Rui Hachimura

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Re: The Rui Hachimura Thread 

Post#261 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:23 pm

nate33 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Offensively his skillset is very much a old school 4. Its nearly all 18 ft and in. That can be re made but that takes time.

Watching the Japan FIBA video, I'm not so sure this is the case. It looks to me that he was placed into an old school low post role at Gonzaga, but he has more perimeter skills. He has a handle. He can crossover inside and out with either hand. He has a eurostep.

It's true that his shooting range doesn't go out to the 3-point line just yet, but these days, every player with a competent midrange shot eventually figures out the 3-ball.

Except Demar DeRozan and Lamarcus Aldridge.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#262 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:32 pm

nate33 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Offensively his skillset is very much a old school 4. Its nearly all 18 ft and in. That can be re made but that takes time.

Watching the Japan FIBA video, I'm not so sure this is the case. It looks to me that he was placed into an old school low post role at Gonzaga, but he has more perimeter skills. He has a handle. He can crossover inside and out with either hand. He has a eurostep.

It's true that his shooting range doesn't go out to the 3-point line just yet, but these days, every player with a competent midrange shot eventually figures out the 3-ball.

Could be - I'm starting to get more optimistic - can't wait to see. I'm still skeptical about him becoming a good 3 point shooter, but I'll keep an open mind.

I know everyone in the NBA has worked hard to get there, but I think this guy is at another level in that regard, and it will make a difference and help the team. Maybe that's the biggest thing he has in common with Giannis.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,351

Post#263 » by Kanyewest » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:42 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Yeah, DeRozan and Aldridge were not good 3 point shooters except maybe a season or two. But they came into the league with less 3 point shooting ability than most. Aldridge hadn't attempted a 3 pointer in college, and it took him a while to become a volume shooter while DeRozan shot 16% from 3 in his Freshman year

Maybe Rui can follow the roadmap of someone like Kelly Olynyk who also went to Gonzaga but didn't shoot the 3 much there either.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#264 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:03 pm

Once the Kawhi & Giannis comparos got thrown into the mix, this discussion about Rui became kind of pointless. You immediately start looking for anything you can pump up & for ways to put a curtain over problem areas.

Rui is not "a fantastic prospect." Zion Williamson is a fantastic prospect. Luka Doncic was a fantastic prospect. Rui is something different -- a kid with a lot of promise, whose game is quite unevenly developed.

His scoring, fine, that fits the "fantastic prospect" mold. & I agree that there's no particular reason he shouldn't become a good 3-pt. shooter. But, as Dat & others have detailed, there are problems in the rest of his game (defense, rebounding, etc.). Which means that how good a player Rui Hachimura becomes will depend on how much he improves.

That's not what we wonder about in the case of "fantastic prospects." Thinking about Zion Williamson or Luka Doncic, we wonder how well their (already fantastic) games will translate to the NBA. A totally different question -- & one we'll also have to ask about the parts of Rui's game that are already outstanding.

It's perfectly fair to say that problem areas in Rui's may be down to his late start but not to assume that he'll fix those problems & therefore to act as it they're temporary, which means that soon they won't exist. Do that, and, sure, lets compare him to Giannis. Kawhi Leonard. Whoever you prefer.

I can't see the good in that. In my experience, declaring victory before the battle begins doesn't help win the battle.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#265 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:30 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Fair point.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#266 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:11 pm

payitforward wrote:Once the Kawhi & Giannis comparos got thrown into the mix, this discussion about Rui became kind of pointless. You immediately start looking for anything you can pump up & for ways to put a curtain over problem areas.

Rui is not "a fantastic prospect." Zion Williamson is a fantastic prospect. Luka Doncic was a fantastic prospect. Rui is something different -- a kid with a lot of promise, whose game is quite unevenly developed.

His scoring, fine, that fits the "fantastic prospect" mold. & I agree that there's no particular reason he shouldn't become a good 3-pt. shooter. But, as Dat & others have detailed, there are problems in the rest of his game (defense, rebounding, etc.). Which means that how good a player Rui Hachimura becomes will depend on how much he improves.

That's not what we wonder about in the case of "fantastic prospects." Thinking about Zion Williamson or Luka Doncic, we wonder how well their (already fantastic) games will translate to the NBA. A totally different question -- & one we'll also have to ask about the parts of Rui's game that are already outstanding.

It's perfectly fair to say that problem areas in Rui's may be down to his late start but not to assume that he'll fix those problems & therefore to act as it they're temporary, which means that soon they won't exist. Do that, and, sure, lets compare him to Giannis. Kawhi Leonard. Whoever you prefer.

I can't see the good in that. In my experience, declaring victory before the battle begins doesn't help win the battle.

Wait. One thing.... I suppose it's fun. Fun is useful too -- & we had little enough to be optimistic about in the Grunfeld era.

So, even if there's a healthy admixture of fantasy, why not?

Thank you for your attention to my dialogue with myself. Back to regularly scheduled programming.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,904

Post#267 » by drsd » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:51 pm

Magic fan here:

I love Rui Hachimura. His commitment reminds me of Ichiro Suzuki in the MLB. I am not saying Hachimura will be an MVP as a rookie. But I believe his work ethic will change how the NBA views the Japanese. Hachimura is a gym rat way beyond the typic meaning of that word.

p.s. why he did not slide to Orlando, I am sad. But I do love Okeke as our slot choice.

TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#268 » by TGW » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:07 pm

drsd wrote:Magic fan here:

I love Rui Hachimura. His commitment reminds me of Ichiro Suzuki in the MLB. I am not saying Hachimura will be an MVP as a rookie. But I believe his work ethic will change how the NBA views the Japanese. Hachimura is a gym rat way beyond the typic meaning of that word.

p.s. why he did not slide to Orlando, I am sad. But I do love Okeke as our slot choice.

And this whole time, I thought the Japanese were lazy and not dedicated to their crafts.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#269 » by montestewart » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:50 pm

TGW wrote:

And this whole time, I thought the Japanese were lazy and not dedicated to their crafts.

No, I read somewhere the Japanese love their crafts. [fixed for TGW]

It's an interesting sidebar, Hachimura in the NBA, like Suzuki in MLB, challenging stereotypes (US and maybe eleswhere too) of what "Japanese" is. I recall an essay/article about how Goldberg (NFL, WCW, WWE, monster trucks) challenged stereotypes of what "Jewish" is.

Hopefully, that story's prominence results from Hachimura's positive development as an NBA player.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#270 » by TGW » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:11 pm

montestewart wrote:
TGW wrote:

No, I read somewhere the Japanese love their crafts.

It's an interesting sidebar, Hachimura in the NBA, like Suzuki in MLB, challenging stereotypes (US and maybe eleswhere too) of what "Japanese" is. I recall an essay/article about how Goldberg (NFL, WCW, WWE, monster trucks) challenged stereotypes of what "Jewish" is.

Hopefully, that story's prominence results from Hachimura's positive development as an NBA player.

Green font, bruh.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#271 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:01 pm

TGW wrote:
montestewart wrote:
TGW wrote:

No, I read somewhere the Japanese love their crafts.

Green font, bruh.

I thought David challenged that.... You know... the thing with Goliath?
Physhi
Ballboy
And1: 46

Post#272 » by Physhi » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:31 pm

The thing I like about Rui's game the most is his ability to seal off smaller defenders in the post and immediately take the ball to the rim for an easy two points or get free throws. Sometimes he gets in trouble because he gets tunnel vision at that point and is only looking to score but I think with more exposure to that he'll be able to at least kick it out to an open shooter. He also seems like a very nice guy but there is a big competitive edge to him just underneath the surface.
FREE CHIC-FIL-A FOR EVERYONE!
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#273 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:39 pm

Fwiw.....

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#274 » by montestewart » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:46 pm

payitforward wrote:
TGW wrote:
montestewart wrote:No, I read somewhere the Japanese love their crafts.

Green font, bruh.

I heard that fight was rigged
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#275 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:21 pm

montestewart wrote:
payitforward wrote:
TGW wrote:Green font, bruh.

I heard that fight was rigged

Spoiler:
Yup - by the Japanese Jewish mafia. True factoid.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#276 » by DrCoach » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:03 pm

Knock Fan here

Solid pick up, I like him. Thought maybe you’d take Reddish but I think Rui can be a Al Horford type of player
payitforward
RealGM

Post#277 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:11 pm

The New York Knocks -- I like it!!

But... thanks, man.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#278 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:43 pm

Was just watching some video, he’s definitely got a feathery touch on layups. He seems like he’s one of those guys that excel at understanding angles off the backboard.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,054

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#279 » by queridiculo » Fri Jul 5, 2019 3:42 pm

So I'm watching these Hachimura highlights, and I get it, it's the best of what he has to offer, but I do wonder, where's this notion come from that he doesn't have a feel for the game?

I see him manipulate defenders with pump fakes, using moves to set them up for counters, knowing exactly where his spots are to get shots off cleanly. He seems to have a keen understanding for where his defenders are and is using angles to give himself a better chance at finishing. On top of that he seems to have a far better feel passing the ball than people want to give him credit for.

This doesn't look like a kid that lacks a feel to me.

His frame isn't indicative of how strong he is. You don't really see him get muscled and he's got a surprising physicality to him, uses his body really well.

Can't wait to see him play in the summer league against NBA level athletes.

JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#280 » by JWizmentality » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:20 pm

queridiculo wrote:So I'm watching these Hachimura highlights, and I get it, it's the best of what he has to offer, but I do wonder, where's this notion come from that he doesn't have a feel for the game?

I see him manipulate defenders with pump fakes, using moves to set them up for counters, knowing exactly where his spots are to get shots off cleanly. He seems to have a keen understanding for where his defenders are and is using angles to give himself a better chance at finishing. On top of that he seems to have a far better feel passing the ball than people want to give him credit for.

This doesn't look like a kid that lacks a feel to me.

His frame isn't indicative of how strong he is. You don't really see him get muscled and he's got a surprising physicality to him, uses his body really well.

Can't wait to see him play in the summer league against NBA level athletes.

Thank you! He also seems pretty competent on defense imo. Rewatching the Gonzaga Duke game and he handled Zion pretty darn well when he matched up with him. Zion wasn't able to out-muscle or over power him at all. Rui is going to surprise quite a few people.

Return to Washington Wizards