WWE General Discussion II

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

bestnamezRtaken
Senior
And1: 349

Re: WWE General Discussion II 

Post#1181 » by bestnamezRtaken » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:33 am

iMoreland wrote:WON: Both Bischoff and Heyman will be starting in their new roles immediately

Wrong. He said imminently.
Kobe Bryant was asked who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA. Instead of picking OKC's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland’s Brandon Roy.

"Roy 365 days, seven days a week. Roy has no weaknesses in his game."
bestnamezRtaken
Senior

Post#1182 » by bestnamezRtaken » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:38 am

bestnamezRtaken wrote:
iMoreland wrote:WON: Both Bischoff and Heyman will be starting in their new roles immediately

(Go to 50 seconds in the video)

They'll likely be starting mid July.
Kobe Bryant was asked who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA. Instead of picking OKC's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland’s Brandon Roy.

Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#1183 » by Spens1 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:13 pm

bestnamezRtaken wrote:

This, though to be fair that was only clarified later.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,041

Post#1184 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:56 pm

spykelee wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:I get people getting excited about Bischoff and Heyman but remember that according to basically anyone whose ever worked for wwe, as long as Vince has a pulse he’s running the show. Those expecting big changes will continue to be disappointed.

That concerns me too. The are both still reporting to Vince and we all know the buck stops there, always has.

However, I do believe they are feeling the heat and this really be a legitimate shot at trying to change the narrative of the product. I think Heyman will be fine, Bischoff, as mentioned I'm not so confident in. He's a smart enough guy, a great executive. Creatively speaking, I'm not sure he is where you want to turn. But anything has to be better than the **** Vince has turned out recently. Please get rid of the wildcard rule first and formost. Then let's get some new talent and feuds and just better stories and writing that actually make sense. I'd happily start with that.

SOmeoen made a good point, how does Triple H feel about all this? he did a great job with NXT, and pretty much passed over for the 2 big brands
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#1185 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:23 pm

Trips probably understands more than anyone that as along as Vince is alive it’s his show. Once Vince is gone maybe he’ll fully take over, but I can see him not wanting his name attached to anything but nxt at the moment.
Do it for Chuck
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,135

Post#1186 » by heatwillbeback » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:00 pm

I don’t hate it, I just find it funny that ECW and WCW bosses are running WWE’s main shows 20 years later.

Apparently developing new stars isn’t the only issue. Can’t even cultivate behind the scenes talent and have to go back into the past 20 years to save your program.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,217

Post#1187 » by LLJ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:26 pm

Vince only really excels at the business part of the company, but booking is still what he LIKES doing most.

So yeah. At the end of the day it's still Vince calling the shots. Road Dogg was executive producer on Smackdown and quit in April because of the stress of working for Vince.
bestnamezRtaken
Senior

Post#1188 » by bestnamezRtaken » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:32 pm

LLJ wrote:Vince only really excels at the business part of the company, but booking is still what he LIKES doing most.

So yeah. At the end of the day it's still Vince calling the shots. Road Dogg was executive producer on Smackdown and quit in April because of the stress of working for Vince.

Wrong. He was the head writer at the time he stepped down from his role. He wasn't a producer at the time.

LLJ
RealGM

Post#1189 » by LLJ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:35 pm

bestnamezRtaken wrote:
LLJ wrote:Vince only really excels at the business part of the company, but booking is still what he LIKES doing most.

Wrong. He was the head writer at the time he stepped down from his role. He wasn't a producer at the time.

I was under the impression he was both producer and head writer at the time he stepped down. He was producer for Smackdown in 2016 and was later given the title of head writer. I never got the impression he lost his producer title though.
bestnamezRtaken
Senior

Post#1190 » by bestnamezRtaken » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:03 pm

LLJ wrote:
bestnamezRtaken wrote:

I was under the impression he was both producer and head writer at the time he stepped down. He was producer for Smackdown in 2016 and was later given the title of head writer. I never got the impression he lost his producer title though.

He was promoted to head writer. I assume once you're promoted, you are no longer in your previous position. I don't think he was ever "executive" producer when he was one though. It just says producer.

LLJ
RealGM

Post#1191 » by LLJ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:27 pm

Regardless of job titles, Road Dogg had a far amount of input on the booking, obviously
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1192 » by improper » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:53 pm

Bischoff and Heyman running wrestling shows and wrestling is on TNT.

Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#1193 » by Scott Hall » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:00 am

LLJ wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Balor really is perfectly suited for NJPW which is predominantly all about work rate he just doesn't have the
mic skills and charisma to be the guy in WWE and if he isn't dressed up like a zombie he looks pretty ordinary.

A lot of the English/Irish/Scottish wrestlers are hurt by their accents which makes them hard to understand
sometimes and hurts their promo abilities. I saw that Noam Doar guy is back and when he talks you almost
need subtitles at the bottom of the screen.

On one hand the United Kingdom is one of the wrestling hot beds in the world if not the biggest they LOVE wrestling
there but when I see the UK wrestlers or watch a bit of NXT UK they lack the "cool factor" that's the forgotten key
ingredient in wrestling. North America has it, Japan has it, Mexico has it the UK scene doesn't.

Balor is quite popular with the women and has remained over despite status quo booking. Again it's a case of the WWE only seeing weaknesses in people not suited to their "formula" and not booking to someone's strengths. Balor has a great bod, is a decent worker and has a grin that could be either charming or irritating. That's a strength, by the way.

The inability of the WWE to handle an increasingly global roster and an increasingly plugged in audience is one of the factors why they have struggled to maintain their audience. It's not like these foreign guys don't have fans. During early 2018 they were featuring more people outside of the US than ever before and the ratings were actually UP for a few months. So there is an audience out there for a global feel. The problem is that internally they cannot or will not adapt. There are ways to get around accents, language, hell people offer suggestions every day. If in kayfabe the WWE is an international sport, and you hire international performers, then you have to be ready to treat it like an international show.

Another problem is the current WWE crowds, which are no longer representative of the mainstream zeitgeist. They chant things that were popular 20 years ago, they cheer for people who may appeal to a small subset of longtime fans but not to a larger demographic. So they send the company mixed signals as to who they should push that would actually be good for business. They can't find the sweet spot between what's good for business and what will satisfy the smarks, who, by the way, are probably already gone at this point so the WWE audience is mostly made up of WWE loyalists and AE nostalgists.

Balor is definitely over I just think his lack of mic skills and poor promos are what prevents him to being the "guy" or
face of the company. Can you imagine Balor being in a main event feud at WM and him cutting killer promos on the
RAWs during the build up to entice people to wanna watch the PPV? I he's over with the hardcore wrestling fan/geek
that's still left but I don't think he has the appeal to interest the lost viewer. I still value him as a upper card to mid card
guy and see him more as a great IC champion then WWE champion.

As for the UK they may have the most passionate fans in the world right now but they don't develop a lot of great wrestlers.
Who's the best wrestler to ever come out of the UK?.... British Bulldog? Regal? Wade Barrett? Dynamite Kid? Sheamus?
Drew? Becky?

Compare that to the wrestlers the U.S, Canada, Mexico and Japan have developed and the UK is severely lagging behind
with usually every "star" they produce lacking something. Right now on the NXT UK brand the franchise guy isn't even from
the UK as Walter is from Hungary.
Spens1 wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
Spoiler:
Please let them all leave.

Balor to do New Japan with a side of AEW, hell, he could take over Bullet Club as leader and let White be Ace whilst he returns to being the real rock n rolla (also Devitt & G&A vs Omega & The Young Bucks writes itself)

Rusev to New Japan and AEW also could work, especially if he's with Lana, they love big hosses and him in the Never openweight title scene in hard hitting matches with the likes of Ishii and Goto, with his charisma, he could be a very big star. I think he'd excel in AEW.

As for the Hardy's, well, we've seen how good the Broken Matt character is.

Balor really is perfectly suited for NJPW which is predominantly all about work rate he just doesn't have the
mic skills and charisma to be the guy in WWE and if he isn't dressed up like a zombie he looks pretty ordinary.

A lot of the English/Irish/Scottish wrestlers are hurt by their accents which makes them hard to understand
sometimes and hurts their promo abilities. I saw that Noam Doar guy is back and when he talks you almost
need subtitles at the bottom of the screen.

On one hand the United Kingdom is one of the wrestling hot beds in the world if not the biggest they LOVE wrestling
there but when I see the UK wrestlers or watch a bit of NXT UK they lack the "cool factor" that's the forgotten key
ingredient in wrestling. North America has it, Japan has it, Mexico has it the UK scene doesn't.

Balor doesn't have charisma? he has it in spades (look at Prince Devitt bullet club promo and say he doesn't have charisma). Its just WWE (and i blame HHH for this one actually) brought him in as the blandest of babyfaces, despite making his name as a heel leader of the biggest faction this decade. Also you can't survive in New Japan without charisma either (its why you have guys like Naito on top and guys like Yoshi Hashi and Chase at the bottom).

I do think the accents are hurting but its more since Vince and Dunn hate them, i mean they seem to think that if you are from overseas or from the south and have an accent that you aren't main event material (which is riduclous).

Also that's cause NXT UK is just a poor program to be honest, i mean with WOS not taking off, it basically meant NXT UK was redundant, all they've done their is really hurt the scene that was coming up.

Comparing Balor to similar wrestlers that are like him charisma and promo wise I'd give...

