ImageImageImage

Danny Ainge is an incredible GM

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Re: Danny Ainge is an incredible GM 

Post#61 » by gocelts » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:10 am

I guess we “gifted” KG and Piece to the Nets?

I guess the Sixers gifted us Tatum and a pick for .......FULTZ?

Were we gifted Stevens after Doc rolled?

That Thornton for IT move was a gift I guess too.

I know the haters only think about Giddons (not that championship we got two weeks before) and Olynyk (whom actually is a solid player) but Danny has already constructed 2 different Celtics teams where the core has been in the playoffs and ECF. And hes continuing with this group now.

Depending on Dannys next move...he is on the verge of rebuilding in just two weeks this month where other teams fool their fan base into a “rebuild” and tank for years. What he's doing right now inspite of what BS Kyrie has done is truely remarkable. There really is NO ONE better.
~gocelts
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,967

Post#62 » by sam_I_am » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:22 am

gocelts wrote:I guess we “gifted” KG and Piece to the Nets?

I guess the Sixers gifted us Tatum and a pick for .......FULTZ?

Were we gifted Stevens after Doc rolled?

That Thornton for IT move was a gift I guess too.

I know the haters only think about Giddons (not that championship we got two weeks before) and Olynyk (whom actually is a solid player) but Danny has already constructed 2 different Celtics teams where the core has been in the playoffs and ECF. And hes continuing with this group now.

Depending on Dannya next move...he is on the verge of rebuilding in just two weeks this month where other teams fool their fan base into a “rebuild” and tank for years.

Odd thing....was watching on ESPN an old skills competition for HS basketball players in 2003. The finals for dunk competition was Lebron against JR Giddens and Von Wafer.

m haynes
Junior
And1: 133

Post#63 » by m haynes » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:10 pm

ZeroTolerance wrote:
m haynes wrote: That team sucked! They were so bad and boring, I would watch Hallmark movies with the wife!

You poor bastard!.......That"s brutal! :D

I mean my better half won't watch sports in prime time either and I usually watch the replays late at night....But the Hallmark channel?....Chick flick city!

You need to start a "man's rights" movement my friend! :)
:D :D :D :D :D :D
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,967

Post#64 » by sam_I_am » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:29 pm

m haynes wrote:
ZeroTolerance wrote:
m haynes wrote: That team sucked! They were so bad and boring, I would watch Hallmark movies with the wife!

I mean my better half won't watch sports in prime time either and I usually watch the replays late at night....But the Hallmark channel?....Chick flick city!

Hallmark is terrible.....and I bet it was more entertaining and less emasculating to watch than Celtics were last year.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#65 » by Spin Move » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:02 pm

Ainge is a very good GM but he made a mistake not moving Rozier and maybe Morris last year to free up the load and keep peace in the locker room. There were too many mouths to feed and just 1 ball to many guys gunning for more money in free agency. We don't know what would have happend, Rozier was wanted by Phoenix for a 1st Morris would have been easy to flip.

Ainge had bad luck in Sacramentgo having a great season and our pick dropping, I like that he was able to get another pick next year and he smartly moved Baynes to Phoenix to free up the cap space needed to sign Kemba, however next season we will be minus Morris, Kyrie, Al, Terry and Baynes, while adding Kemba and a center to be named later. We have major frontcourt issue.

With that said, we still have the Memphis pick, all of our picks, the bucks picks and hope for a trade for whenever a good big wants to force his way out of where they are at if GH is back to 95% of his old self this season and the young Jays progress we are in good shape going forward. Ainge recovered well from some bad luck (Davis forcing his way to LA, Kyries hissy fits) but he made some mistakes along the way, still he is clearly a top 3 GM in the NBA and we are lucky to be in the spot we are.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#66 » by Tiny ball » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:25 pm

Spin Move wrote:Ainge is a very good GM but he made a mistake not moving Rozier and maybe Morris last year to free up the load and keep peace in the locker room. There were too many mouths to feed and just 1 ball to many guys gunning for more money in free agency. We don't know what would have happend, Rozier was wanted by Phoenix for a 1st Morris would have been easy to flip.

Ainge had bad luck in Sacramentgo having a great season and our pick dropping, I like that he was able to get another pick next year and he smartly moved Baynes to Phoenix to free up the cap space needed to sign Kemba, however next season we will be minus Morris, Kyrie, Al, Terry and Baynes, while adding Kemba and a center to be named later. We have major frontcourt issue.

With that said, we still have the Memphis pick, all of our picks, the bucks picks and hope for a trade for whenever a good big wants to force his way out of where they are at if GH is back to 95% of his old self this season and the young Jays progress we are in good shape going forward. Ainge recovered well from some bad luck (Davis forcing his way to LA, Kyries hissy fits) but he made some mistakes along the way, still he is clearly a top 3 GM in the NBA and we are lucky to be in the spot we are.
I promise to not fly to Oregon or Utah at this point to piss on his grave. I'm sure in Oregon there will be long line anyway.
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,344

Post#67 » by Red2 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:06 pm

I like Danny but this past season and off season = no bueno
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#68 » by Maple Green » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:25 am

Imagine if we get AD one year rental (He is going to LA)
Imagine if we get PG one year rental (OKC) to LA Clippers
Imagine if get Kawhi one year rental (Toronto) to LA Clippers

What happen on our future.

Thank you Danny Ainge for carefully evaluate everything.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#69 » by soxfan2003 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:35 am

Maple Green wrote:Imagine if we get AD one year rental (He is going to LA)

Acquiring AD would have been dumb given the price paid.

