4. Johnson
5. Warren
6. Sabonis
7. Leaf
8. Turner
9. Bitgadze
10. Oladipo (inactive)
11. Bowen (2-way)

if I understand the rules we're short 2 players and they'd best be point guards.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#622 » by winter_mute_13 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:34 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Lot of guys and depth with some info to know heading into this free agency tomorrow

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/6/26/18759253/nba-free-agency-under-radar-bargain-sleepers

Nice list. Makes me kind of regret Thad probably leaving. Hopefully we keep Bogey though.

I like Sato and Lamb (who he suggests for the Pacers) and also Bullock. I've joked about the Pacers signing Ross before, after he had a big game against us (Pacers seem to do this a lot) but I don't really like his game that much.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#623 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:43 pm

Wizop wrote:Counting roster spots if the season started today

1. Holiday
2. Sumner
3. McDermott
4. Johnson
5. Warren
6. Sabonis
7. Leaf
8. Turner
9. Bitgadze
10. Oladipo (inactive)
11. Bowen (2-way)

if I understand the rules we're short 2 players and they'd best be point guards.

Bowen doesn’t count towards the 15 limit. The minimum is 14. You’re allowed to get as low as 13, but must fill the 14th spot in 14 days. Washington used this to avoid as much of the luxury tax as possible last year.

Bojan would make 11. I’d think 2 PG’s and a more natural mobile 4? A 2 guard for sure, unless we think Dougie can play it for a bit.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#624 » by Wizop » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:50 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:The minimum is 14. You’re allowed to get as low as 13, but must fill the 14th spot in 14 days.

guess I misread the cbafaq. I thought the minimum was 13.

Scoot McGroot wrote:A 2 guard for sure, unless we think Dougie can play it for a bit.

I'd be willing to ride with Dougie and Sumner although it'd be a bit of a gamble on Vic's early return. but a point guard and a combo guard is probably the safe play. CoJo perhaps.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#625 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:33 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:The minimum is 14. You’re allowed to get as low as 13, but must fill the 14th spot in 14 days.

guess I misread the cbafaq. I thought the minimum was 13.

Scoot McGroot wrote:A 2 guard for sure, unless we think Dougie can play it for a bit.

I'd be willing to ride with Dougie and Sumner although it'd be a bit of a gamble on Vic's early return. but a point guard and a combo guard is probably the safe play. CoJo perhaps.

13 is absolute minimum but only for 2 weeks at a time. League guarantees players association an average of 14 players per team over course of a season.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,275

Post#626 » by boomershadow » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:12 pm

So uhhhh....maybe.....Bojan (fingers crossed) would make 11. Starting PG would make 12. Starting SG for the beginning of the year/backup later would make 13. Third string PG would make 14 and Lance would make 15. 8-)
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#627 » by winter_mute_13 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:37 am

Not sure where to stick this...

From Zach Lowe's latest https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27076686/seven-big-questions-heading-nba-crazy-free-agency

Sources continue to say Indiana has eyes for Ricky Rubio. The Pacers can probably get him at a lower salary than Brogdon, over fewer seasons. Every dollar matters to Indiana.

I don't love the fit of Rubio alongside Victor Oladipo and the Domantas Sabonis/Myles Turner pairing. The Pacers seem committed to starting Sabonis and Turner, sources say, which makes Thaddeus Young a goner.

The league at large is skeptical about the staying power of the Sabonis/Turner duo, and that skepticism grew louder when the Pacers drafted another center -- Goga Bitadze -- last week. (Sabonis is up for what would be a big extension this summer.) Teams call about Sabonis and Turner all the time; the Pacers rejected offers for Turner at the draft, sources say. Those calls will continue.

Indiana needs to maximize shooting around Oladipo, Sabonis, and Turner. Rubio is good, but he does not do that. He does fit the tough, selfless ethos the Pacers have cultivated under Nate McMillan.

The Pacers hope to bring back Bojan Bogdanovic, sources say, and they will toggle between Sabonis/Turner lineups and smaller groups featuring T.J. Warren at power forward.

Nothing really surprising (for us), just confirmation of Sabonis or Turner at PF with Warren as the smallball variant.

8-man Rotation:

(Rubio) / (guard1)
Dipo / (guard2)
(Bojan) / Warren
Sabonis / Warren
Turner / Sabonis

At this point, I'm not willing to pencil in any of the young guys in the main rotation yet (though Holiday or Sumner will certainly see time while Dipo is out). Assuming we sign Bojan and Rubio as expected, I'd expect the remaining money to go to 2 guards or a guard and a swingman who can be in the rotation. Knowing the Pacers though, we'd probably sign another big too a la Kyle O'Quinn last year.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#628 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:48 am

winter_mute_13 wrote:8-man Rotation:

(Rubio) / (guard1)
Dipo / (guard2)
(Bojan) / Warren
Sabonis / Warren
Turner / Sabonis

At this point, I'm not willing to pencil in any of the young guys in the main rotation yet (though Holiday or Sumner will certainly see time while Dipo is out).

I think you pencil in Holiday where you have guard 1. he's more definite there than Rubio as the starter. I think you also can pencil in McDermott as guard2 and SF3. Sumner is SG3 and SF4. Goga could be C2 and Leaf C3.

the outside the box rotation could be Sabonis as C1, Goga as C2, and Turner as PF1.

Return to Indiana Pacers