Re: Welcome Tobias Harris 

Post#381 » by aemannarwal » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:55 am

What just happened??
Coreyh88
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#382 » by Coreyh88 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:48 am

Not a fan of how much we resigned him for. Honestly $25 mil is a stretch but I was willing to pay it. Considering that is the same amount of coin kawhi will sign for it's insane. He doesn't even shoot well from 3 and can't defend.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,762

Post#383 » by HotelVitale » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:56 am

Coreyh88 wrote:Not a fan of how much we resigned him for. Honestly $25 mil is a stretch but I was willing to pay it. Considering that is the same amount of coin kawhi will sign for it's insane. He doesn't even shoot well from 3 and can't defend.

If any team had the chance to sign Kawhi, they'd do it. It's not relevant. The only question here is if the Sixers could've signed someone better for that same money, and this season (b/c they won't have cap space next season). Not saying that's a yes but that's what you should be asking.

(Also Harris shoots 3s very well, 40% last season and 41% the season before; there were only like ten guys who shot it better at close to his volume last year. Why do you think the Sixers and other teams wanted to max him?)
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,116

Post#384 » by Arsenal » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:03 am

Tobias is in the crosshairs now. He needs to step his game up to the next level as a 22 ppg guy and the clear #2 option behind Embiid.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,788

Post#385 » by XtremeDunkz » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:04 am

People have to stop getting so worked up about players getting this artificially determined max contract. You should just otherwise refer to it as a "core player" contract that pretty much all high level core roster pieces will get. This is the norm in the NBA. Our "core players" are Joel, Ben, and Tobi. They will all get their max, that doesnt mean they are hall of famers.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,409

Post#386 » by 76ciology » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:27 am

Should slide to SF.

Watching the Raps series, he struggles defending Siakam. Made me doubt his ability as a full time PF. I like him at SF.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mhunt
Rookie
And1: 172

Post#387 » by mhunt » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:55 pm

glad he's back!
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,700

Post#388 » by the_process » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:43 pm

5-180 is a big overpay. But it was expected.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,710

Post#389 » by phillynative » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:48 pm

I want to see him add a go-to shot , improve his ball handling and get quicker on the Peremiter on both ends of the floor.

For that type of money hopefully he has to put more work in.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#390 » by 76ciology » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:16 pm

I was looking at the numbers. Tobias had a decline with his numbers with us, compared when he was with the Clips.

Im doing my research now. And I’m thinking maybe opponents’ bigger and slower PFs would most time be on Gallinari, being bigger and slower than Harris.

I spent time today looking at the youtube and ended up concluding that its not totally the case altho it has some role to it. Like when Clips played the Blazers, Aminu (PF) and Harkless (SG) would alternately switch between Gallo and Tobi. Then there were times like in the 2017-2018 season, SAS would treat Tobi as a SF and he had a big scoring night against them.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#391 » by 76ciology » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:25 am

Sixershoops posted something that got me thinking..

What is Tobias Harris ceiling?

If you ask me, i find him to have a similar development curve like Bradley Beal or CJ. Where their game took a step up after the default playmaker took an absence.

3 level scorers, combo players with average ball skills. Eventually learning how to read the defense and be playmakers.

That and Harris needs to learn how to be a closer. He can be that with a more refined skillset and having the experience to pace himself like how Jimmy does it.
Jams60
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#392 » by Jams60 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:06 am

76ciology wrote:I was looking at the numbers. Tobias had a decline with his numbers with us, compared when he was with the Clips.

Im doing my research now. And I’m thinking maybe opponents’ bigger and slower PFs would most time be on Gallinari, being bigger and slower than Harris.

I spent time today looking at the youtube and ended up concluding that its not totally the case altho it has some role to it. Like when Clips played the Blazers, Aminu (PF) and Harkless (SG) would alternately switch between Gallo and Tobi. Then there were times like in the 2017-2018 season, SAS would treat Tobi as a SF and he had a big scoring night against them.

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/sixers-tobias-harris-brett-brown-jimmy-butler-20190721.html
This article goes a lot of the way in explaining why the downturn in numbers, certainly on offence.
I also got the impression that Harris wasn’t a big fan of Jimmy, and perhaps it was jus5 a case of the squeaky wheel getting the oil. After reading this I think that had Jimmy stayed, Harris was gone,
76ciology
RealGM

Post#393 » by 76ciology » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:38 am

Jams60 wrote:
76ciology wrote:I was looking at the numbers. Tobias had a decline with his numbers with us, compared when he was with the Clips.

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/sixers-tobias-harris-brett-brown-jimmy-butler-20190721.html
This article goes a lot of the way in explaining why the downturn in numbers, certainly on offence.
I also got the impression that Harris wasn’t a big fan of Jimmy, and perhaps it was jus5 a case of the squeaky wheel getting the oil. After reading this I think that had Jimmy stayed, Harris was gone,

this season..
1.) he’ll be able to shoot over smaller defenders if defense puts their PF on Horford
2.) better spacing by replacing Jimmy with Horford
3.) easier time to score with bigger role
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,014

Post#394 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:04 pm

Jams60 wrote:

Interesting article, if he's going to talk the talk, he better walk the walk.

There are plenty of players on this team that need to step up their games, sure would be nice if Harris could do that. He's not getting any younger, the time is now, but being able to score and being able to score under playoff pressure are 2 totally different things.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,418

Post#395 » by Eyeamok » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:45 pm

To me article made it seem like if Harris and Butler were on the same team going forward. Butler's role would have to diminish a lot on the offensive side of the ball.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#396 » by Chris76 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:16 pm

76ciology wrote:
Jams60 wrote:

this season..
1.) he’ll be able to shoot over smaller defenders if defense puts their PF on Horford
2.) better spacing by replacing Jimmy with Horford
3.) easier time to score with bigger role

Tobias did well, he hit his open shots consistently.

Unfortunately with Redick and Embiid's dho's and Embiid and Butler's iso's, Tobias found it difficult to expand his role.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#397 » by mithrandir17 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:49 am

Read on Twitter
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,762

Post#398 » by HotelVitale » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:24 pm

Just wanted to drop a link to these videos someone made that show all of the shots/plays that T Harris was involved in for each of the Nets and Raptors playoff games this year. They average out to about 6 minutes, way more useful than highlight videos (which only show when players succeed) and way way shorter than full games: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tobias+harris+all+game+actions

I keep looking at them since it's summer so starved for ball, and since I've been going back and forth about whether or not Harris can make a leap or be a legit secondary scorer in the PO against a good defense. (Btw, Libertyballers did a decent thing recently on this topic, but it was a little too broadstrokes for my taste.) My main conclusion is the obvious one: he's only really promising off pn'r from the top of the key (his midrange is killer there and it also sets up most of his in-control drives), and next year he needs to be able to run that against great defenses at a very high level to max his potential. Seems like it's that simple. He'll be reliable if not elite as a catch-shoot guy for the next five years, and he's not very good at improvising and messin around and getting a bucket (aka what Jimmy Butler lives for). Looks to me like this year the Sixers need to run the hell out of that pn'r and let Harris speed up his reactions, work on his passing/timing, and figure out how to punish whatever the defense gives him. He's got the pull-up, the hesitation/acceleration, and the size to make that work but he's not there now and it seems like the only path to him becoming a truly dangerous scorer.

EDIT: Also repeating my main concern about the Sixers this year: for two years in a row they've failed to spend the regular season developing an offense that will work or give them the best chance against a real, locked-in defense. We keep doing enough to let our superior talent/size/shooting win games in the RS but then those guys aren't set up to execute in the PO, and we end up just running around or running sets that break down because the defense takes away the lazy things that usually work (i.e. they actually chase shooters, they double Embiid off his 1st dribble but not before, they clog Simmons but stay home on the wing shooters, etc). If there's any logic to the Harris max it has to be that he can be a key part of something more sustainable on offense.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,014

Post#399 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:35 pm

HotelVitale wrote:Just wanted to drop a link to these videos someone made that show all of the shots/plays that T Harris was involved in for each of the Nets and Raptors playoff games this year. They average out to about 6 minutes, way more useful than highlight videos (which only show when players succeed) and way way shorter than full games: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tobias+harris+all+game+actions

I keep looking at them since it's summer so starved for ball, and since I've been going back and forth about whether or not Harris can make a leap or be a legit secondary scorer in the PO against a good defense. (Btw, Libertyballers did a decent thing recently on this topic, but it was a little too broadstrokes for my taste.) My main conclusion is the obvious one: he's only really promising off pn'r from the top of the key (his midrange is killer there and it also sets up most of his in-control drives), and next year he needs to be able to run that against great defenses at a very high level to max his potential. Seems like it's that simple. He'll be reliable if not elite as a catch-shoot guy for the next five years, and he's not very good at improvising and messin around and getting a bucket (aka what Jimmy Butler lives for). Looks to me like this year the Sixers need to run the hell out of that pn'r and let Harris speed up his reactions, work on his passing/timing, and figure out how to punish whatever the defense gives him. He's got the pull-up, the hesitation/acceleration, and the size to make that work but he's not there now and it seems like the only path to him becoming a truly dangerous scorer.

EDIT: Also repeating my main concern about the Sixers this year: for two years in a row they've failed to spend the regular season developing an offense that will work or give them the best chance against a real, locked-in defense. We keep doing enough to let our superior talent/size/shooting win games in the RS but then those guys aren't set up to execute in the PO, and we end up just running around or running sets that break down because the defense takes away the lazy things that usually work (i.e. they actually chase shooters, they double Embiid off his 1st dribble but not before, they clog Simmons but stay home on the wing shooters, etc). If there's any logic to the Harris max it has to be that he can be a key part of something more sustainable on offense.

Everything there sounds great....now you have to explain all of that to BB in simple English, nothing complicated to confuse his brain.

That might take a few months, so good luck.

BB is thinking DHOs to Tobias, just saying.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#400 » by LloydFree » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:47 pm

76ciology wrote:Sixershoops posted something that got me thinking..

What is Tobias Harris ceiling?

If you ask me, i find him to have a similar development curve like Bradley Beal or CJ. Where their game took a step up after the default playmaker took an absence.

3 level scorers, combo players with average ball skills. Eventually learning how to read the defense and be playmakers.

That and Harris needs to learn how to be a closer. He can be that with a more refined skillset and having the experience to pace himself like how Jimmy does it.

The 76ers were 53-29 and lost in the 2nd round in 17/18.
The 76ers were 51-31 and lost in the 2nd round in 18/19.

Who was the 76ers "closer" in 17/18?
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down

Return to Philadelphia 76ers