ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,828

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#341 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:04 pm

I'll wait until the full report is released as well as Mueller's testimony under oath in front of the house before making any judgment.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,790

Post#342 » by Rich Rane » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:15 pm

Mueller Report with redactions has released.
https://media.npr.org/assets/news/2019/04/muellerreport.pdf
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#343 » by gigantes » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:35 pm

I expect that extricating the whitewash layer (redactions) from this thing is something that will be going on for a long time. Apparently right from the start, Barr completely disregarded the summary findings across the various sections that Mueller's team had carefully prepared.

Even so, sounds like it's already fun:

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my Presidency. I'm f-cked." The president became angry and lambasted the Attorney General for his decision to recuse from the investigation, stating "How could you let this happen, Jeff?" The president said the position of Attourney General was his most important appointment and that Sessions had "let [him] down," contrasting him to Eric Holder and Robert Kennedy. Sessions recalled that after the President said to him, "you were supposed to protect me," or words to that effect. The president returned to the consequences of the appointment and said, "Everyone tells me if you get one of these independent counsels it ruins your presidency. It takes you years and years and I won't be able to do anything. This is the worst thing that has ever happened to me."

https://i.redd.it/0q07hehlm1t21.jpg
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#344 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:48 am

The people who were elected in to combat this crap are dropping the ball. This report details impeachable offense after impeachable offense. Barr's behavior is unquestionably impeachable. Yet, I've watched Nancy Pelosi do more to kneecap her progressive freshman congresswomen over the last two months than to oppose Trump, aside from her stern statements. The Dems, specifically the establishment old guard, sit back and watch the GOP lie, actively harm people, etc and they still conduct business like its 2009. Either they're crazy, or they are complicit, and based on Pelosi and Schumer's past history, I vote for the latter.

The Establishment Dems came out with more force to falsely label Rep. Omar as an antisemite for being critical of lobbyists dictating American foreign policy than they have to oppose Trump and the GOP basically tearing apart what's left of the republic. People want to pretend that Pelosi and co are playing some shrewd political version of chess when they look like they're just being run over left and right. Barr should have been held in contempt of congress three weeks ago FFS.

Good luck getting voters to turn out when you keep behaving like this. They think people aren't watching this unfold in real time and expect support at the polls while doing the bare minimum.

edit: my thoughts exactly-

Read on Twitter

gigantes
Starter

Post#345 » by gigantes » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:27 am

Maybe I'm wrong, but to me it seems like Pelosi is just trying to play pragmatics and the long-view. She's good at playing poker, not the first expert player of course, but the thing is, your hand is just your hand.

Shoving your available capital upon a righteous hand is all very well, except sometimes the other side knows they have more capital, no matter their particular hand. If that makes sense.

Aside from that-- it -does- seem that America has a huge, ongoing identity problem these days, and as we've seen, it's directly empowering the classic *** vote upon Drumpf, and more.

As I see it, the base of Trump-voters are vicious, crazy, and completely without morals. Not to mention, they're 'win at all costs' lifeforms. Them. These are directly the entitled crazies who are shifting things in multiple directions without conscience, such as helping elect the miserable orange wretch in the 1st place.

But more than that, they're helping other countries take hold of us and our best allies (like Canada and Australia) treasonably so, via China and Russia.

This whole thing is not 'some reasonable disagreement upon views'. The fact is, Trump is a squarely contemptible traitor, just like he's been for decades. These vaguely-human beings who elected him are also people who knew very well what kind of person he was from long ago IMO. It never mattered to them. They're 'win at all costs people', without shame, without morals.

Same as it's ever been.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#346 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:36 am

gigantes wrote:Maybe I'm wrong, but to me it seems like Pelosi is just trying to play pragmatics and the long-view. She's good at playing poker, not the first expert player of course, but the thing is, your hand is just your hand.

Shoving your available capital upon a righteous hand is all very well, except sometimes the other side knows they have more capital, no matter their particular hand. If that makes sense.

Aside from that-- it -does- seem that America has a huge, ongoing identity problem these days, and as we've seen, it's directly empowering the classic *** vote upon Drumpf, and more.

