ImageImageImage

Pat Riley

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Re: Pat Riley 

Post#81 » by Heat_team02 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:37 pm

If you are a big name free agent that cares about stats, this is not the destination for you.

Head Coach: Spo
Asst Coach: Dan Craig (Coached Skyforce for 1 season)
Asst Coach": Malik Allen
Asst Coach": Chris Quinn
Asst Coach": Anthony Carter (Got booed playing here & cheered when he forgot to Opt In by 12Am)
Asst Coach: Octavio De La Grana (Assistant Coach Skyforce (2013-16)

Who does coach turn to during timeouts for advice?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
somerandomdude
Analyst
And1: 8,472

Post#82 » by somerandomdude » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:48 pm

contract wrote:
Spoiler:
somerandomdude wrote:I think his only mistake the past few years was not firing Spoelstra, a guy who has underachieved for all but one or two years of his entire career. I've elaborated on this when the season ended, so I won't bother getting into the details. I'll also add that, the last few years, we haven't had a real offense outside of 4 chuckers on the court at all times, and his teams are terrible at executing plays out of a timeout with the game on the line.

As far as the contracts go, I think the context matters: we still had Wade and Bosh, so we signed Dragic and Hassan. Go back a few years and that's a good team to contend with in the East. Of course, as well all know, Bosh gets injured and Wade leaves. **** happens.

Anyway, this really should've been Spo's do-or-die season to prove he can get his teams to at least meet expectations, but he couldn't even do that. Despite another disappointing season, Riley kept him on board. I think Riley deserves criticism for that, but I'm not in favor of forcing Riley out. I remember when Dolphins fans wanted Shula out and the franchise has been cursed ever since, so be careful of what you wish for...

You think this team underachieved?
IIRC, we were the 6-8th seed for most of the season and dropped off towards the end. And I thought for sure we were at least a playoff team so, yeah, I think we underachieved. Am I wrong in thinking that?
somerandomdude
Analyst
And1: 8,472

Post#83 » by somerandomdude » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:58 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
Spoiler:
somerandomdude wrote:I think his only mistake the past few years was not firing Spoelstra, a guy who has underachieved for all but one or two years of his entire career. I've elaborated on this when the season ended, so I won't bother getting into the details. I'll also add that, the last few years, we haven't had a real offense outside of 4 chuckers on the court at all times, and his teams are terrible at executing plays out of a timeout with the game on the line.

As far as the contracts go, I think the context matters: we still had Wade and Bosh, so we signed Dragic and Hassan. Go back a few years and that's a good team to contend with in the East. Of course, as well all know, Bosh gets injured and Wade leaves. **** happens.

Anyway, this really should've been Spo's do-or-die season to prove he can get his teams to at least meet expectations, but he couldn't even do that. Despite another disappointing season, Riley kept him on board. I think Riley deserves criticism for that, but I'm not in favor of forcing Riley out. I remember when Dolphins fans wanted Shula out and the franchise has been cursed ever since, so be careful of what you wish for.

Also, I really don't know much about this draft, but from the comments, it seems that expectations were pretty high for the 13th pick. Was there a good player available? Obviously there must've been, because people are upset with Riley. Either way, it's the 13th pick, so it's not like this is a pick that would make or break the next 5 years of our franchise.

Dude... Shula pissed away Marino's career. Dan Marino is the GOAT QB to ever play in the NFL. Anyone who knows football knows this. It's a tragedy that he never won even a single Super Bowl. That blame lies directly on Don Shula.
Spoiler:
For a big chunk of Dan Marino's PRIME.... Shula kept the worst defensive coordinator in the history of the NFL... Tom Olivadotti.

Olivadotti joined the Dolphins as the Defensive Coordinator in 1987. For the next nine years, the team was christened the "Olfans", because they had no "D". For 7 years of his 9 year tenure, Olivadotti led a defense that was ranked in the bottom half of the NFL. What makes this even more painful is the knowledge that these years coincided with Marino's prime. The Dolphins consistently put up big numbers. Unfortunately, so did every team they played. It's nauseating to think of how far the Dolphins might have been able to go with even an average defense.

Ironically, Olivadotti's best season statistically was also his last. Jimmy Johnson fired Olivadotti after a humiliating 37 - 22 defeat to the Buffalo Bills in the playoffs. More significant than the big points total, was the AFC record 341 yards that Buffalo gained on the ground. What made this a particularly unacceptable beating was the fact that Miami had lost to this same Bills team only 2 weeks earlier when the Bills totaled over 200 yards rushing. Olivadotti's game plan was not adjusted in the slightest.

Yeah I'm still upset about Marino.
You have legit criticisms, like people have with Riley, but answer me this: when was the last time the Dolphins were that good?
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,901

Post#84 » by eddieheatfan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:00 pm

Heat_team02 wrote:If you are a big name free agent that cares about stats, this is not the destination for you.