Daniel Bryan a 8 or 9
AJ Styles a 7 or 8
Seth Rollins a 7 or 8

Fin Balor has gotta be a 5 or 6 at best... Remember during Wrestlemania season when he brought out the Demon
and started doing all these ridiclious faces and it was so corny and cringe that the audience was laughing and it
was a running joke on Social Media? I forgot who was in the ring but the guy was getting props for keeping a straight
face. Also that Fin Balor smile absolutely ruined him.

NJPW just runs a different formula and playbook then WWE and being the "guy" there and being a midcard guy in "WWE"
isn't insulting. To be fair though being booked as the leader of a cool faction isn't hard to get over.

If I was booking him in WWE I'd turn him heel so no smiling I'd have him be a leader of a new faction have Big Show
be his muscle and body guard change their looks completely add a good promo guy and another under utilized guy
that could use the rub.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#1194 » by Scott Hall » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:25 am

It's crazy WWE now has...

Bischoff - WCW
Heyman - ECW
Jarrett - TNA
HHH - NXT

Plus all the other old cronies like Bruce Prichard, Pat Patterson, Michael PS Hayes etc. you'd think with all that
experience they could figure out how to get the company back on track. But as we all know unless Vince doesn't
meddle with Bischoff and Heyman (and the writers) nothing will change just like their last announcement in December
where they said the family will make consensus decisions and that the fans were the authority now (lol)

Are we really supposed to believe Vince is gonna give them full autonomy now?

My biggest hope is with Heyman he seems like he knows how to mind **** Vince and knows the trick is to plant
seeds in his head and then make him believe it was his ideas. As for Bischoff if anything else I'm just glad to see
him have a job and get a decent pay check. He has some mistakes creatively but I still like his batting average
and whenever you hear his ideas and concepts they sound logical and mostly good. He created a lot of things that
are still used today. He understands TV well and has a lot of experience dealing with executives. His biggest
problem in WCW was over spending and he didn't know how to run a business that won't be an issue in WWE.
In TNA his biggest problem was pushing his son Garrett Bischoff who was awful and letting Hogan bring in all
his old pals which again won't be a problem anymore.

If nothing else I consider Bischoff still an asset to the company hopefully he makes Vince think about
new things and concepts and Vince bites on some of them. One thing about Bischoff is he's open about his
mistakes and is willing to accept an "L" and make new adjustments .As for Heyman I imagine Stephanie won't
be in the way like when he was writing Smackdown in the early 2000's and he doesn't have to see Vince
destroy ECW again if front of his own eyes while being completely helpless.

I also wonder if the incentive by Vince was to lock up Heyman and Bischoff into prominent roles so AEW
didn't snatch them up. As for AEW Ambrose said the promotion is for the boys by the boys so I guess they
don't have to worry about that.
Shemy
Head Coach
And1: 460

Post#1195 » by Shemy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:34 pm

Heyman in charge is great news but as ppl mentioned its either gonna end up like SD when he was head writer or WWECW, Bischoff im not too fond of

did bischoff have any type of role backstage or input on the show when he was the on air GM of RAW in the mid 2000s
"They scared now"
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#1196 » by iMoreland » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:01 pm

In the early 90's, Bischoff made a big splash after taking over WCW by signing Hogan away from WWF. While this wouldn't matter in the sense that the wrestler already works for WWE, there is one person that Bischoff could steal from Heyman to setup a similar storyline is Brock.

Of course, Lesnar and Heyman are a great combination, but just imagine the two on opposite sides in an eventual RAW vs. SD match at Mania. Heyman could build someone else up as his Lesnar-killer, and make someone new a star.

That new Paul Heyman guy: Matt Riddle.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#1197 » by Spens1 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 8:27 am

jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#1198 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 5:33 pm

Spens1 wrote:https://www.pwinsider.com/article/127636/corey-graves-maria-mike-gallows-and-anderson-wwe-updates-and-more-from-backstage-at-raw.html

Mike and Maria out carnying Vince :lol:

That’s hilarious (re: Mike & Maria) and I’m not shedding a tear for Vince and wwe. Pretty ballsy too. The best part is I’m sure some great tv will come out of it as they’ll look to bury those two at every turn.
Do it for Chuck
Picasso
Rookie
And1: 896

Post#1199 » by Picasso » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:40 pm

Think what I read was false hopefully.
I had to jump off the boat to walk on water.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1200 » by improper » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:40 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
Spens1 wrote:https://www.pwinsider.com/article/127636/corey-graves-maria-mike-gallows-and-anderson-wwe-updates-and-more-from-backstage-at-raw.html

Mike and Maria out carnying Vince :lol:

That’s hilarious (re: Mike & Maria) and I’m not shedding a tear for Vince and wwe. Pretty ballsy too. The best part is I’m sure some great tv will come out of it as they’ll look to bury those two at every turn.

So thus far they've had WWE pay for Mike's rehab and now two Maria pregnancies. That's f*cking brilliant. :lol:

Return to Pro Wrestling