ImageImageImage

2 Possible Trade Destinations, 2 Cavaliers

Moderator: ijspeelman

Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

2 Possible Trade Destinations, 2 Cavaliers 

Post#1 » by Richfield » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:16 am

After reading Amico's most recent article: http://amicohoops.net/amico-cavaliers-free-agency-plans-centered-on-themselves/

Two things stand out a little bit.

1) Indiana might have strong interest in Kevin Love

"word is, the Indiana Pacers would be thrilled to put him next to Victor Oladipo"

2) Toronto might have interest in Tristan Thompson

I'll start with TT. This is tougher to speculate about, and it assumes Kawhi will not be staying in Toronto I think. I don't think their roster doesn't have a lot the Cavs would be interested in due to age, and some of those young guys aren't going anywhere for TT. One guy that Cavs might like, or at least bring something Cavs don't have is the toughness and experience of Norman Powell. Other than him, I don't see much on their roster, but don't know about their youngest guys that don't play. I haven't watched or don't remember enough about OG Anunoby, or if the Raps would be into putting him in that trade. Perhaps a 3 way would be best if Tristan is going to Toronto.

Moving on.

Kevin Love. Indiana. I assume both teams will be under the cap by the time a trade is possible with Indiana, so I don't believe salary matching would be an issue. But if that's incorrect, I think Turner would have to be involved (18M) just to get started.

I just caught my first Goga Bitadze highlights, and it's hard to judge the competition, but I am very intrigued. The footwork and activity for a guy that big and that young, including what looks like a good level of competitiveness, I am sold that he can have success in the NBA. He has offensive instincts, and plays like he loves it, not just a big guy playing because he's tall. He's a bit of a rail right now, and I'm worried about his health especially below the waist until he gets a bit stronger, but the guy is already 251 lbs at 6'11.

I'd want him in the trade. Perfect for the rebuilding Cavs since we don't have anybody prospects at that position. I think he lets Nance slide over to PF and do damage there. The fact that G.B. can also shoot and do other things, he's probably a fit for Beilein too. I'm speculating to an extent, the highlights didn't show his assists.

Who to put with him in the trade? I see Domantas and Turner as young guys who are still getting better. And they have Thad who could be a good veteran presence. But I assume they want to keep 2 out of those 3 if not all three to try to damage in the wide open East. I don't know how much they value those three or if they want to part with more than 1. Combining G.B. with one of those I think you have the start of a package. Depending on which one, more would have to be added or maybe just take 2 out of those 3 mentioned. Don't want to put an exact value on Love because of my homerism, but it's good to see there are possible packages there I could live with. And there are always future picks as a possibility instead or too, depending on the package.

Basically posting this to see if you guys see any packages on those rosters that would satisfy you in a trade for either Love or Thompson. Might look totally different from the possibilities I mentioned above. But since Amico pointed towards those two teams, I am trying to imagine more specifically what might work. What do you guys think? Can you put together a package that would satisfy you off those two rosters that seems realistic?
Guzman_9
Pro Prospect
And1: 183

Re: 2 Possible Trade Destinations, 2 Cavaliers 

Post#2 » by Guzman_9 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:38 am

Turner would not be part of a Love trade unless we got 2 unprotected first with Love.
Pacer Fan. 8-)
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#3 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:05 pm

Guzman_9 wrote:Turner would not be part of a Love trade unless we got 2 unprotected first with Love.

Turner had a strong season and i agree indy wont trade him, but your value is not realistic
Turner prob. gets you an unprotected from a lottery team with a meh role player exiring or maybe somebody like Kurics/ prorected or just Jalen Brown or SGA straight up.
Fyi Love just isnt getting moved at all.
Cavs dont gain anything by it.
TT could garner some interest as an expiring at the dl for draft assets ,or could grab a young project like Mo Bamba or Isaiah Hartenstien attached to a longer contract
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Guzman_9
Pro Prospect

Post#4 » by Guzman_9 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:55 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Guzman_9 wrote:Turner would not be part of a Love trade unless we got 2 unprotected first with Love.

Turner had a strong season and i agree indy wont trade him, but your value is not realistic
Turner prob. gets you an unprotected from a lottery team with a meh role player exiring or maybe somebody like Kurics/ prorected or just Jalen Brown or SGA straight up.
TT could garner some interest as an expiring at the dl for draft assets ,or could grab a young project like Mo Bamba or Isaiah Hartenstien attached to a longer contract

Well you have your opinion about how much he's worth. No way on any day even on a very drunk day would Indy trade Turner for Brown or SGA straight up. That phone call would be hung up before finishing their sentence. To Pacer fans Turner has the equivalent value as Gobert. Sabonis probably around as Tatum.
Pacer Fan. 8-)
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,080

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:40 pm

If Cavs fans don't like Love on a $30M deal, they should wrap their heads around Sabonis on a 4 year rookie max because that's what's coming in the summer of 2020. Given the fact that the Pacers just traded for Warren, I suspect they'll want to send back McBuckets who I wouldn't want on his current contract.

The Cavs need to tell Love to get on the court and improve his trade value if he wants out. If he doesn't want out, then there's no need to trade him for a meh return.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#6 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:41 pm

Guzman_9 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Well you have your opinion about how much he's worth. No way on any day even on a very drunk day would Indy trade Turner for Brown or SGA straight up. That phone call would be hung up before finishing their sentence. To Pacer fans Turner has the equivalent value as Gobert. Sabonis probably around as Tatum.

I get it, and if Turner wants to be in Indy then of course you don't agree move him... he is locked up for quite awhile.
But his trade value is different imo than most in Indy would expect given the only reason they would trade him is likely if he publicly wanted out. Since he has not said that was the case they might get Jalen Brown or SGA for him from those respective orgs as both are teams that could use a guy like Turner, but I think those players are about the same value with maybe Indy getting a draft asset attached coming off such a solid season for Turner. If he demanded a trade I'm not sold they would get more than 1 rotation player like Kurics /expiring's and meh draft assets
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Post#7 » by substancej » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:52 pm

jbk1234 wrote:If Cavs fans don't like Love on a $30M deal, they should wrap their heads around Sabonis on a 4 year rookie max because that's what's coming in the summer of 2020. Given the fact that the Pacers just traded for Warren, I suspect they'll want to send back McBuckets who I wouldn't want on his current contract.

The Cavs need to tell Love to get on the court and improve his trade value if he wants out. If he doesn't want out, then there's no need to trade him for a meh return.

With his injury history, if Love is on the trade block, I'd hope he stays far away from the court until he's actually traded.
Kevin Love finna get traded
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:52 pm

As far as the Raptors rumor, I have to imagine they'll want to send back Gasol or Ibaka both of whom would hate being shipped here. No team is paying all that money to three front court players. It would have to be a three team deal.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:00 pm

substancej wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:If Cavs fans don't like Love on a $30M deal, they should wrap their heads around Sabonis on a 4 year rookie max because that's what's coming in the summer of 2020. Given the fact that the Pacers just traded for Warren, I suspect they'll want to send back McBuckets who I wouldn't want on his current contract.

With his injury history, if Love is on the trade block, I'd hope he stays far away from the court until he's actually traded.
Yeah, you made your feelings clear. I'm willing to run that risk, you're not. Love didn't have to have that toe surgery. The Cavs told him to go ahead because it was clear it was going to be a tank season. He could've come back sooner, but again, there was no point so they were uber cautious with rehab. They did the same thing with TT, who was out far longer than he needed to be.

Trading Love after deliberately shutting him down and tanking his trade value would be stupid. But NBA teams done dumber things. If he takes the court for half a season and averages 20 and 10, you're having a very different conversation with potential trade partners.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Post#10 » by substancej » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:18 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
substancej wrote:

Yeah, you made your feelings clear. I'm willing to run that risk, you're not. Love didn't have to have that toe surgery. The Cavs told him to go ahead because it was clear it was going to be a tank season. He could've come back sooner, but again, there was no point so they were uber cautious with rehab. They did the same thing with TT, who was out far longer than he needed to be.

Trading Love after deliberately shutting him down and tanking his trade value would be stupid. But NBA teams done dumber things. If he takes the court for half a season and averages 20 and 10, you're having a very different conversation with potential trade partners.

I don't doubt that his value is incredibly low compared to his talent, but the older he gets, his value will suffer anyway. Can the Cavs really afford to unload him when he's 31 or 32?
Kevin Love finna get traded
Guzman_9
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by Guzman_9 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:22 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Guzman_9 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Turner had a strong season and i agree indy wont trade him, but your value is not realistic

I get it, and if Turner wants to be in Indy then of course you don't agree move him... he is locked up for quite awhile.
But his trade value is different imo than most in Indy would expect given the only reason they would trade him is likely if he publicly wanted out. Since he has not said that was the case they might get Jalen Brown or SGA for him from those respective orgs as both are teams that could use a guy like Turner, but I think those players are about the same value with maybe Indy getting a draft asset attached coming off such a solid season for Turner. If he demanded a trade I'm not sold they would get more than 1 rotation player like Kurics /expiring's and meh draft assets

So a C that led the league in block shots and can shoot 3s gets meh assets back? Come on now. He’s on a good contract too. Turner’s value is higher than Sabonis and Sabonis is worth more than Brown.
Pacer Fan. 8-)
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#12 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:51 pm

Guzman_9 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Guzman_9 wrote:

So a C that led the league in block shots and can shoot 3s gets meh assets back? Come on now. He’s on a good contract too. Turner’s value is higher than Sabonis and Sabonis is worth more than Brown.

I'll have to go back and look at it more, but I didn't realize Turner was draining 3's at a high rate and controlling the ball enough to warrant high usage value. His defense is elite though so maybe I am undervaluing him in trades.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:55 pm

substancej wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
substancej wrote:With his injury history, if Love is on the trade block, I'd hope he stays far away from the court until he's actually traded.

I don't doubt that his value is incredibly low compared to his talent, but the older he gets, his value will suffer anyway. Can the Cavs really afford to unload him when he's 31 or 32?
People said the same thing about Blake. It took one good season to change that perspective.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:09 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#15 » by Revenged25 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:05 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

context?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#16 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:29 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

context?

I think this is reaction to Nikola Mirotic signing a contract outside of the NBA with Barcelona
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:30 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

context?

I think this is reaction to Nikola Mirotic signing a contract outside of the NBA with Barcelona
And Denver picking up Milsap's option.

cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers