2019 Free Agency

Moderator: G R E Y

imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

2019 Free Agency 

Post#1 » by imagump1313 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:19 pm

Would you like to make a sticky for league FA Grey? I know we don't get a lot of chatter here lately.

Not just for the Spurs because I think it will be pretty quiet for us, but for Spurs fans to react to signings around the league and how they may effect us.

With the Warriors injuries I think 2019/2020 will be wide open for nearly a dozen of teams to have a chance to make a run, including us if certain things go right.
Even if Leonard stays in Toronto, I really don't consider the Raptors some insurmountable team like the Warriors were.
I'm not afraid of the Lakers, even with Davis. I don't think his huge numbers amount to wins. They never have.
Houston seems to have no clue as to what they are doing.
Philly definitely has no clue and are an Embid injury away from folding.
Boston is suddenly a huge question mark.
Milwaukee has big questions.
Denver, Portland and OKC are on just a slightly higher level than we are and that could all change with an injury or someone having a breakout season.
The Warriors even with all the injuries could still be the most solid team.

With a dedicated DeRozan and Aldridge, a healthy Murray, a bit more growth from our young guys, a good under the radar FA signing? I think with a little luck we could could have just as good of chance as anyone in 2020.

Anyway, I cant wait to see how thinks pan out later and see all the panic moves and overspending that is about to happen.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Re: 2019 Free Agency 

Post#2 » by imagump1313 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:48 pm

First rumor for us I see is there is talk about Frank Kaminsky.

I like him but he doesn't really address our needs IMO but if he is cheap and we still have a little flexibility I wouldn't mind.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,441

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:13 pm

Done! Good thread, gump. Just got in. Hopefully Bojan finally comes our way... somehow. We'd need to clear some cap space or do something with the Pacers if he's set on us, so difficult, but not impossible.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:21 pm

Rudy's back with us!
Read on Twitter

$16M/yr? Holy ****. Luckily the term is short. Rudy still makes his money, and the length favours us. I guess we used his Early Bird rights. Glad we got it done. Welcome back, Rudy!

This was always going to be the first domino. The first of how many remains to be seen...

EDIT to add:
Read on Twitter

Unfinished business (someone tell LMA /jk. Sort of... just smarting from the memory of that final play whenever I think about it...). I love the confidence.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by imagump1313 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:36 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:Rudy's back with us!
Read on Twitter

$16M/yr? Holy ****. Luckily the term is short. Rudy still makes his money, and the length favours us. I guess we used his Early Bird rights. Glad we got it done. Welcome back, Rudy!

This was always going to be the first domino. The first of how many remains to be seen...

Yikes! Thats a big amount. I like Rudy though. We still got 3 vets that have never sniffed a championship. Hopefully that is motivation.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by imagump1313 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:40 pm

Durant and Irving to Brooklin? Interesting and surprising.
Not a concern for us because they are in the East. I'm afraid they aren't winning any championships there IMO. Durant will never be the player he was sad to say.

Look, we got Rudy who is the biggest success story coming off that injury there is, and 3 years later he still isn't the Rudy Gay we all remember.

The Nets will be better in the short term though and at least relevant. Its probably just me but these signings remind of of the Pierce, Garnett trade with equal chance to blow up in their faces
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by imagump1313 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:36 pm

Utah has gotten a lot better but even with the moves I still dont think their roster is any better than ours.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#8 » by G R E Y » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:37 pm

Well **** there goes Bojan, and to the Jazz at that. Just bolsters them, but they were in a PO position on paper anyway.
Too bad, but can't make someone come if they don't want to or if it's going to hurt the team to have made the cap space work.

GSW will be without KD and Klay this season, and without KD for good. They actually look human. I've seen rumblings of Nets maybe facilitating DLo to GSW now, so if they lose Cook, this is a big upgrade. Still, they're vulnerable coming into next season at this point. We'll see where other chips fall.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:52 pm

Also, JJ to the Pels, so they're bolstering their roster well. Still, it's a lot of new players, a starting rookie (albeit a great one). Will they improve 15+ games now so as to make a push for the PO's? Wins and losses aren't decided on paper, so we'll see.

With Rudy now on board, we have $9.2M MLE. Given Rudy's deal expires more or less along with DeMar's and LMA's, it may be the case that those players Spurs were said to be interested in wanted longer deals and we have not yet budged from that. Bojan, Thad Young, for instance, signed for longer deals. Maybe Kaminsky is still play after all. Stanley Johnson?

A likelier scenario is acquisition via trade. I bet said potential player has a maximum of two years left on his contract.

There's clearly a plan in place with all the contracts we have and the future ones we're shaping up for.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#10 » by G R E Y » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:42 pm

Well with us not giving two-way F Ben Moore a QO, and with Rudy re-signing, we had 14 players on the roster. Word has it that if Rudy re-signed, we'd be looking for a backup big. So of course enter a SF, and one that was not really on the popular radar:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Very solid deal shoring up a position of need. Of course, two years. Lots of money coming off our books at that time, and we will have to pay some of our young guys then, too.

We now stand at 15 guaranteed contracts. We still have some MLE left, but unless we move or waive someone, this may be it. We'll see...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by imagump1313 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:04 am

Stanley Johnson? YUCK. That dude cant play. Given he was on Detroit who do not know how to develop players but seeing him close up makes me think he will not amount to anything in this league.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by imagump1313 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:07 am

I admit to not paying much attention to Carroll. I remember him being a big hustle guy. Can he shoot threes?
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,470

Post#13 » by Ballings7 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:22 am

S. Johnson is actually a very good, willing defender that can bring the ball up, rebound, and is a problem around the paint for anyone to deal with. Inconsistent shooter, has shown at times he can string together some shots from several games I've seen, but pretty sure the Spurs would fix him and get him right, along with get him to be a more confident and efficient finisher.

Would be a nice small project because he only really needs his shot fixed, and is still young with above-average physical tools at SF and PF.

Carroll is a reliable 3/D guy that can board and is tough. Good size, can play 3 and 4. Solid pick up for needed 3 spot basically complete hole last year. Upgrade over Q-Pon. Hope to see Keldon Johnson get some minutes there as well (who probably takes over Q-Pon's minutes).
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#14 » by G R E Y » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:36 am

imagump1313 wrote:I admit to not paying much attention to Carroll. I remember him being a big hustle guy. Can he shoot threes?

Read on Twitter

Versatility, great hustle, career 36% from 3, averaged 11/4 last season, a bit lower than the one prior. It's not a sexy choice who's name was bandied about out there, but we've done well to strengthen our depth and plug defensive holes as well as a position of need for us.

EDIT to add:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by imagump1313 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:45 am

Bucks have gone backwards IMO.
I LOVE Tobias but him signing in Philly means I can never root for him.
Rubio going to Phoenix? WTF is he thinking?
Soo many teams overspending. That is good for us because they will all be strapped for years.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,233

Post#16 » by Papi_swav » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:51 am

GREY 1769 wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:I admit to not paying much attention to Carroll. I remember him being a big hustle guy. Can he shoot threes?

Read on Twitter

Versatility, great hustle, career 36% from 3, averaged 11/4 last season, a bit lower than the one prior. It's not a sexy choice who's name was bandied about out there, but we've done well to strengthen our depth and plug defensive holes as well as a position of need for us.

Yes DMC is great and you guys will love him . He can pretty much do it all and he leaves it all on the court. Will be great for your bench, will definitely miss him up here in Brooklyn.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#17 » by G R E Y » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:55 am

Yeah I think Stanley Johnson is a reclamation project, and with a full roster, one with players now with a higher floor and ceiling, I don't know how he fits. Not sure why he hasn't figured things out yet. We have a bit left of our MLE, but unless we somehow make room for him, perhaps our interest and his availability have passed one another.

Anyway, here's an update on our situation, and potential moves:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by imagump1313 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:43 am

Horford to Philly is a surprise. Still dont think that helps them rise above anyone else since they lost Reddick and Butler
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by imagump1313 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:44 am

GREY 1769 wrote:Yeah I think Stanley Johnson is a reclamation project, and with a full roster, one with players now with a higher floor and ceiling, I don't know how he fits. Not sure why he hasn't figured things out yet. We have a bit left of our MLE, but unless we somehow make room for him, perhaps our interest and his availability have passed one another.

Anyway, here's an update on our situation, and potential moves:

Like I said everything I've seen of Johnson in Detroit has been fail.
In his defense though it was Detroit. If we can pick him up for nothing it might be worth a look
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#20 » by G R E Y » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:41 am

imagump1313 wrote:Horford to Philly is a surprise. Still dont think that helps them rise above anyone else since they lost Reddick and Butler

It's been a whirlwind of player movement and while some acquisitions are clearly good fits (at least on paper) and others are clearly head scratchers, this one is TBD. They're a huge team with Horford signing on which will be hard to play against, and got Josh Richardson back as Butler S&T, so not a total loss. Simmons' shot has to improve... right? They got one of Chip's development guys to help with that, and negotiating a new contract has to be some motivation. It's shocking and weird to be talking about a pro player who hasn't put enough work into his shooting, but IF he figures it out at least somewhat, they're still a dangerous team.

Butler staying East is better for us, and even though JJ is coming West, we have players who offset what he does when we play Pels.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs