ImageImageImage

Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Re: Celtics hire Kara Lawson as an assistant coach 

Post#41 » by Gooner » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:50 am

Curmudgeon wrote:I'm just laughing at the notion that the Celtics need some sort of NBA veteran on the staff, even if he can't coach.

Why wouldn't that veteran, in this case Kendrick Perkins, be able to coach? Kara Lawson never coached any type of team. If she deserves a chance, why should giving a chance to someone like Perkins be considered laughable?
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#42 » by Gooner » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:55 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Fwiw assistant coaches have actual responsibilities as far as scouting and game plans, no? You need people who can do that well and quickly - so if you bring on Perkins just to stare down Jaylen Brown or whoever, he’s probably not ready for the rest of the job yet.

Perkins is not some amateur, he has played NBA basketball at a championship level. I have no doubt he can give his input when it comes to game plans.
Sibelius
Freshman
And1: 71

Post#43 » by Sibelius » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:16 am

canman1971 wrote:Can we focus on the super cool hire of a person who is qualified for a position that the Celtics wanted to fill without bringing up the freaking super all star Perkins? I mean, people come on?

How is she qualified? What coaching experience does she have?
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#44 » by Dannyboy36 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:37 am

Perk is a genuine tough guy and always worked extremely hard. I think he’s a great example of how to conduct yourself, do your job yadda yada and keep guys in line. I’d love to have him around. No idea if he’d be a good coach.
IS this new hire the best person for the job? I don’t know. She could wind up being so. I admit to rolling my eyes at first when I saw the hire because with the way things are now I feel every team eventually will have a women coach and if they don’t they will be singled out in a bad way. That will be ridiculous but it will happen.
However, I DO think it has s chance to have a positive effect on the team because she’s a woman. In general, women do communicate differently and guys may be apt to be more respectful to Brad and each other with her around. I know next to nothing about her but it could be a good thing. I guess I’m glad the Celts have a woman coach on the sideline so I don’t have to roll my eyes at a later date hearing the team is sexist.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#45 » by ermocrate » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:23 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
London2Boston wrote:That’s nice and all, but can we get a Vet NBA coach to help Brad manage the locker room next?

The locker room has been managed. B’Bye Kyrie. B’Bye Marcus. B’Bye Terry.

I don't think so.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#46 » by ermocrate » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:25 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
London2Boston wrote:That’s nice and all, but can we get a Vet NBA coach to help Brad manage the locker room next?

Yep, she and the other new guy could both be very good. But where is the NBA vet (and especially big man!) player or coaching experience that IMO should really be added to his staff? And yeah, should probably be another African-American, too.

Perk would be good as a Big's coach.
Not sure they have to be African-American, though.

Weel, Perk would be good welcoming players back from their drinking tour the night before the game...
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#47 » by ermocrate » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:27 pm

Edug27 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:I'm just laughing at the notion that the Celtics need some sort of NBA veteran on the staff, even if he can't coach.

If you have strange, difficult personalities like Kyrie on the roster.. sure.. but it’s a better idea to remove and avoid those personalities

Not really if you want to win championship.
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#48 » by ermocrate » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:31 pm

Dannyboy36 wrote:Perk is a genuine tough guy and always worked extremely hard. I think he’s a great example of how to conduct yourself, do your job yadda yada and keep guys in line. I’d love to have him around. No idea if he’d be a good coach.
IS this new hire the best person for the job? I don’t know. She could wind up being so. I admit to rolling my eyes at first when I saw the hire because with the way things are now I feel every team eventually will have a women coach and if they don’t they will be singled out in a bad way. That will be ridiculous but it will happen.
However, I DO think it has s chance to have a positive effect on the team because she’s a woman. In general, women do communicate differently and guys may be apt to be more respectful to Brad and each other with her around. I know next to nothing about her but it could be a good thing. I guess I’m glad the Celts have a woman coach on the sideline so I don’t have to roll my eyes at a later date hearing the team is sexist.

For sure a Woman doesn't generally avoid to share her feelings, something Brad semms to do too much...
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#49 » by Edug27 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:45 pm

ermocrate wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

If you have strange, difficult personalities like Kyrie on the roster.. sure.. but it’s a better idea to remove and avoid those personalities

Raps had strange, strong, difficult personalties on that team?
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#50 » by ermocrate » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:51 pm

Edug27 wrote:
ermocrate wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

Leonard is not "normal", Kyle Lowry is not "normal" too... If something happened during the season thing could have definitely go south...
Edug27
RealGM

Post#51 » by Edug27 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:29 pm

ermocrate wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
ermocrate wrote:Not really if you want to win championship.

Leonard is not "normal", Kyle Lowry is not "normal" too... If something happened during the season thing could have definitely go south...

Disagree. Neither are difficult personalities in the locker room. Quite the opposite from what everyone says actually.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,691

Post#52 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:53 pm

sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#53 » by sam_I_am » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:54 pm

I was listening to Wiggy on WEEI talk about how some guys may not say it but they won’t respect a woman coach. It’s an interesting point that I’ve heard before about black coaches, black quarterbacks etc. and it is still utter BS. I have worked with women leaders in a predominantly male environment ... and they have excelled when they were talented and struggled as much as weaker male leaders when they were not talented.

Assistant coach is not nearly as difficult as leading a helicopter squadron, a team of physicians, a country into war etc. - all things that have been accomplished with excellence by women already.

We are not asking her to guard Embiid - that is too much. We are asking her to coach. I bet she was a better basketball player than Stan Van Gundy was and I bet she will command more respect as a coach than Tim Floyd did in Chicago.

Jason Tatum is a mama’s boy. His mother has been wearing the pants in his family his whole life. Do we really think he is gonna have a problem with Lawson if she is really good?
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#54 » by ermocrate » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:35 pm

Edug27 wrote:
ermocrate wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

Disagree. Neither are difficult personalities in the locker room. Quite the opposite from what everyone says actually.

They don't have kids running around yelling they are the champs... Anyway Kahwi forced his way out of one of the best organizations in the world over a alleged "wrong diagnosys", not your regular Joe...
Edug27
RealGM

Post#55 » by Edug27 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:06 pm

ermocrate wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
ermocrate wrote:Leonard is not "normal", Kyle Lowry is not "normal" too... If something happened during the season thing could have definitely go south...

They don't have kids running around yelling they are the champs... Anyway Kahwi forced his way out of one of the best organizations in the world over a alleged "wrong diagnosys", not your regular Joe...

And yet most see that as a Spurs mistake than a Kawhi mistake.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#56 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:09 pm

Good hire, also good to have some more positive press along with Kemba. It was getting pretty bad with the national media.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#57 » by tombattor » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:23 pm

sam_I_am wrote:I was listening to Wiggy on WEEI talk about how some guys may not say it but they won’t respect a woman coach. It’s an interesting point that I’ve heard before about black coaches, black quarterbacks etc. and it is still utter BS. I have worked with women leaders in a predominantly male environment ... and they have excelled when they were talented and struggled as much as weaker male leaders when they were not talented.

Assistant coach is not nearly as difficult as leading a helicopter squadron, a team of physicians, a country into war etc. - all things that have been accomplished with excellence by women already.

We are not asking her to guard Embiid - that is too much. We are asking her to coach. I bet she was a better basketball player than Stan Van Gundy was and I bet she will command more respect as a coach than Tim Floyd did in Chicago.

Jason Tatum is a mama’s boy. His mother has been wearing the pants in his family his whole life. Do we really think he is gonna have a problem with Lawson if she is really good?

I agree. I think once you're there working, the novelty will wear off very quickly and it'll be on to business. These players are much younger and progressive than any of these people on WEEI.
000078ude54
Pro Prospect
And1: 551

Post#58 » by 000078ude54 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:01 pm

I hope she was chosen because she was the best candidate and not because of her gender.

With female referees and now coaches popping up suddenly in the last couple of years under Adam Silver's watch, I'm just curious about motives behind the hires. The goal is to win championships with the most talented people, male or female. If these are virtue signaling, "gender diversity" hires it degrades the integrity of the league.

And I hope these players, especially the young guys, are coached on how to communicate with females in a professional environment and vice versa. I hate to say it but certain types of women will cry harassment at the drop of a hat for even the slightest perceived slight or to keep their jobs if incompetent.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#59 » by greenroom31 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:01 pm

The Chief wrote:I hope she was chosen because she was the best candidate and not because of her gender.

With female referees and now coaches popping up suddenly in the last couple of years under Adam Silver's watch, I'm just curious about motives behind the hires. The goal is to win championships with the most talented people, male or female. If these are virtue signaling, "gender diversity" hires it degrades the integrity of the league.

I wonder why people don't ask this about every male hire?
000078ude54
Pro Prospect
And1: 551

Post#60 » by 000078ude54 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:09 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
The Chief wrote:I hope she was chosen because she was the best candidate and not because of her gender.

I wonder why people don't ask this about every male hire?

Context matters. The reality is that professional business is still majority male. With the recent movement to install women in leadership roles simply because they're women, it's a question that's going to be raised. High level leadership and management roles are highly sought the world over and careers/salaries are on the line. If roles are filled solely based on gender and not on merit, it's a problem.

Return to Boston Celtics