Head Coach: Spo
Asst Coach: Dan Craig (Coached Skyforce for 1 season)
Asst Coach": Malik Allen
Asst Coach": Chris Quinn
Asst Coach": Anthony Carter (Got booed playing here & cheered when he forgot to Opt In by 12Am)
Asst Coach: Octavio De La Grana (Assistant Coach Skyforce (2013-16)

Who does coach turn to during timeouts for advice?
dont make me cry,man :(
Rapaz
RealGM
And1: 39,056

Post#85 » by Rapaz » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:12 pm

Bowl Bowl. Retire to avoid further embarrassment.
rickyt31
Sophomore
And1: 409

Post#86 » by rickyt31 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:20 pm

I'm giving him and Spo this season before I make a decision. We don't have a star player others want to join and we never seem to have draft picks to build through the draft. There are a few options he may have to get rid of some of these bad contracts and or bring in someone with potential. So I'm going to wait. Everything doesn't have to happen this year, but I need to see one out of these three. 1. Free up some cap space for next offseason. 2. Acquire some draft picks 3. Pull in a star player or one with star potential.
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,736

Post#87 » by contract » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:58 pm

rickyt31 wrote:I'm giving him and Spo this season before I make a decision. We don't have a star player others want to join and we never seem to have draft picks to build through the draft. There are a few options he may have to get rid of some of these bad contracts and or bring in someone with potential. So I'm going to wait. Everything doesn't have to happen this year, but I need to see one out of these three. 1. Free up some cap space for next offseason. 2. Acquire some draft picks 3. Pull in a star player or one with star potential.

We already have > $30 million in cap space available for next season ... if we want it.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
Dr_Heat
RealGM
And1: 96,866

Post#88 » by Dr_Heat » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:18 am

Ban OP for 60 days for not having faith in Pat Riley, smh
Dr_Heat wrote: Oof
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#89 » by Hoops23 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:38 am

In Pat Riley we trust!

Lets GO Heat!
Maroko
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,432

Post#90 » by Maroko » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:39 am

"OP still not banned yet"

HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#91 » by HeatIn5 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:17 am

Read on Twitter
Maroko
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,432

Post#92 » by Maroko » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:48 pm

Maroko wrote:"OP still not banned yet"

Please add 90 days ban to OP

Thank you
Dr_Heat
RealGM
And1: 96,866

Post#93 » by Dr_Heat » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:56 pm

OP deserves more than a ban for not believing Riley . How does that crow taste? lol
Dr_Heat wrote: Oof
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,164

Post#94 » by Heat3 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:28 pm

Pat Riley is done. The game has passed him by.....

:lol:
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

contract
RealGM

Post#95 » by contract » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:17 pm

One thing I will give Pat credit for is that there's no number of teams that he and his crew won't include in a trade. One of these days he's going to pull off a trade that involves all 30 NBA teams + Seattle. :lol:
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#96 » by HeatIn5 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:23 pm

Dr_Heat wrote:OP deserves more than a ban for not believing Riley . How does that crow taste? lol

Huh?? Most of my post is about the great stuff Riley does and did. The only things I questioned about him were his JJ and Dion deals being reactionary to 30-11, and his 1am press conference where he sounded like a drunk old man at the bar. I also said he should stick around as an advisor instead of as GM. I didn't ask for his head, sheesh.

That doesn't change, even though I think he did a good job here

Read on Twitter
contract
RealGM

Post#97 » by contract » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:31 am

Dr_Heat wrote:OP deserves more than a ban for not believing Riley . How does that crow taste? lol

I can't speak for the OP, but I don't believe in him, and haven't tasted any crow yet.
Every time Pat does ANYTHING, people rush to praise him, but we're no closer to a championship today than we were last week.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,405

Post#98 » by RexBoyWonder » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:50 am

This trade can only be judged in 4 years, let's see we can pull off more moves to truly contend. I'm not sure Jimmy will age well enough to attract a second star, but we'll see.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#99 » by HIF » Tue Jul 2, 2019 9:45 am

Nice to see you're back Pat.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,197

Post#100 » by BBallFreak » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:49 pm

contract wrote:

I can't speak for the OP, but I don't believe in him, and haven't tasted any crow yet.
Every time Pat does ANYTHING, people rush to praise him, but we're no closer to a championship today than we were last week.

That's just patently false. First, we are closer to a championship. If things go right, we're a legitimate playoff team. Last year, the best we could hope for was being a borderline playoff team. If you're actually in the post season you're closer than if you're not in the post season. No reason we should miss this year unless Jimmy gets injured.

Second, Riley didn't make just one move, he made a flurry of them. He dumped Whiteside, sent Harkless and a heavily protected first to LA, and traded Josh for Jimmy and Meyers Leonard. He also drafted Herro and Okpala, both of whom I believe will be very good.

This offseason has been a homerun for Pat Riley so far...

Return to Miami Heat