DaHef
Pro Prospect
And1: 170

Re: Sure sounds like KD is leaving 

Post#881 » by DaHef » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:28 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
DaHef wrote:
eminence wrote:Worlds biggest TPE?

What is the effect on the team giving the TPE? Is there any kind of cap hit or trade restrictions?

A trade exception is like a one year credit (they expire in one year) that over the cap teams can use to take back more salary than they send out. They can't be used to sign FAs, only for existing contracts from other teams. They could be used in a sign and trade, though. There's a few minor restrictions that probably wouldn't apply to the Warriors--they can't be combined with other exceptions, they can't be added to salaries to so they would match for a trade, that sort of thing.

A recent example is the Wizards, who used a trade exception to absorb the $4M+ salaries of the 3 players the Lakers are sending them, without having to send out any salary.

Is there any cost to a team sending back a TPE, like to the Nets if they sent one for KD?
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#882 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:40 pm

DaHef wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
DaHef wrote:
What is the effect on the team giving the TPE? Is there any kind of cap hit or trade restrictions?

A trade exception is like a one year credit (they expire in one year) that over the cap teams can use to take back more salary than they send out. They can't be used to sign FAs, only for existing contracts from other teams. They could be used in a sign and trade, though. There's a few minor restrictions that probably wouldn't apply to the Warriors--they can't be combined with other exceptions, they can't be added to salaries to so they would match for a trade, that sort of thing.

A recent example is the Wizards, who used a trade exception to absorb the $4M+ salaries of the 3 players the Lakers are sending them, without having to send out any salary.

Is there any cost to a team sending back a TPE, like to the Nets if they sent one for KD?

No. The Nets don't really send an exception. Trades are like two transactions, as each team may structure them differently. From the Nets point of view, they would be absorbing Durant's contract into cap space. From the Warriors point of view, they are using a TPE, which is available to them.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#883 » by likashing » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:18 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
DaHef wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

No. The Nets don't really send an exception. Trades are like two transactions, as each team may structure them differently. From the Nets point of view, they would be absorbing Durant's contract into cap space. From the Warriors point of view, they are using a TPE, which is available to them.

For teams with cap space, I wonder what the cost is to get a TPE for KD. We have already traded nearly all our upcoming 2nd round picks.

If it is a #1 pick the cost is potentially high - we will already go without Klay and if Steph/Green has any injury and miss more than a few games, the 2020 pick might become a lottery pick.

Maybe KD will do us a solid and have his new team do a sign and trade? It doesn't hurt himself or his new team, unless until we meet in the Finals or the playoffs...
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#884 » by likashing » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:35 pm

Will the league go insane if we get a TPE for KD, then sign-and-trade for Butler/Harris/Kawhi/Middleton/Horford?
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#885 » by statsman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:17 pm

likashing wrote:Will the league go insane if we get a TPE for KD, then sign-and-trade for Butler/Harris/Kawhi/Middleton/Horford?

I realize there is a lot of sarcasm on the forums. But for those who took your comments literally, the Warriors will not be a position to take back a S&T player this season unless they jettison a ton of salary. Particularly in light of the rumor Klay will be signed with the 5/190 (30%) max contract.

Even moving Iguodala for no return salary would not be enough to make space for a 30% or 35% contract. A 25% contract probably would be out of the question too under such a scenario.

Let's face it: Even with a TPE generated in a S&T of KD, the Warriors' options to fill out the roster are rather limited this coming season.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#886 » by likashing » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:42 pm

statsman wrote:
likashing wrote:Will the league go insane if we get a TPE for KD, then sign-and-trade for Butler/Harris/Kawhi/Middleton/Horford?

I realize there is a lot of sarcasm on the forums. But for those who took your comments literally, the Warriors will not be a position to take back a S&T player this season unless they jettison a ton of salary. Particularly in light of the rumor Klay will be signed with the 5/190 (30%) max contract.

Even moving Iguodala for no return salary would not be enough to make space for a 30% or 35% contract. A 25% contract probably would be out of the question too under such a scenario.

Let's face it: Even with a TPE generated in a S&T of KD, the Warriors' options to fill out the roster are rather limited this coming season.

I believe the CBA allows you to use the TPE to do a sign-and-trade, so it is not dependent on Iguodala. You cannot use it to sign an FA, but S&T is allowed.

Obviously you need to get a TPE for KD first, and get it early, have someone who wants to come, and have his team agrees to a S&T.

Not likely, yes, and I don't know how many 1st round picks we need to cough up even if we have the ducks lined up.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#887 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:52 pm

likashing wrote:
statsman wrote:

I believe the CBA allows you to use the TPE to do a sign-and-trade, so it is not dependent on Iguodala. You cannot use it to sign an FA, but S&T is allowed.

Obviously you need to get a TPE for KD first, and get it early, have someone who wants to come, and have his team agrees to a S&T.

Not likely, yes, and I don't know how many 1st round picks we need to cough up even if we have the ducks lined up.

The problem with that is that a team that is above the Apron (or will be above the Apron after the transaction) can't receive a player in a sign-and-trade. Once Klay is signed I think that will do it.
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#888 » by statsman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:55 pm

likashing wrote:
statsman wrote:

If a team acquires a player via a S&T, they are hard capped at the apron for the entire season (for 2019-20, about $6.3M over the luxury tax threshold or $138M).

Curry, Klay, Green and Iquodala would be at $109M next season. Add 9 minimum salary rookies ~ $900K each, and that makes the total $117M. $21M doesn't buy the team a 35% or 30% or even a 25% max contract ($27M). And the reality is there would be other players on the roster making more than the rookie minimum. Jones, Evans, Poole, definitely Looney, if he returns.

I'm just answering the original comments about a S&T for a player making big FA money. Not going to happen with a TPE from a S&T of KD. Smaller contracts would be possible, but there would be a limit, and it wouldn't be the full amount of the TPE. Not even close.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#889 » by wco81 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:25 pm

Kawhi supposedly looking to team up with Kawhi.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#890 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:04 pm

Bob Myers outside of KD'S Hotel in NYC!!!

Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#891 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:04 pm

wco81 wrote:Kawhi supposedly looking to team up with Kawhi.

"It'll never work! Just can't do it"
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Muscles
Senior
And1: 270

Post#892 » by Muscles » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:06 pm

Read on Twitter
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#893 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:19 pm

Steph is a Gangsta!!

He's gonna force KD to tell him face to face.
Khoee wrote “
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#894 » by jamesnamida » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:23 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Steph is a Gangsta!!

He's gonna force KD to tell him face to face.

And kd probably wouldn’t XD
Will text or call him later
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#895 » by wco81 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:24 pm

Yeah Curry having to grovel to him?

He may be a gimp like Cousins for over half the season.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#896 » by Samurai » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:28 pm

Muscles wrote:
Read on Twitter

If Steph can close this deal, then he should become a two-sport star and be the Giants closer!
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#897 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:49 pm

wco81 wrote:Yeah Curry having to grovel to him?

He may be a gimp like Cousins for over half the season.

Did it ever occur to you that Curry might have wanted to talk to him? And by all accounts Bob Myers has grown close to KD, so maybe he WANTED to be there as well, rather than just doing it over the phone.
Khoee wrote “
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,835

Post#898 » by whatisacenter » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:06 am

I'm liking the QO for Cook and the splash brothers being in on the pitch to KD. They know who he is!
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#899 » by SFrush » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:02 am

Muscles wrote:
Read on Twitter

Draymond?
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,835

Post#900 » by whatisacenter » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:49 am

SFrush wrote:
Muscles wrote:
Read on Twitter

Draymond?

I heard Andre on the radio and he said that Bob Myers and Draymond had already visited him in NY. But then again Andre has been saying a lot of things.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe

Return to Golden State Warriors