OKC did incredibly well with their 2 year Paul George rental. It was more like a rebuilding heist for OKC now that they have flipped him for 2 players, 5 first round picks and the rights to 2 first round swaps.
As for Kawhi, a bad move to not go after him since the rental price seemed pretty darn reasonable for a one year rental. Leonard did help deliver an NBA championship to Toronto. Maybe Leonard doesn't win it all with Celtics that first year but maybe he stays if Uncle Dennis ends up liking Boston.
claycarver
Sixth Man
And1: 2,099

Post#70 » by claycarver » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:58 am

So, everyone seems to love Danny's draft this year. There was a bitch fest right after the draft, but now that everyone's seen them play, rave reviews.

But, say all these guys end up flaming out for whatever reason. Williams shows flashes of Draymond, but his 3 point shot never comes along and he can't stay in front of wings. Edwards shot fails him. Langford's hand is reinjured and he never gets right. Tacko never catches up to the pace of the NBA.

Will that mean Danny had a bad draft, or is there something about the development of a player AFTER they enter the NBA that is unknowable? In other words, do we give GM's too much credit by observing the final product of a player rather than the potential they demonstrate when first drafted?
LongTimeFan
Analyst
And1: 292

Post#71 » by LongTimeFan » Tue Jul 9, 2019 10:03 am

I think DA is quite good at implementing the Harvard Business School model of management. The emotional problem with that is that that is not the Celtic's or their fans' prevailing culture. Hence, you get back stabbing bickering.

Kryie for all his talent actually said the earth was flat. Our culture is a combination of crazy Englishmen that picked a fight with the world's super power, Irishmen, the "white chimpanzees" that that super power tried to starve to death & Italians that gave us the Renaissance and Mafia. Boston is the Hub of the universe. Who in their Boston mind thinks a "flat earther" is going to fit into our culture? Obviously, someone from Utah who believes in the Harvard Business way of throwing our lower classes under the bus for their personal profit. DA has no sense of loyalty, our dominant virtue.

I fully expect this team to do better, much better, than last year's team and to do it with less talent. And not because of DA, but rather, because of contractual chaos.
celticgreenie
Junior
And1: 269

Post#72 » by celticgreenie » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:05 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:
Maple Green wrote:Imagine if we get AD one year rental (He is going to LA)

Acquiring AD would have been dumb given the price paid.

OKC did incredibly well with their 2 year Paul George rental. It was more like a rebuilding heist for OKC now that they have flipped him for 2 players, 5 first round picks and the rights to 2 first round swaps.
As for Kawhi, a bad move to not go after him since the rental price seemed pretty darn reasonable for a one year rental. Leonard did help deliver an NBA championship to Toronto. Maybe Leonard doesn't win it all with Celtics that first year but maybe he stays if Uncle Dennis ends up liking Boston.

Hmm. I've thought about it too, recently thinking Ainge made a mistake not trading for Kawhi. However, even though I'm not the biggest Jaylen Brown fan, promising wings are hard to come by. Plus, the chemistry between Kawhi and Kyrie would have been iffy. Leonard was in a great situation in Toronto where there was less ego, and more team play.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#73 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:13 pm

LongTimeFan wrote: DA has no sense of loyalty, our dominant virtue.

Ainge was traded away himself.

Red also once traded away a guy who was five years into what would be a seven consecutive year all-star streak, just to get a draft pick.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fantaxp7
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,602

Post#74 » by Fantaxp7 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:20 pm

Spin Move wrote:Ainge is a very good GM but he made a mistake not moving Rozier and maybe Morris last year to free up the load and keep peace in the locker room. There were too many mouths to feed and just 1 ball to many guys gunning for more money in free agency. We don't know what would have happend, Rozier was wanted by Phoenix for a 1st Morris would have been easy to flip.

Ainge was banking too hard on things falling into line. Really was the best scenario for us if our guys figured their crap out.

I feel like Rozier and Morris are those luxury bench players you have on good championship teams. Similar to Posey for us, he got that big contract the year after being great off the bench. He really went all in with them and if the team played as expected, they could/should have been huge off the bench for us.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#75 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:15 am

sam_I_am wrote:
m haynes wrote:
ZeroTolerance wrote:

Hallmark is terrible.....and I bet it was more entertaining and less emasculating to watch than Celtics were last year.

I don't watch Hallmark stuff, but not all women's fiction is terrible. I'm quite fond of romance writing, not coincidentally to the fact that I'm married to a romance novelist. In fact, I edit her stuff, and since some of it achieves best-seller status, I'm the editor of some best-selling erotic romances. :)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#76 » by Ernest » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:51 am

That's easy to say in retrospect. At the time the goal was getting to the finals. That was a reasonable goal with the talent we had. Morris did play well in the playoffs, so Ainge was right to keep him. We won the first game in Mil so it's not like there was no way we could beat them. Things could have worked out a little different and we win that series, maybe more, maybe Kyrie plays much better and stays. Then we get AD or KD. Those things all had reasonable chances at the deadline, so it's hard to fault Ainge for not seeing the future and trading guys who would walk early.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,801

Post#77 » by Parliament10 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:02 am

Danny Ainge has maintained his composure through all the Free Agency/Early Off-season actions.
He seems to have done well, thus far.

I think though, that we need a Starting PF. And that ain't Tatum.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#78 » by Parliament10 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:59 pm

I like Danny's Training Camp competition setup.
Just curious who the other 2 Invitees are going to be.

I'm also very curious about this whole lack of a Starting PF.
I hope that this isn't the "poison pill" that bites us.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
UHar_Vinnie
Bench Warmer
And1: 425

Post#79 » by UHar_Vinnie » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:41 am

Is Danny still working with that brain type "doctor"? I haven't heard anything about that guy in years . . . But then Danny deftly avoided Fultz. :)
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#80 » by Parliament10 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:50 am

Repost:

Pay attn to Danny Ainge sitting in btwn courts, at the Team USA Practice in LA.
Remember, 4 of his Celtics are there.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics