ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

User avatar
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
Posts: 48,137
And1: 2,158
Joined: May 30, 2005
Location: New Jeruz
Contact:
     

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#41 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:13 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:Just renouncing Ed Davis gets us uber close to a 7 to 9 year max. He doesn't even create another cap hold, because technically you only have to account for 11 cap holds, since it's implied the signing of a free agent removes the 12th so that cap hold amount can be included in said free agents first year base salary.

TheNetsFan wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:
That team would be so good. We'd need some solid veteran minimum guys to fill out the bench but damn.

Kyrie/Dinwiddie
LeVert/Harris/Musa
Durant/Prince
Kurucs/Prince
Allen/

Lots of talent there.


Dudley i can see coming back on the minimum. Kyle O'quinn was a guy they had interest in last year who is a UFA> Wayne Ellington would be a nice crabbe replacement/Harris injury insurance. Tyson chandler would be awesome to mentor/backup allen. Rudy gay is in the ring chance stage of his career. we probably draft a backup center like rumored too

Kyrie | Dinwiddie
Harris | Ellington | Musa
Durant | Levert | Gay
Prince | Kurucs
Allen | Chandler | Rookie

I think the inclusion of the incomplete roster charges are incorrect. One, probably two of them should fall off.

1) As soon as the first non-Nets FA is signed (Irving) you have one less incomplete roster spot, so when signing the 2nd FA, you would need to account for one less.

2) My understanding is that the money held my a incomplete roster slot can be used towards signing a player. The intent is that it would get you right at the cap when you sign your 12th player. Thus only $890k under the cap after you sign #11, $1.78mil after signing #10, etc.

If I'm correct on #2, after signing Irving & waiving Napier & Graham we'd be at 10 players. FA #2 would be able to entitled to about $16.6mil. If we trade just Dinwiddie for a future asset, we'd be able to offer a guy like Harris a deal starting around $26.26mil. If we could get Tobias starting for a deal around that (or if Irving will take $32mil, so Tobias can get a round $27mil) that would be ideal.

You are correct sir.

Same concept below
I
I
I
V

vincecarter4pres wrote:Just renouncing Ed Davis gets us uber close to a 7 to 9 year max. He doesn't even create another cap hold, because technically you only have to account for 11 cap holds, since it's implied the signing of a free agent removes the 12th so that cap hold amount can be included in said free agents first year base salary.


When you have over max cap you can remove the additional as well, because it is assumed you will sign multiple players. And they come off in real time as you sign guys and can most certainly be included in base year salary.

For instance, you have more than the highest max in cap as we do now and have 10 players either under contract or their cap holds accounted for such as DLo's and draft pick holds, you don't need to account for cap holds for roster charges 11 and 12, that cap is simply open because it's assumed you're signing at least 2 more players.
Image
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
TheNetsFan
Veteran
Posts: 2,917
And1: 593
Joined: Feb 11, 2007
   

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#42 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:44 pm

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1139556102637531138&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fpublish.twitter.com%2F%3Fquery%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Ftwitter.com%252FAlbertNahmad%252Fstatus%252F1139556102637531138%26widget%3DTweet
User avatar
SpeedyG
RealGM
Posts: 15,493
And1: 1,302
Joined: Mar 07, 2003

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#43 » by SpeedyG » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:26 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:
That team would be so good. We'd need some solid veteran minimum guys to fill out the bench but damn.

Kyrie/Dinwiddie
LeVert/Harris/Musa
Durant/Prince
Kurucs/Prince
Allen/

Lots of talent there.


Dudley i can see coming back on the minimum. Kyle O'quinn was a guy they had interest in last year who is a UFA> Wayne Ellington would be a nice crabbe replacement/Harris injury insurance. Tyson chandler would be awesome to mentor/backup allen. Rudy gay is in the ring chance stage of his career. we probably draft a backup center like rumored too

Kyrie | Dinwiddie
Harris | Ellington | Musa
Durant | Levert | Gay
Prince | Kurucs
Allen | Chandler | Rookie

I think the inclusion of the incomplete roster charges are incorrect. One, probably two of them should fall off.

1) As soon as the first non-Nets FA is signed (Irving) you have one less incomplete roster spot, so when signing the 2nd FA, you would need to account for one less.

2) My understanding is that the money held my a incomplete roster slot can be used towards signing a player. The intent is that it would get you right at the cap when you sign your 12th player. Thus only $890k under the cap after you sign #11, $1.78mil after signing #10, etc.

If I'm correct on #2, after signing Irving & waiving Napier & Graham we'd be at 10 players. FA #2 would be able to entitled to about $16.6mil. If we trade just Dinwiddie for a future asset, we'd be able to offer a guy like Harris a deal starting around $26.26mil. If we could get Tobias starting for a deal around that (or if Irving will take $32mil, so Tobias can get a round $27mil) that would be ideal.
They increased the roster spot to 13, so 12 is the minimum (since it's assumed the 13th player is the one you're signing)

From Coon's Twitter page

Read on Twitter
?s=19

There's a couple of other replies (not sure what to call it on twitter) that goes in detail.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
TheNetsFan
Veteran
Posts: 2,917
And1: 593
Joined: Feb 11, 2007
   

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#44 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:56 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Dudley i can see coming back on the minimum. Kyle O'quinn was a guy they had interest in last year who is a UFA> Wayne Ellington would be a nice crabbe replacement/Harris injury insurance. Tyson chandler would be awesome to mentor/backup allen. Rudy gay is in the ring chance stage of his career. we probably draft a backup center like rumored too

Kyrie | Dinwiddie
Harris | Ellington | Musa
Durant | Levert | Gay
Prince | Kurucs
Allen | Chandler | Rookie

I think the inclusion of the incomplete roster charges are incorrect. One, probably two of them should fall off.

1) As soon as the first non-Nets FA is signed (Irving) you have one less incomplete roster spot, so when signing the 2nd FA, you would need to account for one less.

2) My understanding is that the money held my a incomplete roster slot can be used towards signing a player. The intent is that it would get you right at the cap when you sign your 12th player. Thus only $890k under the cap after you sign #11, $1.78mil after signing #10, etc.

If I'm correct on #2, after signing Irving & waiving Napier & Graham we'd be at 10 players. FA #2 would be able to entitled to about $16.6mil. If we trade just Dinwiddie for a future asset, we'd be able to offer a guy like Harris a deal starting around $26.26mil. If we could get Tobias starting for a deal around that (or if Irving will take $32mil, so Tobias can get a round $27mil) that would be ideal.
They increased the roster spot to 13, so 12 is the minimum (since it's assumed the 13th player is the one you're signing)

From Coon's Twitter page

Read on Twitter
?s=19

There's a couple of other replies (not sure what to call it on twitter) that goes in detail.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
I thought that might be the case. Great find.
User avatar
SpeedyG
RealGM
Posts: 15,493
And1: 1,302
Joined: Mar 07, 2003

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#45 » by SpeedyG » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:30 pm

2nd image from original post doesn't change much since we traded away our 1st (instead of stash).

Roster spots still count for now, but will be replaced by the two rookie 2nd, a vet min, and an exception after we cap.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
User avatar
Rockice_24
Starter
Posts: 2,174
And1: 810
Joined: Jun 15, 2011
       

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#46 » by Rockice_24 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:17 pm

Looks like we are in position to land Kyrie and KD now. By adding the 2020 first back we now get back the flexibility with all our first rounders. Without it we couldn't trade a first until 2022. That was subtle move but highly important just in case.

Got the cap space and 1st trade trade flexibility in one swift move. Well done Marks.
User avatar
JKiddy
Senior
Posts: 702
And1: 80
Joined: Jul 28, 2002

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#47 » by JKiddy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:04 pm

I just posted a hypo in the Off Season Thread. Can any Cap Expert help me?
Coeur
Analyst
Posts: 3,190
And1: 494
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#48 » by Coeur » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:23 pm

JKiddy wrote:I just posted a hypo in the Off Season Thread. Can any Cap Expert help me?

I’m really curious about nets situation right now too.


My question is can the nets sign any more free agents still sign any more free agents and then orchestrate a double sign and trade with Durant (or butler or Tobias) coming in in exchange for Russell going out in a sign and trade to wolves or magic
User avatar
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
Posts: 20,413
And1: 4,869
Joined: Jul 14, 2010

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#49 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:26 am

I don’t endorse gang activity but the Bobby Shmurda GIF of him throwing his hat up in the air and then dancing is exactly how I feel about the salary cap info.

It doesn’t matter now. The Nets team capologists will figure it out. We can just sit back and chill while the team comes together. It’s so beautiful.
knicksman422
Ballboy
Posts: 9
And1: 3
Joined: Mar 02, 2015
       

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#50 » by knicksman422 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:57 am

When I look and compare the two current rosters the Knicks have a deeper and more flexible roster. to many question marks with kyre and durrant. I prefer to have RJ Knox DSJ Mitch and Randell to build with then a head case PG and a Redshirt 33 year old Durrant coming off a major injury with a below average bench players.
User avatar
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
Posts: 32,464
And1: 9,840
Joined: Jun 29, 2005
       

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#51 » by Rich Rane » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:03 am

knicksman422 wrote:When I look and compare the two current rosters the Knicks have a deeper and more flexible roster. to many question marks with kyre and durrant. I prefer to have RJ Knox DSJ Mitch and Randell to build with then a head case PG and a Redshirt 33 year old Durrant coming off a major injury with a below average bench players.


You should probably deal with your five stages on the Knicks Board.
brook
Senior
Posts: 681
And1: 92
Joined: Jul 10, 2016
 

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#52 » by brook » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:17 am

knicksman422 wrote:When I look and compare the two current rosters the Knicks have a deeper and more flexible roster. to many question marks with kyre and durrant. I prefer to have RJ Knox DSJ Mitch and Randell to build with then a head case PG and a Redshirt 33 year old Durrant coming off a major injury with a below average bench players.
Yeah sure

Inviato dal mio ALE-L21 utilizzando Tapatalk
User avatar
SpeedyG
RealGM
Posts: 15,493
And1: 1,302
Joined: Mar 07, 2003

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#53 » by SpeedyG » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:25 am

Can unsticky now.

2019 off season was a success everyone!

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
User avatar
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,559
And1: 949
Joined: Feb 18, 2012
Location: CT
   

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#54 » by Keith Van Horn » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:32 pm

knicksman422 wrote:When I look and compare the two current rosters the Knicks have a deeper and more flexible roster. to many question marks with kyre and durrant. I prefer to have RJ Knox DSJ Mitch and Randell to build with then a head case PG and a Redshirt 33 year old Durrant coming off a major injury with a below average bench players.

I too would rather have a pile of rocks than one of the 15 greatest players of all time.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

To your point... no you wouldn't. You would much rather have Kyrie and Durant. Don't lie to yourself to help cope with the pain. Just stop. If you signed both KD and Kyrie, the city would still be cleaning up the confetti from all the parades Supreme Leader Dolan would've thrown.

Kyrie is at least 100 times better than anyone on the Knicks.
Dinwiddie is better than every single Knicks guard.
The scope of depth of the Nets roster is just so much better than the Knicks. Don't argue with facts. 17 is not greater than 42, unless you want to judge basketball wins using golf scoring logic.

The Knicks have some good, solid players, don't get me wrong. But you can't compare the teams at this point. It's comical.
nycefnl wrote: Summer league is proving how little they have in Jarrett Allen too....he's a wasted pick.

July 2018
User avatar
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,559
And1: 949
Joined: Feb 18, 2012
Location: CT
   

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#55 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:41 pm

Is there any way to shift this thread into a 2020 off-season cap guide?

I know it might not seem necessary yet but I was wondering what our cap situation looks like for next summer. Doesn't the $5 million from Deron Williams finally come off?

And Joe Harris is up, wondering what we do with him. I think either as a starter or bench guy, Harris needs to be kept. I remember Prok looked it up and Harris's games missed last year were a disaster. He's super important to this team's playstyle and dynamic.
nycefnl wrote: Summer league is proving how little they have in Jarrett Allen too....he's a wasted pick.

July 2018
Kaiser30
Senior
Posts: 703
And1: 172
Joined: May 24, 2015
 

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#56 » by Kaiser30 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:43 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:Is there any way to shift this thread into a 2020 off-season cap guide?

I know it might not seem necessary yet but I was wondering what our cap situation looks like for next summer. Doesn't the $5 million from Deron Williams finally come off?

And Joe Harris is up, wondering what we do with him. I think either as a starter or bench guy, Harris needs to be kept. I remember Prok looked it up and Harris's games missed last year were a disaster. He's super important to this team's playstyle and dynamic.

Nothing particularly special as the Nets will be an over the cap team anyway.

But here is some basic computation because I'm curious about the potential luxury tax bill as well:

KD $40,108,950*
Kyrie $33,329,100*
Dinwiddie $11,454,048
Jordan $10,375,678
Allen $3,909,902 (TO picked up)
Musa $2,002,800 (TO picked up)
Kurucs $1,780,152
Claxton $1,517,981

= 104,478,611

Luxury tax line 2020-2021 is currently projected at 143,000,000.

That leaves the Nets with approx. 40m under the tax line prior to re-signing LeVert, Harris and potentially Prince.

Not including Temple (5m team option), Nwaba (Non-guaranteed minimum deal), Pinson (minimum deal with team option), potential MLE signing (approx. 10m) as well as next year's draft pick(s).


As a conclusion, re-signing all of LeVert, Harris and Prince may turn out to be too expensive unless Marks works his magic and signs them to team friendly deals. Keep in mind that both Dinwiddie and Allen will have to be re-signed in the subsequent summer (2021) with no other money coming off the books. Same again with Musa and Kurucs in 2022. So this will have to be considered when making deals next summer.

With Harris, some teams may be tempted to offer him big money on a per year level but only for two or three years. I'd have zero issues with signing him to a four year deal considering that his game as a shooter will likely age nicely and that a lower annual salary could safe a significant amount of luxury tax. Joe seems to be pretty down to earth and I don't think - or at least hope - money won't be his only priority.

I'm very curious to see how far Prokhorov/Tsai will open their wallets and it's hard to imagine that Marks will be able to keep everyone.


*Final cap hit depending on achieving bonuses that are currently deemed unlikely
User avatar
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,559
And1: 949
Joined: Feb 18, 2012
Location: CT
   

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#57 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Kaiser30 wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:Is there any way to shift this thread into a 2020 off-season cap guide?

I know it might not seem necessary yet but I was wondering what our cap situation looks like for next summer. Doesn't the $5 million from Deron Williams finally come off?

And Joe Harris is up, wondering what we do with him. I think either as a starter or bench guy, Harris needs to be kept. I remember Prok looked it up and Harris's games missed last year were a disaster. He's super important to this team's playstyle and dynamic.

Nothing particularly special as the Nets will be an over the cap team anyway.

But here is some basic computation because I'm curious about the potential luxury tax bill as well:

KD $40,108,950*
Kyrie $33,329,100*
Dinwiddie $11,454,048
Jordan $10,375,678
Allen $3,909,902 (TO picked up)
Musa $2,002,800 (TO picked up)
Kurucs $1,780,152
Claxton $1,517,981

= 104,478,611

Luxury tax line 2020-2021 is currently projected at 143,000,000.

That leaves the Nets with approx. 40m under the tax line prior to re-signing LeVert, Harris and potentially Prince.

Not including Temple (5m team option), Nwaba (Non-guaranteed minimum deal), Pinson (minimum deal with team option), potential MLE signing (approx. 10m) as well as next year's draft pick(s).


As a conclusion, re-signing all of LeVert, Harris and Prince may turn out to be too expensive unless Marks works his magic and signs them to team friendly deals. Keep in mind that both Dinwiddie and Allen will have to be re-signed in the subsequent summer (2021) with no other money coming off the books. Same again with Musa and Kurucs in 2022. So this will have to be considered when making deals next summer.

With Harris, some teams may be tempted to offer him big money on a per year level but only for two or three years. I'd have zero issues with signing him to a four year deal considering that his game as a shooter will likely age nicely and that a lower annual salary could safe a significant amount of luxury tax. Joe seems to be pretty down to earth and I don't think - or at least hope - money won't be his only priority.

I'm very curious to see how far Prokhorov/Tsai will open their wallets and it's hard to imagine that Marks will be able to keep everyone.


*Final cap hit depending on achieving bonuses that are currently deemed unlikely

Thanks!

That $40 million number was the one I was looking for.

Super interesting to see about Levert, Harris, and Prince.

I know we all think Levert can be a special kind of player, so there's a growing sense we may see an early extension for him.

Harris is going to be a tough decision. If he has another year like last year, he'll probably move into the 10+ a year range, and that might be out of our price range.

Prince is probably a wait and see.

Seems it could come down to Levert and either Harris or Prince.
nycefnl wrote: Summer league is proving how little they have in Jarrett Allen too....he's a wasted pick.

July 2018
User avatar
SpeedyG
RealGM
Posts: 15,493
And1: 1,302
Joined: Mar 07, 2003

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#58 » by SpeedyG » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:16 pm

Not really sure it's worth it to look at 2020 cap since we will be over the cap. Barring trades and exception signing, we have our roster for the foreseeable future

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 31,604
And1: 11,813
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#59 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:51 am

knicksman422 wrote:When I look and compare the two current rosters the Knicks have a deeper and more flexible roster. to many question marks with kyre and durrant. I prefer to have RJ Knox DSJ Mitch and Randell to build with then a head case PG and a Redshirt 33 year old Durrant coming off a major injury with a below average bench players.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry I missed this.

You need to stop posting on here drunk. Your feelings are obviously hurting badly after this offseason's results.

Don't worry fam, I'll come looking for you when we blow you out in October. Don't hide neither.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
JoseRizal
Head Coach
Posts: 6,616
And1: 1,007
Joined: Oct 21, 2010
 

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#60 » by JoseRizal » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:59 pm

knicksman422 wrote:When I look and compare the two current rosters the Knicks have a deeper and more flexible roster. to many question marks with kyre and durrant. I prefer to have RJ Knox DSJ Mitch and Randell to build with then a head case PG and a Redshirt 33 year old Durrant coming off a major injury with a below average bench players.


One-legged Durant over anyone on your roster

Return to Brooklyn Nets