Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Andre Iguodala to Memphis 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:45 am

Read on Twitter

This move is the result of the Warriors moving in on DeAngelo Russell in a S&T deal with the Nets.

Good move to get a couple of picks back. Who knew AI had that kind of value. :o
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: Andre Iguodala to Memphis 

Post#2 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:13 am

Is it 3 1sts to take on The Mole ??? that just seems like a lot.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#3 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:40 am

skywalker33 wrote:Is it 3 1sts to take on The Mole ??? that just seems like a lot.

No it is just one pick. Those are the protections.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#4 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:41 am

I love this deal. Iggy can likely be flipped later on plus he can mentor the young guys for a bit while he is here.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#5 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:44 am

Iggy's expiring & a lightly protected FRP for 17m cap space.

I wonder if Minnesota balked at Memphis asking price? because GS can't consumate this deal without Memphis taking on Iggy.

Question, can Russel still be flipped?.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#6 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:46 am

Whole Truth wrote:Iggy's expiring & a lightly protected FRP for 17m cap space.

I wonder if Minnesota balked at Memphis asking price? because GS can't consumate this deal without Memphis taking on Iggy.

Yes but not immediately. I'm not sure how long until he can be moved.

EDIT: Sounds like Dec 15th is when he can be traded

As for MIN balking, it may have been as simple as Russell preferred GS. We probably will never know.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:28 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Iggy's expiring & a lightly protected FRP for 17m cap space.

Yes but not immediately. I'm not sure how long until he can be moved.

EDIT: Sounds like Dec 15th is when he can be traded

As for MIN balking, it may have been as simple as Russell preferred GS. We probably will never know.

A forum moderator said on the main board that Russel can be flipped before the 6th. If not then Dec 15. Minnesota have 5 days to turn Wiggins/Culver into Russell.

The cap space created for Russell was either Memphis TPE for Teague 19, which ended up being Iggy 17m for TPE where Memphis get a slightly protected FRP for helping to absorb Russel from Nets in a S&T.

Memphis have 8 players at the SF/PF position where GS need a starter, depth.

Minnesota still want Russell, who's a bad fit with GS.

I was telling SD yesterday that Kat posted in his cryptic Dloading post that they can't say anything till the 6th. Which surprise is the deadline for Russell to be flipped if possible. (I originally didn't know why the 6th was so important, now I know).

Russell was signed for 25m per

- Minnesota trade - (Wiggins 27m, Culver 5m) for (Russell 25m, Korver 7m/3m G)

- GS trade - (Retained asset - Russell) for (Crowder 7.6m, K.Anderson 9m, Miles 8m - SF/PF depth)

- Memphis trade - (Crowder 7.8m, K. Anderson 9m, Miles 8m, Korver 7.6m) 32m out for (Wiggins 27m, Culver 5m) 32m in

The pick GS supposedly owe to Nets coming from Minnesota.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:40 pm

Timberwolves tweet from yesterday prior to GS picking up Russell.

Verified account

@Timberwolves
Follow
Follow @Timberwolves

More
Free agency “starts” “now.”

We can’t tell you anything until July 6.
3:00 PM - 30 Jun 2019
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:33 pm

With this trade, GSW have 5 players & 18.2m below the hard cap to fill out 9 roster slots.

Memphis who facilitated the salary dump to net Russel have 9 players at the SF/PF position (3J, Crowder, Parsons, Clarke, Anderson, Iggy, Miles, Bruno, Brooks) with a need to drop players ... or consolidate these players into 1. With the 17m TPE already used to net Russell from the Nets.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#10 » by SD2042 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:48 pm

Whole Truth wrote:With this trade, GSW have 5 players & 18.2m below the hard cap to fill out 9 roster slots.

Memphis who facilitated the salary dump to net Russel have 9 players at the SF/PF position (3J, Crowder, Parsons, Clarke, Anderson, Iggy, Miles, Bruno, Brooks) with a need to drop players ... or consolidate these players into 1. With the 17m TPE already used to net Russell from the Nets.

I wonder if any of these guys can net a potential player for the SG position?

Better question. Do the Grizzlies have enough to sign another from free agency for the SG position?
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:44 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:With this trade, GSW have 5 players & 18.2m below the hard cap to fill out 9 roster slots.

I wonder if any of these guys can net a potential player for the SG position?

Better question. Do the Grizzlies have enough to sign another from free agency for the SG position?

I think they will address their wing consolidation in trade. They have to many peices currently on roster to sign another one.

& I still think they will be consolidated into Wiggins/Culver. With a 4-1 trade to GS & Russell heading to Minnesota.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Post#12 » by BarbaGrizz » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:02 pm

Love this trade
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#13 » by jman3134 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:56 pm

I want to be excited and not be the debbie downer of this board, but I'm not happy about this. Open to hearing other perspectives and hopeful my opinion can be swayed here.

We trade Conley and acquire a late 1st in this draft (which had esp limited value b/c most close to the draft felt picks 12-50 had similar level talent) as well as a 2021/2022 first with solid protections & Jae. To me, this means we are banking on contending 3 years from now and not surround Clarke and Ja with the requisite talent to win now. Iggy and Korver are on their last legs, and with the 2024 draft pick, who knows what will happen with the Warriors at that point in time?

I am very much hoping this picture is incomplete and we are going to unload a bunch of guys for picks/as part of a second DLo deal. But, I can't respond to something that hasn't happened. And, I think we are in a worse bargaining position than we were before this trade. Importantly, who is Iggy mentoring on our wing?

We need shooting and we still haven't addressed this. Korver is a world class shooter, but it is difficult to justify playing him as he ages because he becomes more and more a liability on D.

I think we are kicking the can to 2022 and praying Ja and JJ aren't fed up by then.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#14 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:17 pm

jman3134 wrote:I want to be excited and not be the debbie downer of this board, but I'm not happy about this. Open to hearing other perspectives and hopeful my opinion can be swayed here.

We trade Conley and acquire a late 1st in this draft (which had esp limited value b/c most close to the draft felt picks 12-50 had similar level talent) as well as a 2021/2022 first with solid protections & Jae. To me, this means we are banking on contending 3 years from now and not surround Clarke and Ja with the requisite talent to win now. Iggy and Korver are on their last legs, and with the 2024 draft pick, who knows what will happen with the Warriors at that point in time?

I am very much hoping this picture is incomplete and we are going to unload a bunch of guys for picks/as part of a second DLo deal. But, I can't respond to something that hasn't happened. And, I think we are in a worse bargaining position than we were before this trade. Importantly, who is Iggy mentoring on our wing?

We need shooting and we still haven't addressed this. Korver is a world class shooter, but it is difficult to justify playing him as he ages because he becomes more and more a liability on D.

I think we are kicking the can to 2022 and praying Ja and JJ aren't fed up by then.

I think the pick being so lightly protected and at a time when the GSW core should be older and declining makes it an appealing asset to use in a trade. It gives us ammo to get Ja/JJJ some help in a couple years which will be important. I also think Iggy can likely be flipped. Bazemore+protected 1st, Mozgov+protected 1st, or Shumpert S&T+protected 1st. Crowder should also be flipped (and Korver if we can). Portland doesn't have a quality PF on their roster right now so maybe they would be interested in Crowder.

As for shooting, we did sign that random international guy who looks like a sharpshooter. I know nothing else about him.

Our team has an 8m TPE, multiple good vets on expiring contracts, the full MLE, and an unsigned Wright that we can use to keep adding assets. Next offseason we will have a ton of cap space and can go for more salary dumps or chase a pretty decent RFA class. I expect us to have more trades coming either now or before the deadline for some of our expiring vets. Right now, we have two appealing future picks owed to us. Add a few more assets by the deadline and we actually have the beginnings of a war chest and potentially bright future.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#15 » by SD2042 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:37 pm

jman3134 wrote:I want to be excited and not be the debbie downer of this board, but I'm not happy about this. Open to hearing other perspectives and hopeful my opinion can be swayed here.

Scoring should be address as well. How much of a priority the Grizzlies will put into it is anyone's guess. With the rebuild in session, these players will be assess and determined whether they are worth building around or can be use as asset in future trades. As for the vets like Iggy and Korver, there are rumors that Iggy will agree to a buyout and looks to walk to the Lakers. As for Korver, I can't where he stands right now and the Grizzlies haven't said much neither on him. With all these forwards on the roster, it's well obvious that trades will happen between now and beginning of the season. So far, the roster is still under construction.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,486

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:21 pm

Read on Twitter
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#17 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:51 am

Was it reported how much the Grizzlies were asking for in a Iguodala trade? What kind of pick value?
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#18 » by VCfor3 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:07 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:Was it reported how much the Grizzlies were asking for in a Iguodala trade? What kind of pick value?

Rumor is that we were asking for a 1st but no idea what we would actually take. Sounds like there weren't really any offers that were even mildly decent (Rockets considered a Shump S&T but were hesitant to include draft compensation). Waiting till Dec 15th when contracts can be aggregated seems to be the plan, but I half expect the return to be two 2nds+expiring.
LightYearsAhead
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#19 » by LightYearsAhead » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:32 am

Iguodala can't be bought out because the Grizzlies will need his salary in a trade.

Either with Golden State directly or as part of a three or four team scenario where Kyle Anderson and Solomon Hill
are traded along with him for some big 2 time MVP guy.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#20 » by SD2042 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:44 am

LightYearsAhead wrote:Iguodala can't be bought out because the Grizzlies will need his salary in a trade.

Either with Golden State directly or as part of a three or four team scenario where Kyle Anderson and Solomon Hill
are traded along with him for some big 2 time MVP guy.

Iggy can't be brought out unless a deal could not be made by the trade deadline. I'm not sure if I'm reading your statement wrong, but Iggy can't be trade back to GS until after one year after the trade has happened according to the Larry Coon rules. As for trades, anything can happen with the trades between now and the trade deadline.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies