ImageImage

Bucks sign Robin Lopez!!!!

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,569

Re: Bucks sign Robin Lopez!!!! 

Post#281 » by JayMKE » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:50 pm

I'm not sure I buy because Brook did it that Robin can start draining moon shots too, Brook has always had way better touch than Robin. I never expected the Henson stroke tho so who knows, maybe playing with his brother under Coach Bud could be the spark.
FREE GIANNIS
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#282 » by skones » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:56 pm

JayMKE wrote:I'm not sure I buy because Brook did it that Robin can start draining moon shots too, Brook has always had way better touch than Robin. I never expected the Henson stroke tho so who knows, maybe playing with his brother under Coach Bud could be the spark.

I don't think Robin's going to be draining moon-shots, certainly not on volume like Brook, but I DO think he'll be shooting some threes. Two years ago he took a pretty damn high volume of shots from that 16-3 range, 26.7% of his looks that year and he shot 45% from that range. He did regress the following year in which he took 18.6% of his looks from that range and shot 36.7% from that range. At the very least, I don't think it's this non-starter profile that says "no way." Maybe 1 or 2 looks a game shooting 33%? I don't think it's unreasonable. I think that's what we would have ended up with from Henson had he not gotten hurt.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#283 » by Chapter29 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:07 pm

skones wrote:
Chapter29 wrote:
skones wrote:
Deal to clear space? Have you seen our cap sheet? We're sitting at like 122ish committed after the Leuer stretch. Ersan doesn't get us to where we'd need to be.

He signed for what 8M? Ersan does get you close.

"Close" isn't good enough that's the problem. Dumping PC and Brown to get there doesn't make sense either given what they're paid. We just don't have tradeable contracts that make a difference.

If we wanted it to happen it would have. Pat C isn't going to be the deal breaker in anything.
Giannis
is
UponUs
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#284 » by Chuck Diesel » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:28 am

Really hope we get Robin vs Ibaka round 2 in the ECF.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#285 » by M-C-G » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:37 am

This is a good deal that will save Giannis a lot of wear and tear from playing too many minutes at the five. Other than the Middleton five year which I would have easily did the sign and trade with him and keep Brogdon, I am pretty happy with an incredibly difficult off season to manage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,018

Post#286 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:12 am

skones wrote:
JayMKE wrote:I'm not sure I buy because Brook did it that Robin can start draining moon shots too, Brook has always had way better touch than Robin. I never expected the Henson stroke tho so who knows, maybe playing with his brother under Coach Bud could be the spark.

I don't think Robin's going to be draining moon-shots, certainly not on volume like Brook, but I DO think he'll be shooting some threes. Two years ago he took a pretty damn high volume of shots from that 16-3 range, 26.7% of his looks that year and he shot 45% from that range. He did regress the following year in which he took 18.6% of his looks from that range and shot 36.7% from that range. At the very least, I don't think it's this non-starter profile that says "no way." Maybe 1 or 2 looks a game shooting 33%? I don't think it's unreasonable. I think that's what we would have ended up with from Henson had he not gotten hurt.

He is 11-51 in a 11 year career. You think him going from 1 make a year to 1 make every two games on a slightly below average percentage is reasonable?

OT: cool Wes and Rolo are friends. Hopefully we have some good chemistry next year. I'm still holding out hope of Duds being a 11th man ring chaser.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#287 » by skones » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:23 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
skones wrote:

He is 11-51 in a 11 year career. You think him going from 1 make a year to 1 make every two games on a slightly below average percentage is reasonable?

OT: cool Wes and Rolo are friends. Hopefully we have some good chemistry next year. I'm still holding out hope of Duds being a 11th man ring chaser.

I said it wasn't unreasonable. If I didn't believe that, I wouldn't have written it. 1.5-2 attempts a game is selective and low volume. Being 11-51 in a career where he's been told NOT to shoot them for the majority of his time on the court is a little different than a flat out incapability. The guy has shot 70+% from inside 3 feet the last three season and he's not overpowering people and dunking through them. He's got some touch. There are guys peppered across the league who didn't shoot threes at all and then started doing so. That's the way the league is moving. I don't think using a career sample is particularly apt as a result, which is why I stated my case with supplemental numbers.

Given Bud has done it with Horford, Millsap, Dedmon, Henson, Lopez (at least taking it to a further degree), is forcing Giannis to increase his volume, etc. There's precedence for it with this staff.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#288 » by bizarro » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:24 am

How you don’t Appreciate Ro-Lo in a back-up role on a 2 year deal is stupefying to me. But, hey, that’s just me!
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,415

Post#289 » by MiltownHawkeye » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:27 am

I don't really think there was any point last season where I was thinking "man if only we had another bulky center on our roster" which is why I'm not really crazy about this deal. But it is good to remember that Brook was uncharacteristically healthy this season and it'll be nice to have a competent big if/when he has to miss some time. This could easily be one of those "whatever" moves that ends up being huge down the road (like signing Connaughton).
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#290 » by BUCKnation » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:54 am

Was worried the using the room exception on him would cost us an SG, but now with Wes Matthews signing, I like this move even more in retrospect. He'll be very useful against the big lineups of Philly and Toronto.
Dante80
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Post#291 » by Dante80 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:10 am

DrWood wrote:
Dante80 wrote:RoLo is a very good sign. He is a solid Center, we get him for cheap, will fit the team well and also start hitting them threes. Also, the brother memes!!

$4.76 million a year isn't cheap.

If one twentieth of the yearly cap is too expensive for our main backup C, I really don't know what cheap is. You cannot expect to take all players for the minimum.

I really cannot find any fault with this signing, especially when seeing the FA alternatives on the position.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#292 » by Jez2983 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:58 am

The more I think about it the more I worry there will be too much fun on this roster.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Dante80
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Post#293 » by Dante80 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:51 am

Jez2983 wrote:The more I think about it the more I worry there will be too much fun on this roster.

Have you seen Bud coach? Remember what happened to Henson every time he made a booboo?
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,934

Post#294 » by soxperry » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:25 am

bucksfansince88 wrote:
th87 wrote:I really hope they try to look exactly alike. A split second of confusion from a defender makes all the difference.

My guess is we see Robin end up being a pretty solid 3pt shooter after getting the greenlight and confidence instilled to let it fly. also- wishful thinking but my guess is he ends up shooting it at a 33-38% clip for us

Thats a pretty big range, thats basically Bledsoe to Middleton.

I dont think he will hit 38 but he likely wont be used like Brook so he can be more selective and probably more corner 3s. So i think 35 is possible.
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,934

Post#295 » by soxperry » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:31 am

MiltownHawkeye wrote:I don't really think there was any point last season where I was thinking "man if only we had another bulky center on our roster" which is why I'm not really crazy about this deal. But it is good to remember that Brook was uncharacteristically healthy this season and it'll be nice to have a competent big if/when he has to miss some time. This could easily be one of those "whatever" moves that ends up being huge down the road (like signing Connaughton).

I think he helps a lot against Embiid, and that could be a big deal especially if Kawhi leaves and its us vs Philly for supremacy.
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,917

Post#296 » by Swan Vox » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:56 pm

RoLo is going to be fun. I approve. : )
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,648

Post#297 » by emunney » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:00 pm

skones wrote:

Robin Lopez shooting corner 3s is far more reasonable than John Henson from above the break.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,620

Post#298 » by Gianstoppable » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:12 pm

John Henson used to drain outside shots in practice and warmups all the time. He actually had a pretty solid touch for a guy who never took them in game. I have faith RoLo will play good D, get buckets inside, drive the opposing center crazy (we needed a guy who can be an enforcer) and pop off some unexpected threes. Love the signing.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,917

Post#299 » by Swan Vox » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:19 pm

So from what I understand, RoLo is just as big and strong and unmovable as Brook, but actually can switch out on and defend the perimeter? Sign me up. That’s going to be huge when we play mobile 3pt shooting bigs.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#300 » by leroyjw10 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:58 pm

If you had told me before free agency that the Bucks would get Brook and Robin Lopez for an average of less than $9 million each for the next two years, I'd have said you're crazy.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks