Around the NBA: FREE AGENCY EXTRAVAGANZA EDITION

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Around the NBA: FREE AGENCY EXTRAVAGANZA EDITION 

Post#1 » by Andre Roberstan » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:14 pm

Post your free agency stuff here. Hot takes, breaking news, etc.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Re: Around the NBA: FREE AGENCY EXTRAVAGANZA EDITION 

Post#2 » by Old Man Game » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:13 pm

Consider this is a post about free agency to get the ball rolling.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,201

Post#3 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:25 pm

What do you guys think it feels like to have cap room to sign players that have basketball skills?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#4 » by Kizz Fastfists » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:36 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:What do you guys think it feels like to have cap room to sign players that have basketball skills?

It doesn't take cap space. It takes imagination and a functioning knowledge of the CBA along with having quality players on decent contracts. GS has no cap sapce and they make moves. Miami has no cap space and, theoretically, added Butler. Milwaukee has no cap space and they make moves. Utah had minimal cap space and they made moves. Philly had no cap space and, theoretically, added Horford.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
acheema0
Sophomore
And1: 104

Post#5 » by acheema0 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:44 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:What do you guys think it feels like to have cap room to sign players that have basketball skills?

It doesn't take cap space. It takes imagination and a functioning knowledge of the CBA along with having quality players on decent contracts. GS has no cap sapce and they make moves. Miami has no cap space and, theoretically, added Butler. Milwaukee has no cap space and they make moves. Utah had minimal cap space and they made moves. Philly had no cap space and, theoretically, added Horford.

Utah had a ton of space and Philly signed Horford using...cap space
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Old Man Game » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:23 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:

Either way just once I'd like to see us be a player in free agency beyond hoping to retain our own free agents.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Old Man Game » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:37 pm

Okay. Alec Burks. So he seems like the sort who will never hit a shot again once he's donned a Thunder uni.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#8 » by spearsy23 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:51 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Okay. Alec Burks. So he seems like the sort who will never hit a shot again once he's donned a Thunder uni.

Seems more like a Schroder type to me. He'll hit several just based on his unwillingness to pass.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Old Man Game » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:49 pm

Good point.

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Old Man Game » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:37 pm

Btw, Joe Lacob's 'No player will ever wear no. 35 again' was weak ass cuck b.s. You don't retire a player's number until that guy actually retires from the league. Them's the rules and I'll hear no other.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,049

Post#11 » by slick_watts » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:28 am

Old Man Game wrote:Btw, Joe Lacob's 'No player will ever wear no. 35 again' was weak ass cuck b.s. You don't retire a player's number until that guy actually retires from the league. Them's the rules and I'll hear no other.

do you watch better call saul? kd's exit and lacob's behavior remind me of when chuck was bought out of the firm and hamlin had all the associates outside to send him off.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Old Man Game » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:29 am

slick_watts wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Btw, Joe Lacob's 'No player will ever wear no. 35 again' was weak ass cuck b.s. You don't retire a player's number until that guy actually retires from the league. Them's the rules and I'll hear no other.

do you watch better call saul? kd's exit and lacob's behavior remind me of when chuck was bought out of the firm and hamlin had all the associates outside to send him off.

I quit watching that show mid-way through season 2, but I did see that episode. Yes.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#13 » by spearsy23 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:46 pm

I thought Utah was going to be a problem, then they signed Jeff Green.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#14 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:53 pm

spearsy23 wrote:I thought Utah was going to be a problem, then they signed Jeff Green.

You can do a lot worse than a veteran jack of all trades type for the end of your bench. I expect that he'll be cheering from the bench most nights.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#15 » by spearsy23 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:29 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:I thought Utah was going to be a problem, then they signed Jeff Green.

You can do a lot worse than a veteran jack of all trades type for the end of your bench. I expect that he'll be cheering from the bench most nights.

Nope. Having Green on your roster guarantees you under deliver. It's been tested.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#16 » by spearsy23 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:17 am

Enes Kanter, Kevon Looney, Daniel Theis, Thomas Bryant, DeAndre Jordan, Ed David, Maxi Kleber, Richaun Holmes, and Frank Kaminsky are all going to end up making more money than DeMarcus cousins next year... For reference just off Achilles tear cousins was 12th in RPM among centers last year.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by slick_watts » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:26 am

spearsy23 wrote:Enes Kanter, Kevon Looney, Daniel Theis, Thomas Bryant, DeAndre Jordan, Ed David, Maxi Kleber, Richaun Holmes, and Frank Kaminsky are all going to end up making more money than DeMarcus cousins next year... For reference just off Achilles tear cousins was 12th in RPM among centers last year.

he was unplayable in the postseason. 700 minutes. cousins is living off rpm priors.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#18 » by spearsy23 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:31 am

slick_watts wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Enes Kanter, Kevon Looney, Daniel Theis, Thomas Bryant, DeAndre Jordan, Ed David, Maxi Kleber, Richaun Holmes, and Frank Kaminsky are all going to end up making more money than DeMarcus cousins next year... For reference just off Achilles tear cousins was 12th in RPM among centers last year.

he was unplayable in the postseason. 700 minutes. cousins is living off rpm priors.

He tore his quad after one game...
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by slick_watts » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:34 am

spearsy23 wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

the dichotomy between him and kd is interesting. kd got his max, four years no less, and seemingly the assumption he'll be relatively ok with the same injury. cousins has the risk factor of being a larger human but it's hard to understand him not getting one of those 2/10 deals going around at least.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#20 » by spearsy23 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:43 am

slick_watts wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

the dichotomy between him and kd is interesting. kd got his max, four years no less, and seemingly the assumption he'll be relatively ok with the same injury. cousins has the risk factor of being a larger human but it's hard to understand him not getting one of those 2/10 deals going around at least.

This is what surprises me. At the very least why didn't the Knicks throw him 2/25 or something. They're going to suck one way or another, rather than signing 3 pf's (two with no real upside), why not take a swing and hope for a huge asset to deal next off-season? He obviously wasnt boogie this year, but guys are never themselves right after missing a year plus.

And I wouldn't have given kd that contract. I think it's a worse injury for him than for cousins.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder