SPURS IN SUMMER LEAGUE 2019

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,678

SPURS IN SUMMER LEAGUE 2019 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:20 am

This summer, the Spurs will be participating in the Las Vegas and Salt Lake City Summer Leagues.

Chinese, Croatian teams highlight field for 2019 NBA Summer League
The NBA announced today that the Chinese and Croatian National Teams will join all 30 NBA teams to compete at MGM Resorts NBA Summer League 2019, marking the first time that the league will feature two international teams. The 15th NBA Summer League will take place July 5-15 at the Thomas & Mack Center and Cox Pavilion on the campus of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

Team China previously played in Las Vegas at NBA Summer League 2007. Team Croatia will make its NBA Summer League debut.

MGM Resorts NBA Summer League 2019 will be an 11-day, 83-game competition that opens with all 32 teams playing four preliminary games each. The top eight teams are then seeded in a tournament, which culminates with a Championship Game on July 15. Teams that do not qualify for the tournament will each play a consolation game. Every team will play at least five games and as many as seven at NBA Summer League.

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/03/20/2019-nba-summer-league-teams-announced

NBA SUMMER LEAGUE 2019
WHEN: JULY 5-15, 2019
WHERE: Thomas & Mack Center and Cox Pavilion
TICKETS: https://www.unlvtickets.com/eventInfo/spe/719/2019-nba-summer-league/
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: SPURS IN SUMMER LEAGUE 2019 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:47 am

Read on Twitter

SALT LAKE CITY SUMMER LEAGUE
WHEN: JULY 1-3, 2019
WHERE: Vivint Smart Home Arena
TICKETS: 3-Day Pass
July 1 Games
July 2 Games
July 3 Games
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
LetMeRunP0int2
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#3 » by LetMeRunP0int2 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:06 am

Should be exciting.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,323

Post#4 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:50 am

I'm really excited to see what Kenny Williams can do for ya'll. As a massive Tar Heel fan, I didn't expect Williams to get drafted, and to be honest, I didn't really think I'd follow much of him on a SL team or anything as I didn't think he had a chance to make the roster. However, once I saw he signed with the Spurs I got really intrigued. He's the type of guy Pop works wonders with. A team first guy who can do a little bit of everything, while defending at a high level. If he went anywhere else, I wouldn't think much of it, but I'm really hoping he sticks around with ya'll. Best of luck!
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:49 am

Our SL roster is being filled in with players at various positions.

In addition to Kenny Williams:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

We're also bringing in former Michigan guard Darius Morris:
Read on Twitter

French C Darel Poirier:
Read on Twitter

And SF Jordan Barnett:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:27 am

Here's our schedule for the Las Vegas Summer League (all times Eastern):

Friday, July 5 - Cox Pavilion

11 p.m. – San Antonio vs. Orlando (NBA TV)

Sunday, July 7 - Thomas & Mack

3:30 p.m. – Charlotte vs. San Antonio (ESPN2)

Monday, July 8 - Cox Pavilion

9 p.m. – Minnesota vs. San Antonio (ESPNU)

Wednesday, July 10 - Cox Pavilion

9 p.m. – Phoenix vs. San Antonio (NBA TV)

The event opens with all 32 teams playing four preliminary games each. The top eight teams are then seeded in a tournament, which culminates with a Championship Game on July 15 at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN2. Teams that do not qualify for the tournament will each play a consolation game. Every team will play at least five games and as many as seven at MGM Resorts NBA Summer League.

https://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs-nba-announce-las-vegas-summer-league-schedule-2019
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:48 pm

New additions to our SL roster reported:
Read on Twitter

EDIT to add:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#8 » by G R E Y » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:53 am

The Salt Lake City Summer League roster is here! Hopeful rookies, exciting returning Spurs, intriguing new players:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:15 pm

We have some guest coaches for SL:
Two females will be guest coaches on Blake Ahearn's staff at the 2019 Salt Lake City Summer League next week: Edneisha Curry and Lorena Infantes Nunez.

Curry is an assistant coach with the University of Maine, the only female assistant coach in Division I.

Black Bears coach Richard Barron hired Curry, a former WNBA guard, last season.

Nunez, who is from Spain, recently coached at the Latin American Academy in Mexico City as a development coach, with the goal of developing players ot compete at Division I schools. She also served as coach of the U17 Chilean Women's National Team and the Chilean Wheelchair National Basketball Team.

The Spurs made history in 2014 by making Becky Hammon the NBA's first full-time, paid female assistant.

There are also two other guest coaches on Ahearn's staff: Matt Nielsen and Tomislav Mijatovic.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-Summer-League-staff-includes-two-female-14055383.php

Some more info on Matt Nielsen who has done development work with us and Tomislav Mijatovic, whose coaching includes being an assistant on the Croatian National Team and an assistant for Anadolu Efes in Turkey:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#11 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:10 am

In SLC preparing for our first SL game:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#12 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:27 am

Starters:
Read on Twitter

And so it begins:
Read on Twitter

Luka's first basket:
Read on Twitter

Keldon's first points:
Read on Twitter

Quinndary for 3 at the buzzer:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#13 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:43 am

A seesaw game with lead changing back and forth, but we held on, pulled away, and pulled through for our first game and victory:
Read on Twitter

How our new Spurs and second year vets fared:
Read on Twitter

Five double-digit scorers:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#14 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:27 am

Some thoughts on our first SL game:

A bit raw, we still need time to gel obviously, and that was apparent in turnovers and sometimes letting opponents get behind us, be it beating us down the court or back door cuts. But you also can't over analyze in a first of anything, just observe where to go from here.

That said, you can see that the consistent message of defense and ball sharing is being heard. Very good hustle and energy, and some of our turnovers were from passes that guys will be ready for after playing together a bit more.

Lonnie not surprisingly led the way. He's quicker in making decisions, showed an improved jumper, still great drive instincts, and good lateral movement in staying with his man. Maybe needs to sty in control and play within himself a bit more; sometimes a bit erratic and loses control of the ball, but this is far less noticeable than last year, so you could tell he's making strides. Assertive without tunnel vision, and gets his while getting others involved.

Drew showed some good post moves, solid rebounding and screens, and an improved out side shot with better range. Got to the FT line a lot, and made most of them. He's wiry but relentless and physical and coachable. Really good two-way pick up.

Of our three new Spurs, Quinn looked the most ready and comfortable out there. He's a smart player, isn't afraid of the moment, makes poised decisions, has a very good drive and outside shot, and is a tenacious defender. He's now our other two-way player, and I have a feeling he'll be forcing the big club to make some tough guard decisions before long.

Keldon stuck to his man like glue. Great feet and hustle, just pesky moving laterally not allowing drives and frustrating opponents to force a pass out. Gets after rebounds in the paint, and has really good instincts in putting it back in. Creative driver, not afraid to muck it up and get a bit dirty when getting after the ball. He's the type that will get lots weird off balance shots for and1's.

Luka you could tell was trying to show what he could do and was maybe adjusting to the game the most in some moments, and so he had a bit of a rougher start with some turnovers and trying to dunk twice but getting blocked and fouled hard when missing both. Still, he understands the game well, gets good position when posting, passes with fundamentals and great angles for receivers to make their moves. Really good instincts with help D and recovery for block attempts with quick hops; gets after rebounds and pushes the ball quickly in transition; deceptively quick and bouncy. Good stroke on his outside shot; gets to the basket quickly with lefty drives; tries to prove himself with assertive play, even if it doesn't always work. He's got loads of untapped talent - LOADS.

If he's as willing to work and is as focused on the mental side as he has talked about and as has been said about him, he's going to be lethal on both ends when he puts his game together. Needs to bulk up without losing quickness as he got bodied noticeably and it sometimes caused him to travel. I like that he didn't back down. Made a great play for the final bucket, I think a steal quick drive and dunk. Good handles and tried to show them with some behind the back dribbles to get around defenders. He's probably got the biggest road in terms of acclimating to the game on this side of the pond, but a wide skill set and deep desire to show what he can do.

I like what our young guys showed in the first game - raw, but talented and really wanting to prove themselves.

Ben Moore has some skill with driving and rebounding and Js. We didn't offer a QO, so hopefully he catches another team's eye.

Thomas Robinson is huge, muscular, and not afraid to use it. His straight line drives and hustle after rebounds is where his strength and tenacity showed the most. He's not the guy you want to take a charge from. Good hustle and showing that he has some game.

We allowed a 15-8 run to end the first half but went on several scoring runs in the second to pull away. I liked our adjustments in defensive cohesion, really good switching for a first game, with guys understanding for the most part of what to do and where to be. Once we clamped down defensively all the more and limited the turnovers, we got some good transition buckets and passing for outside shots. Good second chance opportunities generated from getting after the boards. We need to limit the turnovers, but that will come from getting to know each other better. That it's a function of wanting to share the ball rather than every man for himself and passing as a bail out is a good sign. On to the next one.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#15 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:15 pm

Salt Lake City Summer League - Day 2
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#16 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:18 am

You can tell someone told Samanic to be more aggressive tonight. He isn't having a ton of success but I would rather see this than being passive. He seems to be getting frustrated with himself also which could be taken as good or bad. I do like the emotion.

Ledbetter seems to light it up everytime I see him play. Too bad he has a G-League body.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#17 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:49 am

Johnson looks like he has potential.
He also answered the female reporter after the game with a "yes Ma'am" I like it!
Samanic also needs to work on his cardio. He looked gassed on his shots in the 4th.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#18 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 3, 2019 5:54 pm

Final stats and highlights from Game 2:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#19 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:45 pm

Some thoughts on last night's game:

We already looked more cohesive with guys playing hounding defense and switching and communicating really well on the one end, and running out to their positions or responding in transition for points off of tunrovers on the other. Better player positions for sets, better P&Rs, better passing - there were several plays where we got a block or a rebound then the ball barely touched the floor before we scored.

We started shooting from the 3 really well (vet Ledbetter wow!) but didn't over-rely on it. In the third, we didn't score for over five minutes, but our consistent effort on defense helped stem their runs.

I love that despite several players resting (like Lonnie and Quinn) we plugged in other players and didn't miss a beat. If anything, we seemed to flow much better, especially in transition. Lonnie is good at finding driving lanes, but sometimes take a bit of time to make a decision. We zipped the ball around much faster in Game 2, a lot of which was from creating turnovers and limiting them on the other end.

Luka started assertive enough, but like gump said, was gassed by the end. In between again showed some flashes - quick smooth 3, great timing on a block, some solid passes (quick outlets, a back door and one to a cutter down low stood out) again. His top of the key straight line drive is a little predictable (made the same move) and got stripped. He got switched on by their C on D and when guarding in the post looked like a sapling bending backwards but give him credit for not backing down. Overall very good BBIQ and understands the game. It looks at times to be a bit quick for him, but I have no doubt he will adjust.

He's reportedly working with Olin Simplis. Add Chip to that and only good things can result.

Thomas Robinson scares me. He was aggressive on the boards (sometimes against our own players haha) and just looks at times as if he's on the verge of laying someone out. He had a solid showing with 14 points (6-8FGs), 7 rebounds, 4 assists. Ben Moore had a nice game, too, with some quality makes for 16 points, 7 rebounds, 2 steals. Magette stood out with quick passes for 10 assists.

Who is Barnett? Great 3 shot and a wonderful dunker, aided by a downhill game. 9 points on 4-5. Fit in really well with our style last night.

Johnson had himself a night - 29 points (14 in the 4th Q), 7 rebounds, 3 steals thank you very much. It's 'just' SL but he hadn't ever scored 29 in KU, and was more of a spot-up shooter from what I understand, but showed a lot more to his game, starting with flat out relentless defense. He disrupted a lot of guys' rhythms and didn't let them do what they wanted. Got into lanes with quick feet, interrupted passes with quick hands, got after rebounds. The latter showed him not afraid to mix it up in the paint, and with his twichy hops and very fast second attempts he caught guys by surprise with his putbacks. His shot is very quick, too, and economical - doesn't take up a lot of space from start to finish in take off and landing, squares up, and releases without any extra windup or glitches. He's a bundle of energy and enthusiasm that is contagious, and will be one of those guys players hate to have defending them. How about that end of 3rd Q half-court 3? Not a fluke. Never gives up. Did I mention he's relentless? Love his game and attitude already.

We kept both opponents so far to under 90 points, aided last night by 10 steals and 7 blocks and a 59-point first half and then staying even with them the rest of the way. On to the next one.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#20 » by G R E Y » Thu Jul 4, 2019 12:24 am

Game 3 vs. Utah:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter