasol turned out better for Memphis but was patent collusion at the time. (Couldn't even send Cardinal's contract? Crittenton over Farmar? Marc was a couple months removed from being a late 2nd round pick. They literally took the Lakers 3 most expendable assets without getting salary relief.)
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,689

Post#19 » by return2glory » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:11 am

MyBoyBlu wrote:I mean this team is losing Kyrie/Al/Morris/Baynes/Rozier and gaining Kemba and a 4.7 MLE player. In no way shape or form is this team better than last year nor a contender this year and very likely next year.

Kemba isn’t official. So let’s not go and jinx that.

Also if Kemba comes to play for Boston, it won’t be the last acquisition before the season starts. Let’s wait and see what happens.

My feeling is this team for 2019-2020 will be better than last years team.
OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Post#20 » by OFWGKTA » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:20 am

sam_I_am wrote:
OldCeltics wrote:We highly over rate Ainge. However, I'd prefer him over anyone else.

I think we underrate him because we once had a GM go 40 years - 1951 to 1990 - where the team never went more than 5 years without winning a title! Probably would have been 50 years were it not for death of Len Bias.

Nobody can ever live up to Auerbach’s legacy. Bill Belechek would have to keep Pats run going another 20 years to even come close.

Ehh I think the what Belichick has done in the salary cap era of the NFL puts him ahead.
Froob wrote:Friends is like Kyle Lowry, everyone says it's amazing but you sit down and watch it and you're just like meh...

GuyClinch wrote: Regulation is mostly to blame - also excessive medical costs.

Return to Boston Celtics