As I see it, the base of Trump-voters are vicious, crazy, and completely without morals. Not to mention, they're 'win at all costs' lifeforms. Them. These are directly the entitled crazies who are shifting things in multiple directions without conscience, such as helping elect the miserable orange wretch in the 1st place.

But more than that, they're helping other countries take hold of us and our best allies (like Canada and Australia) treasonably so, via China and Russia.

This whole thing is not 'some reasonable disagreement upon views'. The fact is, Trump is a squarely contemptible traitor, just like he's been for decades. These vaguely-human beings who elected him are also people who knew very well what kind of person he was from long ago IMO. It never mattered to them. They're 'win at all costs people', without shame, without morals.

Same as it's ever been.

I remember Pelosi's behavior last time when Bush II was lying to start wars, a lot of this is similar to me. After what I've been seeing I don't think she's playing the long game at all (and yes, I know, the Senate will not convict). I think she behaves like she's above all of this, and that's part of the problem with her and Schumer, they're so rich that none of this impacts them personally.

I'm just sick of Establishment Democrat leadership. They are gutless, ineffective, and they don't fight. They get rolled by the GOP who don't play by any rules. After seeing the way Rep Omar (whose life could be in danger) has been treated among other little microagressions from Pelosi's end, I've lost faith in her. I hope to be proven wrong but I don't think she has much interest in upholding her oath of office and putting a check on Trump's lawlessness.

If Obama did 1/10th of what was asserted in that report, he would have been impeached before the report even came out.

gigantes
Starter

Post#347 » by gigantes » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:36 pm

I mean, if that stuff is true about Pelosi, it's discouraging. But I'm not much of a politics wonk, so I really don't know.

Omar does seem borderline extremist, and perhaps not a good team player when they'd like her to be. She's not wrong that plenty of Muslims (and others, like Sikhs) wrongfully receive backlash for the actions of a few, but bringing up 9/11 seems like a very foolish move on her part. Not politically astute, unless you're trying to grandstand or something. I don't know.

As for Pelosi, Hillary and other Dems supporting Junior on something like the Iraq war, I can't hold that against them, politically. They were in a pressure-cooker at the time, being fed false information, probably looking at plenty of long-term political damage if they'd resisted. The fact that they got scorched anyway is ironic, but is again down to Cheney and co's manufactured bullsh-t.

One thing I don't quite understand, rationally-speaking, is why Elizabeth Warren isn't a more popular candidate. She seems like a far more reasonable choice than Sanders for example, altho maybe that's the death knell right there-- that the mass of voters no longer crave reasonable candidates.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#348 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:41 pm

gigantes wrote:I mean, if that stuff is true about Pelosi, it's discouraging. But I'm not much of a politics wonk, so I really don't know.

Omar does seem borderline extremist, and perhaps not a good team player when they'd like her to be. She's not wrong that plenty of Muslims (and others, like Sikhs) wrongfully receive backlash for the actions of a few, but bringing up 9/11 seems like a very foolish move on her part. Not politically astute, unless you're trying to grandstand or something. I don't know.

As for Pelosi, Hillary and other Dems supporting Junior on something like the Iraq war, I can't hold that against them, politically. They were in a pressure-cooker at the time, being fed false information, probably looking at plenty of long-term political damage if they'd resisted. The fact that they got scorched anyway is ironic, but is again down to Cheney and co's manufactured bullsh-t.

One thing I don't quite understand, rationally-speaking, is why Elizabeth Warren isn't a more popular candidate. She seems like a far more reasonable choice than Sanders for example, altho maybe that's the death knell right there-- that the mass of voters no longer crave reasonable candidates.

Elizabeth Warren is the only Dem I'm considering voting for right now in the primary. Her platform is solid. also, I don't want a centrist in office, I want someone that actually gives a damn.

I also don't really think Rep. Omar is an extremist at all...saying that there is something wrong with lobbyists having control over America's foreign policy when it comes to Israel is not an extremist position or antisemitism, it's telling the truth.

Also, regarding Nancy Pelosi:

Read on Twitter

^^^the longer she and other establishment dems keep playing this game where they refuse to do their jobs, the heavier price they will pay.

gigantes
Starter

Post#349 » by gigantes » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:33 am

MrDollarBills wrote:I also don't really think Rep. Omar is an extremist at all...saying that there is something wrong with lobbyists having control over America's foreign policy when it comes to Israel is not an extremist position or antisemitism, it's telling the truth.

That seems perfectly reasonable, altho such influence is also true across a huge range of issues and figures, and retooling our working relationship with Israel seems way down the list of priorities to me. There's also the fact that Israel is a special case, and I don't think it's wise to judge that nation by the same standards as others, and other allies. So, bottom line to me-- Israel doesn't seem like a smart, pragmatic target to me if I'm a US politician. *shrug*

Anyway, taking a brief look over her record, Omar does seem like a responsible, motivated person pursuing good causes. Her 9/11 comment in particular was mostly taken out of context, and therefore really isn't something people should be fairly holding against her IMO. I therefore take back what I said about her being an 'extremist,' with the caveat that she might be crossing the line with the Israel stuff.

I take my opinion on her pretty lightly tho, since I barely know who this woman is. I can certainly understand her being in a more difficult place than most tho, as a high-profile Muslim in a traditionally bigoted country. She arguably deserves more leeway than average, and I doubt her feelings on Israel are any real threat to change.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#350 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:27 am

This is one of the most brutal public takedowns I've ever seen

Read on Twitter

So far Warren has my vote in the primary but Harris is working over the field tonight. I was waiting for someone to kick Joe Biden's ass and she did it in the most honest way possible. Biden is trash and I'm flabbergasted that he's polling the highest right now.

bud29
Junior
And1: 139

Post#351 » by bud29 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:12 am

MrDollarBills wrote:This is one of the most brutal public takedowns I've ever seen

Read on Twitter

So far Warren has my vote in the primary but Harris is working over the field tonight. I was waiting for someone to kick Joe Biden's ass and she did it in the most honest way possible. Biden is trash and I'm flabbergasted that he's polling the highest right now.

Lots of people gave Hillary **** for having a bad record, and Biden's record is 100x worse than hers. Pro-Iraq war, anti-bussing, pro-drug war...Biden has been a huge supporter of every bad position the Democrats have taken over the last few decades. Other candidates need to grill him over and over on that, and I'm glad Harris took it to him tonight.

On another note, this enormous field of candidates is such a **** show. Marianne Williamson? :lol: :lol: It'll be such a relief once we get down to six-candidate debates.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#352 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:58 pm

bud29 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:This is one of the most brutal public takedowns I've ever seen

Read on Twitter

Lots of people gave Hillary **** for having a bad record, and Biden's record is 100x worse than hers. Pro-Iraq war, anti-bussing, pro-drug war...Biden has been a huge supporter of every bad position the Democrats have taken over the last few decades. Other candidates need to grill him over and over on that, and I'm glad Harris took it to him tonight.

On another note, this enormous field of candidates is such a **** show. Marianne Williamson? :lol: :lol: It'll be such a relief once we get down to six-candidate debates.

Biden's record is atrocious and he is grossly out of touch with the party's base. This man literally bragged about rubbing elbows with segregationists. If Hillary had said something like that she would have been burned at the stake. The double standards are nauseating and I am not even a fan of Clinton's in the slightest.

Yeah, there are way too many candidates. Some folks should be trying to run for Senate, where Democrats need to actually take over in order to get legislation passed.

shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#353 » by shakendfries » Thu Aug 1, 2019 4:31 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
shakendfries wrote:
Paradise wrote:Kenny recalls meeting KD for the first time.

Negrodamaus whats good fam? You got any future lottery numbers, sports bets, or stock tips for us?

just politics as usual

Read on Twitter

dems need to stop pandering for clout.

anyone seen the debate last night? Yang and Tsiti look competent
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#354 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:09 pm

shakendfries wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
shakendfries wrote:

Negrodamaus whats good fam? You got any future lottery numbers, sports bets, or stock tips for us?

just politics as usual

Read on Twitter

dems need to stop pandering for clout.

anyone seen the debate last night? Yang and Tsiti look competent

I watched it. I like Andrew Yang and I think he has some good ideas. However right now, Elizabeth Warren has my vote in the primary.

I absolutely loathe Tulsi Gabbard and I can't wait til she's primaried out of the party. She's a Putin/Assad shill and a hardcore bigot.

Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#355 » by Claud » Thu Aug 1, 2019 10:29 pm

For me is between Bernie and Elizabeth Warren for REAL change. I think those two will challenge Biden who will surely get the Hilary Clinton treatment by the DNC since he represents status quo.

I was pleasantly surprised by Mayor Pete and Andrew Yang. They had some very good ideas.

Kamala Harris is another neoliberal who says one thing just to stay ahead in the polls but really represents the status quo. I much prefer Corey Booker than her.

The way I see it will come down Bernie/Warren vs Biden in the end. Next tier will be Kamala, Pete and Booker. After that long shots like Yang and Beto.

Biden isn't inspiring enough as a candidate to be the guy iMO. Trump would destroy him.
We'd have another 2016 situation where the DNC gives us the **** option of Clinton or Trump and now we've seen the results. I hope they don't make the same mistake again.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#356 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Aug 2, 2019 11:02 am

Claud wrote:For me is between Bernie and Elizabeth Warren for REAL change. I think those two will challenge Biden who will surely get the Hilary Clinton treatment by the DNC since he represents status quo.

I was pleasantly surprised by Mayor Pete and Andrew Yang. They had some very good ideas.

Kamala Harris is another neoliberal who says one thing just to stay ahead in the polls but really represents the status quo. I much prefer Corey Booker than her.

The way I see it will come down Bernie/Warren vs Biden in the end. Next tier will be Kamala, Pete and Booker. After that long shots like Yang and Beto.

Biden isn't inspiring enough as a candidate to be the guy iMO. Trump would destroy him.
We'd have another 2016 situation where the DNC gives us the **** option of Clinton or Trump and now we've seen the results. I hope they don't make the same mistake again.

I like Pete too. I think he comes off as reasonable and very measured/pragmatic.

I like Kamala, I really do, but she also gives be that neoliberal, Hillary Clinton vibe (although she's left of Hillary). Booker is too hemmed up by the drug companies that donate to his election coffers in New Jersey. I'd prefer he stay in the Senate.

If Biden is the primary winner, he will lose because he will not drive up the turnout with his center-right politics. Warren is giving people a very easy to digest platform of ideas with actual solutions on how they can be achieved, and she is also listening to her constituency. I can see a huge Dem voter turnout for Warren in the general election.

I would also support a Warren/Sanders ticket. Sanders still has his support base which draws in independent voters. I think the Democrats need that in the general election.

Just get Trump out of office and purge every government agency from the ground up. ICE and US Border and Customs especially. Complete and total purge.

shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#357 » by shakendfries » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:12 pm

Interestingly enough Politico's Nerdcast mentioned a link between Russian interference and the #KamalaDestroyed hashtag trending on Twitter. Booker mentioning that infighting between the Dems would work against their efforts. Regardless, the perception around Kamala appears to be that she's most capable of taking Trump one-on-one in a debate.
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#358 » by Claud » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:55 pm

shakendfries wrote:Interestingly enough Politico's Nerdcast mentioned a link between Russian interference and the #KamalaDestroyed hashtag trending on Twitter. Booker mentioning that infighting between the Dems would work against their efforts. Regardless, the perception around Kamala appears to be that she's most capable of taking Trump one-on-one in a debate.

Tulsi destroyed Kamala. She didn't even refute what Tulsi said. Trump would use that ad nauseam.
skip to around 4:20 mark.

Russian bots are obviously still around since they want to distort the truth and divide American society so I'm sure they'll push whatever agenda causes the most rift in the country.(Helping Trump for example)

The perception of Kamala among progressives is she's fake and Hilary Clinton clone.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#359 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Aug 4, 2019 5:05 pm

These mass shootings are government sponsored terrorism. From the President whipping these lunatics into a frenzy to the GOP's prevention of common sense gun laws, all of this lies at the feet of the government.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#360 » by Prokorov » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:33 pm

a female or minority isnt beating trump. too many sexist/racists in this country on top of trumps white supremacist supporters for that to work. Biden has 0 chance. trump would bury him. like with hillary... you can sling in the mud with trump and win, he lives in the mud.

Bernie could win, maybe pete

Return to Brooklyn Nets